Reap what you sow

153 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Reap what you sow

by Platypuss » 21 Aug 2011 13:39

handbags_harris
Royal Lady ...but maybe 3 to 4 million on a new striker and at least one new defender could hardly be breaking the bank...

£3 - 4 million in transfer fees, what about the wages? A player signed for that amount is going to be asking c£10k - £12k a week easily, if not more, on a minimum 3-year contract. Say bye bye to all of your income from the Long transfer.

Thank Christ you're not our chairman RL :wink:

And Long's wages which we would no longer be paying....?

Big McC

by Big McC » 21 Aug 2011 14:12

Dear Sir John,

I know things are rather tough at the moment what with the on-going financial crisis and all, and I dare say running all your businesses must be a real headache at the moment. So I do feel a bit bad about raising some issues with you concerning Reading FC, but needs must.

I am just an ordinary supporter of the club; I have been for a good many years. Each year I buy my season ticket, even though I’m retired now and I can’t really afford it any more. Nevertheless, I make sacrifices to do so. Each matchday I buy a programme, drink several pints of concourse beer (which I have to say is pretty poor – the beer that is). I also go to a number of away games every season. So I think I’m a pretty standard RFC fan. As I see it I’m doing my bit by investing a pretty fair amount of my money (and time) into club funds. I expect the club to use those funds wisely and on the whole I think the club has very largely has done so at least until recently. Now I’m not so sure.

Let’s get several issues out of the way. Firstly, like the vast majority of fans I am delighted that you took on Reading FC, and saved it from oblivion. The stadium and academy are brilliant, and I’m sure every fan is grateful for all you have done for the club. But, that’s the past. Secondly, like you I also think the current model of football financing is the economics of the madhouse, but we are where we are. In that regard I am pleased we have a ‘well run’ club, and that the board has ensured our continued financial survival. Quite what division that will be in is open to debate. Lastly, I know you are keen to sell the club to a suitable owner with deep pockets, by which I take it to mean you think someone who both financially sound and who is willing to invest in the club. Oh dear! Sadly, it does seem that you have lost that love of football. At least you have said you will avoid a consortium or asset strippers.

Now as an ordinary fan I go to matches to see good football, met my friends and have a good time. Most importantly, I want my team to be successful. I want us to win. I want us to beat our long-standing rivals, be better than them. In short, I want us to win our league and climb the divisions. Not so long ago it was brilliant: we made the top flight. But regretfully the club couldn’t handle that really. And, now I’m confused. Since then you have repeatedly said that you want us to get back to the Premiership (and surely you’d be far more able to find a new owner being a premier league club), but the club’s policy of selling our best players and not replacing them with adequate replacements is surely setting us well back from ever being able to do that. If we are not in the top flight, I know our very best players like Shane Long must move on, but to not bring in good replacements seems ridiculous. Taking away our best striker and our best central defender and not replacing them is madness, although I am led to believe that some bargain replacements might be signed before the end of the current transfer window. Now here is the crux. Either, you want us to be successful and make the top flight, or you don’t. By a miracle we got close last year, but in truth a little more investment in the playing staff might have sealed it (just like a modest, well-targeted investment in our premier league side might have kept us there). Sadly, miracles don’t happen very often, and right now, even with a few cheap replacements I can’t see we have anything like a side that can challenge for your stated ambition. Or well, maybe it isn’t your ambition anymore. You seem to have changed tune a bit of late and say that a new owner must be the one to invest and take us up.

So, please be honest with me. Tell me that you (as long as you are the chairman of RFC) don’t really want to invest in a side to challenge for the top flight. That’s fine if it is so – I just want to know. I can temper my ambition for my club too. I can also consider my investment in the club too. Football is a competitive sport, and all we want to be competitive. If you don’t want to keep your side of the unspoken bargain between us then maybe I don’t want to either. All I want is honesty, please. Thank you.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Aug 2011 15:16

^^ superb letter. Send it!!

Big McC

by Big McC » 21 Aug 2011 15:39

Royal Lady ^^ superb letter. Send it!!

Thanks RL! Maybe I should sent it. Doubt I'd get a reply though!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Aug 2011 15:54

Big McC

Thanks RL! Maybe I should sent it. Doubt I'd get a reply though!

It's no secret that I have no time for the man and disagree with a lot (most!) of what he does. However, I would give him credit in terms of responding to letters. You might not like the nature of the response but I would be surprised if he ignores your letter completely.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2011 16:06

It's well written, but it's a bit pointless.

We're far from uncompetitive at the moment, if we'd been on the back of a couple of Ipswichesque tonkings I could understand. We're following exactly the same policy that took us to the Play Off Final last year and it's four games into the new season, before the transfer window has closed.

And you can have the ambition to gain promotion, through careful financial management and development of players. Which is the way we do things. Madejski's primary aim is to build a club for the Reading community, he's achieved that, and he's going to do everything he can to reduce the risk of the club backsliding to tier three also rans. If that means we sit as a mid-table championship club forging the occasional promotion bid (and we're doing a hell of a lot more than occasional right now), rather than spend money and increase our chances of promotion then that's what he'll do. Fair play IMO.

We can almost certainly afford to spend a bit more, certainly in the short-term. But spending a bit more, does very little to our actual chances of promotion. We'd have to splash a lot, like Leicester, and there's no guarantee that would pay off, so if it didn't we'd have to do it again. And that's where the problem lies. So we'll keep plugging away and see how it goes.

Big McC

by Big McC » 21 Aug 2011 17:07

Ian Royal And you can have the ambition to gain promotion, through careful financial management and development of players. Which is the way we do things. Madejski's primary aim is to build a club for the Reading community, he's achieved that, and he's going to do everything he can to reduce the risk of the club backsliding to tier three also rans. If that means we sit as a mid-table championship club forging the occasional promotion bid (and we're doing a hell of a lot more than occasional right now), rather than spend money and increase our chances of promotion then that's what he'll do. Fair play IMO.

We can almost certainly afford to spend a bit more, certainly in the short-term. But spending a bit more, does very little to our actual chances of promotion. We'd have to splash a lot, like Leicester, and there's no guarantee that would pay off, so if it didn't we'd have to do it again. And that's where the problem lies. So we'll keep plugging away and see how it goes.

Ian R, I don't disagree with you on much of that. Especially I agree spending does not necessarily equal success. My point is that I wish the club, and SJM in particular, would be more realistic in what they say we can achieve given the constraints on spending. Be open about it; not just we can't afford it. But I guess a realistic message sells less season tickets. Time will tell. I suppose I am also inclinded to ask that if the Reading model is the key to success, why do so few clubs follow it?

Cypry

by Cypry » 21 Aug 2011 17:52

Big McC
Ian Royal And you can have the ambition to gain promotion, through careful financial management and development of players. Which is the way we do things. Madejski's primary aim is to build a club for the Reading community, he's achieved that, and he's going to do everything he can to reduce the risk of the club backsliding to tier three also rans. If that means we sit as a mid-table championship club forging the occasional promotion bid (and we're doing a hell of a lot more than occasional right now), rather than spend money and increase our chances of promotion then that's what he'll do. Fair play IMO.

Ian R, I don't disagree with you on much of that. Especially I agree spending does not necessarily equal success. My point is that I wish the club, and SJM in particular, would be more realistic in what they say we can achieve given the constraints on spending. Be open about it; not just we can't afford it. But I guess a realistic message sells less season tickets. Time will tell. I suppose I am also inclinded to ask that if the Reading model is the key to success, why do so few clubs follow it?

Sorry, but that's ridiculous - you expect the club to issue statements like "we hope to finish mid table this season and maintain our Championship status"?

Well that'll be really motivating for the team - wouldn't be surprised to see a few more jump ship to other Chamionship clubs if the club says things like that.....

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Aug 2011 18:20

Easily pleased. I agree it's nice to read something with decent grammar and spelling but it's actually a load of waffle.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Aug 2011 18:31

As Cypry alludes to

Honesty, ambition and the revenue to pay for it, conflict with eachother.

What do you really want?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2011 18:48

Big McC

I actually think we are pretty open and honest about our ambitions and methods, so I'm sorry but I don't accept that.

Branfoot Out

by Branfoot Out » 21 Aug 2011 20:21

[
Platypuss
handbags_harris
Royal Lady ...but maybe 3 to 4 million on a new striker and at least one new defender could hardly be breaking the bank...

£3 - 4 million in transfer fees, what about the wages? A player signed for that amount is going to be asking c£10k - £12k a week easily, if not more, on a minimum 3-year contract. Say bye bye to all of your income from the Long transfer.

Thank Christ you're not our chairman RL :wink:

And Long's wages which we would no longer be paying....?

Good point. Tired of people harping on about incoming players' wages without considering the outgoing players' wages we are saving.
Not only have we got the transfer fees for Mills and Long but we should also have budgeted to pay their wages this year, so wages for any new players (assuming they are on the same or less) should not be an issue.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 21 Aug 2011 20:36

I must have missed the bit when the Reading PR machine began marketing season tickets with the promise of guaranteed promotion?

One of the criticisms made of SJM is that he loves the limelight a little too much. However when ever he does give an interview he is quite clear and open about the cloth cutting etc, and has been so for the last few years. There was a piece in the Sunday Times last weekend when he said much the same again.

How anybody ends up passing on their credit card details on the assumption that we are about to outspend the rest is beyond me!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Aug 2011 17:41

Royal Lady You have to question the RTG's when they believe that we can rely on those coming up from the academy year on year - we don't even play the players we do sign - e.g. Morrison and Williams. I hope they get a run out in the cup game. One rogue result against a Leicester team who aren't exactly setting the championship on fire this season, does not mean we're ok with what we've got.

its hardly that we believe we will, more like we realise we have very little choice currently.
but carry on regardless

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Aug 2011 17:53

What I find slightly odd in this topic and others is that the most vociferous in defence of all things RFC are people who never go to games such as RR,Ian Royal (who thinks football matches last 2 minutes because that is what he sees on TV)and the Southbank bloke.
Why do they bother with posting so much and not make the effort and commitment to following a team in which they must surely have an interest?
I understand the position with Arch and HR as they live abroad but I just don't get it with these regular passionless posters.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Aug 2011 17:56

Victor Meldrew What I find slightly odd in this topic and others is that the most vociferous in defence of all things RFC are people who never go to games such as RR,Ian Royal (who thinks football matches last 2 minutes because that is what he sees on TV)and the Southbank bloke.
Why do they bother with posting so much and not make the effort and commitment to following a team in which they must surely have an interest?
I understand the position with Arch and HR as they live abroad but I just don't get it with these regular passionless posters.

im way more vociferous than them, and i go to games

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Aug 2011 17:57

Victor Meldrew What I find slightly odd in this topic and others is that the most vociferous in defence of all things RFC are people who never go to games such as RR,Ian Royal (who thinks football matches last 2 minutes because that is what he sees on TV)and the Southbank bloke.

I commit to as many games as I can afford, and follow every one I can't make closely. Don't you dare try and tell me I'm less of a fan because I can't afford to spend £75 a week on football and am not willing to spend money that isn't mine.

I defend the club's running, because it is well run and those who are usually slagging it off may go to games, but are usually slagging off the running of the club from complete ignorance, having not bothered to actually look into any of the details and get answers. I have, so I'm not in total ignorance, although I'm far from an expert.

You don't have to go to games to know how the club is run and how well it's going.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Aug 2011 18:11

:lol: I find it equally odd that people who come on here and moan about everything the club does should choose to go to every game. They can't possibly get much enjoyment out of it knowing that the performances could be so much better if the club would only run it in THEIR way.

Nope, I just don't get it with these regular negative posters.

Takes all sorts I guess.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Aug 2011 18:13

Well,I suppose if we've paid for a ST up front in good faith that we'll be seeing some good football, it kind of makes sense to keep going to see if we're right - rather than sitting at home having wasted our money. When it appears we're not getting what we thought we'd paid for, it seems fair comment to remark upon it on an internet message board.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Aug 2011 18:23

Royal Lady Well,I suppose if we've paid for a ST up front in good faith that we'll be seeing some good football, it kind of makes sense to keep going to see if we're right - rather than sitting at home having wasted our money. When it appears we're not getting what we thought we'd paid for, it seems fair comment to remark upon it on an internet message board.

But you know the way the club is run, so why act all surprised each year?

153 posts