Barnsley - in the car

Cypry

Re: Barnsley - in the car

by Cypry » 02 Oct 2013 00:53

Just got back to Reading.

We were pretty poor to be honest, and Barnsley looked far from relegation material.

All in all a draw is fair, we had our moments, but they were few and far between.

McCarthy - made a couple of decent saves, but his distribution is woeful....I found myself almost wishing Feds could get a couple of games at one point, I really don't think there's a great deal between them, and McCarthy will cost us at least one game this year if he keeps throwing the ball straight to the opposing strikers....
Gunter - had a good game again, looked just about our only threat when getting forward in the first half.
Pearce/Morrisson - pretty poor by their standards - Barnsley seemed to be able to cut through us at will at times...
Kelly - defensively Ok, but offered next to nothing going forward.
McCleary/HRK - neither produced a decent delivery all night. HRK marginally had the better game down to his goal.
Baird - poor game by his recent standards, provided little protection to the centre backs.
Guthrie - a good game, but prone to a few silly errors. Most of our good work was through him. Looked like he might have been struggling (injured?) when he came off.
ALF - had an OK game, should probably have scored in second half, but took one touch too many in my book. Was offside less than at the weekend.
Pog - another good game'. If we can keep him going like this, then he could go from zero to hero....

Akpan - made an immediate impact going forward, put ALF through for his chance.
McAnuff - looked rusty
Sharp - looked rusty

Can't believe how poor the attendance was - no atmosphere as a result (9084 the scoreboard showed I think).

Evening slightly marred by Scottish tosser who did nothing but moan about Pog (apparently we should be playing Sharp and ALF together), and then shouted for the ref to send McAnuff off when he wax booked - fortunately bloke in front of me took the initiative and told him to shut the oxf*rd up, but I was disappointed it didn't end in fisticuffs as it would probably have been more entertaining than the football.....

Back to Reading in well under three hours was a highlight..... 8)

Oh yeah, and getting a freebie courtesy of a comp ticket from Alex Pearce meant at least I didn't pay to watch that :D

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 02 Oct 2013 01:43

I did pay to watch that and to be honest we were lucky to come away with a point.

I know their keeper pulled off a couple of good saves and we hit the cross bar but our keeper was also pretty busy.

Thought Guthrie was poor and was not surprised to see him make way for Akpan who looked much more energetic. The midfield just did not work this evening and a vast improvement is required for Saturday

Having said that I dont think anybody came out of that game with any real credit. The only highlight was HRK firing one in from outside the box (Apart from that he was pretty dump too)

Oh and that ref!

How can he stop play when a Barnsley player is off the field of play (He flew over the side hoardings through his own fault) and we were attacking. Totally :?:

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 02 Oct 2013 09:06

Cypry Just got back to Reading.

We were pretty poor to be honest, and Barnsley looked far from relegation material.

All in all a draw is fair, we had our moments, but they were few and far between.

McCarthy - made a couple of decent saves, but his distribution is woeful....I found myself almost wishing Feds could get a couple of games at one point, I really don't think there's a great deal between them, and McCarthy will cost us at least one game this year if he keeps throwing the ball straight to the opposing strikers....

I don't understand your comment about throwing the ball to opposing strikers as to me the difference last night was that he stopped throwing the ball and kicked it most of the game (the 2 that went straight to Barnsley that I remember were kicks). The whole team seemed to have lost the flowing passing game that was looking promising on Saturday. All of them seemed to miss passes that they had made easily on Saturday. I hope that it is the old Reading way of playing in the guise of the opposition - if so Saturday will be much better as we will be playing the top team!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Oct 2013 09:08

Why does NA always seem to make changes around 70 minute mark to make us more defensive. Did it v Birmingham and did it again last night. Not good. Oh and we won't be the finished article until he can find an creative and attacking midfielder from somewhere.

Still at least we're making it hard for opponents but we're going have to be considerably better at Turf Moor than in either of or last two performances .

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 02 Oct 2013 09:14

Do we know whether Bridge was injured last night or baby thing?

Cypry

by Cypry » 02 Oct 2013 09:15

westendgirl

I don't understand your comment about throwing the ball to opposing strikers as to me the difference last night was that he stopped throwing the ball and kicked it most of the game (the 2 that went straight to Barnsley that I remember were kicks). The whole team seemed to have lost the flowing passing game that was looking promising on Saturday. All of them seemed to miss passes that they had made easily on Saturday. I hope that it is the old Reading way of playing in the guise of the opposition - if so Saturday will be much better as we will be playing the top team!

In hindsight, yes, they were both kicks - I think he threw it to an oppo in the Birmingham game - nonetheless, it doesn't change the fact that his distribution is rubbish. He has concentration lapses, very rarely plays a quick ball into the channels, and regularly hits the ball straight into touch, or so tight to the line it's hard for us to retain possession. Feds might make the odd error in shot stopping, but (in so far as a goalkeeper can) he offers a lot more going forward.....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Oct 2013 09:45

Cypry ...Feds might make the odd error in shot stopping, but (in so far as a goalkeeper can) he offers a lot more going forward.....

This is the same Federici who conceeded two or three goals last season by giving the ball to the opposition and was constantly criticised on here for kicking the ball out of touch too often.

I'd agree that his kicking is better than McCarthy's though, it's not enough to drop the superior keeper for though, especially when Adkins generally wants the keeper to give it short to the centre halfs.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 02 Oct 2013 09:46

Cypry
westendgirl

In hindsight, yes, they were both kicks - I think he threw it to an oppo in the Birmingham game - nonetheless, it doesn't change the fact that his distribution is rubbish. He has concentration lapses, very rarely plays a quick ball into the channels, and regularly hits the ball straight into touch, or so tight to the line it's hard for us to retain possession. Feds might make the odd error in shot stopping, but (in so far as a goalkeeper can) he offers a lot more going forward.....

Yep, definitely kicks to Barnsley last night, not throws

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Oct 2013 09:50

bottom line is IF we really have the goal to win the league ( at least top 2) it wont happen drawing away vs the current bottom club

Would you take 5 points from brum, barnsley and burnley?? I think 7 was more reasonable but we are on course for 4 (if we play like that we wont even get a point against clarets)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Oct 2013 10:02

loyalroyal4life bottom line is IF we really have the goal to win the league ( at least top 2) it wont happen drawing away vs the current bottom club

Of course it can. Over the course of the season we'll have some poor games, as long as we consistently pick up points away frmo home and continue to win the majority of our home games we'll be right up there.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 02 Oct 2013 10:14

Hoop Blah
loyalroyal4life bottom line is IF we really have the goal to win the league ( at least top 2) it wont happen drawing away vs the current bottom club

Of course it can. Over the course of the season we'll have some poor games, as long as we consistently pick up points away frmo home and continue to win the majority of our home games we'll be right up there.

Remember 2005/06? The two games we lost there were to Plymouth and Luton. Luton were relegated, and we were 2-0 up in that game too.

2011-12 we lost at relegated Pompey, drew at relegated Coventry, and drew at home to relegated Doncaster.

We have form in not taking maximum points against the bottom 3. Our record against the current bottom three is P3 (all away), W1 D2. 5 points out of 9. Not bad, but not disastrous either.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 02 Oct 2013 11:48

First half was really poor, played at a slow tempo and with Barnsley wanting it a lot more. Zero shots on target says it all.

When we came out for the second half my reaction was "What a good manager Adkins is after all..." He'd changed formation, so we had a diamond in midfield, with McCleary playing just behind the front two, Guthrie on the right, HRK on the left with Baird holding - and it really looked the business. For 15-20 minutes we looked so much better, and we were denying Barnsley the space down the flanks they'd been exploiting in the first half. We scored, looked in control and the only team likely to win.

But having found a winning formation, it was then dismantled. Guthrie was replaced by Akpan out right, and McCleary by Jobi (who played wide left, with HRK moving to the centre). From then on we looked clueless and holding on for dear life, happy to scrape a draw.

If the game had gone on for 10 minutes more we'd have lost, because Barnsley were playing all the football - we had 3 or 4 good chances to clear before the equaliser, which was passed around our box a few times without challenge. Gunter looked horribly exposed with Akpan in front of him and up front the forward line was completely non-functioning. When we did attack ALF missed a couple of decent chances, and towards the end no-one would take any responsibility - there was one decent attack when we kept possession and kept passing the ball around the edge of the Barnsley box without anyone doing anything except looking for someone else to pass to.

So for me a potential winning situation was thrown away by substitutions. I only hope that Guthrie and McCleary were injured, because to make substitutions like that for tactical reasons is absoluter folly, and got what it deserved.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Oct 2013 12:08

With the run of games we've had, his injury the other week, and Burnley away at the weekend the thinking was that Guthrie probably just needed a rest as he's played pretty much every minute so far hasn't he?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 02 Oct 2013 12:11

winchester_royal
One8Seven1
winchester_royal Hal was a positive though, back on form after a bad game on Saturday.

Really? His deliveries we terrible tonight. The goal shouldn't mask the fact he had a pretty poor performance by his previous (last seasons) standards.

Hold on....were you even at the game? :lol:

No he wasn't. Ian Royal like reporting there from Jay.

Esteban

by Esteban » 02 Oct 2013 12:18

Alexander Litvinenko I only hope that Guthrie and McCleary were injured, because to make substitutions like that for tactical reasons is absoluter folly, and got what it deserved.

Wasn't there, but they said on the radio that Guthrie had to be helped get his shirt off, so I think it was a precaution due to his shoulder injury. McLeary may have been a tactical change though.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Oct 2013 12:33

Alexander Litvinenko First half was really poor, played at a slow tempo and with Barnsley wanting it a lot more. Zero shots on target says it all.

When we came out for the second half my reaction was "What a good manager Adkins is after all..." He'd changed formation, so we had a diamond in midfield, with McCleary playing just behind the front two, Guthrie on the right, HRK on the left with Baird holding - and it really looked the business. For 15-20 minutes we looked so much better, and we were denying Barnsley the space down the flanks they'd been exploiting in the first half. We scored, looked in control and the only team likely to win.

But having found a winning formation, it was then dismantled. Guthrie was replaced by Akpan out right, and McCleary by Jobi (who played wide left, with HRK moving to the centre). From then on we looked clueless and holding on for dear life, happy to scrape a draw.

If the game had gone on for 10 minutes more we'd have lost, because Barnsley were playing all the football - we had 3 or 4 good chances to clear before the equaliser, which was passed around our box a few times without challenge. Gunter looked horribly exposed with Akpan in front of him and up front the forward line was completely non-functioning. When we did attack ALF missed a couple of decent chances, and towards the end no-one would take any responsibility - there was one decent attack when we kept possession and kept passing the ball around the edge of the Barnsley box without anyone doing anything except looking for someone else to pass to.

So for me a potential winning situation was thrown away by substitutions. I only hope that Guthrie and McCleary were injured, because to make substitutions like that for tactical reasons is absoluter folly, and got what it deserved.

'Greed, the substitutions completely changed the flow of the game. Tbf to Adkins though, Guthrie looked completely shot for most of the game...wouldn't be surprised if he's carrying a niggle.

I think the number of players we have out is stating to take its toll. The likes of Baird and Hal ideally wouldn't be playing 3 games in 7 days given their levels of match fitness. Lets hope Williams and Drenthe are back for Saturday.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Oct 2013 12:34

Bit off an odd dive by McCarthy for their goal. He was nowhere near it...

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Oct 2013 12:35

Brum Royal
Hoop Blah

Remember 2005/06? The two games we lost there were to Plymouth and Luton. Luton were relegated, and we were 2-0 up in that game too.

2011-12 we lost at relegated Pompey, drew at relegated Coventry, and drew at home to relegated Doncaster.

We have form in not taking maximum points against the bottom 3. Our record against the current bottom three is P3 (all away), W1 D2. 5 points out of 9. Not bad, but not disastrous either.

Luton finished 10th in 05/06. We were 3-1 down just after half time at Kenilworth Road that season and only got the second on 90 minutes.

We beat Doncaster Rovers 2-0 at home with goals from Church and Le Fondre (his first for the club).

Other than that, the point stands.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 02 Oct 2013 12:38

winchester_royal
Alexander Litvinenko First half was really poor, played at a slow tempo and with Barnsley wanting it a lot more. Zero shots on target says it all.

'Greed, the substitutions completely changed the flow of the game. Tbf to Adkins though, Guthrie looked completely shot for most of the game...wouldn't be surprised if he's carrying a niggle.

I think the number of players we have out is stating to take its toll. The likes of Baird and Hal ideally wouldn't be playing 3 games in 7 days given their levels of match fitness. Lets hope Williams and Drenthe are back for Saturday.

Fair point. So what it really exposes is how weak our squad is and how little cover we have. Akpan just looked completely out of his depth when he came on - and even worse playing wide right. Why bring him on the play out of position wide right midfield when you have Obita on the bench is way beyond me.....

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 02 Oct 2013 12:41

Brum Royal Remember 2005/06? The two games we lost there were to Plymouth and Luton. Luton were relegated, and we were 2-0 up in that game too.

Early Alzheimers setting in?