North Stand - a heartfelt plea from a fellow fan

Crowthorne Royal

Re: North Stand - a heartfelt plea from a fellow fan

by Crowthorne Royal » 08 Mar 2012 14:47

A lot of truth posted in response. We all have our own experiences but I have to say I've never had a steward come anywhere near me and I have to admit to the 'occasional' swear word in the heat of a passionate game.

No-one seems to have a solution other than keep on singing and others may join in, so that's exactly what I will do.

The kids in the NE corner is of concern. We all want kids to go (I have 2 children myself, great girls but neither interested in football sadly!) and I sit with my godson regularly, they are more than welcome but en masse they can be a pain and as so often these days are not controlled so do rampage a little.

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference on Saturday in a packed stadium.

BTW - hard as hell to cheer/clap against Pompey, great win but a dire game, especially in the second half where both teams were kicking the wrong way!!! :)

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 08 Mar 2012 14:49

Crowthorne Royal I have to admit to the 'occasional' swear word in the heat of a passionate game.

It's people like you that lost us the coveted 'Family Club Of The Year' award :evil:

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 08 Mar 2012 14:52

Simon's Church
Crowthorne Royal I have to admit to the 'occasional' swear word in the heat of a passionate game.

It's people like you that lost us the coveted 'Family Club Of The Year' award :evil:

And people say we've never won a major trophy

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 08 Mar 2012 14:56

I swear uncontrollably at football, I don't even mean to

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 08 Mar 2012 15:20

URZZ I swear uncontrollably at football, I don't even mean to

I swear uncontrollably at work, let alone football

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 08 Mar 2012 15:45

I swear uncontrollably at away games, safety in numbers and all that, West Stand isn't so conducive to that theory

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Mar 2012 16:09

mr_number
Simon's Church

And people say we've never won a major trophy

Ignoring their use of a double negative, that is how we should respond when opposing supporters taunt us about not winning anything!

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 08 Mar 2012 16:18

I sit in the north stand at the moment and the atmosphere is poor, there is no more than about 10 people singing in the stand with most of them being bloody little kids :evil: im deciding to move my seat next year anyway to the y23/24 section as it has a much better atmosphere and less young kids around! and mainly because i dont have to hear that horrific samba chant the drummer made up its bloody woeful! :|

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 08 Mar 2012 16:21

Royals-lad14 and mainly because i dont have to hear that horrific samba chant the drummer made up its bloody woeful! :|

Agreed.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Mar 2012 16:29

Be fair. It's the first new tune that the drummer's learnt in 10 years.

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 08 Mar 2012 16:32

sandman Be fair. It's the first new tune that the drummer's learnt in 10 years.

well tht 10 years has been wasted :lol:

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 08 Mar 2012 17:29

Not a fan of the rare dirty look you receive from people in Y24/Y26 after swearing, admittedly it's rare but still get the few individuals who either haven't been there long enough to know what it is about, or they just like the opportunity to get assey.

Either way, West Stand is thatta way :arrow:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Mar 2012 17:58

Y25 / Y26 never used to be so full of idiots but the last 2 seasons you really notice it. More time is spent harassing the other supporters than supporting our own team. Shame.

Despite all that it still represents IMO the best part of the ground in terms of atmosphere & I won't be moving any time soon.

Lets just support the team instead of goading the other fans all the time. Fair enough a few songs but every fcuking song we sing is directly aimed at winding up the opposition. I just don't understand it.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 08 Mar 2012 18:14

Royal Rother It is obvious that more segregation is required.

1. Family stand where the kids can be a pain and the air is never blue. WEST
2. Singers stand where the yobs and generally noisy oxf*rd can stick together and create the atmosphere they crave. EAST
3. Waiting for God stand where the paramedics can be given priority access. SOUTH
4. The normal person's stand. NORTH

Easy, really.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 08 Mar 2012 18:32

Really irratates me that Y25 area has just been tarnished with the, only idiots sit there brush. As I've said, I too like joining in with the odd curse word or 500 and I by all means am not suggesting that is bright. However, we're hardly anything like most other club's fans' loud area. Go to most clubs and they're more 'yobbish' for the choice of word in their designated areas.

As for singing toward away fans, what ground in the country doesn't do this now? It's hardly a Reading thing...

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 08 Mar 2012 18:34

The Rouge I have sat in Y26 and got fed up with the mini gorillas singing the same anti-X team songs every week, I have sat in Y19 and got fed up with the drummer - not my kind of atmosphere. I have sat in the North and enjoy it when the play is down that end but got fed up that you can't tactically see what is going on and the fact I was urging people to shoot from 35 yards when I thought it was 18 (and the drummer).

I find Y23 gives me the best balance as you get some singing and not too close to the mindless - X are shit but they are better than you crap. That said it is not a good atmosphere (normally).

I wish I hadn't read this thread. I am in Y23 and love it, but Saturday I'm having to move to North stand for one off and everyone's saying its a morgue :roll:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Mar 2012 18:47

URZZ Really irratates me that Y25 area has just been tarnished with the, only idiots sit there brush. As I've said, I too like joining in with the odd curse word or 500 and I by all means am not suggesting that is bright. However, we're hardly anything like most other club's fans' loud area. Go to most clubs and they're more 'yobbish' for the choice of word in their designated areas.

As for singing toward away fans, what ground in the country doesn't do this now? It's hardly a Reading thing...

I sit in Y25 & don't consider myself to be a yob. I curse on occasion & join in with a few chants goading the opposition for sure. I just think we ought to back the team first & foremost rather than all the songs being aimed at the away fans.

VINTAGE ROYAL

by VINTAGE ROYAL » 09 Mar 2012 07:41

All women and children should be removed from y25/26. Anyone who was 18 or above fron '83 on the southbank should move in and Compost's hat and his mates should learn some new songs and stop singing about stabbing swindon, they would probably slice their own fingers.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2012 17:48

miles better this week
throughout the stadium

was worried that the influx of plastics this game would mean an even worse atmosphere, but everyone came to party, and i was much happier than usual.

good to see the kids put down the front near foxo and mags this time

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 11 Mar 2012 17:56

Thought the atmosphere was alot better near me as well