MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: This could work!

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 11:02

Norfolk Royal
melonhead
Norfolk Royal Anyone who thins McD should not have been sacked has not watched our games recently. Also, they should remember that there is no other club in the Premier League with the possible exception of Wigan, who would have given him so much time.

funnily enough, its this difference between us and other clubs that made me so proud to be a reading fan

At what point does pride fail you, when we're in the Rymans?

no you div.

ill always be proud of my club. thats what being a fan is about.
that pride simply has a dent in it today

royalsroyalsroyals92

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 12 Mar 2013 11:02

melonhead
BraisingsteakRoyal Whether you think the sacking (or timing thereof) is wrong, does anyone disagree that the style of football employed by Brian is outdated, predictable and more often than not horrible to watch (even when we win)? Anyone?

brian played the system and tactics that most suited the players he had at his disposal

after he'd only bought players that suited the outdated tactics he wished to use

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Mar 2013 11:02

^ again, I ask – with 9 games left and relegation certain, which managerial candidate worth his salt will really want a confirmed relegation on his CV?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 11:03

royalsroyalsroyals92
melonhead
BraisingsteakRoyal Whether you think the sacking (or timing thereof) is wrong, does anyone disagree that the style of football employed by Brian is outdated, predictable and more often than not horrible to watch (even when we win)? Anyone?

brian played the system and tactics that most suited the players he had at his disposal

after he'd only bought players that suited the outdated tactics he wished to use

he bought players that fit the budget he was given to spend.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 12 Mar 2013 11:03

In order for the club to establish itself at the upper end of the Chump (or hopefully higher in the medium term), we need to change to a more modern, flexible passing style with more posession - and that starts with the manager coaching and assembling the right squad to do that.

The timing of the sacking gives the next guy maybe 5 or more COMPETITIVE games in order to assess the playing staff in order to make important, early moves over the summer to push on next year.

Love Brian, but this is exactly whats needed. These news articles slagging us off are missing the point. AZ knows we're almost certain for the drop - it's not about keeping us up now, it's about getting us back up.

I really enjoyed the modern, flexible, passing style which established us near the top of the Chump under Brenda. I'd love a return to that.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 12 Mar 2013 11:04

[quote="BraisingsteakRoyal"]

The timing of the sacking gives the next guy maybe 5 or more COMPETITIVE games in order to assess the playing staff in order to make important, early moves over the summer to push on next. AZ knows we're almost certain for the drop - it's not about keeping us up now, it's about getting us back up.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Mar 2013 11:04

mr_number There's just so little identity left within the club. If you want results, you may as well go to any other the other identikit teams with modern out of town stadiums, with players and staff with no ties to the club, trying to spend their way to being a mid table premiership team, and pick whichever one's doing well at the time.
Supporting a football team is about being sentimental, it is about being emotional, otherwise, what is it that you're caring about? I don't go and cheer on businesses on the high street. I cheer on a football club because it's meant to be more than a business. But clearly not.

Fcuking hell.

What's so sentimental about getting your arse handed to you every week?

I get it, I really do, I watched us when we were shit. But if you don't go to games wanting your club to win, and don't want them to get promoted, and don't want them to reach the PL, and don't want them to establish themselves in the PL, maybe qualify for Europe, maybe win a cup - well where's the romance in that?

"Lost to Peterborough again. I like it this way."

Do you think Bradford City fans enjoy Accrington Stanley away more than this season's cup run? They'll be talking about this season for years to come.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Mar 2013 11:04

Don't be stupid. The last thing he's doing is planning ahead. He's clinging to the hop ethat bringing in someone new weill energie th eteam and we'll avoid relegation.

Mourinho couldn't keep this club up. Brian never stood a chance with the investment that the new owners have made with a couple of million here and there. Tens of millions were needed. It's been a(nother) miracle that we've amassed this many points.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Mar 2013 11:04

melonhead

Yeah - again and again - even when it clearly wasn't working with 'his boys'.

He'd been here long enough to assemble 'his' squad, and it isn't good enough.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 12 Mar 2013 11:05

BraisingsteakRoyal The timing of the sacking gives the next guy maybe 5 or more COMPETITIVE games in order to assess the playing staff in order to make important, early moves over the summer to push on next year.

Must admit, this is the only positive I am taking from this decision currently.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 12 Mar 2013 11:05

Royal91
Once were Biscuitmen If we end up with an ex League one manager who is not given significant funds to re-engineer an aging, average championship team then we will have sacked a proven tier two manger for no good reason.

We have no divine right to be the Premiership if you look at our attendances, revenues, stadium capacity etc we are the definition of an upper mid table, tier two club.

If Anton wants to treat us like an indulgence rather than a business a la, Wigan, Fulham, Southamption, QPR etc then great if not……

Shut up you bellend. More small club mentality! We have every right to be a PL club!

Nobody has a 'right' to be in the Premiership but there are a number of enabling factors which make it significantly easier to achieve and we posses less of them than many of our competitors.

Unless Anton wants to act like Dave Whelan or the Southampton trust I’d rather face this reality and plan accordingly than act like a spoilt child because I can’t take a picture of Stevie G on my camera phone next season.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 11:06

i oxf*rd hated the footy under rodgers
lol at brendan being flexible, the most stubborn man in the world.
playing a style that didnt suit the players he had, which meant what could have been exciting progressive modern football turned into turgid passing around the back 4, eventualy lose the ball, concede.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Mar 2013 11:06

floyd__streete ^ again, I ask – with 9 games left and relegation certain, which managerial candidate worth his salt will really want a confirmed relegation on his CV?

No one in football (or in their right mind) would hold this forthcoming relegation against the incoming manager.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Mar 2013 11:06

floyd__streete ^ again, I ask – with 9 games left and relegation certain, which managerial candidate worth his salt will really want a confirmed relegation on his CV?

Someone with a pedigree in the football league, confident he can take a club like Reading back into the PL. Someone like Di Matteo, Poyet or Adkins.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Mar 2013 11:07

BraisingsteakRoyal AZ knows we're almost certain for the drop - it's not about keeping us up now, it's about getting us back up.

Don't be stupid. The last thing he's doing is planning ahead. He's clinging to the hope that bringing in someone new will energise the team and we'll avoid relegation.

Mourinho couldn't keep this club up. Brian never stood a chance with the investment that the new owners have made with a couple of million here and there. Tens of millions were needed. It's been a(nother) miracle that we've amassed this many points.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 12 Mar 2013 11:08

What on earth is this 'identity' stuff? Identity for whom? Any other identity is just your own perception. It's not real, it's not tangible.

Whether you like it or not, Reading FC cannot be the popular, moderately successful club who do things in a ever so cuddly fluffy manner that makes the world go "Awww...ickle Reading, bless!" and be successful year on year. It's a business, with much at stake. It's cut-throat and nasty. It is not about a club having this fictional 'soul' that the owners have to take into consideration each time we lose a manager we have an affinity with 'because he was a nice bloke'.

Get a grip. This isn't the same game that was played in the 70's which people love to hark back to oh so often. Oh, but look how far we've come! Yes, and we'll soon be back there if pointless sentiment is what people think the club needs to progress.

It's like no manager, ever, at any other club has ever been sacked! OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Brian paid the price for not winning games. And winning is what it's all about. Identity? It's all in your head.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Mar 2013 11:08

melonhead i oxf*rd hated the footy under rodgers
lol at brendan being flexible, the most stubborn man in the world.
playing a style that didnt suit the players he had, which meant what could have been exciting progressive modern football turned into turgid passing around the back 4, eventualy lose the ball, concede.

+1.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Mar 2013 11:09

Sanguine

Someone with a pedigree in the football league, confident he can take a club like Reading back into the PL. Someone like Di Matteo, Poyet or Adkins.

We'll see, eh. Don't forget that Di Matteo and Adkins both struggled somewhat in the Prem with clubs of similar size to Reading and both were sacked.

I will LOL if we get 9 games of Eamon Dolan as caretaker manager :lol:

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 12 Mar 2013 11:10

Sanguine
mr_number There's just so little identity left within the club. If you want results, you may as well go to any other the other identikit teams with modern out of town stadiums, with players and staff with no ties to the club, trying to spend their way to being a mid table premiership team, and pick whichever one's doing well at the time.
Supporting a football team is about being sentimental, it is about being emotional, otherwise, what is it that you're caring about? I don't go and cheer on businesses on the high street. I cheer on a football club because it's meant to be more than a business. But clearly not.

Fcuking hell.

What's so sentimental about getting your arse handed to you every week?

I get it, I really do, I watched us when we were shit. But if you don't go to games wanting your club to win, and don't want them to get promoted, and don't want them to reach the PL, and don't want them to establish themselves in the PL, maybe qualify for Europe, maybe win a cup - well where's the romance in that?

"Lost to Peterborough again. I like it this way."

Do you think Bradford City fans enjoy Accrington Stanley away more than this season's cup run? They'll be talking about this season for years to come.

Yeah, it's been a rubbish season. But it was always likely to be like this. We have a manager who has a proven track record in the league below. One who is tied to the fabric of the club. Who truly cares about the club. Yeah, we're gonna get relag8ed. It's fcking shit, I agree. I was literally numb on Saturday evening, as I'm sure many people on here were. But next year, Brian would have been in a great position to take us up. He's made mistakes in one season, and that's it. We're not even giving someone else a chance to keep us up. (I grudgingly might have accepted a dismissal in December because of this, although I would still have been upset.) If he could take us up next year, then he'd undoubtedly be in a better position to manage it - he'd have the experience and stability from an extended tenure. And most of all, we'd still have a Reading man in charge.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Mar 2013 11:11

BraisingsteakRoyal In order for the club to establish itself at the upper end of the Chump (or hopefully higher in the medium term), we need to change to a more modern, flexible passing style with more posession

We've been established at the upper end of "the Chump" for ages haven't we?

Champions 06/07, Prem, Prem, Play-offs, about 9th, Play-off Final, Champions, Prem

It's a total myth that the upper echelons of the Championship are populated by a load of mini Barcelonas tiki-takaing their way through rainy away days in Barnsley and Middlesbrough.

We don't gain much possession this season because our players aren't very good. This has been the club's greatest failing rather than Brian championing some form of anti-football.

714 posts