Lowest spenders

urzmikep

Re: Lowest spenders

by urzmikep » 30 Aug 2012 19:57

Only time will tell, but IMHO those of you that think we've done enough in the transfer market to keep us in the Premier league are seriously dissolusioned. Having seen the tranfers going through today for our relegation rivals we are way behind and will struggle to survive.

Southampton and Wet Sham have made significant signings today (be it permanent or on loan), even Cardiff in the Championship have spent more money than us.

I think everyone needs to take off their rose coloured glasses and wake up to the fact that unfortunately money talks in the premier league and despite new Owners we've not spent enough. The Reading Way does not work in today's premier league despite how good the team spirit is. Men against boys!!!!

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 30 Aug 2012 20:22

Our two weakest areas are upfront and left wing.

Should the Pog get injured we seriously lack any Premier League Class players. Hunt is not up to it, ALF is a poacher who needs a partner, and there's a reason Roberts dropped a league in the first place. I'm amazed McDermott feels we're capable in this department. Goals win games and with this strike force we'll struggle.

Personally didn't feel HRK was Championship quality, let alone Top Flight. He's so one footed and just looks for a dead end and run downs it. Jobi has talent, but lacks the pace required.

Hope I'm wrong, but come January we'll be bottom 3 for sure.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Aug 2012 20:23

It's being so cheery that keeps you going.

Cypry

by Cypry » 30 Aug 2012 20:32

sandman It's being so cheery that keeps you going.

Yup, right old barrel of laughs this thread......seem to remember loads of similar stuff towards the end of August last year - "League 1 here we come"........

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 30 Aug 2012 20:46

if we all had the same opinions there would be no point in a discussion forum would there?

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 30 Aug 2012 21:19

Cypry
sandman It's being so cheery that keeps you going.

Yup, right old barrel of laughs this thread......seem to remember loads of similar stuff towards the end of August last year - "League 1 here we come"........

I know, it's all sunshine and light this thread, isn't it. Nice and positive. :)

It's funny how it always tends to be the same people predicting doom. It's almost as if it has something to with their outlook, rather than actual real life facts. :D

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Aug 2012 21:27

We're going to stay up. A mix of teamwork, 1-0 wins & backs to the wall defending will give us the points we need. We only need to finish ahead of 3 other teams, and i'm not worried about West Ham, Wigan, Villa and Norwich.

Have a bit of faith people #under the radar

P.S. Lets all not panic when West Brom beat us, they're going on a mighty charge this season, and i recon they'll finish just short of Europe.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Aug 2012 21:30

:D So what if we are the lowest spenders, BM knows how to build a team. The premiership is full of dross and we aren't even in the relegation equation as far as I'm concerned. :D

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Aug 2012 21:32

Ascotexgunner :D So what if we are the lowest spenders, BM knows how to build a team. The premiership is full of dross and we aren't even in the relegation equation as far as I'm concerned. :D

I'm all for positivity and all that, but out of the equitation is a bit of a stretch.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 30 Aug 2012 22:57

Anyone watch Moneyball? It's what we do

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 31 Aug 2012 01:17

Royal Ginger We're going to stay up. A mix of teamwork, 1-0 wins & backs to the wall defending will give us the points we need. We only need to finish ahead of 3 other teams, and i'm not worried about West Ham, Wigan, Villa and Norwich.

Have a bit of faith people #under the radar

P.S. Lets all not panic when West Brom beat us, they're going on a mighty charge this season, and i recon they'll finish just short of Europe.

I like your positivity. I'm not overly worried about Southampton and Fulham either.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 31 Aug 2012 02:11

Hobartian

by Hobartian » 31 Aug 2012 07:51

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

:lol: yeah, QPR only spent that much...

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 Aug 2012 07:58

Lowest spenders but so far second highest amount of players in behind fake hoops

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 31 Aug 2012 07:59

As has been said, we've gone past the point where transfer fees are the biggest cost to clubs, it's now signing on fees and wages. 10 years ago spending so little might have been a problem but when we're talking about paying Pog £2.5m a year in wages, it doesn't really matter as much.

urzmikep

by urzmikep » 31 Aug 2012 08:03

We will be bottom of the spending list when the end of the day as Fulham, Stoke and West Brom all have deals for players going through today.
We can live and hope that we will do a deal today (especially as the rumours are that Church to Huddersfiled has been agreed)
Lets just hope that Mac D knows what he's doing as i fear that January will be too late.

Cypry

by Cypry » 31 Aug 2012 09:27

urzmikep We will be bottom of the spending list when the end of the day as Fulham, Stoke and West Brom all have deals for players going through today.
We can live and hope that we will do a deal today (especially as the rumours are that Church to Huddersfiled has been agreed)
Lets just hope that Mac D knows what he's doing as i fear that January will be too late.

I just don't get the concern around how much we've spent (on transfer fees)...so what if we're bottom of the spending table - as someone else said, that has little to do with finishing position in the league, wages are a better indicator of that...

As Mcd showed last year, it's not about having lots of headline players, it's about building a team, and making the sum of the parts exceed their individual performance "on paper". We did this superbly last year and I believe that there are few mangers better than Brian at this approach....

If we get someone in today who will add depth to the squad, then great, I'll be as happy as anyone. What I don't want is us to take part in a pissing contest (as some seem to think we need to), because everyone else has spent more than us.....

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 31 Aug 2012 09:50

I don't understand...

So despite our astute signings so far we need to be seen to be spending money to survive? Does this mean if Pog had been £5m, Guthrie had been £3m, McCleary £2m, Gunter £2m, Shorey £1m we'd have spent a whopping £13m and you'd all be sat here a lot happier despite having the same squad? Or perhaps we should sign Bas Savage for £15m to show our intentions?

This is real life not bloody champ man! If we struggle (which I don't think we will) then the difference this time compared to our last Prem campaign is we have the money available to make changes in January. Until then let's not concern ourselves with those taking up the back pages with over inflated transfer fees and instead let's focus on getting behind the squad we've got in once again showing the sceptics that we should never be under estimated.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Aug 2012 10:24

urzmikep Only time will tell, but IMHO those of you that think we've done enough in the transfer market to keep us in the Premier league are seriously dissolusioned. Having seen the tranfers going through today for our relegation rivals we are way behind and will struggle to survive.

Southampton and Wet Sham have made significant signings today (be it permanent or on loan), even Cardiff in the Championship have spent more money than us.

I think everyone needs to take off their rose coloured glasses and wake up to the fact that unfortunately money talks in the premier league and despite new Owners we've not spent enough. The Reading Way does not work in today's premier league despite how good the team spirit is. Men against boys!!!!

if staying up means we have to spend 30 million quid just to have a chance, then id rather go down tbf
use the parachutes to build the club up and yo yo until we can afford to blow that kind of cash

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Aug 2012 10:27

Royal Prince I don't understand...

So despite our astute signings so far we need to be seen to be spending money to survive? Does this mean if Pog had been £5m, Guthrie had been £3m, McCleary £2m, Gunter £2m, Shorey £1m we'd have spent a whopping £13m and you'd all be sat here a lot happier despite having the same squad? Or perhaps we should sign Bas Savage for £15m to show our intentions?

This is real life not bloody champ man! If we struggle (which I don't think we will) then the difference this time compared to our last Prem campaign is we have the money available to make changes in January. Until then let's not concern ourselves with those taking up the back pages with over inflated transfer fees and instead let's focus on getting behind the squad we've got in once again showing the sceptics that we should never be under estimated.

pog guthrie and mcleary for free >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>spending 7 million on jay rodriguez, or replacing an entire new team in one summer
imo