whats the record wins in a row for the club

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: whats the record wins in a row for the club

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Apr 2011 18:21

Silver Fox
It's because we are the only professional club in the royal county of berkshire. Preston don't have to wear an away kit because they won the first football league title.

HTH

I think his point was that while both facts are true, the idea that it means neither club has to wear their away kit is complete nonsense

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Apr 2011 18:39

Maguire
Maguire tbf 1985-1986 is before a lot of posters on here were born so why would they necessarily know or care about what RFC were up to then

I know almost nothing about RFC (managers, players, records etc) pre about 1990 (Simod Cup excepted)

I guess Liverpool fans born after the mid 80s must live wondering if their club will ever win a title.

I wouldn't excpect fans to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the club's history before they got into following Reading, but it strikes me as strange that people just wouldn't care about anything before that date.

I remember Tim Lovejoy saying fans that have an interest in their club's history are "sad", and he's about as a horrible example of the "modern fan" as you can get.

A passing interest if things come up, sure, but I don't think i've ever actually looked up anything about what division we were in in 1963 or what position Tommy Youlden played.

Totally agree with the last bit fo your post.

I think past players, unless real legends, are always going to be obscure. I wouldn't expect a fan under 25 to have any idea who Keith McPherson is, for example.

I does strike me as odd (no idea about anyone else) that a fan would have no interest or even curiosity about the fortunes of the club before "their" time.

But maybe that's just me. If I ever see an old newspaper (as in years old), I always check the football scores, which is a bit crazy. I even remember the Daily Mirror producing a pull-out reproduction of their entire paper the day after the Titanic sunk, and I still looked at the football scores to see how we got on*. I just, perhaps irrationally, feel that others fans should share the curiousity. There are two good histories of the club written, after all, with the latter "heaven on Earth" being the better one. When else would you find that Reading have beaten AC Milan 5-0 away and also beaten the Italian national team, and been described as the best team to ever play in Italy?

* lost 0-4 at Plymouth. It was our 5th game in 9 days, having played on the 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th, before losing on the 13th.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Apr 2011 18:44

Rev Algenon Stickleback H I think past players, unless real legends, are always going to be obscure. I wouldn't expect a fan under 25 to have any idea who Keith McPherson is, for example.

You expect wrongly then and Macca is a real legend.
Last edited by sandman on 13 Apr 2011 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2011 18:46

For me when you get into following the club properly it's natural to find out about the club's achievements. Not necessarily by actually sitting down and reading a history book, but by keeping your eyes out and looknig up a few random things now and then.

My first game was in 95.

I still know who Martin Hicks, Steve Death, Robin Friday, Trevor Senior, Lawrie Sanchez, Kerry Dixon and Neil Webb are. I still know about the Simod cup win. I still know about Death's record, the 13 wins, Milan and the Italy tour, the merge with Oxford, when we were established, 4-3 against Plymouth...

These are all things that define the club that I support.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 13 Apr 2011 18:52

I does strike me as odd (no idea about anyone else) that a fan would have no interest or even curiosity about the fortunes of the club before "their" time.

EDIT Disagreed.

The only sporting events I care about that took place before I started watching sport are heavyweight fights. Perhaps it's because they don't need much context (and what context there was, is easily understandable.
Last edited by Bandini on 13 Apr 2011 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 13 Apr 2011 18:53

Ian Royal For me when you get into following the club properly it's natural to find out about the club's achievements. Not necessarily by actually sitting down and reading a history book, but by keeping your eyes out and looknig up a few random things now and then.

My first game was in 95.

I still know who Martin Hicks, Steve Death, Robin Friday, Trevor Senior, Lawrie Sanchez, Kerry Dixon and Neil Webb are. I still know about the Simod cup win. I still know about Death's record, the 13 wins, Milan and the Italy tour, the merge with Oxford, when we were established, 4-3 against Plymouth...

These are all things that define the club that I support.

Who Steve Death and Robin Friday were :cry:

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 13 Apr 2011 18:57

Svlad Cjelli Is this a serious question? :shock: :shock: :shock:

10 wins in a row is an oustanding feat at any time. the guy was only asking a question. Perhaps some attitude dropping would be a good idea.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 13 Apr 2011 19:00

RoyalBlue
WoodleyRoyal we did 10 in a row in the promo season is that the record?

Newbie/plastic alert!!!

Danger!! attitude problem alert. The guy was only asking a question. 10 wins in a row is an outstanding feat at any level.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2011 19:44

It did come up in the last couple of days on another thread. Two fans in the space of a couple of days asking what our best win run is when it's a football league record is a bit of a shocker.

And it comes up whenever someone starts the season well.

The write up on the OS about our history is also the first thing that comes up on google with a search about "Reading fc win record".

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 13 Apr 2011 19:52

We do Bandini...The 14 wins maybe over two seasons, end and start?

I believe Bangor in the Welsh League beat our record this season.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 13 Apr 2011 20:50

I am sure I have asked this same question before and got a similar response. I am building my knowledge of our clubs past but it is a lot to digest so I do a little at a time. I knew about the Thames Valley Royals (thanks to a link from Floyd) before I learned of the 13 in a row. I know more about the Simod Cup win and Michael Gilkes penalty than I do about Robin Friday and Steve Death (thank you youtube). It is a process, so patience with the youngsters, plastics and yanks. We want to learn, we just need time to take it all in.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 28,00.html

This seven-game run is the joint fifth best in our history. In 1985 we won 13 games at the start of the season, in 1951/2 we won 12, in 1967 we won 11 (albeit across two seasons) and in 2005 we won ten. We also won seven in 2001/2 and in 1952.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Apr 2011 21:51

Silver Fox
It's because we are the only professional club in the royal county of berkshire. Preston don't have to wear an away kit because they won the first football league title.

HTH

I think his point was that while both facts are true, the idea that it means neither club has to wear their away kit is complete nonsense

Wha???!!!?

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 13 Apr 2011 22:20

The only goalkeeper in football league history to score twice in a league match was.....?

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 14 Apr 2011 00:07

bakerlou The only goalkeeper in football league history to score twice in a league match was.....?

...very lucky?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Apr 2011 09:19

bakerlou The only goalkeeper in football league history to score twice in a league match was.....?

I knew someone who was at that game! In the days before substitutions, the Reading keeper got an injured hand so went out onto the wing whilst an outfield player went into goal; the Reading keeper ended up scoring twice.

Name of keeper - nope, not a clue I'm afraid!

:wink:

edit: Arthur Wilkie, 1962, v Halifax Town

:D

(Though Alan Fettis scored twice for Hull in a League game, though he was playing as a forward due to an injury crisis).
Last edited by Mr Angry on 14 Apr 2011 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 14 Apr 2011 09:24

Was it Wilkie?

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 16 Apr 2011 19:57

Ok.... 8 wins in a row now.... win the last 4 and then thats twelve,,,,2 play off games makes 14.

If we win at Wembley and make it 15, would they class it a league record?

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 16 Apr 2011 20:40

If we win the next 4 I should imagine we'll go up automatically.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Apr 2011 20:50

Ups and Downs If we win the next 4 I should imagine we'll go up automatically.

Have you seen Cardiff's run-in - 10 points and we can't catch them.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 16 Apr 2011 20:51

Ups and Downs If we win the next 4 I should imagine we'll go up automatically.

That did cross my mind, but I can see one or other of Norwich and Cardiff winning all 4 too.