Captain

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Captain

by P!ssed Off » 23 Jun 2013 01:09

Drenthe, Kebe, Robson-Kanu, McCleary and McAnuff.

Even if we play 3 across the attacking midfield (2 Wingers, 1 CAM) given the options currently available it would seem illogical to guarantee McAnuff starts in every match by keeping him captain.

The only people who I think are likely to have a pretty much nailed on spot (if they're still here next season) would be Mariappa, McCarthy and Bridge.

From these three I'd make Mariappa captain personally.
Possibly Bridge as vice-captain? Either Bridge or Karacan for vice I would say.

It would probably upset McAnuff to lose the captaincy but keeping him captain just to avoid an upset is a bit daft.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 23 Jun 2013 01:25

P!ssed Off Drenthe, Kebe, Robson-Kanu, McCleary and McAnuff.

Even if we play 3 across the attacking midfield (2 Wingers, 1 CAM) given the options currently available it would seem illogical to guarantee McAnuff starts in every match by keeping him captain.

The only people who I think are likely to have a pretty much nailed on spot (if they're still here next season) would be Mariappa, McCarthy and Bridge.

From these three I'd make Mariappa captain personally.
Possibly Bridge as vice-captain? Either Bridge or Karacan for vice I would say.

It would probably upset McAnuff to lose the captaincy but keeping him captain just to avoid an upset is a bit daft.

Being realistic Drenthe will not play in that many games, he has only managed 80 or so games in his entire career.
So I do not expect to see him complete a full championship season, probably about 20 games if we are lucky.

If we are looking for a senior player based on age and experience in the game, that will be nailed on to play every game then Wayne bridge must be in the frame.

Adkins has no particular loyalties within this group so may well go for one that he has brought in.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 23 Jun 2013 02:20

I think Jobi will remain as captain mainly due to the positive way the team reacted to changing their style of play and keeping their heads up at the end of last season.

Jobi has represented this club very well, was captain of a team which did gain promotion and I see no reason to change the captaincy provided he is with the team next year.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Jun 2013 08:25

Pearce,natural leader and will always give 100%

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 23 Jun 2013 10:06

Has to be Mariappa, most vocal of or defence, lead from the back

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jun 2013 11:03

Royal91
Ian Royal
Royal91 I'd have Mariappa as capt purely because he will play more games than McAnuff and he will be playing 90mins as well.

You have to change your wingers during the match as its the area where fresh legs are always needed. You can't sub your capt.

You don't know Mariappa will play more than McAnuff. Being a winger also hasn't held him back the last couple of seasons, so that seems pretty flawed logic to me.

Mariappa will clearly be our number CB and assuming he avoids injury will play every game. CB partnerships are key.

You think. We currently have 3 centrebacks who are proven to be very good at this level and another who has loads of potential. Mariappa is probably favourite to start out of all of them, but it's by no means certain.

Royal91 One of the most annoying things last year was the fact McAnuff never got subbed even if he was playing shit.
McAnuff was rarely shit last season, and wasn't subbed much because of that. You can't say he shouldn't be captain because he'll be subbed a lot and then complain that he wasn't subbed last season. That's self defeating.

Royal91 I think its completely reasonable logic to a favour a CB as your capt. Can't name too many wingers that are captains.
In general a CB will be a better choice than a winger. But that's because of the sort of personalities involved and what we have is a specific case, not a general one. McAnuff is captain and has been a good captain.
I wasn't arguing that a winger should be captain ahead of a CB I was saying that it's flawed logic to say McAnuff shouldn't be captain because he'll be subbed a lot, when he's not been subbed a lot the last two seasons. And that you're making an assumption Mariappa will play more, when McAnuff played more than him last season.

Royal91 How many times do you see CB's get subbed in comparison to wingers????

Irrelevent. How many times did McAnuff get subbed last season and the one before? Very few if any. Your argument is therefore flawed and certainly not the fact you present it as.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 23 Jun 2013 11:28

both of you have fair points, but i think that half the reason jobi was not subbed much last season is due to him being BMs golden boy, under adkins i think he will struggle to hold down a place regulary. NA has no "loyalties" to anyone to guarantee them starting places, unlike jobi and legs were under BM.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Jun 2013 11:36

Pearce.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 23 Jun 2013 11:45

Club captain = McAnuff
Match day captain = Kelly

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 23 Jun 2013 11:49

TheLawnMowerMan Club captain = McAnuff

Assuming Kelly starts ahead of Gunter who is more suited to Adkins attacking wing-back style. Fulham fans claimed Kelly didn't get forward enough, where as Gunter does.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 23 Jun 2013 12:01

Who did Adkins have as captain at his previous clubs? Adam Lallana at So'ton wasn't it? In that case he's obviously not averse to appointing a winger as captain. No idea who it was at Scunthorpe though.

I'd stick with Jobi, he seems very popular with the lads and has bags of experience. Yes he may not be the loudest voice on the pitch, but there is so much more to being a captain than just 90mins on a Saturday afternoon.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 23 Jun 2013 12:02

How many players are a good bet to start every game at the moment?
McCarthy?
Bridge?
Guthrie?

Not sure any of those 3 would be a match day captain.
To be honest I don't think the captain on the pitch is as important as club captain these days.
If Pearce is ahead of both Mariappa and Morrison then maybe it should be him.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 23 Jun 2013 12:12

if i had to choose , id choose mariappa to play over pearce anyday

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 23 Jun 2013 12:19

TheLawnMowerMan How many players are a good bet to start every game at the moment?
McCarthy?
Bridge?
Guthrie?

Not sure any of those 3 would be a match day captain.

----------------------------- McCarthy -----------------------------

Gunter ------------ Mariappa ------- Pearce ------------- Bridge

I only see injury affecting that back five.

Mariappa captain ahead of Pearce for me, but either would be better than McAnuff.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 23 Jun 2013 14:16

Judge Drenthe
----------------------------- McCarthy -----------------------------

Kelly will compete for RB. I'd expect some switching around there.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 23 Jun 2013 14:32

Judge Drenthe ----------------------------- McCarthy -----------------------------

Mariappa captain ahead of Pearce for me, but either would be better than McAnuff.

I think Morisson will be the best long term CB, but he needs a good run in the team.
Kelly is too experienced to sit on the bench - he'll be off if Gunter is the first choice (and we still have Cummings).
Not sure Mariappa is captain material.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 23 Jun 2013 15:20

Wouldn't mind that, if Kelly is first choice right back.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 23 Jun 2013 16:57

St. Brynjar

Wouldn't mind that, if Kelly is first choice right back.

Which all the signs suggest he won't be.

peeping bernal

by peeping bernal » 23 Jun 2013 17:08

One person not mentioned and has settled in to the new style, even progressed after going stagnant under BMcD is Karacan. The only question mark is would he thrive under the responsibility on suffer, having just got back on track after a torrid 12 months of injury and loss of form through either lack of confidence or the style we were playing.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 23 Jun 2013 17:20

peeping bernal One person not mentioned and has settled in to the new style, even progressed after going stagnant under BMcD is Karacan. The only question mark is would he thrive under the responsibility on suffer, having just got back on track after a torrid 12 months of injury and loss of form through either lack of confidence or the style we were playing.

Didnt he get the arm band against Fulham after Jobi went off? I remember him having an amazing game and being captain just seemed to make him give an extra 50% on top of his usual 100%.

He is a good shout and ideally want a homegrown player to get it, if it wasnt for Alex Pearce being a cock recently he would be guaranteed.

So for now my choices are:
Jobi, if hes going to be playing regularly.
Pearce, only if all is forgiven.
Jem
Mariappa
Carrico
Bridge

but we have to wait and see who else we bring in.