Pre-season friendlies

354 posts
LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pre-season friendlies

by LoyalRoyal22 » 28 Jul 2013 18:47

Find it strange Taylor got 90 minutes and Federici did not get any over the weekend..

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 28 Jul 2013 19:00

glass half full
Libertine Well being a tough away game we gave it a go and almost fought back to get a draw. Tbf I was not expecting we would get anything from such a difficult game against a talented and well organized side.

Well said, Mr. Adkins!

:D
:lol:

Cypry

by Cypry » 28 Jul 2013 19:02

LoyalRoyal22 Find it strange Taylor got 90 minutes and Federici did not get any over the weekend..

Feds got 90 against Bristol City - means all three senior keepers have played 90 - stop trying to concoct conspiracy theories....

GMACthebeast

by GMACthebeast » 28 Jul 2013 19:23

One8Seven1
loyalroyal4life
Super Kevin Bremner! McCleary's one of our best players to be fair. Thought he did really well every time he played last season.

+1

Agreed. Question is, who plays on the left? McCleary should have a start on the right nailed on. Left is a difficult one because McAnuff is the captain, but there are better wingers I'd prefer to see in his place - Kebe and HRK, and Obita now impressing for a second summer and now looks ready to come in. Jobi has, or should have, a tough job on his hands to keep his place.

what about Drenthe ?

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 28 Jul 2013 19:27

GMACthebeast
One8Seven1 Agreed. Question is, who plays on the left? McCleary should have a start on the right nailed on. Left is a difficult one because McAnuff is the captain, but there are better wingers I'd prefer to see in his place - Kebe and HRK, and Obita now impressing for a second summer and now looks ready to come in. Jobi has, or should have, a tough job on his hands to keep his place.

what about Drenthe ?

I see him better suited to playing behind the striker, but yes, he too can play left or right. we have a lot of quality on the wings here, and McAnuff isn't even the third best winger.

GMACthebeast

by GMACthebeast » 28 Jul 2013 19:32

One8Seven1
GMACthebeast
One8Seven1 Agreed. Question is, who plays on the left? McCleary should have a start on the right nailed on. Left is a difficult one because McAnuff is the captain, but there are better wingers I'd prefer to see in his place - Kebe and HRK, and Obita now impressing for a second summer and now looks ready to come in. Jobi has, or should have, a tough job on his hands to keep his place.

what about Drenthe ?

I see him better suited to playing behind the striker, but yes, he too can play left or right. we have a lot of quality on the wings here, and McAnuff isn't even the third best winger.

McCleary has also been known to play on the left so that he can cut in and take a shot. Our wingers are our best assets and as much as i like McAnuff as a person and someone to have around the place i just don't think his skills on the pitch are up to par with the rest of our wingers.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 28 Jul 2013 20:51

windermere_royal Not a single player in this team will be starting next week , and rightly so

I'm not so sure about that, were you at the game?

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 28 Jul 2013 21:02

WestRoyal
windermere_royal Not a single player in this team will be starting next week , and rightly so

I'm not so sure about that, were you at the game?

He clearly wasn't. McCleary is by far and away our best winger. Had a superb pre-season and deserves a start!

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 28 Jul 2013 21:58

LoyalRoyal22 Find it strange Taylor got 90 minutes and Federici did not get any over the weekend..

Feds isn't no.1 - I find that arousingly good news.

scumbag

by scumbag » 28 Jul 2013 22:34

Libertine Well being a tough away game we gave it a go and almost fought back to get a draw. Tbf I was not expecting we would get anything from such a difficult game against a talented and well organized side.

:lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Jul 2013 22:36

It's amazing how quickly our "best winger" changes.

I think Kebe, Drenthe and McAnuff have shown a higher level of quality over time than HRK and McCleary have so far. I don't think it is wise to suddenly declare that one of the latter two is "our best winger" whenever they have a good game. I think all five are excellent Championship wingers, but from what I've seen Kebe and McAnuff are a class above, and Drenthe certainly is if he can recreate his form from early in his career.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 28 Jul 2013 22:46

McCleary and Obita have been our best wingers so far this pre-season, but I doubt either will even be on the bench next Saturday

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Jul 2013 22:50

7 man bench, I'd be very surprised if, barring injury, McCleary doesn't make it. We're likely to select three of our nominal wingers plus two subs who can play in one of those three roles.

lolwut

by lolwut » 28 Jul 2013 23:56

http://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/match-report-versus-reading-x1/

Boreham Wood highlights if anyone is interested.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 29 Jul 2013 10:12

SCIAG It's amazing how quickly our "best winger" changes.

I think Kebe, Drenthe and McAnuff have shown a higher level of quality over time than HRK and McCleary have so far. I don't think it is wise to suddenly declare that one of the latter two is "our best winger" whenever they have a good game. I think all five are excellent Championship wingers, but from what I've seen Kebe and McAnuff are a class above, and Drenthe certainly is if he can recreate his form from early in his career.

Its more the case of different people voicing their own opinions, its not the given fact as Judge Drenthe speaks for himself. As a reading supporter I have seen the best of Mcanuff and Kebe, less so McCleary and we all know the pedigree of Drenthe so he won't have to show much for people to say he is class but I'm sure he is. If I had watched a lot of Mccleary's games at forest before he arrived I could make a better call but I don't think we have seen the best of him. I think kebe is the best winger but remember that's just my opinion not fact but looking at the age of McCleary and more so HRK that will inevitably change plus. I like Mcanuff a lot but a class above, sorry but I don't think so.

Blueroyal, if McCleary doesn't at least make the bench I will be shocked. I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion given that he was a regular towards the end of last season and how he is playing at the moment. You must have inside info

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 29 Jul 2013 10:14

SCIAG 7 man bench, I'd be very surprised if, barring injury, McCleary doesn't make it. We're likely to select three of our nominal wingers plus two subs who can play in one of those three roles.

Is the Championship back up to a 7 man bench this season? I missed that one somewhere in the melee of new stuff.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 29 Jul 2013 10:57

West Stand Man
SCIAG 7 man bench, I'd be very surprised if, barring injury, McCleary doesn't make it. We're likely to select three of our nominal wingers plus two subs who can play in one of those three roles.

Is the Championship back up to a 7 man bench this season? I missed that one somewhere in the melee of new stuff.

Yeh came back last season.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Jul 2013 11:02

Pre-season results mean absolutely nothing. Not interested in the slightest.

Bit perplexed people saying McCleary won't be in the squad for Ipswich though. Bet he plays.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Jul 2013 11:40

Maguire Pre-season results mean absolutely nothing. Not interested in the slightest.

I keep telling myself that. Wish I'd listen.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Jul 2013 11:51

SCIAG It's amazing how quickly our "best winger" changes.

agreed- massive lol @
McCleary is by far and away our best winger

hes good. he may now, or in future be our best winger. its hard to quantify.
peronally i think kebe is the best, with mcanuff, HRK and mcleary at about the same level just below.
to say far and away is daft imo

354 posts