Adam le Fondre - proving many wrong

145 posts
royalsroyalsroyals92

Adam le Fondre - proving many wrong

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 16 Sep 2012 22:40

Even though he was only on for one half today, i really think his play showed great improvements from last season. He may not have scored but he was linking play well and his cross for HRK was just spectacular. I think he probably has the potential to be this seasons Grant Holt in the way he's come through the lower league's and fits in right at home in the prem.
i only managed to see the second half (was working till 5) but does anyone else think he made a good enough difference. opinions?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Adam le Fondre - proving many wrong

by cmonurz » 16 Sep 2012 22:41

Le Fondre did do well today - he's always run around a lot, but they were the right runs today, albeit only getting on the end of countless 'direct' passes.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2012 23:06

He's looked class this season to me.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 16 Sep 2012 23:44

One of the few players to show some composure on the ball.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 16 Sep 2012 23:48

Always said that his problem is that he's so good linking play that he's rarely in the box to finish off the chances. Thought he wouldn't get the time and space in the Prem but he's proved me wrong so far.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 17 Sep 2012 00:20

He looked sharp when he came on but a long way to go if he is going to prove he is good enough for this level.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 17 Sep 2012 00:27

I think he will do well..looks determined and confident. And why not, he's proved championship goals are the same size as league already...

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 17 Sep 2012 00:34

Z175 , he's proved championship goals are the same size as league already...

Just hope that Prem defenders are no better than Chump defenders.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 17 Sep 2012 11:56

I'd agree he has been one of very few who has been a danger to the opposition defence when hes come on. I don't think this 4-5-1 formation is going to work very well for us if we stick to it. This is purely because every time we put a ball in the box there is no one there simply because Pog is coming deep for the ball. Think there was one chance yesterday where it was put in a dangerous area and no one was there.

Le Fondre has done something productive every time he has been involved and I think providing we go 4-4-2 he should be starting alongside Pog the next game.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Sep 2012 12:06

ALF is class and a true predator, a rarity in any team. Even his link up play has looked quality. I'm not a fan of the 1 up front policy, I think it has a negative effect. Hope he starts next game.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Sep 2012 12:13

I don't think he's proved anything yet this season.

He looked decent enough yesterday, and created a goal with what was probably a slightly overhit cross that Robson-Kanu did well to reach on the stretch (I'm sure Le Fondre would admit he was chipping it up to be headed in at the far post), but against Stoke (and again at times yesterday) he took too long to pick the wrong decision and didn't do a great deal with the possession he got.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 17 Sep 2012 12:15

I'm a big fan of Le Fondre - watched a bit of Rochdale while I was at Uni and he was exceptional at that level. He'll score goals at any level given a few yards free in the penalty box and I'm delighted he's 'proving people wrong'. As mentioned in another thread I think the reason he stood out yesterday (and against Stoke) is that he's coming on with raw enthusiasm and not showing the Premiership defenders any respect. He's not afraid to hassle them and take the knocks or chase down lost causes. Yesterday our so-called more experienced players gave the Spurs players so much respect that they almost had the freedom of the pitch. Le Fondre didn't do that and it showed, eventually resulting in his opportunity to set up the goal.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Sep 2012 12:18

One up front has only really worked for us when that one was Forster. It takes a particular type of team to make that work and he had the type of skills to run the line that way. It helped that he was like poo off a hot shovel and very strong in possession. It also helped that he had a quick midfield that could get up to help. Spurs had Defoe doing the one man up front game to start yesterday, and he also had a midfiled (in Gyllfi, Dembele and Bale) who were not shabby at making up the ground to support him.

We needed Alf on the pitch in the first half when we did carve a couple of openings and a predator would have been there to take advantage of them. I recall one occasion when Pog got a shot off from the LH side and it deflected back across the penalty area in empty space. There was also a situation where Gorks headed back across the area into a clear space where an Alf type would have been expected to be loitering.

Alfs touch yesterday showed that he has the class, we need to exploit him.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 17 Sep 2012 12:22

Ian Royal He's looked class this season to me.

You've seen one game, and that was on TV.

You have zero cerdibility on here.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 17 Sep 2012 12:32

All this proving wrong is a bit like 'Alf is a great lad and I really want him to be successful so if I keep telling myself he is I will believe it' syndrome.

No goals from open play so far, albeit we have only played 3 league games so far. He has proved nothing to date about his ability to perform in the Prem except for "looking a bit lively." let's wait until we have played at least 10 games before we crown him the next Shearer or Lineker.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Sep 2012 12:41

the bloke ouzes class, the best player at the club for me, and could well be the difference between relegation and survival.

i don't think he has proved anybody wrong as it was perfectly obvious last season he should have been playing week in week out, and most people knew that.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Sep 2012 12:47

Croydon Royal ...As mentioned in another thread I think the reason he stood out yesterday (and against Stoke)....

The only thing he stood out for against Stoke was being a bit overawed and out of his depth. He consistently took the wrong decision or needed too much time or too many touches which resulted in the better quality of defenders easily snuffing him out.

I think he may well come good, but he looked like a player who was playing in the lower leagues 12 months ago against Stoke.

Croydon Royal ...he's coming on with raw enthusiasm and not showing the Premiership defenders any respect. He's not afraid to hassle them and take the knocks or chase down lost causes. Yesterday our so-called more experienced players gave the Spurs players so much respect that they almost had the freedom of the pitch. Le Fondre didn't do that and it showed, eventually resulting in his opportunity to set up the goal.

Agree with that part of your quote. I think yesterday he was the only one to really concentrate on his game as opposed to what the opposition could do. As a result we were, as I think McDermott put it, far too passive and were really just making up the numbers for the most part of the game.

Le Fondre looked like he had a point to prove and something to play for. The rest just looked like they were scared to do anything to really put Spurs out of their stride.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Sep 2012 12:47

Big Ern All this proving wrong is a bit like 'Alf is a great lad and I really want him to be successful so if I keep telling myself he is I will believe it' syndrome.

No goals from open play so far, albeit we have only played 3 league games so far. He has proved nothing to date about his ability to perform in the Prem except for "looking a bit lively." let's wait until we have played at least 10 games before we crown him the next Shearer or Lineker.

Agreed 100%.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Sep 2012 13:54

best player on teh park yesterday, though thats not saying alot, and it may have also been to do with the change in formation

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Sep 2012 15:08

melonhead best player on teh park yesterday, though thats not saying alot, and it may have also been to do with the change in formation

In the running for Best Reading Player on the Park, but not the best overall.

145 posts