244 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: West Brom (A) Match Thread - Sponsored by Boing, Boing

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Sep 2012 17:01

Stuboo
Royal Ginger DOOOOOOM! etc etc

:lol:

It was a vast improvement on the Tottenham game and there are positves to take from it. Shorey seemed to be an improvement on Harte defensively, McCarthy had a good game, McCannuff at right back seemed to work OK as an option, midfield partnership of Leighterwood and McCleary improved as the game went on, we did create some chances, etc.

Our passing needs to improve though, and it did through the game. Also, our free kicks are nowhere near the quality and consistancy they were at last year - this can be improved. We didn't create too many chances, but we were getting more people into the box when we attacked, which was good. I'm confident we'll be back with some goals in the next game and that the improvements in our defence will help us.

That's probably the best assessment. The only thing I'd add is that monthly break did more damage than we imagined as well. We just need a few 'clicks' and the points will start coming.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 22 Sep 2012 17:03

The Reading way got us relegated last time we were in this league. The Reading way is a naive way and we'll be punished for thinking that a group of Championship players who played out of their skin last season will keep us up this season. Missed our chance in the transfer window and fine, give me a bashing if you don't agree. Love the club, respect the players for the effort but the Reading way needs a change of direction if we are to stay up this season.

What it boils down to is this, and others on here have said it before. We're away from home, losing 1-0 and you look to our subs bench for a player to come on and change the game. Hunt? No. Church? No. HRK? No. Time to smell the coffee. Lets just hope we can scrap for points until January to keep ourselves in contention.

Some on here will say "but we're slow starters". Bare in mind that we don't have so many games to make up the points in this league. Can't afford to have a poor start.

And yes, I hope I'm proved wrong (I really hope I am) but realistically and without hiding behind blinkered views and rose tinted glasses, I can't see that happening. Seen it before and would have hoped JM would have advised Anton on his previous mistake last time around for not investing.
Last edited by robinsfriday on 22 Sep 2012 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 Sep 2012 17:04

Guthrie was f/cking dreadful.

New owners giving it the big one, yet we are still the tramp rummaging around the bins out the back while everyone else is in the shop. Reading know best? They table would argue otherwise.

Gash.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 22 Sep 2012 17:05

robinsfriday The Reading way got us relegated last time we were in this league. The Reading way is a naive way and we'll be punished for thinking that a group of Championship players who played out of their skin last season will keep us up this season. Missed our chance in the transfer window and fine, give me a bashing if you don't agree. Love the club, respect the players for the effort but the Reading way needs a change of direction if we are to stay up this season.

What it boils down to is this, and others on here have said it before. We're away from home, losing 1-0 and you look to our subs bench for a player to come on and change the game. Hunt? No. Church? No. HRK? No. Time to smell the coffee. Lets just hope we can scrap for points until January to keep ourselves in contention.

And yes, I hope I'm proved wrong (I really hope I am) but realistically and without hiding behind blinkered views and rose tinted glasses, I can't see that happening. Seen it before and would have hoped JM would have advised Anton on his previous mistake last time around for not investing.

This

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 22 Sep 2012 17:05

We need points fast. Momentum works both ways and I'm concerned that once we get into a negative spiral, it's hard to get out of it.

Also, i suspect our new paymasters are not going to benignly let their asset depreciate and BM will start feeling the heat. We are 3 players and a change in formation short of holding our own

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Sep 2012 17:07

ManchesterRoyals
robinsfriday The Reading way got us relegated last time we were in this league. The Reading way is a naive way and we'll be punished for thinking that a group of Championship players who played out of their skin last season will keep us up this season. Missed our chance in the transfer window and fine, give me a bashing if you don't agree. Love the club, respect the players for the effort but the Reading way needs a change of direction if we are to stay up this season.

This

harsh on HRK - he could have had 2 in 2 from the bench...(obviously "could" doesn't get us points)

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 22 Sep 2012 17:08

The problem is not investment as the money is there now its the reading way of playing. We're a team of hard workers, who are good at carrying out the mangers tactics and will literally die for each other. But ultimately we have very little quality and cannot pass the ball to save our lives. When we were in the prem last time we got away with it the first year and then got found out the next. I fear that this time round our style will be our undoing again and if so, we're going to have to start over and drastically get with the times.
look at watford, wolves and derby, they were all hard working, teams and either got relegated badly or are constantly hopping between the champ and prem.

HRK btw has done alright when he's come on but on paper I would agree.
Last edited by Plymouth_Royal on 22 Sep 2012 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 22 Sep 2012 17:10

Plymouth_Royal We're a team of hard workers who will literally die for each other

I doubt it.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 22 Sep 2012 17:11

Simon's Church
Plymouth_Royal We're a team of hard workers who will literally die for each other

I doubt it.

come on figure of speech

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 22 Sep 2012 17:11

this slow-starters argument is total horseshit btw

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 22 Sep 2012 17:12

Some on here will say "but we're slow starters". Bare in mind that we don't have so many games to make up the points in this league. Can't afford to have a poor start.

Spot on.

WBA had a subs bench that would all either be in contention or walk into out first team. When Long came on he created the chance from which they scored by, none of our subs made an impact.

It is easy to go all negative, however apart from Chelsea away, we have not looked good enough and we serverely lack quality offensively while our lack of pace at the back makes us very vulnerable.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 22 Sep 2012 17:13

Extended-Phenotype Guthrie was f/cking dreadful.

We would have been absolutely dreadful without Guthrie. One of the few with composed distribution and useful crosses in the air. Don't personally love his whole 'aura', but can't imagine how we'd have looked without him.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 22 Sep 2012 17:14

Wish we had a player like Long still who can hold his own against big defenders like Vertonghen, Shawcross and McCauley, its getting embarrassing watching our strikers fall over every time they're under any pressure.

It was definitely an improvement but I haven't been that frustrated watching us for a long time

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 22 Sep 2012 17:16

"The problem is not investment as the money is there now its the reading way of playing"

If thats the case why didnt we buy more quality in the transfer window?

Reading always have been as tight as arse holes when it comes to transfers and wages, this is the prem if u wanna be in it u got to spend simple as but for some reason Reading Fc dont grasp this and are not willing to spend

larry1971

by larry1971 » 22 Sep 2012 17:21

ManchesterRoyals "The problem is not investment as the money is there now its the reading way of playing"

If thats the case why didnt we buy more quality in the transfer window?

Reading always have been as tight as arse holes when it comes to transfers and wages, this is the prem if u wanna be in it u got to spend simple as but for some reason Reading Fc dont grasp this and are not willing to spend

neither Swansea or Norwich really spent big amounts of money when they won promotion - yet they adapted pretty quickly to the Premiership so you don't really need to spend big to stay up .

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 22 Sep 2012 17:22

LUKAKU

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Sep 2012 17:24

To stay at this level large amonuts of money had to be invested in the squad up front. Then over time we develop players through our academy and look for lower league "finds". As much as I love the guys on this team, and they have hearts the size of all of Europe, we just don't have enough quality right now to compete at this level, no matter how hard we work, from what I have seen in the first 4 games, and especially the last 2 games. Our quality in the final third the last 2 games has been shockingly poor. And if we are deeply mired at the foot of the table come January it'll be almost impossible to get players to come in who we'll need. I am really not negative, we'll get points at some point (just how many?), I am just being a realist. I am trying but tbf I find very little to be positive about right now. Reality bites right now...

:|

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 22 Sep 2012 17:26

No Fixed Abode LUKAKU

what's he done? :P

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 22 Sep 2012 17:28

No Fixed Abode LUKAKU

Not bad for a Seasons loan i would have taken him here

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 22 Sep 2012 17:28

Ideal
larry1971 neither Swansea or Norwich really spent big amounts of money when they won promotion - yet they adapted pretty quickly to the Premiership so you don't really need to spend big to stay up .

Yes, but our team succeeded due to team ethic and hard work, they basicly overperformed.
So now when we step up a division, a lot of them are a bit out of their depth.

To be fair, you could definitely say the same for Norwich but they somehow managed to keep the momentum going.

244 posts