Back from the game-saints

273 posts
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the games-saints

by PEARCEY » 22 Oct 2011 21:08

SCIAG
NR_Royal There was no foul on Manset. Keeper clearly got the ball.

Getting the ball doesn't stop it being a foul.

Thought he got the ball first and then the player so no pen for me.

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 22 Oct 2011 21:08

SCIAG
NR_Royal There was no foul on Manset. Keeper clearly got the ball.

Getting the ball doesn't stop it being a foul.

So does every slide tackle now become a foul? Got the ball and couldn't help but follow through into Manset.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 22 Oct 2011 21:09

PEARCEY Surprised no-one has mentioned that hand-ball in the first-half. If the Soton player hadn't handled Church was through on goal. Should have been a red card in my view.

Wasn't a goal-scoring opportunity.

I've highlighted the relevant reason.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Oct 2011 21:12

We've played 1st, 2nd, 6th and drew with all three, could've won all three

There can't be that much wrong

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 22 Oct 2011 21:14

Snowball We've played 1st, 2nd, 6th and drew with all three, could've won all three

^^^ this, there ain't much wrong. The division is truly terrible this year.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Oct 2011 21:16

Saints are a good team but we definately matched them in all departments today, just gutted as felt like 2 points dropped.

I think we do need a new left back especially since Mills set pieces were awful! Why doesn't Mcanuff take corners?

Kept our unbeaten run up and if we get 2 draws out of the next 2 fixtures will be pleased with that tbh

Should be a good game next week

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Oct 2011 21:17

Winnershroyal
Snowball We've played 1st, 2nd, 6th and drew with all three, could've won all three

^^^ this, there ain't much wrong. The division is truly terrible this year.

:lol: Every year this division is terrible. No its not. Its competitive.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Oct 2011 21:20

loyalroyal4life Saints are a good team but we definately matched them in all departments today, just gutted as felt like 2 points dropped.

I think we do need a new left back especially since Mills set pieces were awful! Why doesn't Mcanuff take corners?

Kept our unbeaten run up and if we get 2 draws out of the next 2 fixtures will be pleased with that tbh

I guess you are right about 2 points from our next two games being a decent return. Palarse are on fire and Forest are now picking up under new management...but it would only mean 4 points out of a possible 12 and that ain't great.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Oct 2011 21:20

Excellent performance today, you can never complain too much supporting a team with such a positive attitude. Id settle for that every week, win lose or draw. Pretty good atmosphere as well from both sets of fans.

As for the LB debate, Mills is out of his depth. END OF. I can understand why Harte was dropped, poor start to the season, but that was next to a poor CB partnership that left him totally exposed. Hes a bit of a luxury player with his lack of pace, but we have Gorks now at LCB and its time to bring him back. He is in a different league to Mills and should be a shoe in to replace him once our run ends.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 22 Oct 2011 21:25

A massive congratulations to Brian on his 100th game in charge. Southampton are a great squad and will be up there come the end of the season, but tonight we got our tactics just right.

Southampton tend to play from the back, but whenever their keeper had the ball Le Fondre and Church were straight on the fullbacks forcing him to play it long to no avail. Furthermore Dean Hammond in central midfield is integral to the way they play, so much goes trough him including switching the ball, but tonight Legs and Jem ran rings round him resulting in him loosing his cool and seeing red.

Seems a shame to only have a point after possibly our best performance this season, but there won't be many teams outplaying Southampton so we should be proud!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Oct 2011 21:28

PEARCEY
loyalroyal4life Saints are a good team but we definately matched them in all departments today, just gutted as felt like 2 points dropped.

I guess you are right about 2 points from our next two games being a decent return. Palarse are on fire and Forest are now picking up under new management...but it would only mean 4 points out of a possible 12 and that ain't great.

Even more reason why i felt 2 points dropped tonight, but you never know we may pick up 2 wins :P

manny96

by manny96 » 22 Oct 2011 21:29

Mills didn't make that many mistakes, he made some. He lacks confidence and a bit of nouse. The set-pieces were really frustrating and it wasn't that long ago that we were dominant when it came to set-pieces.

Gorkss was imperious and made some class blocks, as well as Federici making a couple of really class saves. Southamption weren't awful but didn't look like top of the table form. "We are Southampton, we're top of the league" got pretty tedious pretty quickly. Compared with the three teams that went up last season and on that performance, they're not in the same class. Shame we couldn't completely ruin the Saints' October-fest promotion party. Deary me.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Oct 2011 21:39

Seems unfair to compare a player (nearing the end of his career) who has played over 50 games at both european and international level let along premiership. With a guy still learning his trade.

As long as there is continual improvement in his game. He has my vote. A young Shorey wasn't infalliable either when he first arrived at the club.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Oct 2011 21:45

Lower West Seems unfair to compare a player (nearing the end of his career) who has played over 50 games at both european and international level let along premiership. With a guy still learning his trade.

As long as there is continual improvement in his game. He has my vote. A young Shorey wasn't infalliable either when he first arrived at the club.

Unless you're of the opinion that he his not showing any improvement at all. Dont even begin to compare him to Shorey.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 22 Oct 2011 21:51

We should have won that. We were excellent for 73 minutes. Then they had a man sent off and we seemed to drop off, they seemed to want it more and they seemed to keep the ball a lot better. Legs (MOTM) was brilliant as was Gorkss. Cummings, Karacan, Fed, ALF and McAnuff all good too.

On the subject of Mills, that's the fourth time I've seen him this season and he's been the same every time. Pretty good defensively, wins his headers, good pace, rarely gets skinned. But then poor on the ball, aimless hoofing, poor (for the most part) set pieces. Pretty much the direct opposite of Ian Harte. After the Doncaster game, my mate (who wasn't at the game) asked how Mills did. I told him he looked ok, but the game was a walk in the park, so he didn't have to deal with a lot defensively. He put in a great cross for ALF's goal. But I also said to my mate that Mills seemed to pass the ball out of play under no pressure, a few times or pass it straight to the opposition, and although it wasn't costly in the Doncaster game, he would have to improve on this aspect against better sides. At the moment he hasn't.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Oct 2011 22:02

Its more than his set pieces. The number of times he over-hits a cross is far too numerous at the moment....but he's still learning and I'm sure he will improve.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Oct 2011 22:11

Mills actually the least culpable of the back four for the goal which i've just seen. Two centre backs go for the same ball like a pair of clowns, HRK's completely went to sleep ignoring his man and making Kebe look like Maldini ffs. Then to top it off cummings may as well have stayed at right back...let the guy do him with absolute ease and put it top corner. Deserved to concede with defending like that which is a shame for the rest of the team having worked so hard..got the goal and then throwing it away.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Oct 2011 22:14

The negative posts about Mills almost certainly come from the same posters who produced similar stuff about Long, Federici, Karacan, Church, Cummins etc. etc.

When will they ever learn? Frankly it's pathetic.

As with each of the aforementioned (at the time they were getting bucketloads of abuse on here) the guy is young, learning the job and should be getting support of the fans. And may I add that McDermott's judgement is better than the lot of you put together.

Oh and btw, Federici's save from the header should be a save of the season contender. Not spectacular, but absolutely fantastic reactions. He also displayed faultless handling when under intense pressure at corners. An excellent excellent 'keeper these days.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 22 Oct 2011 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 22 Oct 2011 22:15

Very entertaining game. Two teams going for the win. Thought Gorkss, Karacan, Leigertwood and Le Fondre were fantastic.

Decent atmosphere as well. Great game under the lights.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Oct 2011 22:18

Ideal I

People should stop getting so angry about his set pieces, and look at his general game. It is fairly easy to see that he has the makings of being a potentially great player for us.

People should stop getting so angry about his set pieces, and look at his general game. It is fairly easy to see that he has the makings of being a potentially great player for us.

This kid was under HUGE pressure today... "Southampton Reject" (3rd Choice) and playing
for a side that can't win at home, up against a side, 5 points clear at the top of the league.

I thought he put in a GREAT shift and I also think he has the makings of a VERY good left-back.

Sure he made some mistakes, so what?

273 posts