Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
jellytot

Re: Next Reading Manager

by jellytot » 11 Mar 2013 20:24

melonhead
Jano Horrible feeling it's going to be Di Canio.

it will be

and not only that, he'll keep us up, and we'll be forced to idolise him

Pigs flying

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 11 Mar 2013 20:24

tl;dr - McDermott isn't a premier league manager. Reading need someone who is.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 11 Mar 2013 20:28

adkins or di matteo for me please. would be pleased with either of the two as i feel they could get us playing the best football, could attract players BM couldnt, and would be willing to spend the money.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 11 Mar 2013 20:30

Seems a bit wrong with the corpse still warm but I'd go for Adkins, like Brian proven in the championship and seems like a decent chap.

If we end up with a shouty nazi I'll just pick up again when we are playing Wolves in league one.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Mar 2013 20:31

USA_Loyal_Royal adkins or di matteo for me please. would be pleased with either of the two as i feel they could get us playing the best football, could attract players BM couldnt, and would be willing to spend the money.

Yes - or Poyet if we could get him; all three know the championship as well.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Mar 2013 20:31

Poyet please.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Mar 2013 20:33

BrockManson Anyone really surprised BM got the heave ho? I'm not in the least surprised as it's been long coming.

First of all though - the man should be thanked for sorting out the hideous mess Brendan Rodgers was making. I've been a season ticket holder since Pardew took over, and never have I seen the club in such a dire fix. Brian came in and kept the club up (relegation would've been catastrophic at that point) - definitely a massive achievement in itself given the hangover clubs relegated from the premiership often experience. He's been a loyal servant to the club for years and brought the iconic Doyle and Long to the club (Kitson as well?).

His getting the team to a playoff final and then finishing as champions the next season were nothing short of miraculous. The squad was paper thin even when they got relegated from the premiership, and only let more players go each season without bringing in proper reinforcements. People may disagree but it's clear to me Brian got the job because he wasn't going to kick off at Madjeski's lack of critical investment in the playing staff (yes, JM has done wonders for the club since he bought it but that's another matter). He even sang the owner's praises when Sigurdsson was sold to a non-club who threw money at our chairman.

Unfortunately for him, the premiership is a cruel league and he's simply out of his depth at this level. His and the board's abject failure in the transfer market has also cost the team dearly. Going into the premiership with Ian Harte as your first choice LB, Gorkss (to start with), McAnuff and Leigterwood as key players is absolutely unforgivable. Signing Guthrie was a good move on paper, but incredibly naive as he just doesn't fit into the sort of system Brian uses. McDermott is totally unable to adapt tactically to matches. He only ever has a vague plan B - last season it was to move Karacan to right back and move McAnuff into the middle (which was utter crud). This season has been to bring on Le Fondre to try and nab a goal. With an overachieving lower playoff-standard team, you need organised tactics to make up for your players' lesser quality.

Tactics have been to simply play at a high tempo and get the ball forward, which hasn't worked. It was fine in the Championship where spirit, graft and kick & rush can get results, but you need that something extra to succeed at this high a level. McDermott only changes the formation after several games where his lineup hasn't delivered. Even during the run of form in January after finally switching to a more conservative 4-5-1, he still didn't adapt the team for the important home games where more attacking formations would've won games. There's next to no defensive cohesion or consistency because the defence is never the bloody same. Pearce not signing a new contract doesn't help, but nor does hurting the team by leaving your best centre back out of the side and playing an academy graduate who hadn't even played for the club at championship level. We've had the weakest left flank in the entire league for the majority of our games, and every team we've played as exploited this.

He was always living on borrowed time thanks to his and the team's heroics last season, but he became to reliant on this. It was like Brian bingo after a game - 'these players have given me everything', 'this time last season we were at the bottom of the table' etc. He needed to drop the players who were out of form, not continuously alienate those who were on the bench. Zingarevich has wanted to get rid of him for ages, but clearly has a good relationship with Mr Madj so has stuck with his manager. Two back to back home defeats against Wigan and a very poor Villa side is unacceptable. Did Brian take responsibility? No. He got the tactics wrong, he got the team selection wrong, and this has been the case all season.

It's stupid to let him go with so few games left. Should've sacked him in January and given a new manager the transfer window. Now the club are crying out for a manager who will be able to secure the long term future of the club rather than swan in and flog a dead horse that is this current league campaign. Adkins maybe - he did well at Southampton but the core of his team had been put in place by Pardew. My big worry is whoever comes in to replace McDermott has a major restructuring of the club to do, and most likely have to accept relegation on their CV.

Excellent post.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 11 Mar 2013 20:38

You fools its quite obvious anton will be the next manager

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 11 Mar 2013 20:43

Is it reasonable to presume that with no mention of what is happening with Gibb, Bibbo etc..... and no "caretaker" been announced that a replacement has already been selected and an announcement will be made later in the week once the dust has settled from this decision ??

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 11 Mar 2013 20:44

3 of our last 4 managers have been people who have been at the club previously or internal appointments. Don't be surprised if it's Branfoot after the reception he got on sat. Anton will love a manager that can win something at Wembley.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 20:44

howser Is it reasonable to presume that with no mention of what is happening with Gibb, Bibbo etc..... and no "caretaker" been announced that a replacement has already been selected and an announcement will be made later in the week once the dust has settled from this decision ??

Yep - I've said that. And for a decision to be made so quickly, it can only mean Di Canio to me - he was there on Saturday - why?....

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Mar 2013 20:46

WoodleyRoyal You fools its quite obvious anton will be the next manager

His missus would probably do a decent job. (Possible post changing opportunity)

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 11 Mar 2013 20:52

I know.

DeCanio as Interim Manager.

Yes? :shock:

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 11 Mar 2013 20:53

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Mar 2013 20:56

Maguire

New avatar on standby

Divvy

by Divvy » 11 Mar 2013 20:57

Pepe the Horseman
Maguire

New avatar on standby

He was only waving to his family. :?

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 11 Mar 2013 20:57

Norfolk Royal
BrockManson Anyone really surprised BM got the heave ho? I'm not in the least surprised as it's been long coming.

First of all though - the man should be thanked for sorting out the hideous mess Brendan Rodgers was making. I've been a season ticket holder since Pardew took over, and never have I seen the club in such a dire fix. Brian came in and kept the club up (relegation would've been catastrophic at that point) - definitely a massive achievement in itself given the hangover clubs relegated from the premiership often experience. He's been a loyal servant to the club for years and brought the iconic Doyle and Long to the club (Kitson as well?).

His getting the team to a playoff final and then finishing as champions the next season were nothing short of miraculous. The squad was paper thin even when they got relegated from the premiership, and only let more players go each season without bringing in proper reinforcements. People may disagree but it's clear to me Brian got the job because he wasn't going to kick off at Madjeski's lack of critical investment in the playing staff (yes, JM has done wonders for the club since he bought it but that's another matter). He even sang the owner's praises when Sigurdsson was sold to a non-club who threw money at our chairman.

Unfortunately for him, the premiership is a cruel league and he's simply out of his depth at this level. His and the board's abject failure in the transfer market has also cost the team dearly. Going into the premiership with Ian Harte as your first choice LB, Gorkss (to start with), McAnuff and Leigterwood as key players is absolutely unforgivable. Signing Guthrie was a good move on paper, but incredibly naive as he just doesn't fit into the sort of system Brian uses. McDermott is totally unable to adapt tactically to matches. He only ever has a vague plan B - last season it was to move Karacan to right back and move McAnuff into the middle (which was utter crud). This season has been to bring on Le Fondre to try and nab a goal. With an overachieving lower playoff-standard team, you need organised tactics to make up for your players' lesser quality.

Tactics have been to simply play at a high tempo and get the ball forward, which hasn't worked. It was fine in the Championship where spirit, graft and kick & rush can get results, but you need that something extra to succeed at this high a level. McDermott only changes the formation after several games where his lineup hasn't delivered. Even during the run of form in January after finally switching to a more conservative 4-5-1, he still didn't adapt the team for the important home games where more attacking formations would've won games. There's next to no defensive cohesion or consistency because the defence is never the bloody same. Pearce not signing a new contract doesn't help, but nor does hurting the team by leaving your best centre back out of the side and playing an academy graduate who hadn't even played for the club at championship level. We've had the weakest left flank in the entire league for the majority of our games, and every team we've played as exploited this.

He was always living on borrowed time thanks to his and the team's heroics last season, but he became to reliant on this. It was like Brian bingo after a game - 'these players have given me everything', 'this time last season we were at the bottom of the table' etc. He needed to drop the players who were out of form, not continuously alienate those who were on the bench. Zingarevich has wanted to get rid of him for ages, but clearly has a good relationship with Mr Madj so has stuck with his manager. Two back to back home defeats against Wigan and a very poor Villa side is unacceptable. Did Brian take responsibility? No. He got the tactics wrong, he got the team selection wrong, and this has been the case all season.

It's stupid to let him go with so few games left. Should've sacked him in January and given a new manager the transfer window. Now the club are crying out for a manager who will be able to secure the long term future of the club rather than swan in and flog a dead horse that is this current league campaign. Adkins maybe - he did well at Southampton but the core of his team had been put in place by Pardew. My big worry is whoever comes in to replace McDermott has a major restructuring of the club to do, and most likely have to accept relegation on their CV.

Excellent post.

+1

TBH the late comebacks just delayed the inevitable. However with BM in charge we were 100% set for relegation as we were just producing the same naff performances every week. Now we may only have a 5% chance with the introduction of some new ideas (and hopefully a new team selection), so IMO we had nothing to lose sacking him.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Mar 2013 20:59

Well we are where we are. Adkins has the best CV IMO.

The Royal

by The Royal » 11 Mar 2013 21:01

Surprised no one has mentioned Parkinson

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 11 Mar 2013 21:02

Wally Downes?

2614 posts