How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Dec 2012 03:29

Spot on.

That was our best performance against Swansea in recent seasons and McDermott deserves a lot of praise for his tactics today. Rather than trying to beat them with our own brand of attacking football and invariably coming a poor second, we stopped them playing and, slowly but surely, got the better of a superior team.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 27 Dec 2012 08:26

Woodcote Royal McDermott deserves a lot of praise for his tactics today.

Yeah, loads of praise for finally doing what people have been telling him to do for months...........

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 Dec 2012 08:33

Mcdermott to forest?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Dec 2012 09:06

Just lol at people suggesting a former scout doesn't do his homework. Do you people actually read back your posts? You get more ridiculous by the week. As for him doing what you've ''been calling for for weeks'' you all screamed blue murder earlier in the season
when he played 451 and called for 442 as it was ''what we're good at''. Listen to you? I bloody well hope not.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Dec 2012 11:00

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 27 Dec 2012 11:10

Harpers So Solid Crew Mcdermott to forest?

The Forest owners handed a list of players they wanted to SO'D, which he told them to shove, and then he finds himself out of a job. That is exactly the sort of job BM would never take.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Dec 2012 11:10

sandman Just lol at people suggesting a former scout doesn't do his homework. Do you people actually read back your posts? You get more ridiculous by the week. As for him doing what you've ''been calling for for weeks'' you all screamed blue murder earlier in the season
when he played 451 and called for 442 as it was ''what we're good at''. Listen to you? I bloody well hope not.

100% truth.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 27 Dec 2012 11:25

Aslong as Brian sticks with 451 and adds some midfielders to help with it in Jan. I am fully behind him

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 27 Dec 2012 12:19

Maguire
sandman Just lol at people suggesting a former scout doesn't do his homework. Do you people actually read back your posts? You get more ridiculous by the week. As for him doing what you've ''been calling for for weeks'' you all screamed blue murder earlier in the season

100% truth.

Ironic that sandman suggests we should read back our posts, and then makes an inaccurate generalisation about 'all of us'.

Many on here have been advocating for most of the season approaching games with a few strategies in mind, including where it might be beneficial to us, adopting a 451.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2012 12:29

Just one comment on 4-5-1.
We played it yesterday as another poster said more like 9-0-1.
Chelsea play a version of 4-5-1 but the difference there (apart from far superior players) is that amongst the 5 there are always 2 or 3 bombing forward to support the one.
Brian always says that our players work hard and it's true that they often run about a lot but yesterday Jimmy and Jobi hardly broke sweat and Ledge strolled aimlessly around in midfield and it was left to Guthrie and Jem to defend and attack (neither renowned for scoring goals).
Ours is the worst version of 4-5-1 where Pog is isolated and is expected to knock balls on to himself (maybe that is why he is paid twice as much as anybody else :wink: )

As Woodcote posted earlier we have to WIN matches and probably nearly half of the remaining games-we won't do it playing 9-0-1 but we could give ourselves some chance by playing a more attacking 4-5-1.
As for Brian I felt that if we lost to Swansea and West Ham and then tonked by Spurs he would be sacked-if we draw v West Ham it will be the kind of worst worlds,i.e not bad enough to be sacked butnot good enough to get 6 points.
I do think we could do with a fresh look at everything and as Hoop Blah said,it shouldn't have taken this long (out of desperation) to change things around and his Churchillian stance frankly sounds more like a dead man walking than Mr Motivator.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 27 Dec 2012 12:57

Victor Meldrew Just one comment on 4-5-1.
We played it yesterday as another poster said more like 9-0-1.
Chelsea play a version of 4-5-1 but the difference there (apart from far superior players) is that amongst the 5 there are always 2 or 3 bombing forward to support the one.
Brian always says that our players work hard and it's true that they often run about a lot but yesterday Jimmy and Jobi hardly broke sweat and Ledge strolled aimlessly around in midfield and it was left to Guthrie and Jem to defend and attack (neither renowned for scoring goals).
Ours is the worst version of 4-5-1 where Pog is isolated and is expected to knock balls on to himself (maybe that is why he is paid twice as much as anybody else :wink: )

As Woodcote posted earlier we have to WIN matches and probably nearly half of the remaining games-we won't do it playing 9-0-1 but we could give ourselves some chance by playing a more attacking 4-5-1.
As for Brian I felt that if we lost to Swansea and West Ham and then tonked by Spurs he would be sacked-if we draw v West Ham it will be the kind of worst worlds,i.e not bad enough to be sacked butnot good enough to get 6 points.
I do think we could do with a fresh look at everything and as Hoop Blah said,it shouldn't have taken this long (out of desperation) to change things around and his Churchillian stance frankly sounds more like a dead man walking than Mr Motivator.

I would take the switch to this formation as 'one thing at a time'. If we can begin to build from a formation in which we are hard to beat and score against we can make progress. Gradually adding quality and getting players used to their roles and responsibilities in this set up. All the time we were being carved apart at will we could make no progress of any nature.

If I am seeing signs that McDermott has learnt the lessons of the past few months then it makes sense for us to retain him so we derive the benefit of those lessons learnt in the future.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Dec 2012 13:33

The Beardy Man If I am seeing signs that McDermott has learnt the lessons of the past few months then it makes sense for us to retain him so we derive the benefit of those lessons learnt in the future.

This ^^^

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Dec 2012 15:17

Indeed - he has been in difficult situations each and every season so far and has always adapted and ultimately (pretty much) succeeded.

He deserves (and is being given) the chance to do so again. Making us difficult to beat is a good starting point.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 27 Dec 2012 16:34

sandman Just lol at people suggesting a former scout doesn't do his homework.

That will explain his tactical genius, propelling us up the table.

And as for his handling of the Pearce and Guthrie situations - absolutely first class. Bravo Brian, bravo. :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2012 16:38

Hoop Blah Although today is a minor success for McDermott, and a rare one he needs to cling onto this season, for me it highlights some of his mistakes this season. Today we saw how we can be resilient and tough to create chances against with this squad of players. Too many times this season that hasn't been the case, especially when defending those leading positions that have proven to cost us so dearly so far.

Having Karacan back must've helped of course, but I hope this is a lesson learned for McDermott.

Thoroughly agree, and for my money there's never been a great deal of difference between Karacan and Tabb* so I don't think his return has made the system we've just gone to much more viable than with Tabb and I think Tabb is unlucky to have been dropped.

*One's a bit calmer and stronger, the other's a bit quicker and a bit more likely to score.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 27 Dec 2012 17:57

Ian Royal
Hoop Blah Although today is a minor success for McDermott, and a rare one he needs to cling onto this season, for me it highlights some of his mistakes this season. Today we saw how we can be resilient and tough to create chances against with this squad of players. Too many times this season that hasn't been the case, especially when defending those leading positions that have proven to cost us so dearly so far.

Having Karacan back must've helped of course, but I hope this is a lesson learned for McDermott.

Thoroughly agree, and for my money there's never been a great deal of difference between Karacan and Tabb* so I don't think his return has made the system we've just gone to much more viable than with Tabb and I think Tabb is unlucky to have been dropped.

*One's a bit calmer and stronger, the other's a bit quicker and a bit more likely to score.

You dont see much difference between Tabb and Karacan. :roll:

Karacan does everything Tabb does, but better, and will also pop up with the odd goal

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Dec 2012 17:22

That win will have secured his job for the transfer window. Although I am firmly in the 'Brian out' camp if he is given the transfer window to sort it out we have no choice but to stick with him and he deserves our support as there is no point changing the manager if he can't do anything about the plating staff.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 29 Dec 2012 17:31

apparently AZ said that funds have been made available for the transfer window. i believe in BM that he will make the right decisions in who to bring in.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 29 Dec 2012 17:37

USA_Loyal_Royal apparently AZ said that funds have been made available for the transfer window. i believe in BM that he will make the right decisions in who to bring in.

'how much though with the strengthening th squad so desperatly needs a transfer fund of just £10m won't buy you much ..

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 30 Dec 2012 20:43

Big Ern That win will have secured his job for the transfer window. Although I am firmly in the 'Brian out' camp if he is given the transfer window to sort it out we have no choice but to stick with him and he deserves our support as there is no point changing the manager if he can't do anything about the plating staff.

Hi BE, serious question, I note you are in the BM out camp (oooh err missus!) but whom would you bring in to improve the situation? Apologies if you are on record and I have missed it, but I am genuinely intrigued by the prospect of people who say BM out, out, out, but omit to offer a realistic alternative! BM is doing ok on a limited budget with limited resources IMHO Not really sure how anybody could guarantee a successful change without also seriously risking the financial future of the club?

3209 posts