Worst matchday experience?

157 posts
BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worst matchday experience?

by BenReadingFC » 07 Sep 2012 00:47

royalexile
Stuboo Being knocked out of the play offs by Burnley. Horrible. It hurt. And being in Y25 you had the jeering, celebrating away fans rubbing it in. Then I had to face the banter in the pub afterwards. Painful.

Second to that, one of the home games when we were doing rubbish under Brendan Rogers. One game the home fans turned on each other in Y25/26. Some were booing the team and others took offense to this, shouting back at them. It was just an awful atmosphere a) because we were on a massive losing run; b) because of the bitterness between the fans.

QPR away was the real turning point there. Rogers had well and truly lost the support that day. That was probably the death knell.

That is a FACT. If that fixture was at home then I'd have been on the pitch demanding he get the boot.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 07 Sep 2012 00:50

I had managed to blank the Rodgers era from my memory.
Now you've brought it all flooding back again.
AAAAAAAARGH! :cry: :evil: :twisted:

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 07 Sep 2012 00:54

cmonurz Thinking back the last game at Elm Park was a bit miserable too. Atmosphere never really took off, we played utter gimp, and then a load of chavs ran on the pitch and ripped it to pieces. Brilliant. Not the sentimental final game at our old ground I’d hoped for.

Sorry about that, Got a decent souvenir though from behind the away end goal :D

:lol:

Come on, Own up, Who nicked the hands from the Elm Park clock prior to this game that made a story in the Reading Post. I was gonna bid on those in the auction.
Last edited by BenReadingFC on 07 Sep 2012 01:22, edited 1 time in total.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 07 Sep 2012 01:19

Upper West Ginger I had managed to blank the Rodgers era from my memory.

Look at it this way. Without Rodgers, there would be no Maccy D....Then what?

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 07 Sep 2012 01:31

After the Wolves away Playoff game, We were walking on the dual carriageway road back towards the car parked near the railway station (It was empty so shut possibly). Suddenly about 30 or so blokes ran out of a pub in a mob and legged it towards us armed with tools. Me and a friend had to drag my old man over the dual carriageway railings to escape before the Po Po screamed up in numbers and gave them a good truncheoning. Police helicopter overhead. :D

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 07 Sep 2012 01:45

BenReadingFC
Upper West Ginger I had managed to blank the Rodgers era from my memory.

Look at it this way. Without Rodgers, there would be no Maccy D....Then what?

:D My apologies Upper West Ginger. You're right, it's best forgotten. Makes you appreciate the good times we are having now though, when you compare it back.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 07 Sep 2012 23:21

southstand67 [quote="SydenhamRoyal" Or Wokingham vs Cardiff in the FA Cup 1st Round about 1981, Wokingham were winning 1-0 with less than 10 minutes to go when the Cardiff fans rioted, which was pretty scary. Game stopped for about half an hour or so, then restarted and needless to say Cardiff equalised and won the replay.

Nah that was about 1978, the thought of Cardiff going to Wokingham. Bunch of animals...

Just been checking - Nov 82

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 08 Sep 2012 08:38

The worst ground experience was probably Cambridge in about 2001, utter dross of a ground and the food available was basically some bacon in rapidly disintegrating bread.

Wembley was a horrible feeling though I was too young to really appreciate it. Cardiff and Wembley v2.0 also wrangle but I've never felt as low as I did sitting watching the last 30 minutes of the Burnley semi-final. That night you really got the feeling that an era had come to an end and I wondered if I'd ever see Reading get promoted again.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 08 Sep 2012 09:28

Wimb The worst ground experience was probably Cambridge in about 2001, utter dross of a ground and the food available was basically some bacon in rapidly disintegrating bread.

Wembley was a horrible feeling though I was too young to really appreciate it. Cardiff and Wembley v2.0 also wrangle but I've never felt as low as I did sitting watching the last 30 minutes of the Burnley semi-final. That night you really got the feeling that an era had come to an end and I wondered if I'd ever see Reading get promoted again.

Was that the Kitson, 'sneaky, behind the back one finger salute,' game? I think we drew 2-2 and had been racially abusing him.

royal67

by royal67 » 08 Sep 2012 09:38

The two away matches against Oxford I attended years back were horrific. The Kassam is a shit hole full of retarded sub human trolls.....

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 08 Sep 2012 10:37

royal67 The two away matches against Oxford I attended years back were horrific. The Kassam is a shit hole full of retarded sub human trolls.....

That not a very nice way to describe your fellow Reading fans :wink:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 08 Sep 2012 11:03

Once were Biscuitmen
Wimb The worst ground experience was probably Cambridge in about 2001, utter dross of a ground and the food available was basically some bacon in rapidly disintegrating bread.

Was that the Kitson, 'sneaky, behind the back one finger salute,' game? I think we drew 2-2 and had been racially abusing him.

Seem to remember it being 1-1, with Matt Robinson getting a red card, think Pardew brought on Rougier then subbed him off again :lol:

RIP apes

by RIP apes » 08 Sep 2012 12:32

southstand67 [quote="SydenhamRoyal" Or Wokingham vs Cardiff in the FA Cup 1st Round about 1981, Wokingham were winning 1-0 with less than 10 minutes to go when the Cardiff fans rioted, which was pretty scary. Game stopped for about half an hour or so, then restarted and needless to say Cardiff equalised and won the replay.

Nah that was about 1978, the thought of Cardiff going to Wokingham. Bunch of animals...

My mate was one of the riot coppers when Swansea ran riot in 92 (or was it 93?). 17 coppers ran them out of the ground, he remembers his sergeant issuing him with a long baton telling him to go for arms and legs only. First thing he sees his sergeant do? Hits a Swansea Jack over his head with it and he drops like a sack of spuds..... Swansea weren't so gobby after that apparently[/quote]
Is that the one with the video on YouTube. Some bloke gets on the kitchen, copper kidney punches him a lot when he's down

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 08 Sep 2012 12:39

Once were Biscuitmen

This match? http://www.royals.org/matdoc/020302.html

double d

by double d » 08 Sep 2012 13:26

getting thrown out

tink

by tink » 08 Sep 2012 13:54

Gillingham away in about 2005? It was on New Year's Day and I was living in Canterbury at the time, so it was my most local game. Was feeling a little worse for wear, but dragged myself to the train station, only to miss the train. Walked 30 minutes back to my house, where one of my mates decided at 2.30pm we could probably just about make kick off if we drove, so we bombed along the M2 at about a ton. Made it to the ground at about 3.15 and then stood in the freezing sleet, rain and snow to watch us draw 0-0. Legitimate goal disallowed in the final minute. Highlight was watching a carrier bag get blown around the penalty area, big cheers went the wind blew the bag in the goal.

And Cardiff Play-Off Final is up there. Absolutely gutted to lose that one. Felt like we would be stuck in the lower leagues for the rest of time. No-one said a word in the car all the way home, until our driver turned off at J13 for Newbury (where we lived) and then straight back onto the M4 and we had to continue all the way to Reading. I think I may have uttered the words "you oxf*rd oxf*rd" and then we returned to silence.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 08 Sep 2012 14:14

I think this game may have the last time I heard overt racism at a Reading game. Some bloke leaning on the wall at the front opened with a "break the black bastard's legs" comment to some muttered derision from the travelling support. Undeterred, he upped the anti with some general "oi, nigger...." abuse directed at the Cambridge winger. Rather wonderfully, the mass of Reading fans completely turned on him roaring their disapproval with several going off to find the police. The fella was nicked and carted out to cheers of approval. He looked bemused. As if he'd expected to get backing from us.

Philly Flyer

by Philly Flyer » 08 Sep 2012 14:33

Picking out only home games at the Madejski how about Walsall in the 3rd round of the FA Cup in Jan 2003? Tuesday night replay..miserable cold weather. We were seriously crap; the worst I've seen. Think only about 8,000 at the match. Went into extra time at 1-1 after they scored an own goal to equalise and we eventually lost 4-1 on penalties. Butler and Harper both missed. Took a bunch of mates promising them decent football and a curry afterwards; neither happened due to the 10:45 ish finish and it being mid week. Only good thing from the evening: one of the guys I came with did sign up as a STH and has had a blast since.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 08 Sep 2012 17:25

Upper West Ginger
Once were Biscuitmen

This match? http://www.royals.org/matdoc/020302.html

Yes! Thats the one, looks like I was a year out.

I always quite enjoyed Cambridge, friendly fans, terracing and a great source of playerss.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Sep 2012 21:01

I wouldn't call it a "bad matchday experience" but I remember that Wolves Play-Off Semi Final 2nd leg in 2003. Possibly the most my stomach sank when a goal went in, ever.

157 posts