Coventry - back from the lame: drawing, drawing Reading

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coventry - back from the lame: drawing, drawing Reading

by Snowball » 13 Dec 2010 10:21

OK so the wingers play well and then get heavily marked

Why don't they change style/play for a while, cross over, work inside, move inside as deep striker whatever?

Mac?

and if we are playing Elwood and are devoid of midfield guile, wouldn't Tabb be better than Karacan?

If Howard worked harder, won more tackles, he'd be the man, but Tabb works hard and can make/get goals

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Dec 2010 10:38

I don't think the re-investment in the side with the introduction of Kishanishvili, Harte and Leigterwood represents much of a financial cost.

The latter two won't be on big Championship wages, and probably not big wages for us either. Kishanishvili won't be on big money for us either, especially as Blackburn are presumably picking up some of the tab otherwise we'd have signed him on a perm deal instead taking him on loan for the rest of his Blackburn contract.

If this is the extent of our investment, alongside a team of 'cheap' buys, youth products and Matt Mills, and it isn't going to increase, then we're not looking to move forward and really compete with any real anger.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 13 Dec 2010 11:41

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 280061.stm

Oh my giddy auntie! How many foddering chances does Shane Long need?!?!?!? Let's face it, on another day (and with another striker) that would have been 5 or so......

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Dec 2010 11:44

FiNeRaIn Sorry, I'm not believing this imaginary debt malarky over shortfalls,etc Sounds like excuses to me. Other clubs have had absolutely nowhere near the income we have had in the last 4/5 years, yet appear to be in a far better financial position. It doesn't add up im afraid.

:|

LOL! personally i dont believe you exist either

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Dec 2010 11:47

Hoop Blah I don't think the re-investment in the side with the introduction of Kishanishvili, Harte and Leigterwood represents much of a financial cost.

The latter two won't be on big Championship wages, and probably not big wages for us either. Kishanishvili won't be on big money for us either, especially as Blackburn are presumably picking up some of the tab otherwise we'd have signed him on a perm deal instead taking him on loan for the rest of his Blackburn contract.

If this is the extent of our investment, alongside a team of 'cheap' buys, youth products and Matt Mills, and it isn't going to increase, then we're not looking to move forward and really compete with any real anger.

even 10k per week is half a million a year, id imagine that all three are on that.
so thats 1.5 million. - 4 million shortfall in budget, -1/2 million in transfer fees, etc etc

7 million just dont go a long way :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Dec 2010 11:48

this January is going to show just how much ambition Madejski has to get us back up.

got feck all to do with JM.

we have a budget, know how much money we have/havent got- he isnt putting owt in, so how on gods green earth is it at all to do with him what we do in jan?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Dec 2010 13:21

brendywendy
this January is going to show just how much ambition Madejski has to get us back up.

we have a budget, know how much money we have/havent got- he isnt putting owt in, so how on gods green earth is it at all to do with him what we do in jan?

Quite unbelievable how some keep defending Nick Clegg, sorry Madejski!

Says he will do things and then completely fails to deliver. Says he wants out, yet whilst other clubs change hands like it's going out of fashion, he somehow can't (bring himself to?) offload the incredibly well run RFC. At the same time, he still wants to be the hero and for supporters to keep digging their hands into their pockets despite his refusal to do so. Yet just like Clegg, he and his followers will continue to keep telling us that he's the best thing since sliced bread and that we really are dumb in not realising that we are far better off under him.

And talking of budgets, are you really saying the £7M windfall for the Sig had been budgeted for? If so, no wonder Madejski is rich, with an ability to predict the future like that, he must be winning the lottery on a regular basis.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 13 Dec 2010 13:28

RoyalBlue And talking of budgets, are you really saying the £7M windfall for the Sig had been budgeted for? If so, no wonder Madejski is rich, with an ability to predict the future like that, he must be winning the lottery on a regular basis.

Nope, the sale stopped RFC going down the creek without a paddle at the end of the season.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 13 Dec 2010 13:33

brendywendy
FiNeRaIn Sorry, I'm not believing this imaginary debt malarky over shortfalls,etc Sounds like excuses to me. Other clubs have had absolutely nowhere near the income we have had in the last 4/5 years, yet appear to be in a far better financial position. It doesn't add up im afraid.

Think you need to take a closer look at the other clubs finances FR :roll:

Sheff Utd, Ipswich etc will be league 1 and in adminstration within a couple of years.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Dec 2010 13:50

Wycombe Royal
Negative_Jeff As for the pathetic booing of Marlon King, the bloke is entitled to earn a living.

Yes and people are entitled to voice their opinion of him (without being racist like you suggest in jest). He was convicted of a crime that the majority of men (and women) are disgusted by so in my opinion the booing was not pathetic - far from it in fact. He will get far worse at other stadiums.

This quote from King shows how arrogant, unrepetant and/or deluded he is:

"MARLON KING insists he is glad to play the panto villain for opposing fans – because it means they fear he’ll score against them.

King, who had his appeal against a sexual assault conviction turned down on Thursday, was taunted by Reading fans throughout this goalless affair.

But he claims it doesn’t affect him – despite having failed to score in open play in his 11 games since joining the Sky Blues.

After serving eight months of an 18-month sentence for his latest offence and a further stint in jail for receiving stolen goods eight years ago, King insists he is used to stick from fans.

He said: “Even before everything happened, I always had people singing songs and giving me stick and I see that as a compliment because it means I’m a threat to their team.”"

The booing had nothing to do with the fact that he was a threat and everything to do with the fact that he is a piece of low-life scum. The fact that Coventry feel he deserves to continue to be paid handsomely to play in a sport where the stars are often latched upon as role models by kids disgusts me. Still, what can we expect with a morally bankrupt manager like Boothroyd who is prepared to make light of King's offences, portray him as the victim and then joke about the boos 'I always think they are starting to sing my name' on national tv.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Dec 2010 13:52

Tony Le Mesmer
brendywendy

Think you need to take a closer look at the other clubs finances FR :roll:

Sheff Utd, Ipswich etc will be league 1 and in adminstration within a couple of years.

Here we go again! Yet more horror stories about the bogeyman from those who insist that Madejski's way is the right/only way! This despite all the clubs who were supposedly going to disappear, went into administration and came out again. Pompey were supposedly dead and buried. Now look at them!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 13 Dec 2010 13:53

For the record :

wiki King has convictions for 14 offences, dating from 1997. He received fines, driving bans, community service sentences, a rehabilitation order and orders to pay compensation on convictions including: theft from a person and from a car, criminal damage, and attempting to obtain property by deception; fraudulent use of vehicle licence document, driving without insurance, speeding, drink driving; a wounding incident while playing amateur football, and two cases involving assault of young women rejecting his advances in the Soho area of London.

Two cases have led to imprisonment. In May 2002 he received an eighteen month prison sentence for receiving stolen goods, in relation to a BMW convertible that he was found driving. He was found not guilty of a charge of assaulting a police officer in a related case. ...... Gillingham continued to pay his salary while he was in jail, and supported in his appeal, which resulted in the sentence being reduced to nine months, and he was released on licence after five months, returning to the Gillingham team within two days of his release. In December 2008, again in the Soho area, he was arrested on suspicion of punching a 20 year-old female university student in the face, causing a broken nose and split lip for which she was treated in hospital. He was later convicted of sexual assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and sentenced to 18 months in prison and placed on the sex offender register for seven years. Wigan Athletic immediately initiated the cancellation of his contract. ..... After his release, he made an appeal against the conviction which was unsuccessful.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Dec 2010 13:58

Pompey were supposedly dead and buried. Now look at them!

They have a good first 11 but they still have major debt issues.

We've not seen the last of their troubles IMO

Sheffield United will probably go down to League 1, they have horrendous problems

Sheffield Wednesday have suffered trying to service a monster debt.

Ipswich are in trouble.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Dec 2010 14:00

You forget how big profits the likes of Ipswich, Derby, Sheff Utd, Bristol City etc have announced in the last few months.

Obviously they don't have a Chairman like ours.

:roll:

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Dec 2010 14:01

Svlad Cjelli For the record :

wiki King has convictions for 14 offences, dating from 1997. He received fines, driving bans, community service sentences, a rehabilitation order and orders to pay compensation on convictions including: theft from a person and from a car, criminal damage, and attempting to obtain property by deception; fraudulent use of vehicle licence document, driving without insurance, speeding, drink driving; a wounding incident while playing amateur football, and two cases involving assault of young women rejecting his advances in the Soho area of London.

Two cases have led to imprisonment. In May 2002 he received an eighteen month prison sentence for receiving stolen goods, in relation to a BMW convertible that he was found driving. He was found not guilty of a charge of assaulting a police officer in a related case. ...... Gillingham continued to pay his salary while he was in jail, and supported in his appeal, which resulted in the sentence being reduced to nine months, and he was released on licence after five months, returning to the Gillingham team within two days of his release. In December 2008, again in the Soho area, he was arrested on suspicion of punching a 20 year-old female university student in the face, causing a broken nose and split lip for which she was treated in hospital. He was later convicted of sexual assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and sentenced to 18 months in prison and placed on the sex offender register for seven years. Wigan Athletic immediately initiated the cancellation of his contract. ..... After his release, he made an appeal against the conviction which was unsuccessful.

"When I heard Marlon King was playing, I was glad I didn't bring my car."

God bless Geordie...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Dec 2010 14:12

brendywendy even 10k per week is half a million a year, id imagine that all three are on that.
so thats 1.5 million. - 4 million shortfall in budget, -1/2 million in transfer fees, etc etc

I seriously doubt we're paying anyone in our squad £10k a week, let alone a 33 year old guy we signed from Carlisle or a couple of loanee's who's own club will be picking up a share of their wages still.

I don't doubt that the finances dictate we're careful with what we spend though.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Dec 2010 14:27

Hoop Blah I seriously doubt we're paying anyone in our squad £10k a week,

I can say with a 99.9% certainty that we are.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Dec 2010 15:01

RoyalBlue
brendywendy

Quite unbelievable how some keep defending Nick Clegg, sorry Madejski!

Says he will do things and then completely fails to deliver. Says he wants out, yet whilst other clubs change hands like it's going out of fashion, he somehow can't (bring himself to?) offload the incredibly well run RFC. At the same time, he still wants to be the hero and for supporters to keep digging their hands into their pockets despite his refusal to do so. Yet just like Clegg, he and his followers will continue to keep telling us that he's the best thing since sliced bread and that we really are dumb in not realising that we are far better off under him.

And talking of budgets, are you really saying the £7M windfall for the Sig had been budgeted for? If so, no wonder Madejski is rich, with an ability to predict the future like that, he must be winning the lottery on a regular basis.

im not defending him you obsessed loon!, im just saying that pragmatically speaking its irrelevant. he gives the budget to spend based on the money the club brings in, and then the manager makes decisions on what to do with the budget.

i have not had one broken promise from madejski. if you dont know the difference between an ambition and a promise i cant help you.

and no im not saying the 7 million has all gone(by my crude maths above id say theres about a million left :lol: ). im saying that just looking at the in column, and saying - 7 million in for sig, 80 billion for all the others sold, wheres it all gone- is always going to leave you confused as to the financial situation. there are two columns in the ledger for a reason.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Dec 2010 15:04

Hoop Blah
brendywendy even 10k per week is half a million a year, id imagine that all three are on that.

I seriously doubt we're paying anyone in our squad £10k a week, let alone a 33 year old guy we signed from Carlisle or a couple of loanee's who's own club will be picking up a share of their wages still.

I don't doubt that the finances dictate we're careful with what we spend though.

id imagine all our experienced pros like Mikele, griffin, kish, howard :o, would be,ill give you harte. :lol:
but im only going on the wages payed the last time we were in this league-they probably have gone down sinse then considering we used to lose 6 million a season at that point.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 13 Dec 2010 18:11

brendywendy -they probably have gone down sinse then considering we used to lose 6 million a season at that point.

A lot of that was down to decent bonuses for players and staff for promotion, up to £1m for a top individual, and I seem to recall JM saying that the bonuses had been set too high. Once again I am happy to be proved wrong.