Re: Back from the Game - Wimbledon

by Stuka » 14 Jul 2012 20:35

A good day out. Church ruled the day.

Sir John Peel pub was traumatic though.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 14 Jul 2012 20:58

Great day out.

Easy to get to on the train, and ground easy to find. Plenty of pubs and food around but headed straight to the ground. Once their we had a couple of beers in the main stand bar which for under £3 a pint can't be sniffed at. Also refreshing to be served by proper bar staff with the ability to hold a conversation and get your order right!

Dissapointed not to find a BBQ at the ground having read of one online beforehand. Instead have a pretty average hotdog once on the stand. Ground was nice but small, probably took 600 Royals in a crowd of around 2,000. We were in a pretty basic concrete terrace with some Royals in the seated main stand opposite, no stand to the right and a decent end terrace to our left. What is pretty unique is that the tunnel is in the main stand opposite yet the benches were infront of our stand, very strange. Also a quick nod to the stewards who were friendly and willing to have a bit of banter.

Game was pretty dull first half, very much a pre-season friendly opener. Refreshing to see Reading score a penalty, and ALF's second was nicely finished. Second half we showed our Premiership quality in that we had the strength in depth to field a quality second team, this against a thread bare Wimbledon side complete with trialists made for men against boys. Antonio looked good, perhaps he was trying to catch the eye of a couple of scouts (although sounds like the Sheff Weds deal is pretty much done). Church looked sharp and I can now proudly tell the grandchildren 'I was there when Churchy scored a hat-trick!' Lol.

Other observations, Guthrie and Shorey made solid starts with nothing too special, Garath McCleary looks like he may contain a few tricks but largely failed to impress. Only the second time I've ever seen Keown and both times he's looked rock solid. Hector was my stand out man though, the lad has got so much potential and is already a beast!!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Jul 2012 21:31

Impossible to judge anyone in their first 45 minutes, especially wingers who take time to get into their rhythm over the season.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 14 Jul 2012 21:41

SWLR
Who was No.27 - did a fan win a place in the team in a raffle

Early contender for quote of the season. Well, i thought it was :lol:

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 14 Jul 2012 21:46

Impressed with Hector today. shown more than enough to think he'll make a career in the game. Can see a long queue of clubs wanting to take him on loan this season.

Osborns scoop

by Osborns scoop » 14 Jul 2012 22:08

RIP ELM Park Impressed with Hector today. shown more than enough to think he'll make a career in the game. Can see a long queue of clubs wanting to take him on loan this season.

Agreed. Looked like a seasoned pro. Calm, composed and effective on the ball and solid defensively. I can remember a beast of a header on the half way line. Very impressive.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jul 2012 22:14

Stuka A good day out. Church ruled the day.

Sir John Peel pub was traumatic though.

Did you play 'count the c-section' once the 4pm shift came in. :lol:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jul 2012 22:16

Loved Hector's scuffle with the trialist keeper, especially after him having a go at Izale MacLeod last season.

JordCot

by JordCot » 14 Jul 2012 22:17

Not really going to be able to say anything that other people have noticed. Against a poor (particularly second half) Wimbledon side you have to take the performances with a pinch of salt.

1st half we were in control but struggled to create all that much, due in part to decent enough defending. Keown looked a decent player and looked like he will probably be our 3rd choice RB if someone like Mariappa doesn't cover there, would be surprised if he wasn't on the plane to Portugal. Gutherie looked like the type of midfielder we were looking for, good eye for a pass and had decent success with the cross field balls to Hal, seemed like he was happy to mix it with the tackles as well which was encouraging. Mcleary flattered to deceive today but has a bag of tricks and looked like he could be a good player. I was the other end of the ground so It was hard to see but did Robson-Kanu beat his man much today?? it seemed the ball would be switched out to him and then i lost sight and wimbledon would have possession again. Two well taken goals from Alf and as much as you would expect.

2nd half much weaker team from Wimbledon and it showed. Church took his goals well and Antonio looked bright and against a weak opposition they couldn't really have much more. It was nice to see but hasn't particularly changed my opinion on either. Roberts played half of the time midfield he was so desperate to be involved and when he got the ball showed some class.

It was the first time I had seen Obita play and with all the hype surrounding him i was unsure how it would turn out. He showed exactly why people have been raving about him. An assist and an impressive goal as well as some really intelligent runs and build up play, exciting times.

Big Hect was another player that I was really impressed with. Full of energy and enthusiasm (sometimes a little naive) and absolutely massive. We never really saw him stretched much but looks like he could have a decent turn of pace on him and most surprisingly looked very comfortable with ball at his feet.

Nothing much to say about Taylor or Shorey, never tested but made no mistakes.

Good day out

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 14 Jul 2012 22:38

My verdict based on today:

McCarthy - Not tested
Keown - Looks weak and young, but defended rather well and got forward once to good effect. Could have potential if he bulks up.
Morrison - Solid, massive, looked comfortable
Gorkks - As solid as ever. Killer ball on the ground for Le Fondre's second.
Harte - Decent, great defensively, good combination with HRK
McLeary - very skilful, determined to beat his man, some trickery, but rarely got a cross in.
Guthrie - passes effortlessly around the midfield, some killer balls, willing to shoot.
Tabb - Ran around like a madman. He's everywhere, but I'm not sure he'll be physically able to compete in the Prem.
Robson-Kanu - Constantly taking on and getting the better of his man. Great left foot and devastating pace.
Le Fondre - Composed. Good runs, good pace.
Hunt - Fantastic effort. Winning balls, creating chances, looked decent.

Taylor - Not tested
Cummings - Decent, linked up well with Antonio. Good going forward.
Hector - Looked slim and athletic. Liked dribbling and skilful on the ball, showed some aggression - definitely one to watch.
Pearce - Didn't have to do much.
Shorey - Did all the basics right.
Antonio - Absolutely raped their left back. Pace, skill, crosses and a looped headed goal.
McAnuff - Looked good with Leigertwood in the middle. A little unaware of players closing him down though. Found lots of space.
Leigertwood - Did his job without issue.
Obita - Who needs Nathan Redmond? Could be a very good winger. Celebrated like mad when he scored. Assited Antonio's header. Beat his man several times.
Roberts - Not great, but held the ball up ok and allowed Church to play an advanced position.
Church - Looked pacey, determined and dangerous. Did well to score 3.

Sheppard - Barely touched the ball.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 14 Jul 2012 23:22

Hard to gauge much from today - interesting to see on here that Wimbledon had several trialists. Thought that might be the case as there was an obvious difference in class between some of their players and others.
As much as I'm not a fan of Simon Church, I thought some of the stick he got from our fans was excessively harsh. Glad he got some goals today - anything that boosts his confidence is a plus point if he is staying with us. I almost get the feeling some people hope he fails instead of succeeds so their opinions don't have to change - could be wrong though.
Promising displays from some of the young players though again hard to gauge whether the likes of Obita and Hector looked good because they were up against League Two (and possibly below) standard players or because they are genuinely ready for a crack at our first team. Thought Keown also had some positive moments.
A nice way to start pre-season, catching up with friends and meeting new people. Always a plus when a pint is under £3 at a football match and was good to be able to stand on a terrace for a change. Hope Wimbledon can get their act together before the season starts, but most importantly I hope this is the start of a good season for us.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jul 2012 23:52

sounded fun

what size crowd was it?

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 15 Jul 2012 01:41

PieEater A standard pre-season game against a poor AFC side. First half we got a soft pen and Alf put it away albeit unconvincingly blasting it down the middle. His second was much better, a great through ball from Gorkss and Alf got there before the keeper and played a neat chip over him.

Second half was a much stronger Royals side against what looked to be a worse AFC side. The first was a looping header from Antonio right into the corner, then next another header but this time from Church. He then got his second putting in a spilled Roberts shot. His hat trick was 1 on 1 that he put away confidently. Goal of the day was the 6th, Obita hitting a rasping left foot shot right across the keeper into the corner.

Overall a decent day out, we certainly looked a lot better with Ledge and McAnuff playing. I was quite impressed with Hector, pairing with Pearce in the second half. He looks fast, tall, strong and skillful.

Shephard - not impressed, McClearly showed odd moments but lost the ball a lot.

As good a summary of the game as there's likely to be. Shephard - not really a chance to get into the game. McCleary - didn't offer much but won't judge him (or Karl on that). He lacked delivery nad 2nd half, the first half decent balls into the box, we scored from.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 15 Jul 2012 05:49

Errrr....where was our Russian international?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 15 Jul 2012 07:24

Cripple Creek Errrr....where was our Russian international?

extended holiday due to his involvement in the euros.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 15 Jul 2012 08:54

Visa hasn't arrived yet

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 15 Jul 2012 11:20

urz13

Visa hasn't arrived yet

No. Given extra time off because of his involvement in Euro 2012

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 15 Jul 2012 13:10

Pretty much what was expected against an AFCW side made up of first teamers, reserves and trialists.

No point in really saying any of our first team looked good, they should have done against that opposition!

Pleased for Obita and Hector, both showed why they were so highly thought of at their respective loan clubs last season. Would be nice to see them both loaned out and get game time at a higher level.

Special mention for the AFCW Aussie trailist keeper, he must have been so thankful that the terrace behind him was under construction. In fact Hector did his best to put him on it.

Decent day out, decent ground and the best Bill Oddie so far this season! :wink:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 15 Jul 2012 13:59

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jul 2012 14:03

Based on what I saw of Antonio in 45 minutes yesterday, I will be disappointed to see him leave the club.

During his time with Sheffield Wednesday he has clearly worked hard at improving the weaker points of his game. His ball control was much better and his crossing yesterday was excellent.