How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by winchester_royal » 21 Oct 2012 21:55

robinsfriday
Hoop Blah If I were McDermott I would be looking over my shoulder a little after the way we've started.

It's not just the results, and it's not just the performances, but it's the lack of improvement the new signings have made to the side and the general lack of attacking intent/ability we've shown.

Right now this side looks way out of it's depth. We're playing football that was functional in the Championship. It fed of putting teams under pressure and preying on their mistakes. That just isn't really good enough for the Championship usually, let alone the step up to the Premier League. We brought in a couple of good players over the summer which looked like they'd signal a change in style. Instead we're playing them as square pegs in round holes in a style that doesn't suit them. For me it feels like poor management at the moment.

I like McDermott, but there's always been a nagging doubt that he was good with limited players, players he knew and were comfortable with him. The biggest test was going to be building a side with so called 'bigger name players' and the ego's and different challenges that presents.

I'm certainly not giving up on McDermott yet, or calling for his head by a long way, but he does need to prove himself now and get this squad of average players performing much better than they have been.

Absolutely spot on. Highlighted is all we need to know. We had our window and we missed our chance. After Pog & Guthrie we kept waiting, waiting for a few more players of that quality but it never happened. And of all the new players we signed, the large percentage aren't getting a game. What does that say?

Indeed.

Almost ridiculous to think now that half of what we spent on transfers was on a RB that doesn't even play.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 21 Oct 2012 22:49

Now I have calmed down I aim to be more rational in views!

We were lucky to get promoted last year and its shocking that McDermott thought he had enough quality to mount a survival bid. We can make as many excuses as we like about offsides, handballs, extended breaks and keeper cock ups; the fact is we are not good enough.

We can't make more than 10 passes which is just embarrassing and very worrying.

What really gets my on wick though, is last time we were in the EPL we failed to spend and got relegated. We are doing the same thing again; only this time the league is stronger and we are shitter.

The club is full of shit and its just laughable some of the things that they come out with. All I see at the moment is a crappy family club with ridiculous shit that is Queensley

Nigel Howe in 2007 saying we can be bigger than Arsenal and currently AZ saying we can be a top 10 team

They are completed deluded if they think we can be anywhere near those heights without spending or the intent of spending.

AZ saying we were negotiating with International players was ridiculous as well. How come we had to settle for crappy frees whom are nowhere near the level of an international player.

I would rather they came out and said something like, we got promoted too early, we aim to be cautious in the first year because the foundations are currently not in place.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 21 Oct 2012 23:51

Southampton spent £30m plus in the transfer window...can't see them blazing a trail currently either ....

....BM said that all the players he wanted , he got...so he's made the bed.....

If we are where we are now come January...doesn't matter how much money is thrown at it.....quality players aren't going to sign for a club thats in the favourites pot for relegation .....

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Oct 2012 00:00

Royal91 Now I have calmed down I aim to be more rational in views!

We were lucky to get promoted last year and its shocking that McDermott thought he had enough quality to mount a survival bid. We can make as many excuses as we like about offsides, handballs, extended breaks and keeper cock ups; the fact is we are not good enough.

We can't make more than 10 passes which is just embarrassing and very worrying.

What really gets my on wick though, is last time we were in the EPL we failed to spend and got relegated. We are doing the same thing again; only this time the league is stronger and we are shitter.

The club is full of shit and its just laughable some of the things that they come out with. All I see at the moment is a crappy family club with ridiculous shit that is Queensley

Nigel Howe in 2007 saying we can be bigger than Arsenal and currently AZ saying we can be a top 10 team

They are completed deluded if they think we can be anywhere near those heights without spending or the intent of spending.

AZ saying we were negotiating with International players was ridiculous as well. How come we had to settle for crappy frees whom are nowhere near the level of an international player.

I would rather they came out and said something like, we got promoted too early, we aim to be cautious in the first year because the foundations are currently not in place.

yes, let's say we shouldn't be here and have zero expectations.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Oct 2012 02:21

North Somerset Royal
Woodcote Royal My contention regarding Coppell is with those who deem him largely blameless for our relegation. Coppell was brilliant at building cheap young sides but his downfall (at Palace as well as here) was in refusing to break up those teams when the time was right.

I think both Pardew and Brian are better managers but the latter needs to establish himself in the top flight to prove the point. Having said that, even if we are relegated this season, I would still see 2007/8 as the bigger failure.................................the squad that finished the previous season would not have been relegated 12 months later under better management.

What absolute bollocks. McD &pardew added together haven't got half the tactical nous of Sir Steve

That would explain Coppell's exceptional record in the top flight and Pardew's 8 year contract at Newcastle.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 22 Oct 2012 07:00

Woodcote Royal
Schards#2
Woodcote Royal I'm guessing most of those who believe McDermott's days here are numbered also never gave us a prayer of being promoted this time last year, and even in October, see nothing beyond relegation in this campaign.

Part of the Reading way is ignoring East Stand doom mongers.

If Reading do go down, would you accept that Coppell is the better manager?

Have to say, you have been proven spot on with McCarthy/Federici btw

My contention regarding Coppell is with those who deem him largely blameless for our relegation. Coppell was brilliant at building cheap young sides but his downfall (at Palace as well as here) was in refusing to break up those teams when the time was right.

I think both Pardew and Brian are better managers but the latter needs to establish himself in the top flight to prove the point. Having said that, even if we are relegated this season, I would still see 2007/8 as the bigger failure.................................the squad that finished the previous season would not have been relegated 12 months later under better management.

agreed - I've never understood why some fans seem to think Coppell was blameless for our relegation in the December / January period of that season, ca'nt remember the exact stats but we lost somethng like 10 league games in a row failing to score in the majority of those games everybody except Coppell could see the team desperatly needed strengthening but hee refussed to do it.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Oct 2012 07:21

Brain has the look of a dead man walking at the moment.

He will have heard the whispers like the rest of us, and he will understand that TSI have a rare opportunity to secure the services of a manager of Redknapp's status if they act soon.

under the tin

by under the tin » 22 Oct 2012 09:28

DOYLERSAROYALER Southampton spent £30m plus in the transfer window...can't see them blazing a trail currently either ....

....BM said that all the players he wanted , he got...so he's made the bed.....

If we are where we are now come January...doesn't matter how much money is thrown at it.....quality players aren't going to sign for a club thats in the favourites pot for relegation .....

/\/\
Very true

Avon Royal Brain has the look of a dead man walking at the moment.

He will have heard the whispers like the rest of us, and he will understand that TSI have a rare opportunity to secure the services of a manager of Redknapp's status if they act soon.

And this could be the catalyst.

Sir John did not hang about when he decided that Rodgers wasn't going to deliver.
We have a new owners now, and they could well be thinking along the lines that a higher profile manager could be a useful recruitment tool, should we target higher profile acquisitions in January.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 22 Oct 2012 09:37

I just don't understant this notion that MCD is un-sackable - why?

He built this team and bough 6 new players in the summer so results this season will be purely down to him. He also said he got every player he wanted.

I hope he turns this around however with his style of play I just can't see it.

If we lose at home to Fulham the knives might start to sharpen IMO.

bassavage

by bassavage » 22 Oct 2012 10:30

Lacoste I just don't understant this notion that MCD is un-sackable - why?

He built this team and bough 6 new players in the summer so results this season will be purely down to him. He also said he got every player he wanted.

Utter tosh. Simple fact of this season is that we finish above 3 out of the other 19 teams this season. We haven't won a game yet and we are still above one. We will improve, we always have under McD.

We could win on Saturday and be 15th with a game in hand on pretty much everyone. How many would have taken that 8 games in?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 22 Oct 2012 10:50

bassavage
Lacoste I just don't understant this notion that MCD is un-sackable - why?

Utter tosh. Simple fact of this season is that we finish above 3 out of the other 19 teams this season. We haven't won a game yet and we are still above one. We will improve, we always have under McD.

We could win on Saturday and be 15th with a game in hand on pretty much everyone. How many would have taken that 8 games in?

I might win the lottery on Saturday - how many woulf have taken that this far in?

matthewroyal

by matthewroyal » 22 Oct 2012 10:59

I think mcdermott is a great manager who really gets everything out of the squad we have. As many hav epoitned out, the squad itself just isn't quality premier league material. Having said that, Mcdermott's insistence on always playing attacking football isn't always going to work against bigger teams, who will catch us on the break when we lose possession in midfield after we've pushed so many players up. I feel he needs to be given a bit more time, see how he does against Southampton away, and norwich at home. Around December is the time to think about a change if there's no change to our position

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 22 Oct 2012 11:06

I wonder if BM would stand aside should he be asked to. I dont want him to leave, but we need to do something if he cant keep us here. Redknapp is the best man in doing this, and given Anton's injections he could build us a really good team

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Oct 2012 11:14

Redknapp, assuming he wanted to come here and assuming Anton would give him the money he wants, would still find it hard to attract quality players due to where we were in the league - those that did come and for whom we were paying hugely inflated prices for, would only be coming for the money and we'd end up with a bunch of prima donnas signed by him and a lot of unhappy players already here. So no thanks.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 22 Oct 2012 11:22

Its not great and we deserve to be where we are, lets not forget that Brian although a good manager doesn't have bags of experience managing a team.

They are building that team up, it is "the bigger picture though" even though we may get relegated the parachute payments will add to the strength and depth. It is about building it all up and it doesn't mean getting relegated at the first attempt is doom and gloom. Anton will see numbers and we will have made a lot of money this year, that money will help stregthen the club and build it up.

As someone said Southampton spent a fortune they aren't doing much better.

I f*cking hate wet sham though. Bunch of pcunts

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 22 Oct 2012 11:34

Reading4eva I wonder if BM would stand aside should he be asked to. I dont want him to leave, but we need to do something if he cant keep us here. Redknapp is the best man in doing this, and given Anton's injections he could build us a really good team

I think Redknapp is nailed on for Southampton ...Atkins is a dead man walking..Cortese has his twitchy finger on the button already to get shot of Atkins....

It's an ideal role for Redknapp given where he lives, and also that it's unlikely that any of the top 6/8 Prem clubs are going to jettison their manager in the foreseeable future..IMHO

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 22 Oct 2012 11:38

Someone just create a poll so not everyone had to read through pages of drivvle.

Poll please!!

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 22 Oct 2012 11:56

DOYLERSAROYALER
Reading4eva I wonder if BM would stand aside should he be asked to. I dont want him to leave, but we need to do something if he cant keep us here. Redknapp is the best man in doing this, and given Anton's injections he could build us a really good team

I think Redknapp is nailed on for Southampton ...Atkins is a dead man walking..Cortese has his twitchy finger on the button already to get shot of Atkins....

It's an ideal role for Redknapp given where he lives, and also that it's unlikely that any of the top 6/8 Prem clubs are going to jettison their manager in the foreseeable future..IMHO

Do you honesly think Harry would go back to Southampton or they would want him back?

Too much history. Wouldn't want him at our club either.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 22 Oct 2012 11:58

Lacoste
DOYLERSAROYALER

Do you honesly think Harry would go back to Southampton or they would want him back?

Too much history. Wouldn't want him at our club either.

Given their position, they'd have him back...short memory syndrome

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 22 Oct 2012 12:11

No, they wouldn't

3209 posts