The Battle To Avoid Relegation Thread

164 posts
Eaststandman

Re: The Battle To Avoid Relegation Thread

by Eaststandman » 02 Jan 2013 22:54

Relegation is a fact of life, 3 teams will go down, we may or may not be one of them, but if the club is solvent and we have at least what we have now, we can go again! Relegation is disappointing, not devastating, unless the club panics and implodes by reaching for unreasonable supporter expectation. Until mathematically we are doomed, I'm hoping that BM et al can turn it around, as long as they do the best they can I don't expect more! Just saying.........

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 02 Jan 2013 23:02

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2013 23:08

Gunny Fishcake Only the physchophantic deluded believe we're not destined for relegation .

interesting spelling of sychophantic - I presume.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 02 Jan 2013 23:25

Ian Royal
Gunny Fishcake Only the physchophantic deluded believe we're not destined for relegation .

interesting spelling of sychophantic - I presume.

An excellent observation. You are the brightest of us all. Your genius always inspired me Sir

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jan 2013 23:42

redscot Does not really matter that QPR won today. I am more worried about the likes of Wigan/Villa/Southampton/Newcastle. They are the ones in the current fight to avoid regulation.

Agreed

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 03 Jan 2013 00:01

Won't the QPR result not just convince Brian wer're on the right track?

Keep them from scoring despite wave after wave of attack and nick s goal where we can

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 03 Jan 2013 00:22

It's really quite simple what we have to do :

- Draw with QPR at home and get no more than two points fewer than they get from all their other matches..
- Beat Wigan at home and get three more points than they do from their other matches.
- Beat Villa at home and get four more points than they do from their other matches.

In practice, of course, it'll be a whole lot more complicated and convoluted than that, but it's not about getting to any "target" number of points or a certain number of wins, it's doing just that little bit better than three other teams.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 03 Jan 2013 05:34

redscot Does not really matter that QPR won today. I am more worried about the likes of Wigan/Villa/Southampton/Newcastle. They are the ones in the current fight to avoid regulation.

agreed and it's these teams we must take the points off so far against the other teams in the bottom 6 we've taken just 2 pts out of 15 and that simply is not good enough and it has to improrve if we are to stay up.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 03 Jan 2013 07:10

It's really quite simple what we have to do :

- Draw with QPR at home and get no more than two points fewer than they get from all their other matches..
- Beat Wigan at home and get three more points than they do from their other matches.
- Beat Villa at home and get four more points than they do from their other matches.

I wish it was that simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

retro royal

by retro royal » 03 Jan 2013 08:44

I think the QPR result could help us, it will mean the so called bigger teams Newcastle, Villa will be looking over there shoulders, thinking there's two teams from the bottom catching us, we can't afford to go down this year with 25% extra tv money next year. I have a feeling 35 points maybe enough this year, the home games against Villa, QPR, Wigan, Southampton, Sunderland are Vital and we need something from WBA.

Feel Brian is still the right man for the job, the change of tactic has been good, and a bit more composure in the middle of midfield will see us keep more possession, just need kebe to start beating his man a bit more, his hamstring injury seems too have cost him some pace, and would like HRK to replace the ineffective McAnuff.

COYR

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 03 Jan 2013 08:51

21 games - 13 points.
17 games left - equates to 10.5 points on that ratio.

23 points will not be enough to stay up, it would take a run of last seasons proportions to even entertain the idea of Prem football next year.

redscot

by redscot » 03 Jan 2013 09:01

Neatly avoiding the fact whom we still have to play at home.... Win those matches and it does not look that bad.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 03 Jan 2013 09:04

Because the record against QPR, Villa, Wigan, Southampton, Newcastle, Sunderland, Fulham, Norwich is exemplary?

7 points from the ENTIRE bottom half of the table teams.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 03 Jan 2013 09:12

Against Newcastle, Fulham & Norwich we played well. Draw was fair for last two but we should've won against Newcastle if the ref/lino had bloody seen Ba's handball. No reason why we can't beat QPR, Southampton, Sunderland, Wigan & Villa at home, going to be tough I agree but still doable.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Jan 2013 10:25

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Jackson Corner
Divvy We cannot avoid relegation this season. There isn't three worse teams than us. :roll:

There isn't one after tonight.

QPR are still bottom. I know "glass half empty" is the motto round here, but basic maths shouldn't be beyond people.

Sadly, Divvy 1 and Divvy 2 are but a miniscule element of this nations arithmetic void.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Jan 2013 10:50

Eaststandman Relegation is a fact of life, 3 teams will go down, we may or may not be one of them, but if the club is solvent and we have at least what we have now, we can go again! Relegation is disappointing, not devastating, unless the club panics and implodes by reaching for unreasonable supporter expectation. Until mathematically we are doomed, I'm hoping that BM et al can turn it around, as long as they do the best they can I don't expect more! Just saying.........

And here's what should be the fairly obvious bigger picture.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 03 Jan 2013 10:55

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 03 Jan 2013 11:10

I honestly think we have a chance if we keep it tight as we are at the moment. We can score goals and if we get an early one, I'd be happy us just scrapping till the final whistle this season. Next season we should plan to operate like Stoke.

As a matter of interest, does anyone else think Newcastle could easily be playing Championship football next season in there Wonga Stadium :lol:

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 03 Jan 2013 11:13

Realistically, I can see us getting 8 more wins, if we perfom to our best with nice new signings, that would put us on 37, add a couple of draws and we might make it...but as it stands the odds are stack against us, up to the players and BM to do the business

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Jan 2013 11:23

think 8 wins is doable

but that just makes it worse

i preferred it a few weeks ago when there was no chnace at all

now there is hope, which will just make it all the more painful

164 posts