Back from the game-saints

273 posts
Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

Re: Back from the game-saints

by Svlad Cjelli » 26 Oct 2011 14:54

He's got the potential to get better but the only thing to be sure of is that he's unlikely to if he's constantly slagged off.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Oct 2011 15:19

and positioning is the kind of thing that will only come with more games and experience.

tbf we dont know how much the management are encouraging him to get forward, might not even be the lads fault

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Oct 2011 15:30

The thing that pisses me off is after the game he was getting blamed for the last three goals we've conceeded when he had absolutely nothing to do with two of them.

Record with Mills: P8, W3, D4, L1, F10, A8, Pts13.
Apg: 1, ppg: 1.6
Record with Harte: P5, W1, D1, L3, F5, A6, Pts4.
Apg: 1.2, ppg: 0.8

Mills looks to have plenty of potential, he's relatively inexperienced and young, but he'll only improve by playing and he's looked pretty good in the couple of games I've seen recently.

IMO we should be using this season as a chance to develop players to the point they're ready for a promotion push next season, whilst getting as close to the play offs as we can and seeing what happens.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 26 Oct 2011 15:31

melonhead and positioning is the kind of thing that will only come with more games and experience.

I know I agree that we should be giving him the time to improve

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Oct 2011 15:43

Maguire
Z175 My thoughts on Mills... He was the only defender not culpable for the goal. He was in position at left back with his man, while Gorkss left his man to help Pearce, who allowed a flick on to the now unmarked saints player, who beat cummings attempt to intervene and scored.

He gets on the ball a lot, is reasonable going forward and good at tackling. He is very quick.

However, he is constantly out of position even when not attacking and Gorkss played left back a lot to save us. He often kicks the ball out of play and wastes it. Ok his set pieces were poor but not his fault he's taking them. Ian Harte also gets out of position but is neat and tidy on the ball. Mills looks like he's not yet got the ability at this level.

As a free transfer to cover a poor position, great business. As first choice, horrifying.

This is fair. I actually quite like Mills - he's young and learning and I don't really understand why he's getting slated by everyone so badly. Lot of potential IMHO.

It's because raging spastics like Finerain need someone or something to have a little moan about; otherwise they start to worry about the size of their willy.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Oct 2011 15:52

muddyfeet
melonhead and positioning is the kind of thing that will only come with more games and experience.

I know I agree that we should be giving him the time to improve

jolly good!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Oct 2011 22:06

Ian Royal The thing that pisses me off is after the game he was getting blamed for the last three goals we've conceeded when he had absolutely nothing to do with two of them.

Record with Mills: P8, W3, D4, L1, F10, A8, Pts13.
Apg: 1, ppg: 1.6
Record with Harte: P5, W1, D1, L3, F5, A6, Pts4.
Apg: 1.2, ppg: 0.8

Mills looks to have plenty of potential, he's relatively inexperienced and young, but he'll only improve by playing and he's looked pretty good in the couple of games I've seen recently.

IMO we should be using this season as a chance to develop players to the point they're ready for a promotion push next season, whilst getting as close to the play offs as we can and seeing what happens.

Good post

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 26 Oct 2011 22:28

Ideal EVeryone should be able to see that Mills has potential. Given a run in the team he will be as good as, or better than Shorey.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop it, please.

If Mills is the next shorey, Manset is the next batistuta.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 26 Oct 2011 22:35

FiNeRaIn
Ideal EVeryone should be able to see that Mills has potential. Given a run in the team he will be as good as, or better than Shorey.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop it, please.

If Mills is the next shorey, Manset is the next batistuta.

Tell me about, what a mongdiv

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 26 Oct 2011 22:54

Altho Mills has alot of potential I dont think him and shorey can be thought about in the same capacity yet

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Oct 2011 00:58

IIRC, we rescued Shorey from Leyton Orient reserves when he was around the same age as Mills is now.

Just saying like...

Can only imagine the uproar on here if we signed Orient's reserve LB now :lol:

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 27 Oct 2011 09:07

As a key defender Mills should not have been dragged out onto the wing. That area should have been covered by HRK under his instruction. Your best??? defenders should cover the greater danger areas.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Oct 2011 09:34

Mills really needs to learn to be in 2 places at once.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 27 Oct 2011 10:15

No just use his brain. This may come with experience. I just wonder if he might be out of position? I.e.whether he may be better suited to a midfield role? Hes good on the ball - maybe a spell in the reserves to see if he can offer something that Southampton could not see. Dont understand why Griff could not have been switched to that position. Suddenly hes out in the cold for no other than the fact he had a couple of dodgy games. At the moment we are letting in silly goals - experience is whats needed - together with a bit of pace - now there with Gorks and Cummings.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2011 10:54

As I've said before, what Mills brings to the team in terms of pace, athleticism, willingness and ability to get forward to support the attack is pretty important to the way McDermott has us playing. Those attributes are things that Harte can't bring to the table.

I'm not too worried about Mills defending, it's about on a par with Harte's, but what lets him down is his inconsistancy on the ball. He obviously has the capability to do the basics pretty well but far far too often he'll mis-control the ball or get a pass totally wrong. That's where Harte has a massive advantage over him, he's poor touch or pass is infinitely better than Mills'.

Would I drop Mills for Harte right now? No, probably not. Not because Mills is playing well enough to keep his place but because Harte can't get up and down the pitch enough to cover the space and support the attack like we need a fullback to do.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2011 10:57

Svlad Cjelli He's got the potential to get better but the only thing to be sure of is that he's unlikely to if he's constantly slagged off.

Why? A few postings on here really shouldn't have any effect on a player if they're good enough and mentally strong enough to make it. What will dictate his improvement is what happens on the training pitch, in the dressing room and in between his ears, not within the ranting posts of a few fans in cyberspace.

Being young or having support on HNA doesn't mean a player will improve either.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2011 11:03

winchester_royal IIRC, we rescued Shorey from Leyton Orient reserves when he was around the same age as Mills is now.

Just saying like...

Can only imagine the uproar on here if we signed Orient's reserve LB now :lol:

To be fair the comparison doesn't really work. They're similar ages yes, but Shorey's first few appearances in the Reserves were very positive and then when he took his big break in the first team (away to Villa) he looked like he was made for the big time.

His touch and passing were on a different level to that of Mills at the moment and it was pretty obvious we'd unearthed a little gem.

Mills not being as good as Shorey isn't a criticism of him, we've never had a more accomplished fullback than Shorey afterall, but then picking up on his errors isn't slagging him off either, it's more pointing out a weakness in the teams play that can, and most likely will, cause us issues over the rest of the season if it isn't addressed.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Oct 2011 11:05

Hoop Blah
Svlad Cjelli He's got the potential to get better but the only thing to be sure of is that he's unlikely to if he's constantly slagged off.

Why? A few postings on here really shouldn't have any effect on a player if they're good enough and mentally strong enough to make it. What will dictate his improvement is what happens on the training pitch, in the dressing room and in between his ears, not within the ranting posts of a few fans in cyberspace.

Being young or having support on HNA doesn't mean a player will improve either.

not just on here though is it- he can here it when a section of y25 groans when his names announced, or when he misplaces a pass/miscontrols the ball. bound to get to him

and although, you may say -ahhh delicate little flower, get over it, man up etc, he is young, and could probably do without it.

everyonecan see areas where he can improve, but we should probably try and focus on the positives, for his, and ourt own sakes

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2011 11:05

Ideal
Hoop Blah what lets him down is his inconsistancy on the ball. He obviously has the capability to do the basics pretty well but far far too often he'll mis-control the ball or get a pass totally wrong.

Again, my perception is that he is probably just really nervous, and that with a bit more experience that aspect of his play will improve dramatically.

Maybe it is, then again, maybe it's something that will prevent him from ever really making the most of the raw ability he has. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that he does make those mistakes and that those mistakes can prove to be both frustrating and at times costly.

As an aside Ideal, do you ever get to go to games or are you based in Norway and so just watch online/on TV?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Oct 2011 11:10

Hoop Blah
Ideal
Hoop Blah what lets him down is his inconsistancy on the ball. He obviously has the capability to do the basics pretty well but far far too often he'll mis-control the ball or get a pass totally wrong.

Again, my perception is that he is probably just really nervous, and that with a bit more experience that aspect of his play will improve dramatically.

Maybe it is, then again, maybe it's something that will prevent him from ever really making the most of the raw ability he has. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that he does make those mistakes and that those mistakes can prove to be both frustrating and at times costly.

As an aside Ideal, do you ever get to go to games or are you based in Norway and so just watch online/on TV?

as has been demonstrated the "mistakes" hes made that have cost us goals were mostly not his mistakes at all, so......

273 posts