English players at RFC - do you care?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: English players at RFC - do you care?

by Green » 03 Jul 2012 11:26

Ian Royal Pearce - local lad, may as well be English.
Karacan - local lad, may as well be English
Church - local lad, may as well be English
Le Fondre - English
McAnuff - Londoner
Leigertwood - Londoner
Tabb - English born - may as well be English
Robson-Kanu - London lad - may as well be English
Roberts - London born - may as well be English

Need I go on?

TBH, I only really object to a team full of foreign imports, not a team full of people born in England / Britain / British Isles.

I think I get it Ian - it's not what passport they hold, but where they grew up?

Why is this important to you?

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 03 Jul 2012 11:38

who would begrudge anyone the chance to play international football? that would be a step too far. "you can't play for Turkey as you've spent the whole of your career passing sideways for Waitrose PLC"? can't see it myself.

retro royal

by retro royal » 03 Jul 2012 11:39

The new scholars, how many will go onto represent England

Scholars who signed:

-Shpat Ismayli
-Aaron Kuhl
-Rob Dickie
-Dominic Hyam
-Dejaune Cressdale-Taylor
-Germaine Ofoi
-Conor Shaughnessy
-Tariqe Fosu
-Nana Owusu
-George Mclennan
-Liam Kelly
-Jack Stacey
-Jack Jeffrey

Wuzzy87

by Wuzzy87 » 03 Jul 2012 11:49

retro royal The new scholars, how many will go onto represent England

Scholars who signed:

-Shpat Ismayli
-Aaron Kuhl
-Rob Dickie
-Dominic Hyam
-Germaine Ofoi
-Conor Shaughnessy
-Tariqe Fosu
-Nana Owusu
-George Mclennan
-Liam Kelly
-Jack Stacey
-Jack Jeffrey

Nana Owusu?

Bit old... bring back Lloyd

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 03 Jul 2012 12:20

We need some home grown players, the majority of players to be familiar with the English lifestyle and they should speak English. Nationality is not important, although as an Englishman I would like to see all clubs field some English players.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Jul 2012 12:51

Wax Jacket who would begrudge anyone the chance to play international football? that would be a step too far. "you can't play for Turkey as you've spent the whole of your career passing sideways for Waitrose PLC"? can't see it myself.

Good luck to 'em.

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 03 Jul 2012 16:06

Hendo
southstand67 I don't really think that British players really want to play anywhere else than in the Premiership. Can you see Jack Wilshere wanting to play for Barcelona?

Nah, Owen never wanted to play in Spain either ..

I think any player Barca/RM sign would be foolish to turn down the chance.

Owen went to RM because he's a mercenary little prick and was happy to sit on their bench for £100k p/w. Wilshere is also a little prick, too soon to say whether he's a mercenary too but if Barca wanted him then he'd be off.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Jul 2012 16:24

BrockManson
Hendo
southstand67 I don't really think that British players really want to play anywhere else than in the Premiership. Can you see Jack Wilshere wanting to play for Barcelona?

Nah, Owen never wanted to play in Spain either ..

I think any player Barca/RM sign would be foolish to turn down the chance.

Owen went to RM because he's a mercenary little prick and was happy to sit on their bench for £100k p/w. Wilshere is also a little prick, too soon to say whether he's a mercenary too but if Barca wanted him then he'd be off.

If you were offered a similar gig you'd turn it down would you?

I'd be on the first flight over.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jul 2012 17:06

If Gylfi was still with us, he would be regarded as a home grown player. Shows how irrelevant nationality is becoming really.

The bulk of our non English players were born in England. I really don't think it matters what nationality they are, after all, they are representing the club, not the country.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Jul 2012 17:06

Beckham never wanted to go either ..

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 03 Jul 2012 17:24

I care in terms of the wider effect on the England team.

Agree with sentiments that the mostly British bunch makes no odds with me... Legs, Karacan, HRK, Church, Jobi would play for England if they could. I'd play for antigua if I could!

But I think its wrong that the UK's "globally-open" economy/immigration policy must stop some talented youngsters from making the grade.

Its fantastic at premierleague level, don't get me wrong. For £350 we can see some of the top stars in world football next season, who are being paid a ridulous amount. Season ticker holders are effectively chipping in twenty quid per game, when that would total only the indiviudal per game salary of 2 or 3 of the 22 players out there. So as with all migration, at the highest, top level, its an economic bargain for our country.

And for the British players who make it, Wilsheres, Ramseys, Oxlade-Chamberlains, Bales, they have proved themselves just by making it to the elite.

But go down to League 1 or 2 and to me its a different story. Each year 10s of kids are turfed out of clubs not making the grade, as its cheaper to invest in foreign imports than coaching. If the likes of Jorge Leitao etc or the foreigners currently at lower clubs were any good, then they wouldnt come to League 1 or League 2. Theres Germans, Argentinians you name it at that level, but how many English kids are training at a similar level in those countries?

To some extent the recession and football debt problems have lessened the issue, the heyday 5 years ago of foreigners galore has retrenched to only a couple per club. But I think England are suffering its effects - where Germany have an unlimited supply of Benders to back up their team, and even Boenisches who resort to other sides , Englands squad was down to Jordan Henderson. Rooney, Wilshere and Ashley cole may be as good as anyone, but they are pressurised to deliver yet guaranteed to make the team.

I can't help think we're in a unique situation in sport where 92 professional clubs can't guarantee a gravy train of capable pros.
Of course, when it comes to it, I doubt James Henry would be a premierleague footballer if we hadn't had the option of Kebe. But if you gave 100 Henrys the chance, probably a few would make it to the Henderson level. I don't think England's XI is harmed directly by foreigners, but we are picking from fewer than 50 decent players and that can't help.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jul 2012 17:41

retro royal The new scholars, how many will go onto represent England

Scholars who signed:

-Shpat Ismayli
-Aaron Kuhl
-Rob Dickie
-Dominic Hyam
-Germaine Ofoi
-Conor Shaughnessy
-Tariqe Fosu
-Nana Owusu
-George Mclennan
-Liam Kelly
-Jack Stacey
-Jack Jeffrey

In all probability, none will. Fosu-Henry and Kuhl are the best candidates. Aside from McLennan, and maybe Kelly and Shaughnessy, I think they're all eligible to represent England, but the vast majority will never be good enough.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jul 2012 17:57

That happens when the game is money driven from the top down though. Pay the most money and you will attract the most expensive players. The FA are too obsessed with selling "product".

The Bundesliga is a good example for how a league can be run. There's an emphasis on producing home grown players, a level of financial equality and common sense which creates a competative league and the national team are reaping the rewards. Even if it meant German clubs were less competative in Europe for a few years, it's all for the greater good..

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 03 Jul 2012 18:02

Would he want to - definitely
Would he be good enough to - possibly

Anyway to drag my response back to the topic - most of our players are only foreign by association (football association that is) because they're "not good enough" to be English or to put it another way, their only chance of playing international football was through the country of a parent/grandparent.

Another point is it used to be true that if you had 2 players of similar ability, 1 English and 1 foreign, the English player would usually cost more - I don't know if this is still the case as I don't play FM or FIFA

by If you still hate Futcher » 03 Jul 2012 18:18

From Despair To Where? That happens when the game is money driven from the top down though. Pay the most money and you will attract the most expensive players. The FA are too obsessed with selling "product".

The Bundesliga is a good example for how a league can be run. There's an emphasis on producing home grown players, a level of financial equality and common sense which creates a competative league and the national team are reaping the rewards. Even if it meant German clubs were less competative in Europe for a few years, it's all for the greater good..

Yes to a certain extent the Premiership has been counter productive for the FA and it's only going to get worse with more and more foreign ownership - can you see the Glazer's agreeing to promote home grown players if it means gambling their annual Champions League cash cow and all the "interest free loans" they get out of it.

I know the days when a German line-up looked like the Waffen SS on parade are gone, but using that team, which includes 2 Poles, a Turk and a Ghanaian (sic) (and if Gomez were good enough he'd be Spanish), as an example is interesting although nowadays home grown doesn't necessarily mean they were born in the country of the FA they represent.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 03 Jul 2012 18:58

Green
Ian Royal Pearce - local lad, may as well be English.
Karacan - local lad, may as well be English
Church - local lad, may as well be English
Le Fondre - English
McAnuff - Londoner
Leigertwood - Londoner
Tabb - English born - may as well be English
Robson-Kanu - London lad - may as well be English
Roberts - London born - may as well be English

Need I go on?

TBH, I only really object to a team full of foreign imports, not a team full of people born in England / Britain / British Isles.

I think I get it Ian - it's not what passport they hold, but where they grew up?

Why is this important to you?

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jul 2012 21:56

From Despair To Where? That happens when the game is money driven from the top down though. Pay the most money and you will attract the most expensive players. The FA are too obsessed with selling "product".

Yes to a certain extent the Premiership has been counter productive for the FA and it's only going to get worse with more and more foreign ownership - can you see the Glazer's agreeing to promote home grown players if it means gambling their annual Champions League cash cow and all the "interest free loans" they get out of it.

I know the days when a German line-up looked like the Waffen SS on parade are gone, but using that team, which includes 2 Poles, a Turk and a Ghanaian (sic) (and if Gomez were good enough he'd be Spanish), as an example is interesting although nowadays home grown doesn't necessarily mean they were born in the country of the FA they represent.

But the majority of those players are German by birth or moved to Germany at a very young age, in much the same way John Barnes, John Salako, or Leroy Lita, for example, have represented England at some lever rather than Jamaica, Nigeria or DR Congo. Owen Hargreaves is an interesting case though of a player who used the old granny rule to play for England despite not being born or ever living there.

by If you still hate Futcher » 03 Jul 2012 23:28

^ ...and 95% (if not more) of the Republic of Ireland team under Jack Charlton

Royal Dee

by Royal Dee » 04 Jul 2012 01:36

dont really care tbh and i dont like the rules that a team has to play a certain number of "home grown" players this asserts that english players are not good enough to get into a team on their own merit and without aid. We should be focusing on why english players are not getting picked in the EPL, focus on the solution to the problem not the symptom! e.g. improve english youth football etc... its all been said before really but i think forcing average players to mix in with the top players isnt going to make them top players (the saying you cant polish a turd comes to mind)

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 04 Jul 2012 05:40

John Salako
Johnny John Salako...