Reading best eleven

timelessclassic

Reading best eleven

by timelessclassic » 24 Jul 2013 17:11

Hi. New member and a fan of Yeovil just dropping in.

Interested in how you think you will line up next season in as much as your best starting eleven. Obviously Reading are one of the favourites for automatic promotion and have probably had the best transfer window of all the championship clubs.

Obviously, Adkins plays a 4-2-3-1 going on reading some of the posts on here and there is some doubt whether Pavel Pogrebnyak will still be at Reading for the new season.

Also interested in why Adam Le Fondre is not an automatic first choice player as he seems to guarantee goals and would scoring plenty with the supply line you seem to have on the wings.

Thanks and all the best for the new season.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Reading best eleven

by TBM » 24 Jul 2013 17:23

timelessclassic Hi. New member and a fan of Yeovil just dropping in.

Interested in how you think you will line up next season in as much as your best starting eleven. Obviously Reading are one of the favourites for automatic promotion and have probably had the best transfer window of all the championship clubs.

Obviously, Adkins plays a 4-2-3-1 going on reading some of the posts on here and there is some doubt whether Pavel Pogrebnyak will still be at Reading for the new season.

Also interested in why Adam Le Fondre is not an automatic first choice player as he seems to guarantee goals and would scoring plenty with the supply line you seem to have on the wings.

ALF can't play up front on is own - works better in a 4-4-2

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 24 Jul 2013 17:29

one thing we do lack is a striker with genuine pace, which would be ideal as an out ball if teams want to press us high up. we should have the ability to dominate possession against most teams. defence and midfield look real quality. le fonder is the fox in the box that may do well in this style of play as he was unsuited to chasing long balls, and therefore was better under mcd as an impact player when players are tiring

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 24 Jul 2013 17:30

Interested in how you think you will line up next season in as much as your best starting eleven.

===================== McCarthy =====================

Gunter ======= Mariappa ====== Pearce ========== Bridge

=============== Guthrie ====== Williams ===============

McCleary =========== Robson-Kanu ============= Drenthe

==================== Le Fondre ======================

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jul 2013 18:10

Firstly, good luck and I hope you have a good season and stay up.

No one really knows who'll play what formation for sure. We've got several players quite likely to leave, several areas where you could argue we need to strengthern and several areas where we've got a pretty good choice of player and it's not clear who'll start.

My money would be on us starting the season like this if Pog stays:

................McCarthy
Gunter, Mariappa, Pearce, Bridge
Drenthe, Williams, Guthrie, McAnuff
................Pog, ALF

If he goes it depends on who we get in, but we could comfortably play.

..............McCarthy
Gunter, Mariappa, Pearce, Bridge
..........Williams Guthrie
Robson-Kanu..Drenthe....McAnuff
...............ALF / new starter.

To be honest, we've got a good chance of staying up fielding a team from the rest of our squad, not including injuries. Bit light up front.

............Taylor / Federici
Kelly, Morrison, Gorkss, Cummings
...........Karacan, Akpan
McCleary.....Blackman......Obita
..............Samuel

Plenty of our fans aren't impressed with out transfer window so far. Although most of the ones with their heads screwed on right are. People will tell you ALF doesn't do well from starting, but I personally think that's as much a product of how we've played and with what set up when he's had that chance. I rate him highly.

Pleasure to be back in the exciting and highly competitive Championship, and a pleasure to see another relative minnow getting their chance to take it on. It's only 20 years ago we were in that category and had barely ever played at this level.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2013 18:32

A lot of people seem to rate Guntz over Kelly why is this?? Kelly to me seems much better (Gunter can get up and down that line quick to be fair to him)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jul 2013 18:43

-------------McCarthy------------
Kelly--Pearce--Mariappa-Bridge
------Guthrie---Karacan--------
Kébé------McAnuff-----Drenthe
-----------Pogrebnyak-----------

I haven't seen enough of Williams to comment but he could probably come in for Karacan, or we could play a 4-1-4-1 with Guthrie sitting deeper (and either Williams or McAnuff alongside Karacan).

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 24 Jul 2013 18:50

First game of the season we will line up like this:

-------------McCarthy
Kelly---Pearce---Mariappa---Bridge
--------Guthrie----Karacan----------
Drenthe-----McAnuff------McCleary
----------------ALF

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2013 18:56

--McCarthy--
Kelly--Pearce--Mapps--Bridge
--Guthrie--Williams--
-McCleary--HRK--Drenthe-
--ALF--

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Jul 2013 21:20

NewCorkSeth A lot of people seem to rate Guntz over Kelly why is this?? Kelly to me seems much better (Gunter can get up and down that line quick to be fair to him)

Gunter gets forward, Kelly doesn't. Adkins recognised this when he came in and immediately favoured Gunter. Gunter is no.1 right-back. Kelly will cover RB and LB IMO.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2013 21:40

SPARTA Gunter gets forward, Kelly doesn't. Adkins recognised this when he came in and immediately favoured Gunter. Gunter is no.1 right-back. Kelly will cover RB and LB IMO.

I noticed Guntz was quite good at getting forward, had grand pace and was good at getting into a nice position on either side of the wingers run but Kelly is just much, much better defensively!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jul 2013 21:51

SPARTA
NewCorkSeth A lot of people seem to rate Guntz over Kelly why is this?? Kelly to me seems much better (Gunter can get up and down that line quick to be fair to him)

Gunter gets forward, Kelly doesn't. Adkins recognised this when he came in and immediately favoured Gunter.

That's just not true though, is it?

In his first match, Adkins picked Kelly ahead of Gunter.
From then on, Adkins picked both.

Gunter's resurgence under Adkins was nothing to do with any extra attacking threat offered by Gunter ahead of Kelly, but rather because Adkins preferred Gunter to Shorey or Harte.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2013 21:56

SCIAG Adkins preferred Gunter to Shorey or Harte.

Both were turrible!! who do you prefer on the right? Guntz or Kelly?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jul 2013 22:09

Probably Kelly, but I'm fine with any of our three right backs at this level.

In the Premier League then definitely Kelly. I don't have much confidence in Gunter or Cummings after the number of mistakes they made last season.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 25 Jul 2013 00:24

I think after pre season that Karacan is going to be the first name on the team sheet. From the match I saw, and the other I listened to he seems to be relishing this new style.

PerthPom2013

by PerthPom2013 » 25 Jul 2013 01:01

I don't think people rate him over Kelly necessarily it's just that he fits Adkins' style of play better. I think Kelly is clearly the better defender but Adkins cares more about his full backs getting up and down, which is why he brought Bridge in and why he didn't want Harte and Shorey.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Jul 2013 05:44

No one seems to think Kebe will play then, despite the new contract.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 25 Jul 2013 09:17

Harpers So Solid Crew No one seems to think Kebe will play then, despite the new contract.

Good point. I think hes nearly ready but perhaps not until 2/3 games in. He wasnt playing at Bristol.I just hope we sign a new striker or keep Pog as Alf up on his own will be a disaster. If we sign someone good definite challengers. If not, mid table.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 25 Jul 2013 11:37

paddy20
Harpers So Solid Crew No one seems to think Kebe will play then, despite the new contract.

Good point. I think hes nearly ready but perhaps not until 2/3 games in. He wasnt playing at Bristol.I just hope we sign a new striker or keep Pog as Alf up on his own will be a disaster. If we sign someone good definite challengers. If not, mid table.

He'll play if he wants.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jul 2013 11:56

I think he'll definitely play when he's fully fit unless we play 2 up or the other wingers are performing very well.