Nigel Adkins

140 posts
MytchettSaint

Nigel Adkins

by MytchettSaint » 28 Aug 2013 22:35

Hi all,

Sorry for poking my nose in but thought I'd read your board and see what your take was on last night and how Nigel was being received.

Got to be honest I wasn't surprised when I saw you'd been beaten but was by how much. It reminded me of Leeds away in this cup last season for us. Most Saints fans still have steam coming out of their ears over that result/performance/team selection but it seems NA doesn't take this comp at all seriously. I wouldn't let this cloud your judgement too much. I read on another thread about the time it's taking to change the footballing philosophy at Reading and again it sounds like the same discussions we had when he'd been with us for a couple of months, I remember watching a game against Oldham at home in league one thinking 'christ what the foook is going on here' but to be fair to him he came good when he'd got his team playing his way. I was gutted when he was sacked back in January but now I think he'd perhaps made to many silly mistakes in the top league that he got away with a season earlier. I still want him to succeed as he was a genuinely nice and passionate guy at our place as well as successful so I hope he's a success with you lot. Be good personally to have that close by game again on our fixture list.

Peace and Love.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Nigel Adkins

by Lower West » 28 Aug 2013 22:39

Sure he'll come good.

The players have to take responsibility for much of last night's performance.

A strong Peterborough team might give Sunderland a few problems.......

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Aug 2013 22:40

The vast majority of the fans are behind him I should think. We played some cracking stuff against Watford & should have comfortably beaten Bolton so not too concerned at this stage.

You need to break some eggs to make a omelette after all.

I point the finger at the players more after that horror show last night! Utterly gutless.

MytchettSaint

by MytchettSaint » 28 Aug 2013 22:49

Lower West Sure he'll come good.

Not if Sunderland have Lee Mason playing for them as ref again like last Saturday!!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 28 Aug 2013 22:54

We have a few idiots on here who are just waiting for that next mistake ready to point the finger at RFC. There are, actually, some pretty decent and intelligent people who follow RFC though who actually understand that it takes time to change a club playing philosophy successfully provided you don't change too much too soon. Personally speaking I'm behind the manager because not only is he starting to introduce a good, pleasing on the eye passing style not seen in these parts for some considerable time but also because, now at least, he's doing it while getting reasonable results....last night excepted.

MytchettSaint

by MytchettSaint » 28 Aug 2013 23:03

handbags_harris We have a few idiots on here who are just waiting for that next mistake ready to point the finger at RFC. There are, actually, some pretty decent and intelligent people who follow RFC though who actually understand that it takes time to change a club playing philosophy successfully provided you don't change too much too soon. Personally speaking I'm behind the manager because not only is he starting to introduce a good, pleasing on the eye passing style not seen in these parts for some considerable time but also because, now at least, he's doing it while getting reasonable results....last night excepted.

You get that at all clubs, Not just Reading.

NA will come good for you but it will take time and players to move out & in before he gets it how he wants.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 28 Aug 2013 23:08

Nice to have another fan's views, thanks Mytchittsaint. I have to confess I am pretty underwhelmed so far with Nigel Adkins but I'm also pretty underwhelmed at the lack of funding he appears to be getting for new players (although I obviously don't know what's going on behind the scenes). Adkins' record speaks for itself and it's my feeling that patience is needed and his appointment will be a successful one. However, patience comes in pretty short supply from Reading fans, who, I guess, are pretty much the same as most fans in this regard.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Aug 2013 23:11

handbags_harris We have a few idiots on here who are just waiting for that next mistake ready to point the finger at RFC. There are, actually, some pretty decent and intelligent people who follow RFC though who actually understand that it takes time to change a club playing philosophy successfully provided you don't change too much too soon. Personally speaking I'm behind the manager because not only is he starting to introduce a good, pleasing on the eye passing style not seen in these parts for some considerable time but also because, now at least, he's doing it while getting reasonable results....last night excepted.

Agreed.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 28 Aug 2013 23:21

This

But I do hope he's getting the funding that we need as let's face it we need more quality players

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 29 Aug 2013 07:51

Having 6 (six) put past you by a lower division club in the League Cup gives HNA something to discuss even if some of the posts in some of the threads are over the top and reactive to the loss.

Last time we didn’t make it back to the Premier League at the first attempt under Coppell so Adkins can hopefully go one better this season and write his name in Reading’s history books just as Steve Coppell and Brian McDermott have done before him!!

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 29 Aug 2013 09:30

Lower West Sure he'll come good.

Play like we did on Tuesday and a weak Posh team will give us a lot of problems.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 29 Aug 2013 09:39

Anyone who watched the first half performance against Watford should be concurring with this!!! I really was impressed with the team and I have not said that for a very long time!!!

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 29 Aug 2013 09:44

This.

HNA is full of drama queens, hence why there have been several OTT threads made since our defeat at Peterborough.

I wish those pessimists would have patience.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Aug 2013 09:52

Admittedly not seen a game yet this season but reports and results suggest we look alright. Not sure why a second string cup defeat has made everyone go mental.

Actually I do know why. They're idiots.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 29 Aug 2013 10:05

I wasn't there. I am sure it was an atrocious performance. As I wasn't there, you can only rely on feedback and stats. The stats in terms of possession and shots at goal where actually OK and certainly not what you would see in a 'typical' 4-0/5-0/6-0... So, I am not going to panic if that's cool.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 Aug 2013 10:32

loyalroyal4life

Anyone who watched the first half performance against Watford should be concurring with this!!! I really was impressed with the team and I have not said that for a very long time!!!

We did play really well that half, and if we used those tactics more often we would be more successful!

It was the perfect combination marrying attractive passing with direct intent - and the two strikers up front made it impossible for their defense to settle.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 29 Aug 2013 12:42

MytchettSaint Hi all,

Sorry for poking my nose in but thought I'd read your board and see what your take was on last night and how Nigel was being received.

Got to be honest I wasn't surprised when I saw you'd been beaten but was by how much. It reminded me of Leeds away in this cup last season for us. Most Saints fans still have steam coming out of their ears over that result/performance/team selection but it seems NA doesn't take this comp at all seriously. I wouldn't let this cloud your judgement too much. I read on another thread about the time it's taking to change the footballing philosophy at Reading and again it sounds like the same discussions we had when he'd been with us for a couple of months, I remember watching a game against Oldham at home in league one thinking 'christ what the foook is going on here' but to be fair to him he came good when he'd got his team playing his way. I was gutted when he was sacked back in January but now I think he'd perhaps made to many silly mistakes in the top league that he got away with a season earlier. I still want him to succeed as he was a genuinely nice and passionate guy at our place as well as successful so I hope he's a success with you lot. Be good personally to have that close by game again on our fixture list.

Peace and Love.

Nice to read a rare interesting post with some insight on here. All the best this season, hope Saints build on last year.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Aug 2013 12:43

MytchettSaint how Nigel was being received.

Not very well.

MytchettSaint

by MytchettSaint » 29 Aug 2013 13:50

floyd__streete
MytchettSaint how Nigel was being received.

Not very well.

It took him a while to win people over when he was with us, myself included.

I hope also for you lot he's stopped making some of those mind baffling multi substitutions he suffered from with us.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 29 Aug 2013 13:57

MytchettSaint Hi all,

Peace and Love.

Unfortunately Nigel has been left a load a dross which he has began weeding out. However some of these are on high wages such as the Pog and cant be moved on easily. I am more concerned in case Nigel walks rather than if it works out as I'm sure it will over time. He cant make a purse from a pigs ear.

I am for one slightly envious of your team with players like Lallana and Cork capable of becoming top players but at Southampton moving forwards. We had one of these type of players, and subsequently flogged him :cry: (Gylfi) :cry:

140 posts