Back from the game - Preston

174 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Preston

by andrew1957 » 05 Apr 2011 23:34

SHORT AND CURLY Just seen Brown on Sky Sports saying the ref cost his team tonight!

CHRIST ON A BIKE WTF has he got to moan about? I thought the ref was dreadful and easily their twelfth man!
Brown wants to get that Tango Tan out of his eyes
IDIOT!!!

Agree that he has nothing to complain about. It looked blatant hand ball on the line so we should have had a pen and their players constantly got away with cynical fouls. Not sure the ref was biased but just indecisive and not very good.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Apr 2011 23:36

79Royal Hal looked like he shinned his shot for the goal, but I was at the other end of the ground, so couldn't really see.

Shinned?

he kinda ran into it and it bounced off him! :lol:

Gutted as it just encourages the young tw*ts in Y19/Y20 that sing his name all f*cking game. SHUT UP :twisted: :twisted:

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 05 Apr 2011 23:37

MmmMonsterMunch My 2 pence worth:

Griff & Ivar had a shocker.

Long, McAnuff & Legs were fantastic. Thought Legs completely turned the game - the whole midfield instantly upped their game. Such a big player for us.

Y25 great tonight - stayed with the team throughout. All in all very enjoyable.

I thought Griffin had a fairly good game :roll:
Two good pieces of work spring to mind.
On one occasion in the first half he was the last man with two players bearing down on him. He managed to clear the ball stopping a likely goal
He also did a lovely bit of dribbling in the NE corner to get past his man and put a good cross in.
Not saying he was MOM, but he was not as bad as some are making out.

(I know he was booked after getting beaten by the East Stand, but like Hart and Kish, they have no pace but make up for that with an excellent football brain)

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 05 Apr 2011 23:39

Is it really that difficult for people to call him Leigertwood? :|

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Apr 2011 23:40

As others have said, the double substitution was the right move - you've got to go for it in that situation and when Leigertwood came on the whole dynamic of the game shifted. I'd almost be tempted to give him MOTM based purely on his sub performance as I think he was a class above tbh.

Didn't really happen for Jimmy tonight (hasn't for a while actually) although he seemed energised once Leigertwood came on and played some very canny football in the last 10mins, keeping it in the corner and killing the game. Didn't produce one decent cross all night mind.

Griffin looked rusty and flitted in and otu of the game. Overall probably a better performance than Bryn against Pompey last weekend. Right decision to play him.

Referee was poor for both teams I think. Overall I'd say it wasn't a great performance but they've got into the habit of winning games now which is the best habit to be in. Worst winning goal ever but after the block on the line and the shot from Harte against the bar (he had a good game btw) I think the result was fair.

Out.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Apr 2011 23:40

John Madejski's Wallet Gutted as it just encourages the young tw*ts in Y19/Y20 that sing his name all f*cking game. SHUT UP :twisted: :twisted:

lol, totally. He's shit so I can only assume the chants are ironic.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 05 Apr 2011 23:43

Don't get me wrong I really like Griffin. He has been fantastic for us thus far but IMO he was poor tonight. I'm sure it's just the match fitness though & he'll be ok soon enough.

Every time Ivar touches the ball these days I wince.

Forgot to mention Zurab - so good on the ball what a legend. Clearly the best CB at the club - by a mile. Got us out of a few sticky situations tonight.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Apr 2011 23:44

John Madejski's Wallet Gutted as it just encourages the young tw*ts in Y19/Y20 that sing his name all f*cking game. SHUT UP :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah, grrrr stop supporting your players.

Tbh that was very much :| tonight wasn't it. Very much the potential banana skin which we only narrowly John Cleese goosestepped over. Pretty f*cking average throughout, I hate one striker as it encourages the aimless long ball we played for the most part. McCarthy was unlucky with the equaliser, Karacan continues to be an important player for us and Zurab was different gravy as usual. Tbh, our best two players are not even Reading players - Zurab and Leigertwood make all the difference, will John Mad write the requisite cheque in the summer?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 05 Apr 2011 23:45

Ref was shocking whole match gave Reading nowt... He missed a blatent foul on long in the first minute and continued to miss the majority of Prestons fouls.. How Brown can say the ref cost them is beyond me... Short of putting on a yellow shirt theres not much else he could have done to look like a Preston fan.

Hard fought win and the play was bitty at best in the first half.. Reading seemed to come alive for the last 15 mins after Prestons defender/standby goalkeeper got away with a Suarez style handball on the line.

I would have to say that Long edged it for MOM...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Apr 2011 23:46

great game. All over em 1st half.thought we may regret not putting them away and that looked to be true when they scored after a fair bit of pressure.after that we were great again and deserved a win.
Mcarthy. Unlucky with goal. 7
Griff. Torrid time but made some crucial blocks. 6
Kish.superb in air and on the deck. 8
Ivar. Rinsed 1nce but ok. 7
Harte. Missed alot of headers but good moving it forward. 7
Kebe. Inconsistent but put in a shift,caused all sorts of chaos and scord a strong header. 7
Jobi, great but no end product at all. 6
Jem. Great game.ran everywhere, tackled and passed well and got forward. 9
Tabb. As above. 8
Howard. Did ok again.worked hard.7
Long. Chased evdrything.provided alot for others.8
Legs,manset.kanu .all changed the game.9
Brian. Amazing. 10
Crowd.small but up for it.10

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Apr 2011 23:47

TBF to Brian McD I don't think he wants to play one-up at home, it's just that he has no choice. Hunt is injured, Church is shit, and Manset has all the fitness of someone who's been breathing carbon monoxide.

If Hunt was fit then he'd start I think.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 05 Apr 2011 23:49

bigmike Ref was shocking whole match gave Reading nowt... He missed a blatent foul on long in the first minute and continued to miss the majority of Prestons fouls.. How Brown can say the ref cost them is beyond me... Short of putting on a yellow shirt theres not much else he could have done to look like a Preston fan.

Hard fought win and the play was bitty at best in the first half.. Reading seemed to come alive for the last 15 mins after Prestons defender/standby goalkeeper got away with a Suarez style handball on the line.

I would have to say that Long edged it for MOM...

I would agree with Long MOM but Zurab was awesome too. Tough to choose....

I suspect he says stuff like that to keep their spirits up for the run in. I actually thought Preston competed quite well. If only they'd started playing like that a bit earlier in the season they may have stayed up.

We beat them fair & square & the handball on the line seemed to galvanise Reading. We really pushed for the winner after that.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 05 Apr 2011 23:51

Maguire As others have said, the double substitution was the right move - you've got to go for it in that situation and when Leigertwood came on the whole dynamic of the game shifted. I'd almost be tempted to give him MOTM based purely on his sub performance as I think he was a class above tbh.

Didn't really happen for Jimmy tonight (hasn't for a while actually) although he seemed energised once Leigertwood came on and played some very canny football in the last 10mins, keeping it in the corner and killing the game. Didn't produce one decent cross all night mind.

Griffin looked rusty and flitted in and otu of the game. Overall probably a better performance than Bryn against Pompey last weekend. Right decision to play him.

Referee was poor for both teams I think. Overall I'd say it wasn't a great performance but they've got into the habit of winning games now which is the best habit to be in. Worst winning goal ever but after the block on the line and the shot from Harte against the bar (he had a good game btw) I think the result was fair.

Out.

Spot on.

Rare trip to the West side tonight and Brown spent the entire match berating the fourth official. LOL at his moody, motionless sulk, whilst waiting for the match officials to come off at the end. McAnuff got MOM.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 05 Apr 2011 23:52

One more thing, I think it was the shot by Harte that their keeper parried on to the bar.
I was right behind that and the ball moved all over the place. Hell of a strike and they were lucky that their keeper got his fingertips to it,.
Would have been Goal of the Season if that hit the onion bag!

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 05 Apr 2011 23:53

SHORT AND CURLY One more thing, I think it was the shot by Harte that their keeper parried on to the bar.
I was right behind that and the ball moved all over the place. Hell of a strike and they were lucky that their keeper got his fingertips to it,.
Would have been Goal of the Season if that hit the onion bag!

Nope, Karacan's "worldy" at Preston wins that award, hands down.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 05 Apr 2011 23:59

Yet another win with Zurab in the team I'd like to add- so glad he came in for Mills. This is going to sound terrible but I honestly believe te best thing that happened this season was Mills getting injured when he did as he played shockingly with Ingimarsson (who was also woeful). Any combination with Zurab in is gonna save us a lot of points!

John Peel

by John Peel » 06 Apr 2011 00:00

biscuitman
Number 13 were fantastic tonight and really drove the team on.

Agree. Don't know how people can slag off Y25/26 sometimes. [quote]

I'll tell you how (and I sit there) - a lot of them (mostly the ones at the back) are negative, fickle and f*cking ignorant (and some just stupid).

What really f*cked me off tonight was that when we went 2-1 up, instead of chanting something positive they started singing (and throughout the f*cking game, over and over and over...) 'That's why you're going down, that's why...' Seriously, who gives a f*cking f*ck?! Why not chant something positive about OUR team, why not say well done to HRK for coming on and scoring with his second touch. Oh no. That's far too positive for the cretinous negative lot that don't realise this is the best period in our history and who always want f*cking more. We could take a leaf out of the book of quite a few other teams to be honest.

Anyway, as for the game. The double sub absolutely changed the game. Well done Bri for having the balls to do this. Well done. 4-4-2 is a much better system for our type of play.

Really solid performace with special mention to Long was created the goal and never gave up going, Legs, and The Beast Manset. Only negatives were Griff, who wasn't match fit, and Ivar, who was yet again our worst player (although much better than against Pompey, but that's not saying much).

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 06 Apr 2011 00:03

John Peel
biscuitman
Number 13 were fantastic tonight and really drove the team on.

Agree. Don't know how people can slag off Y25/26 sometimes.

I'll tell you how (and I sit there) - a lot of them (mostly the ones at the back) are negative, fickle and f*cking ignorant (and some just stupid).

What really f*cked me off tonight was that when we went 2-1 up, instead of chanting something positive they started singing (and throughout the f*cking game, over and over and over...) 'That's why you're going down, that's why...' Seriously, who gives a f*cking f*ck?! Why not chant something positive about OUR team, why not say well done to HRK for coming on and scoring with his second touch. Oh no. That's far too positive for the cretinous negative lot that don't realise this is the best period in our history and who always want f*cking more. We could take a leaf out of the book of quite a few other teams to be honest.

Anyway, as for the game. The double sub absolutely changed the game. Well done Bri for having the balls to do this. Well done. 4-4-2 is a much better system for our type of play.

Really solid performace with special mention to Long was created the goal and never gave up going, Legs, and The Beast Manset. Only negatives were Griff, who wasn't match fit, and Ivar, who was yet again our worst player (although much better than against Pompey, but that's not saying much).

Standard moan about the fans. Can't you take a bit of banter mate? Because that kind of chant "that's why you're going down" is about banter and having a laugh. Makes the experience more enjoyable in my opinion

southstand67

by southstand67 » 06 Apr 2011 00:06

^^^agreed^^^

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 06 Apr 2011 00:09

The chant just rubbed salt into the wounds after there was a glimmer of hope for them. Harmless fun - tis all.

174 posts