Back from the Game, Northampton Town 24th August

154 posts
under the tin

Re: Back from the Game, Northampton Town 24th August

by under the tin » 25 Aug 2010 09:35

pea As disappointing as last night was, if last season taught us anything it was that most others in this league are just as crap as we are. All it takes is a run of good form and you sail up the table. We've still got Gylfi, Jimmy and Tabb and time is on our side.

It's not a crap league, it's a very tight one, where the margin between those challenging at the top end, and those struggling at the bottom is smaller than in any other division.
Consider:
A leaky, makeshift defence
Forwards struggling to score
A manager with absolutely no funds to address this problem, and the consequent very real and present danger of our flair players being sold off, either now or in January.

Go figure.

johnny5

by johnny5 » 25 Aug 2010 09:49

Jake Taylor is an attacking midfielder / striker....not a right back!! its not his fault he was asked to play there but what options do we have. To have a go at an 18 year old whos trying to learn his trade is patehtic especially when he was so far out of position............

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Aug 2010 09:52

johnny5 Jake Taylor is an attacking midfielder / striker....not a right back!! its not his fault he was asked to play there but what options do we have. To have a go at an 18 year old whos trying to learn his trade is patehtic especially when he was so far out of position............

I ask again, WTF is he doing taking a penalty: It's his debut, he got rinsed - an absolutely nailed on miss

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Aug 2010 09:54

I was castigated the other day for saying that I don't have any excitement prior to games at the moment, due to not knowing who we are going to have left come the end of the transfer window and seeing some of the players we know we WILL have left. And Cummings is so bloody bad he can't even get in that team yesterday. It doesn't matter that some people only paid £2, £5 or whatever to watch that - it was utterly, utterly soul destroying. Kebe tried his best I thought - and I'm pretty sure Gylfi was on the bench to make up numbers and someone is tracking him. I hope I am completely wrong though.

I thought Mills was did pretty well - at least he looked like he was trying and I'll echo the sentiments of whoever LOL'ed at the complete idiots who wanted to see Hamer in goal in place of Feds.

They should all hang their heads in shame, though I agree the ref didn't help matters.

I said to Focher at half time that's what games will be like if we get relegated at the end of the season. :cry:

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 25 Aug 2010 10:08

johnny5 Jake Taylor is an attacking midfielder / striker....not a right back!! its not his fault he was asked to play there but what options do we have. To have a go at an 18 year old whos trying to learn his trade is patehtic especially when he was so far out of position............

so why did we bring him on and not Bryn?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Aug 2010 10:12

this is the carling cup isnt it?
i wonder why everyone suddenly cares when most couldnt be arsed to even turn up

shit game, shit performance, learn from, and move on

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 25 Aug 2010 10:13

brendywendy this is the carling cup isnt it?

I care , I paid my money, I turned up, last night was unacceptable for a championship team, worse than barnsley at the same stage last season
Last edited by weybridgewanderer on 25 Aug 2010 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Aug 2010 10:14

But some of those players "are our future" and if we get many more injuries, that's who'll be representing our team this season - plus, tbf, even the first teamers were a bit "meh".

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 25 Aug 2010 10:16

Royal Lady

But some of those players "are our future" and if we get many more injuries, that's who'll be representing our team this season - plus, tbf, even the first teamers were a bit "meh".

i will treat you and the other half to a beer in the golden lion next season,so all is not lost:)

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Aug 2010 10:18

is that near Seven Sisters?

See you there.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 25 Aug 2010 10:23

i think my highlight of the evening was floyd rising out his seat bellowing "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS" some 3 seconds before Antonio wound up a left foot shot that nearly left the Spakker Dome.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 25 Aug 2010 10:30

Schards#2

I ask again, WTF is he doing taking a penalty: It's his debut, he got rinsed - an absolutely nailed on miss

Thought this the moment he walked up, didn't expect Church to score his either. We should have hammered them, Antonio was the best player on the pitch until he picked up a knock and drifted out of the game.

Hamer was awful, not good enough for this level, not good enough to be a keeper. Their keeper, Jansson, was far better. Excellent shot stopper, but once or twice there was Reading scraps in the box that should've been put away. Hamer should learn that, like Jansson, he's a shot-stopper not a keeper that comes of his line to drop the ball.

Howard shouldn't be at the club either. He needs to get rid of the ball quicker and not try to do everything himself.

Williams was shit. What was the thinking behind that?

Weirdly I thought that when we went forward we looked good, but there was no final product. I don't think you can blame the referee, despite turning down one (or was it two?) stonewall penalties as we should've been tearing through them at will.

Well... At least Mills scored a hat-trick :lol:

royal-biscuit-man

by royal-biscuit-man » 25 Aug 2010 10:31

I'm glad those idiots in the Northampton end, most notably the man who decided to pull his trousers down, were immediately thrown out last night. :lol:

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 25 Aug 2010 10:33

royalsteve TAYLOR good when he came on....were you drunk or the refs brother......he was terrible...skinned almost every time

that was terrible...worst performance in last 5 years at least

only players who deserve any credit were noel hunt but id only give him 5/10

as for taylor and hamer wtf -10/10 each

hamer imo made an even bigger blunder for their 1st than feds against forest, 2nd was also partly his fault as was the 3rd

as for the ref.....he robbed us.....their 3rd goal was timed at 5mins 10 by the guy sitting in front of me with a stopwatch...this after he'd just missed a stonewall pen and the ball had gone out anyway!!!

we were robbed although in fairness we deserved nothing...cobblers outplayed us 2nd half it was almost embarrassing

best players on the pitch were the cobblers stiker, their left winger and their keeper

our best player was yeh no-one

To be fair to taylor he's a fecking striker!!!!
Im more pissed off at BM playing him at right back. I know the kid is good but playing him at right back in a game where we're playing shite is not going to help him develop as a striker!

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 25 Aug 2010 10:35

royal-biscuit-man I'm glad those idiots in the Northampton end, most notably the man who decided to pull his trousers down, were immediately thrown out last night. :lol:

Best bit of the night was when they decided to celebrate the goal that was offside :lol:

Also, I don't understand why people started walking out when Reading were 2-1 up in the 90th minute and missed all of extra-time/penalties, it's just about alright during a championship game because you're only going to miss 5 minutes, rather than 45 minutes

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Aug 2010 10:35

kwik-silva
royal-biscuit-man I'm glad those idiots in the Northampton end, most notably the man who decided to pull his trousers down, were immediately thrown out last night. :lol:

Best bit of the night was when they decided to celebrate the goal that was offside :lol:

Also, I don't understand why people started walking out when Reading were 2-1 up in the 90th minute and missed all of extra-time/penalties, it's just about alright during a championship game because you're only going to miss 5 minutes, rather than 45 minutes

tbf, they didn't miss much did they and they got home a damned sight quicker than we did.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 25 Aug 2010 10:39

frimmers3
Royal Lady

i will treat you and the other half to a beer in the golden lion next season,so all is not lost:)

Lux - I'd avoid it like the plague, small dodgy boozer 400 yards along from the Wreck run by an Ex Aldershot captain. I'd insist on a beer in the Red Lion instead.

Meeko

by Meeko » 25 Aug 2010 10:46

well last night was quite amazing how we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Its hard to understand what happened to the ref in the last few minutes, I was sitting in the lower west, right at the front in the corner where Long was taken out after howards shot-stone wall pen, but what then made it even more confusing was when the ball that had gone out of play by a couple of feet was deemed not to have gone out and they carried on! Even there defender looked as confused as we did as to why he was playing on! However even if these decisions had gone our way it would have just made the club think we actually are ok.

The one thing amoungst all others that stands out is our strikers not even shooting at goal, Jem hitting conversions all evening was not ideal but at least he tried-but in the last 5 mins, long was running at the defence, I think one to beat on the edge of the area and he did not want to shoot, he did everything to wait to find a player to pass to rather than have a go himself. Made me miss Forster's selfishness, he would never pass in that position,we are like Rabbits in headlights as soon as we get the edge of the area!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 25 Aug 2010 10:58

Ben Hamer is going out with Louise Lytton (ex Eastenders - Ruby )

She was watching her butterfingers boyfriend with his family.

HTH

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Aug 2010 11:01

Schards#2

Presumably he's known within the club for being a good penalty taker and has enough about him for them to think he could handle the pressure.

I remember a certain young and inexperienced pro taking a couple of crucial penalties last year and doing ok.

All players can miss a penalty and if he, perhaps under the exuberance of youth, felt like taking one then fair play to him. I was surprised that he was put in ahead of the likes of Howard though.

154 posts