Pre Season friendlies

185 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Pre Season friendlies

by winchester_royal » 11 Jun 2012 15:25

Optimist It's just embarassing! Why are the club wasting such a good opportunity to pull in an extra decent crowd? Palace will attract about 5,000 depending on who we've signed by then. A club of Ajax or Udinese's size would attract about 15,000.

Leicester had Real Madrid at home last year, which suggests getting big clubs to talk to you can't be that difficult.

Because the club are more interested in preparing the team than making a bit of money from a friendly m8.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Jun 2012 20:31

pea Would be up for Brighton away on a summers Tuesday night 8)

Sounds a bit gay. Literally. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Each to their own etc.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 13 Jun 2012 09:11

not quite sure what people are getting het up about with these friendlies, they're just a way for the team to get some miles in their legs and bed down some formations. any game we play even if it's against Barcelona will be a million miles away from the first game of the new season.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 13 Jun 2012 10:12

Wax Jacket not quite sure what people are getting het up about with these friendlies, they're just a way for the team to get some miles in their legs and bed down some formations. any game we play even if it's against Barcelona will be a million miles away from the first game of the new season.

Also, AFC Wimbledon? Come on, this is brilliant. Don't know what people are complaining about.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 13 Jun 2012 10:34

Wombles is going to be superb day out. I expect a full turnout of London Royals.

Optimist

by Optimist » 13 Jun 2012 10:45

Sorry I didn't realise making money was such a bad thing nowadays. I'm not asking for Barcelona, just a team who are going to be at a similar level to the ones we'll be playing this season. I know friendlies are there to gain fitness and try out tactics, but if you're not actually going to test yourself against meaningfull opposition then it's pointless, and you may as well keep working on the training ground.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Jun 2012 11:16

Optimist Sorry I didn't realise making money was such a bad thing nowadays. I'm not asking for Barcelona, just a team who are going to be at a similar level to the ones we'll be playing this season. I know friendlies are there to gain fitness and try out tactics, but if you're not actually going to test yourself against meaningfull opposition then it's pointless, and you may as well keep working on the training ground.

How would an Italian team be anything like what we're going to face next season?

Dawn

by Dawn » 14 Jun 2012 08:34

Friendly at Brighton confirmed for Tuesday 7th August

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2810808,00.html?

Optimist

by Optimist » 14 Jun 2012 10:15

winchester_royal
Optimist Sorry I didn't realise making money was such a bad thing nowadays. I'm not asking for Barcelona, just a team who are going to be at a similar level to the ones we'll be playing this season. I know friendlies are there to gain fitness and try out tactics, but if you're not actually going to test yourself against meaningfull opposition then it's pointless, and you may as well keep working on the training ground.

How would an Italian team be anything like what we're going to face next season?

Where did I say anything about us playing an Italian team :?:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 14 Jun 2012 16:18

Optimist
winchester_royal

Where did I say anything about us playing an Italian team :?:

Spanish teams aren't similar either m8

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 15 Jun 2012 15:28

Optimist Where did I say anything about us playing an Italian team :?:

Right here.

Optimist It's just embarassing! Why are the club wasting such a good opportunity to pull in an extra decent crowd? Palace will attract about 5,000 depending on who we've signed by then. A club of Ajax or Udinese's size would attract about 15,000.

Unless you wanted us to specifically find a club equal in size to Udinese but not Udinese themselves.

Not having a dig though, cos whilst I'd stop short of calling it embarassing, I do agree with your sentiments. However, I think I've had my say on this thread previously, so I won't repeat myself.

Optimist

by Optimist » 16 Jun 2012 13:42

Yes, exactly. "A club of their size", not necessarily them or another from their country. Glad that's cleared up.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 18 Jun 2012 09:23

I'd just like to say, having seent the fixture list this morning, I have now changed my mind and think the club have this spot on.

Stoke (H) first will be no a frills affair.

I think championship opposition in the run up will be just what the players need to prepare for Pulis' dirty barstewards!

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 18 Jun 2012 11:14

Leicester had Real Madrid at home last year, which suggests getting big clubs to talk to you can't be that difficult.

Whats the point though of getting everyones heads down as we've just been pummelled by a European Giant. I'd rather have a Championship team to help with the Premier League transition. Or Aldershot :lol:

Cypry

by Cypry » 18 Jun 2012 11:52

Was discussing this yesterday and personally I think the club have done a cracking job...

Albeit they're friendly games, I think both CP and Brighton will be "up for it", Brighton in particular - I know a couple of Brighton STHs and they consider that we did a right job on them at the Amex and they should have won the game....

Perfect to have a couple of good competitive fixtures in late pre-season. I'd much rather the club focussed on the team in some harder fought games, than had some meaningless kick-about with a "big name" which will tell us nothing about the team...

It's not really like we need the cash from the friendlies now that TSI is confirmed is it?

Optimist

by Optimist » 21 Jun 2012 10:33

Another one to add to the list for the reserves;

Boreham Wood v Reading XI
Tuesday 24th July.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 22 Jun 2012 15:53

When's the goddam tickets for AFC Wimbledon going to go on sale or is it a case of turning up on the day?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 22 Jun 2012 17:20

Can't see it selling out m8.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 22 Jun 2012 18:46

Optimist Sorry I didn't realise making money was such a bad thing nowadays. I'm not asking for Barcelona, just a team who are going to be at a similar level to the ones we'll be playing this season.

From what I was told last time we were in this position, playing any European team costs so much that it is hard to make a friendly make money - hence when we played Feyenoord there was a bonus in the form of Royalty Points to make sure the cost of the opposition was at least covered.

Optimist

by Optimist » 26 Jun 2012 11:36

starliaison
Optimist Sorry I didn't realise making money was such a bad thing nowadays. I'm not asking for Barcelona, just a team who are going to be at a similar level to the ones we'll be playing this season.

From what I was told last time we were in this position, playing any European team costs so much that it is hard to make a friendly make money - hence when we played Feyenoord there was a bonus in the form of Royalty Points to make sure the cost of the opposition was at least covered.

Fair enough.

185 posts