Weather Watch- Newcastle

mumbo-jumbo

Re: Weather Watch- Newcastle

by mumbo-jumbo » 16 Jan 2013 08:19

Relax guys! I live with a seriously keen amateur meteorologist. On studying the weather charts in depth he reliably informs me that Newcastle will not be snowed off. There will be heavy snow down here over friday night and on saturday, but should not get as far as Newcastle before the game. It could be, for once, that going 'up North' for a game is the right place at the right time!

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 16 Jan 2013 08:33

mumbo-jumbo Relax guys! I live with a seriously keen amateur meteorologist. On studying the weather charts in depth he reliably informs me that Newcastle will not be snowed off. There will be heavy snow down here over friday night and on saturday, but should not get as far as Newcastle before the game. It could be, for once, that going 'up North' for a game is the right place at the right time!

Is his name Michael Fish by any chance?

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 16 Jan 2013 08:37

mumbo-jumbo Relax guys! I live with a seriously keen amateur meteorologist. On studying the weather charts in depth he reliably informs me that Newcastle will not be snowed off. There will be heavy snow down here over friday night and on saturday, but should not get as far as Newcastle before the game. It could be, for once, that going 'up North' for a game is the right place at the right time!

We are flying from Heathrow on Saturday so it looks like were fcuked then!

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 16 Jan 2013 10:49

My worry isn't the game - it's getting there. Planning to drive up on Saturday am, which may be problematical if there is a lot of snow on Friday.

pearcetom

by pearcetom » 17 Jan 2013 12:01

Driving up, leaving at 6am just to be safe! Could be an interesting drive looking at the forecast!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Jan 2013 12:04

Alexander Litvinenko My worry isn't the game - it's getting there. Planning to drive up on Saturday am, which may be problematical if there is a lot of snow on Friday.

As you didn't answer my e-mail :evil:

Where are you picking me up from and what time?

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 17 Jan 2013 13:33

royalexile Either way- hotel booked and that is not getting wasted. :mrgreen:

Sandman Signature? Thoroughly recommended for a short city break in the toon.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 17 Jan 2013 14:33

royalZILLAAA

That's where I am staying!

MattRFC

by MattRFC » 17 Jan 2013 14:43

tee peg

We are flying from Heathrow on Saturday so it looks like were fcuked then!

My old man works at Heathrow, spoke to him last night and he assured me the flights would be ok. BAA spent millions on snow clearing equipment after being caught out a couple of years ago apparently.

I'm more concerned about the game being called off....

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Jan 2013 18:25

If any English team should be able to deal with snow it's Newcastle. I'd be more worried if it was a home game.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 17 Jan 2013 18:49

Royal Ginger If any English team should be able to deal with snow it's Newcastle. I'd be more worried if it was a home game.

This. Newcastle haven't postponed a home game since 2005 according to @ReadingFC twitter feed - although that would be our luck that it be us they have to call one off for!

Darlo Royal

by Darlo Royal » 17 Jan 2013 18:57

Pardew has just this minute been on BBC Look North. He said, "Some games will definitely be called off this weekend, but I think ours will definitely be on. We have an excellent workforce and an excellent relationship with the local Council."

It is bone-chilling cold up here at the moment (-9 at Newcastle Airport last night) and there will be snow on Friday night and Saturday, but the main risk will be the possibility of surrounding streets being dangerous due to ice. Pardew seems confident the NUFC workforce and Council can cope.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 17 Jan 2013 20:22

Haag Royal
royalZILLAAA

That's where I am staying!

A fine choice. Literally RIGHT outside the stadium. Breakfast isn't great though.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 18 Jan 2013 12:39

Team now taking coach after plane cancelled - why on earth didn't they go up yesterday when they saw the forecast?

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 18 Jan 2013 12:44

shaka's shorts Team now taking coach after plane cancelled - why on earth didn't they go up yesterday when they saw the forecast?

Squad trained yesterday I assume, but yeah no reason why they couldn't have gone in the evening. My guess is ££££££.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 18 Jan 2013 12:51

Apparently they are in South Yorks now and no major snow, so all OK

pearcetom

by pearcetom » 18 Jan 2013 12:53

my mates driving us up tomorrow...hopefully! is it just pretty much up the M1 all the way? anyone know what roads normally get closed during these conditions?

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 18 Jan 2013 12:57

blueroyals
shaka's shorts Team now taking coach after plane cancelled - why on earth didn't they go up yesterday when they saw the forecast?

Squad trained yesterday I assume, but yeah no reason why they couldn't have gone in the evening. My guess is ££££££.

No reason? Unless we've got our own plane I'm not sure it's easy just to re-book about 20 people onto a new flight.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Jan 2013 13:06

pearcetom my mates driving us up tomorrow...hopefully! is it just pretty much up the M1 all the way? anyone know what roads normally get closed during these conditions?

live traffic updates and traffic cams, check before you go.

http://www.trafficengland.com/motorwayf ... t=true#mtf

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 18 Jan 2013 13:07

pearcetom my mates driving us up tomorrow...hopefully! is it just pretty much up the M1 all the way? anyone know what roads normally get closed during these conditions?

Good luck