Looking For Some Info

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Looking For Some Info

by Barry the bird boggler » 15 Aug 2012 11:31

History wise you'll need to acquaint yourself with this guy

The book you need to read is called "The greatest footballer you never saw".

And also

Heaven on Earth: The Official History of Reading F.C., 1871-2003 by Alan Sedunary

Both should be available online from places like Amazon, Blackwells etc.

Finally the club song :wink: is at http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=18103054&ac=now

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 15 Aug 2012 12:04

nailseabiscuitman Hi Royalwire. You may notice by my username that I am one of the older members on here. The " Biscuitmen" was the original nickname. I have been a supporter for 50 years now, a life sentence!! My daughter lives in Warrington so I actually take a passing interest in your teams results, I think there is a statue of one of your players near the hotel I sometimes stay.
Just out of curiosity, would there ever be a fixture clash? Would your newfound loyalties be tested?
It is a wonderful life supporting the Royals, many many recent highs with few lows. There is a term on here referring to plastics. You are a plastic if you have only supported us in the good times since we moved into the new "plastic" Madejski stadium. So be prepared for the insults (usually light-hearted) also the grammar police can get up your nose a bit!!
So welcome aboard, enjoy the ride, and if we DO go down, stay aboard.

I am hoping that, after reviewing the fixture lists, I should be clear for fixture clashes at least until February when the new Super League season starts. At that point, if Warrington were at home I'd go there as I am a season ticket holder. If Warrington were away and Reading local, I would try to give both a fair crack and go to which seemed like the best game really. So I'd like to think I will give both teams a fair run. It's good that there is minimal clashing of seasons really.

Having supported Warrington For 22 years, I have hard my fair share of hardships so would like to think that regardless of what happens come May I'll be onboard for the long haul!

Hoping for a North West league cup fixture for the next round!

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 15 Aug 2012 12:40

Perhaps there should be an exchange system_Royals fans become Wire fans ( I thought they were Wolves by the way?) and arrange a huge boozy weekend in Warrington with all its delights

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 15 Aug 2012 12:58

nailseabiscuitman Perhaps there should be an exchange system_Royals fans become Wire fans ( I thought they were Wolves by the way?) and arrange a huge boozy weekend in Warrington with all its delights

Wire is to woves what Buscuit Men is to Royals ha-ha!

Warrington Wolves twinned with Reading FC ha-ha! I like it!

On High
Hob Nob Regular

by On High » 15 Aug 2012 13:16

RoyalWire
nailseabiscuitman Perhaps there should be an exchange system_Royals fans become Wire fans ( I thought they were Wolves by the way?) and arrange a huge boozy weekend in Warrington with all its delights

You will have to give us a run down on the Wire - history, players to watch etc. As others have said Rugby League doesn't exactly have a high profile around here, although I remember it being on tv on saturday afternoons in the '80s :?

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 15 Aug 2012 13:29

If you want to get to a home game then our league cup (or capital one cup as its also known) tie against Peterborough will be very easy to get tickets for. However it will most likely be a reserve side mixed in with a couple of youngsters and first teamers. Tickets will be cheap.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 15 Aug 2012 13:34

Warrington has never played outside of the top flight of Rugby League.

For most of the years I watched us we flirted with relegation and were general under achievers.

A local businessman, Simon Moran, bought us a few years back and has invested heavily in us. Simon Moran owns SJM Promotions who put on most of the big music tours in this country, like Take That, Stone Roses etc so he isn’t short of cash…the Man City of Super League ha-ha.

For a while we had great players but not the right coaching set up. Since our new coach Tony Smith took over we have realised our potential. We won the Challenge Cup (RL’s FA Cup) in ’09 and ’10. We finished top of the league last year and are heading back to Wembley again for the Challenge Cup Final again on 25 August against Leeds!

We play a really expansive game. Attractive to watch but can lead to a few ball handling errors, but most people love to watch us. When we want/need to we can strangle a team out of a game with big defence. The lesser teams struggle to still be in the game after 20 minutes.

Players to watch out for:

*Adrian Morley – Most capped British player, won titles in England and Australia. Coming to the end of his career but still uncompromising, crushing forward. Great leader. Used to be a hot head and holds record for fastest sending off in a mere 12 seconds! Youtube him, some great clips.
*Lee Briers – Mastermind play maker, never had decent legs but his brain puts him a step ahead of most players. Great kicking game.
*Ben Westwood – Thick as two short planks! Absolute machine, big hits, big drives with the ball, no nonsense player. Incredible!
*Michael Monahan – Great thinker! Controls the team around the field from hooker.

We’re lucky that our team has tonnes of talent these days, so the list could go on. It’s a good time to support Warrington after many years of dross.

This Friday we play London on Sky Sports with an 8pm kick off. We might play a weakened team due to cup final next week, but give us a watch. If not then, definitely watch the Challenge Cup Final!

Hope that helps!

Oh and we're the Wire due to the towns historic wire production

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 15 Aug 2012 13:36

Picking up some of the younger prospects too Wire.

Atkins, Myler & Ratchford would walk into most SL teams.

Most SL teams walk through London on the other hand.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 15 Aug 2012 13:50

Stooper Picking up some of the younger prospects too Wire.

Atkins, Myler & Ratchford would walk into most SL teams.

Most SL teams walk through London on the other hand.

Bang on there mate, Atkins has been great this season, and Ratch was a great signing.

London will get better under old Tony

On High
Hob Nob Regular

by On High » 15 Aug 2012 13:56

RoyalWire Warrington has never played outside of the top flight of Rugby League.

For most of the years I watched us we flirted with relegation and were general under achievers.

A local businessman, Simon Moran, bought us a few years back and has invested heavily in us. Simon Moran owns SJM Promotions who put on most of the big music tours in this country, like Take That, Stone Roses etc so he isn’t short of cash…the Man City of Super League ha-ha.

For a while we had great players but not the right coaching set up. Since our new coach Tony Smith took over we have realised our potential. We won the Challenge Cup (RL’s FA Cup) in ’09 and ’10. We finished top of the league last year and are heading back to Wembley again for the Challenge Cup Final again on 25 August against Leeds!

We play a really expansive game. Attractive to watch but can lead to a few ball handling errors, but most people love to watch us. When we want/need to we can strangle a team out of a game with big defence. The lesser teams struggle to still be in the game after 20 minutes.

Players to watch out for:

*Adrian Morley – Most capped British player, won titles in England and Australia. Coming to the end of his career but still uncompromising, crushing forward. Great leader. Used to be a hot head and holds record for fastest sending off in a mere 12 seconds! Youtube him, some great clips.
*Lee Briers – Mastermind play maker, never had decent legs but his brain puts him a step ahead of most players. Great kicking game.
*Ben Westwood – Thick as two short planks! Absolute machine, big hits, big drives with the ball, no nonsense player. Incredible!
*Michael Monahan – Great thinker! Controls the team around the field from hooker.

We’re lucky that our team has tonnes of talent these days, so the list could go on. It’s a good time to support Warrington after many years of dross.

This Friday we play London on Sky Sports with an 8pm kick off. We might play a weakened team due to cup final next week, but give us a watch. If not then, definitely watch the Challenge Cup Final!

Hope that helps!

Oh and we're the Wire due to the towns historic wire production

Thanks, nice summary. Hopefully RFC will deliver similar success :wink: There looks to be a few similarities, we have a great manager, we try to win every game and have relied on our defence too. New owner doesn't seem to be short of cash either.

Will certainly be cheering you on against Leeds. Do the Leeds supporters have the same over inflated opinion of themselves as their footballing brethren? Always such a 'nice' crowd :evil:

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 15 Aug 2012 14:02

In general all RL fans get on, all mingle together without trouble. We even have one round each season which all 14 teams play at the same ground over two days...this year was at the Etihad. Here you have all 14 sets of fans under one roof which is cool.

However, Leeds can be quite arrogant, but they've been a great success over the last decade so maybe have earned it...but we'll put them in their place next week as we did in the '10 final ha-ha!

Rarely get any crowd violence with the rugby, but both Hull teams can caused some trouble from time to time. Don't know if they do in football

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 15 Aug 2012 14:16

On High
RoyalWire

You will have to give us a run down on the Wire - history, players to watch etc. As others have said Rugby League doesn't exactly have a high profile around here, although I remember it being on tv on saturday afternoons in the '80s :?

Bring back Eddie Waring - up'n'under and all

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 15 Aug 2012 14:33

RoyalWire
Only one Trevor Morley I have a feeling this could turn into an epic thread - better to rename it the indoctrination of a lancastrian. What made you choose Royal Wire as a name by the way.

I popped for Royal Wire as Wire is the nickname of my Rugby club Warrington Wolves, so split my passions.

Hopefully get a few of you guys doing the reverse and keeping an eye out for the wire ha-ha-ha!

Would like to be able to return the favour and support the Wolves, but my girlfriend lives in Wigan and is a big warrior's fan and if i want to be able to have my
wicked way with her when i'm up there i best not follow the Wolves.
As a male im sure you'll appreciate my predicament :D

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 15 Aug 2012 14:36

royal_cornwall
RoyalWire
Only one Trevor Morley I have a feeling this could turn into an epic thread - better to rename it the indoctrination of a lancastrian. What made you choose Royal Wire as a name by the way.

I popped for Royal Wire as Wire is the nickname of my Rugby club Warrington Wolves, so split my passions.

Hopefully get a few of you guys doing the reverse and keeping an eye out for the wire ha-ha-ha!

Would like to be able to return the favour and support the Wolves, but my girlfriend lives in Wigan and is a big warrior's fan and if i wanna be able to my

I understand your position, she must be fit as a butcher's dog to be worth putting up with the 12 toed piemasters though ha-ha!

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 15 Aug 2012 14:48

RoyalWire
royal_cornwall
RoyalWire I have a feeling this could turn into an epic thread - better to rename it the indoctrination of a lancastrian. What made you choose Royal Wire as a name by the way.

Would like to be able to return the favour and support the Wolves, but my girlfriend lives in Wigan and is a big warrior's fan and if i wanna be able to my

I understand your position, she must be fit as a butcher's dog to be worth putting up with the 12 toed piemasters though ha-ha![/quote]

Quick look over my shoulder to make sure she can't see me typing this

But what the hell is it with Wiganers and pies? If i never ate another pie ever i wouldn't be sorry, its pie for breakfast, dinner and tea oh and for beer munches at the end
of a night out :shock:

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 15 Aug 2012 15:04

Wigan is home to the Annual World Pie Eating Championship...true story!

It's an odd place!

Still, Wire have done the double on them this year so :D

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 15 Aug 2012 16:18

What's wrong with Pies?

And it's not an odd place FTR.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 15 Aug 2012 16:26

RoyalWire Wigan is home to the Annual World Pie Eating Championship...true story!

It's an odd place!

Still, Wire have done the double on them this year so :D

You seem to be a man in the know about pies, what vegetables do they have accompanying the pies at the championship?

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 15 Aug 2012 20:29

RoyalWire After all i've learned today, plus the arrival of my home shirt, I cant wait for Saturday's hopefully live stream!

I admire your enthusiasm, mate. How do you imagine youll feel when your watching it? I mean, it's not a sport you like. I enjoyed watching the archery at the Olympics but that doesn't mean I'd like to watch it nearly every weekend for 9 months a year. Especially if my guy was gonna get pummelled every week :wink:

But, regardless, welcome aboard. It should be a great season. And I don't think we'll get pummelled every week, just to clear that up.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 15 Aug 2012 21:13

Stuka This is you in a few years:

See this bloke all the time. Is he a nobber?