Which players would cut it in the prem should we go up?

Colin Cheeselog

Re: Which players would cut it in the prem should we go up?

by Colin Cheeselog » 19 Apr 2011 21:02

West Stand Man
Colin Cheeselog
Ian Royal Mills

Laugh out loud, as i believe the saying goes.

You are a dickhead - as the saying goes.

Very good, well done. I'm sure that, like me, everybody is very impressed with you.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 19 Apr 2011 21:33

None of our players are good enough - but as a team we'll be fine.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Apr 2011 23:37

I'm sure that some of you think the Premiership only consists of the 6 top teams and that the Blackburns, Boltons and the 3 W's don't exist.

Last time we got 106 points in this division but, of course, being Reading, lot's of our fans still thought we'd struggle to win a game in the top flight :|

Now, apparantly, Long isn't good enough even though he's already played there when he was half the player he is now. With Doyle injured, I'm damn sure McCarthy would take Long if he could.......................he's at least as good as KD was when he left us.

The standard of the Premiership outside the upper echelons is perfectly illustrated by our cup wins against WBA and Everton so writing off most of the players who achieved those results before they've even won promotion is just plain silly.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Apr 2011 23:53

At the end of the season where will all the ex-Reading players from the 2005 squad be???? Possibly all in the championship or lower!!!

The likes of Long, Legs, McMuff and Kebe are certainly good enough to be in the premiership... but like the 2005 team it is the sum of all the parts that makes a good team. The likes of Mills, Karacan and Hunt will be able to hack the premiership with a good team around them, something the 2005 team was and this one at present is too.

superreadingfan

by superreadingfan » 20 Apr 2011 00:25

if we bring in soul ki hyon and jon oster we shuold be ok

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 20 Apr 2011 07:19

Keep everyone and just try not to be one of the three worst.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Apr 2011 08:11

Every player that takes a club up should get a year in the higher league, part of the reward for promotion IMHO. Besides didnt we do this last time, Murty was too old, Sonko not good enough, Lita wrong attitude, etc etc etc

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 20 Apr 2011 09:18

Is all about decision making when stepping up a division, those players with ability with the ball at their feet and pace or both would be fine.

Kebe
McAnuff
Long
Hunt
Kish
Harte
Howard
Manset

Other teams will work out our lack of pace at the back so McDermott + Gibbs just have to work out a defensive strategy to ensure we're not caught out on the break so much otherwise players like Walcott, Agbonlahor etc will ruin us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Apr 2011 17:59

Tad Showbiz Is all about decision making when stepping up a division, those players with ability with the ball at their feet and pace or both would be fine.

Kebe
McAnuff
Long
Hunt
Kish
Harte
Howard
Manset

Other teams will work out our lack of pace at the back so McDermott + Gibbs just have to work out a defensive strategy to ensure we're not caught out on the break so much otherwise players like Walcott, Agbonlahor etc will ruin us.

4-2-3-1 soaking up pressure and hitting them on the break with pace. Key to this is Legs as he wins the ball brilliantly and plays it sensible and simple. Also key is having someone like Howard ahead of Legs and a water carrier like Karacan to help make sure we can play effective and accurate attacking passes when we do go forward.

As McDermott said against Everton... the key is making sure when we get the ball, the first pass is accurate and not wayward losing us possession. - Or slowing an attack by not being quite good enough.

Against shit teams we could then open up more as they'll be less likely to be able to dominate possession and take the game to us.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF we are lucky and good enough to go up.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Apr 2011 18:17

Emmer Green Royal as a team we'll be fine.

this

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 20 Apr 2011 18:52

At this point in time ...it can only be Long and possibly Feds...the ones that have been continually linked with prem league teams...

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Apr 2011 19:24

If you'd asked the same question of any of last year's top 6 you'd have got a long diatribe about how they also weren't good enough (save for a few). The truth is that most of this squad could cut it in the PL. Whether they will or not is another issue.

To the brain-dead half-wit who thinks that Mills isn't up to it - - I can't be bothered.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 20 Apr 2011 20:20

Ideal IMHO

Long
Hal
Kebe
McAnuff
Karacan
Griffin
Mills
McCarthy/Feds

Possibly Tabb.. Legsofwood isn't our player permanently.

We'd need to sign a left back, central defender, central midfielder, striker.... generally strengthen the team.
I'd hope we'd just go after the best players from the teams that didn't get promoted. For example Moussi..

Robson-Kanu and Mills?!?!?!?! I think you need to watch MOTD more often mate!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Apr 2011 20:41

McCarthy, Zurab, Karacan, McAnuff, Long.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 21 Apr 2011 10:52

West Stand Man To the brain-dead half-wit who thinks that Mills isn't up to it - - I can't be bothered.

That seems to include most people on here. How old are you? Is it really necessary to abuse people on a discussion forum who have a slightly different opinion to you on exactly how good a particular footballer is?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Apr 2011 23:14

Definitely Federici, Kébé and Leigertwood, as well as one of Pearce, Zurab and Mills. I'd have high hopes for McCarthy, the other hypothetical centre back, Cummings, Karacan, McAnuff, Hunt and Long, and I think Tabb, Howard, Harte, Griffin, Robson-Kanu, Church and Manset could do a job. Gunnarsson would definitely be able to put in a good ninety minutes a handful of times as well.

The main thing is that we will not get away with playing a back line of Griffin, Mills, Pearce and Harte, or Ívar in for one of the centre backs, and I'm not sure Zurab is quick enough to make up for a lack of pace elsewhere in the back line. A back four of Bertrand, Zurab, Mills/Pearce and Cummings would be a better bet against pacy teams who move the ball quickly.