1 Swallow

276 posts
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: 1 Swallow

by P!ssed Off » 23 Sep 2013 15:11

NewCorkSeth
P!ssed Off
NewCorkSeth I genuinely am comvinced he is reading everything we say on this judging by his reaction (could have been the boos too) and I'm not sure his up yours to the fans was particularly warranted.. Fans are always fickle I was less than a year ago people were hating on Pearce and nobody is going to question his passion for the club (loving his celebrations btw) I think Blackman took himself a step further down the line in not being given many chances by the fans. Before anyone says it I am not condoning booing your own players. Unless its Mills. Boo him.

:?
Pearce still hasn't redeemed himself in my eyes.
It's highly unlikely he'll ever 100% regain the love from the fans.

Well.. then ignore everything I said! I might not have grasped the finer points of what was going on with him but I understood it to be that he was on a (in the region of) 5,000£ a week contract and, after the cracker of a season he had just had, wanted a much larger contract as a reward for his form and dedication? If this is correct do we not like him because he went about getting a new contract in the wrong way? Because Theo Walcott did that and I doubt many Gooners have not forgiven him.

Not sure you have grasped the finer points tbh.
It's blatantly obvious to most observers that he tried to ditch the club that had nurtured him for a decade, where he was on course for the captaincy and perhaps legendary status.
Only he found out that his perspective employees weren't actually that interested so he decided to return with his tail between his legs.
Any way, we've been over this in detail before so let's not continue this particular debate.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Sep 2013 15:14

P!ssed Off
It's blatantly obvious to most observers that he tried to ditch the club that had nurtured him for a decade, where he was on course for the captaincy and perhaps legendary status.
Only he found out that his perspective employees weren't actually that interested so he decided to return with his tail between his legs.
Any way, we've been over this in detail before so let's not continue this particular debate.

Would you perhaps like to debate something else? I am master of debate. My friends call me master bater which I believe is some kind of slang for my legendary reasoning and argument skills.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Sep 2013 15:15

This thread has at least reminded me of my favourite Steps song.

I know you're somewhere else right now
Loving someone else no doubt
And I'm one for sorrow
Aint it too, too bad
About us

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 23 Sep 2013 15:17

NewCorkSeth
P!ssed Off

Would you perhaps like to debate something else? I am master of debate. My friends call me master bater which I believe is some kind of slang for my legendary reasoning and argument skills.

No.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Sep 2013 17:09

P!ssed Off Not sure you have grasped the finer points tbh.

Or....relatively key player with a long career behind him is undervalued by his club becuase he's come through the ranks and hasn't needed to be lured away from another. He plays hard ball with the club knowing he's got the potential to earn more elsewhere and ends up with a contract worthy of his ability and status at the club.

I've no real issue with Pearce conduct myself.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Sep 2013 17:59

P!ssed Off
NewCorkSeth I genuinely am comvinced he is reading everything we say on this judging by his reaction (could have been the boos too) and I'm not sure his up yours to the fans was particularly warranted.. Fans are always fickle I was less than a year ago people were hating on Pearce and nobody is going to question his passion for the club (loving his celebrations btw) I think Blackman took himself a step further down the line in not being given many chances by the fans. Before anyone says it I am not condoning booing your own players. Unless its Mills. Boo him.

:?
Pearce still hasn't redeemed himself in my eyes.
It's highly unlikely he'll ever 100% regain the love from the fans.

I fooking love him. His celebrations are awesome.

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 23 Sep 2013 18:12

melonhead You've no idea who youre messing with. I know the kung fu and will snap you like a desiccated twig

Ahhh... so you want fight do you?... your Kung Fu is no match for my 'Who Flung Dung'

MeMeMe

Re: Nick Blackman

by MeMeMe » 23 Sep 2013 18:15

P!ssed Off The formatting of your post has left me baffled.

And there is a thread for Blackman, it's the one named after Melonhead's favourite sexual act and involves him flirting with a fella called MeMeMe. :o

What makes you think i'm a fella.. might be a very nice well to do lady or anything in between.... Berkshire and Thailand

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 23 Sep 2013 21:08

P!ssed Off perspective employees

Someone you pay to differentiate between the small and the far away?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Sep 2013 22:33

I have only ever booed one of our players on one occasion and that was towards Shorey's first spell with us when he very visibly displayed disdain towards supporters and the team's plight.

At the same time it's also true that I have hardly been a fan of Blackman, although I did genuinely applaud his contribution during the Leeds game and at the point that he was substituted. I do also recognise that the circumstances in which he was signed, the sizeable fee paid, his repeated selection and the position he was asked to play in were all outside of his direct control.

IMO whilst Blackman's reaction may be very understandable that doesn't make it acceptable or indeed sensible.

I really hope that Blackman posesses an incredible amount of self-belief/self-confidence because he is likely to need it even more now that he has decided to react towards the fans in this manner.

Reality is that he did not have a great start to his time with the club in terms of his apparent contribution and general level of ability displayed on the pitch. Those who were already on his back will be even quicker to pick up on every single mistake now.

I really hope that Adkins has had a word in his ear regarding the stupidity of his reaction and the benefits, to him and the team in general, of trying to win supporters over, rather than antagonising them.

Pog has hardly had a great relationship with supporters and has received plenty of stick on here and during games. His reaction on Saturday was far more sensible, forgetting the past stick from supporters, fully joining in with their celebrations and expressing his pleasure over the fact that the supporters were now singing about their Russian striker.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 23 Sep 2013 22:46

^ Excellent post. Sums the whole situation up perfectly. And I for one hope the fans who weren't at Derby (and will be 99% of those who boo him just for turning up nowadays) see Pog's reaction to Saturday's game and realise that with a bit of backing he can be a very important player for us this season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Sep 2013 22:55

TBH I doubt anyone at the club has even noticed his alleged reaction or could give a toss. Storm in a teacup.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 23 Sep 2013 23:58

Pseud O'Nym
P!ssed Off perspective employees

Someone you pay to differentiate between the small and the far away?

:oops:
Too old to edit as well.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 24 Sep 2013 09:01

Ian Royal TBH I doubt anyone at the club has even noticed his alleged reaction or could give a toss. Storm in a teacup.

Then those at the club are blind and/or stupid. It will not be a storm in a teacup if, as a consequence of his antagonistic reaction to the fans, the boo boys now really go for him and completely destroy the confidence of a £500k? signing.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 24 Sep 2013 09:39

RoyalBlue I have only ever booed one of our players on one occasion and that was towards Shorey's first spell with us when he very visibly displayed disdain towards supporters and the team's plight.

At the same time it's also true that I have hardly been a fan of Blackman, although I did genuinely applaud his contribution during the Leeds game and at the point that he was substituted. I do also recognise that the circumstances in which he was signed, the sizeable fee paid, his repeated selection and the position he was asked to play in were all outside of his direct control.

IMO whilst Blackman's reaction may be very understandable that doesn't make it acceptable or indeed sensible.

I really hope that Blackman posesses an incredible amount of self-belief/self-confidence because he is likely to need it even more now that he has decided to react towards the fans in this manner.

Reality is that he did not have a great start to his time with the club in terms of his apparent contribution and general level of ability displayed on the pitch. Those who were already on his back will be even quicker to pick up on every single mistake now.

I really hope that Adkins has had a word in his ear regarding the stupidity of his reaction and the benefits, to him and the team in general, of trying to win supporters over, rather than antagonising them.

Pog has hardly had a great relationship with supporters and has received plenty of stick on here and during games. His reaction on Saturday was far more sensible, forgetting the past stick from supporters, fully joining in with their celebrations and expressing his pleasure over the fact that the supporters were now singing about their Russian striker.

+1

I've always liked Blackman and really thought he'd come good this season, but a lot of his performances have been woeful. Fans get on his back because of that and it then becomes a descending spiral where he loses confidence because he's worried about the fans reaction.

He'll get a lot easier ride that at many other clubs but the only way to turn things around is to perform better, and scoring a goal is a great way to do that. So his reaction to scoring was IMHO very stupid.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Sep 2013 10:45

Croydon Royal ^ Excellent post. Sums the whole situation up perfectly. And I for one hope the fans who weren't at Derby (and will be 99% of those who boo him just for turning up nowadays) see Pog's reaction to Saturday's game and realise that with a bit of backing he can be a very important player for us this season.

surely after saturday and the post game interviews hes already put all of it behind him
no one could fail to be slightly impressed with the feeling on show.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Sep 2013 10:46

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal TBH I doubt anyone at the club has even noticed his alleged reaction or could give a toss. Storm in a teacup.

Then those at the club are blind and/or stupid. It will not be a storm in a teacup if, as a consequence of his antagonistic reaction to the fans, the boo boys now really go for him and completely destroy the confidence of a £500k? signing.

lol- you mean go for him more than booing and jeering every time he arrives on, or leaves the pitch?

get over yourselves.

the nasty man looked at us! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 24 Sep 2013 11:28

blueroyals He didn't even need a goal as an excuse to hit back at the fans who have treated him like shit for the last 8 months. Don't blame him.

This!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 24 Sep 2013 12:28

PieEater
RoyalBlue I have only ever booed one of our players on one occasion and that was towards Shorey's first spell with us when he very visibly displayed disdain towards supporters and the team's plight.

+1

I've always liked Blackman and really thought he'd come good this season, but a lot of his performances have been woeful. Fans get on his back because of that and it then becomes a descending spiral where he loses confidence because he's worried about the fans reaction.

He'll get a lot easier ride that at many other clubs but the only way to turn things around is to perform better, and scoring a goal is a great way to do that. So his reaction to scoring was IMHO very stupid.

No more stupid than the way the fans have been treating him.

Why do people expect footballers to behave like robots? Blackman isn't dumb or deaf, he feels the amount of abuse he's been getting, how would any of us react in the same situation? Yeah it probably wasn't the best course of action to take in hindsight...but in a high adrenaline/emotion scenario such as the end of a close football match it's not particularly easy to weigh up all the pros and cons.

It was an understandable reaction from a young man who's always put the effort in when he's been on the pitch yet has still had to bear more abuse than any other player this season.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 24 Sep 2013 12:41

winchester_royal
PieEater

+1

No more stupid than the way the fans have been treating him.

Why do people expect footballers to behave like robots? Blackman isn't dumb or deaf, he feels the amount of abuse he's been getting, how would any of us react in the same situation? Yeah it probably wasn't the best course of action to take in hindsight...but in a high adrenaline/emotion scenario such as the end of a close football match it's not particularly easy to weigh up all the pros and cons.

It was an understandable reaction from a young man who's always put the effort in when he's been on the pitch yet has still had to bear more abuse than any other player this season.

:shock: Why do we expect young, highly paid, professional sports people to behave differently from the average person?

Because they are exactly that: Young (or older), highly paid, professional sports persons.

I know sports persons competing at a lower professional/semi-professional level than Blackman and they would be expected to show far greater restraint in that sort of situation by their managers/coaches/clubs/teams.

With the privilege of being a top level sportsperson comes a much higher expectation of self control and professional conduct. Seems a pretty logical and fair expectation to me.

276 posts