124 posts
Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What about crap games you're proud you went to

by Winchester Royal » 11 Jun 2013 23:34

Gordons Cumming Reading 1, Leicester 3

About 10 years ago..............?

Proud? Probably not..

Rearranged from the one that got called off on boxing day that year? I remember that one, we went 3-0 down pretty quickly and then Andy Hughes got a consolation I think.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 12 Jun 2013 00:24

Reading 0-6 Bristol Rovers

0-0 at half time and I believe Cureton scored 4 and Roberts scored 2

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Jun 2013 00:31

Ark Royal Chester away in 89. Drove from Brackers to Leeds to do a system installation, then rushed from Leeds to Macclesfield (Chester were playing at Moss Rose then) just in time for kick-off. In the pissing rain, I then watched Reading lose an abject game 1-0 with 630 other retards and then after that singularly miserable experience, drove to my hotel in Preston for another installation the following day. Brilliant!

I was one of the other retards. It was complete gash.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 12 Jun 2013 01:04

Terminal Boardom
Ark Royal Chester away in 89. Drove from Brackers to Leeds to do a system installation, then rushed from Leeds to Macclesfield (Chester were playing at Moss Rose then) just in time for kick-off. In the pissing rain, I then watched Reading lose an abject game 1-0 with 630 other retards and then after that singularly miserable experience, drove to my hotel in Preston for another installation the following day. Brilliant!

I was one of the other retards. It was complete gash.

Me too. I saw Distillery play a couple of times this year and they weren't as bad as we were that evening.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 12 Jun 2013 01:17

100% agree with those saying the 2006, 0-4, Arsenal game was the contrary of crap. It was just a graceful lesson in football, and probably one learnt from considering our progress afterwards - it could even have been a contributing factor to our finishing position that season. I don't think the ball has been passed around our pitch anywhere near as good as it was that day. Henry and Fabregas absolutely ran the show... I'll never forget Henry's first goal, scored in 58 seconds?! Even if it wasn't the best of the day, it was raw football. Fabregas just about kept it in and pulled it back for Henry who just let the pass to him do the work off his foot; clicking the bottom of the net lining, real quality.

Last season's Carling Cup fixture with Arsenal however was sincerely crap. There's losing, then there's losing a 4-0 lead at home - becoming the only team in League Cup history to score 5 and lose. That game still makes me turn.

Will we ever beat them?

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 12 Jun 2013 03:13

Gillingham 0 - 0 Reading

New years day 2005, pissed it down with rain, oxf*rd terrible game with just one memorable disallowed Glen Little header.

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 12 Jun 2013 04:35

A 4-1 defeat away to Leyton Orient in late 1989. A truly miserable performance with only Steve Francis having anything which resembled a decent game. I think most RFC fans were just resigned to defeat. Ian Branfoot's last game in charge.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 12 Jun 2013 06:41

Proud? Probably not..

My god that game was cold.

Blue Blood

by Blue Blood » 12 Jun 2013 07:15

Chestefield 6 or 7 (I lost count) - Reading 1

We actually took the lead (Sanchez as I recall).

It pissed down

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 12 Jun 2013 07:49

A couple to start with.

Palace 6-1 home defeat at Elm Park in 1996
Bristol Rovers 6-0 home defeat at the Mad Stad in 1999.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 12 Jun 2013 08:21

I remember a dismal 4—1 defeat at Molineux in 2004 - I got the train up and then arranged a lift back to the University Christmas Ball in Winchester with the boyfriend of a girl I lived with in halls. He turned out to be a Wolves fan.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 12 Jun 2013 08:34

Sticking strictly to the thread title then the Wigan reading play off semi final at Wigan sticks in the mind. I went to a party in north London with my brother and literally got an hour's sleep on someone's floor before getting the 7.30 train to Wigan for what turned out to be a dull 0-0 given the magnitude of the game....the hangover and lack of sleep didn't help. A game that everyone forgets as the second leg was so memorable....

qpr away under Rodgers when we lost 4-0 was the worst performance I have ever seen by a reading side....

Oh and an honourable mention to reading v Norwich this season dire 0-0....

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 12 Jun 2013 08:37

Fulham away in the Autoglass trophy
Plenty of ridiculous midweek away games; Doncaster, Sheffield Utd/Wed, Doncaster, Swansea
More recently, Everton on that horrific run, knowing we were going to lose, feeling like utter turd, but going anyway

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Jun 2013 08:43

Blue Blood Chestefield 6 or 7 (I lost count) - Reading 1

We actually took the lead (Sanchez as I recall).

It pissed down

We did take the lead, however, the scorer was Ollie Kearns after 3 minutes. I was there.

Thinking back, drawing 0-0 at home to Torquay in 75/76 was particularly crap. They didnt park the bus; they parked the whole oxf*rd fleet!!!

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Jun 2013 09:33

Winchester Royal

Proud? Probably not..

Rearranged from the one that got called off on boxing day that year? I remember that one, we went 3-0 down pretty quickly and then Andy Hughes got a consolation I think.

New Years Day, not Boxing Day

Game was also Sidwell's home debut I seem to recall. We were SHOCKING and got bullied by a certain Trevor Benjamin. :oops:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 12 Jun 2013 09:39

Avon Royal

Proud? Probably not..

My god that game was cold.

I flew over from Belfast for that rearranged game.

:shock:

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Jun 2013 09:39

Winchester Royal I remember a dismal 4—1 defeat at Molineux in 2004 - I got the train up and then arranged a lift back to the University Christmas Ball in Winchester with the boyfriend of a girl I lived with in halls. He turned out to be a Wolves fan.
Think it was Dean Morgan who scored for us that day - a grim performance. My main memory of that game was being in the stand behind the goal, right next to the Wolves fans. Soon after they took the lead, to a man they all turned around and sang "FATTY FATTY WHAT'S THE SCORE" at a well known "big Reading fan" who looked utterly distraught.

Readingfanman Gillingham 0 - 0 Reading

New years day 2005, pissed it down with rain, oxf*rd terrible game with just one memorable disallowed Glen Little header.

Yes - dire game in freezing conditions.

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 12 Jun 2013 10:56

FA Cup Wealdstone 2 Reading 1 about 1977 was worse than crap!

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 12 Jun 2013 11:22

just some bloke FA Cup second replay against Welling United at Elm Park on 19 December 1989. Went into extra time and ended up 0-0. It was December and the rain was bitter, driving and cold. I was on the open Tilehurst Road End. It was a pretty grim evening.

I was there on the Tilehurst End, it was miserable. I remember Mark Whitlock rising like a salmon to head in a corner, he was grinning like a loon as finally this god-forsaken tie would be put to bed. He then proceeded to head it miles over the bar and landed face down in a puddle.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jun 2013 12:15

el_presidente
just some bloke FA Cup second replay against Welling United at Elm Park on 19 December 1989. Went into extra time and ended up 0-0. It was December and the rain was bitter, driving and cold. I was on the open Tilehurst Road End. It was a pretty grim evening.

I was there on the Tilehurst End, it was miserable. I remember Mark Whitlock rising like a salmon to head in a corner, he was grinning like a loon as finally this god-forsaken tie would be put to bed. He then proceeded to head it miles over the bar and landed face down in a puddle.

Jesus Christ. Mark Whitlock.

I know people go on about the Mark Reilly's, Elroy Kromheers and Peter Van Der Kwaaks of this world as the worst player ever to play for Reading but Mark Whitlock really was a bigger shower of shite than those three put together.

124 posts