HNA approval/disapproval of NA

418 posts

how long should we keep nigel adkins as manager?

get rid of now, his tactics are weak and we can do better
16%
give him till the end of december, then we will see where we are
4%
give him time to make signings in january and we will assess in march
6%
give him till the end of the season, he deserves a full season to show what he can do
44%
i am currently happy with our position in the table and the quality of football we are playing. this shouldnt be a discussion
20%
other
9%

Total votes: 232
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: HNA approval/disapproval of NA

by Royalee » 07 Dec 2013 19:43

P!ssed Off
Royalee We've lost to two teams in the entire bottom half of the league so not where 'consistently' comes from. Just checked Leicester's results they've lost to Charlton, Doncaster and Sheffield Wednesday so nice try. :lol:

Strangely enough I don't base my opinion of a match solely on W/D/L...

Well done, you base it on performances by the team of a new manager with a squad he's inherited without 5 of its starting 11 missing instead. :lol:

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 07 Dec 2013 19:43

well to be fair with karacan injured that gives us a lot less options in the middle and we can hardly play the 4-2-3-1 that NA likes to play. bridge and morro are half of our starting back line and without them we have to resort to medicore options (gorkks, cummings, kelly not in his natural position). drenthe and williams just came back after nearly 2 months of being injured, this also gave us a lot less options and we couldnt play the formation that NA likes to play. now baird is injured too when he was supposed to be our backup option to karacan and williams injuries. so a lot of time with main injuries to the squad that gave our manager less options and more frustration when selecting sides and making substitutions. im not saying injuries are to account for all our misfortune and mistakes but it is certainly not helping. with drenthe and williams back we should be able to see an improvement in form, if not we should start worrying.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Dec 2013 19:44

P!ssed Off
What's a oxf*rd nonsense argument is Stoke beat Chelsea so it's acceptable for Reading to be consistently shit against crap teams.

Mate seriously.. How could we be consistently shit against crap teams any more than any other of the teams in the Championship. It's 19 games in and were 8 points from the top! Look at the table and stop talking utter shite.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Dec 2013 19:47

P!ssed Off
Royalee
P!ssed Off
Injuries might stop us beating the top teams.
But we're losing, drawing, and winning poorly against terrible teams, where even with 5 or 6 injuries we have a squad capable of comfortably winning.

...and beating sides like Forest and Derby too. Football's not black and white, if it was then Sheffield Wednesday wouldn't beat Leicester and Stoke wouldn't beat Chelsea - absolute nonsense argument.

What's a oxf*rd nonsense argument is Stoke beat Chelsea so it's acceptable for Reading to be consistently shit against crap teams.

So true, but unfortunately there's no reasoning with lichen mate

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 07 Dec 2013 19:50

We're 6th in the league with an injury list which would ruin must clubs' seasons

What Morrison - dodgy or OK at best?
Karacan versus Williams or Baird? No thanks.
Bridge - OK - agree.
Roberts in place of Sharp, Le Fondre or Pog? Really?.

Who else please to make the excuses viable?

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Dec 2013 19:50

NewCorkSeth
P!ssed Off

Mate seriously.. How could we be consistently shit against crap teams any more than any other of the teams in the Championship. It's 19 games in and were 8 points from the top! Look at the table and stop talking utter shite.

I think what you are trying to say is we are pretty gash against all levels of opposition, in which case you would be correct Sir.
Last edited by Cureton's Volley on 07 Dec 2013 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 07 Dec 2013 19:51

We get rid of McDermott, which if I'm correct the majority wanted on this board, to change our style of football.

So we get Adkins, a manager who has had success with Scunthorpe & especially Saints, who is known for his brand of football AZ wants. Now everyone is saying he is useless and to get rid (when we've got a injury hit squad)??

Changing the whole style from McDermott's to our Nige's was never going to be done over 8 months, give him the season at least or longer.

Seems like some of our fans want a quick fix and aren't looking at the long term view.

Also, I went today and know how bad it was but still no need for panic stations.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 07 Dec 2013 19:52

royal_ross We get rid of McDermott, which if I'm correct the majority wanted on this board, to change our style of football.

So we get Adkins, a manager who has had success with Scunthorpe & especially Saints, who is known for his brand of football AZ wants. Now everyone is saying he is useless and to get rid (when we've got a injury hit squad)??

Changing the whole style from McDermott's to our Nige's was never going to be done over 8 months, give him the season at least or longer.

Seems like some of our fans want a quick fix and aren't looking at the long term view.

Also, I went today and know how bad it was but still no need for panic stations.

We looked no different to a McD team in the 2nd half though....

At least in the 1st half we tried to pass.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Dec 2013 19:53

Cureton's Volley
NewCorkSeth
P!ssed Off

I think what you are trying to say is we are pretty gash against all levels of opposition, in which yiu would be correct Sir.

My main point was the fact that there is only 8 points between us and the top team. If we are gash, then everyone in the league is gash

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Dec 2013 19:55

Pandoras Box
We're 6th in the league with an injury list which would ruin must clubs' seasons

What Morrison - dodgy or OK at best?
Karacan versus Williams or Baird? No thanks.
Bridge - OK - agree.
Roberts in place of Sharp, Le Fondre or Pog? Really?.

Who else please to make the excuses viable?

Baird, plus Williams and Drenthe were out for 2 and a half months (Drenthe's still not match fit either). I'm not a fan of Leigertwood but he's proven at this level and probably a better option than Akpan.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Dec 2013 19:56

royal_ross We get rid of McDermott, which if I'm correct the majority wanted on this board, to change our style of football.

Its not panic stations. It's disillusionment.

As for wanting McD out, I am not convinced that if the poll started again the result would be as strongly 'Nige' as it was at the time.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Dec 2013 20:02

NewCorkSeth
Cureton's Volley
NewCorkSeth Mate seriously.. How could we be consistently shit against crap teams any more than any other of the teams in the Championship. It's 19 games in and were 8 points from the top! Look at the table and stop talking utter shite.

I think what you are trying to say is we are pretty gash against all levels of opposition, in which yiu would be correct Sir.

My main point was the fact that there is only 8 points between us and the top team. If we are gash, then everyone in the league is gash

I agree with you. Everyone is gash.

What sets champions apart in this league is a manager who puts pragmatism over personal pride, togetherness over oneupmanship, trust over tinkering.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 07 Dec 2013 20:04

USA_Loyal_Royal
P!ssed Off
USA_Loyal_Royal the style and quality of football has been better than in recent years.

Are you taking the piss?

i was referring to under BM and the hoofball he played.

You ARE taking the piss, I thought so.
Last edited by Man Friday on 07 Dec 2013 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 07 Dec 2013 20:05

MmmMonsterMunch

We looked no different to a McD team in the 2nd half though....

At least in the 1st half we tried to pass.

I agree although I would give Adkins time to change it. His record speaks for itself. I absolutely loved Brian and what he did for us but I feel some fans won't accept Adkins over McDermott. Ask any Southampton fans what they thought about him when he first came to them.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 07 Dec 2013 20:06

Royalee 6th in the table not even half way through the season having inherited MORE THAN SIX MONTHS AGO (WITH A PRE-SEASON IN-BETWEEN) a team devoid of confidence with 5 first team starters out injured for long periods of time. Yeah he's shit, sack him. :roll:

YOU CAN'T KEEP PEDDLING THE EXCUSES. IN FACT THEY PROBABLY RAN OUT A FEW MONTHS AGO.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 07 Dec 2013 20:14

USA_Loyal_Royal
P!ssed Off
USA_Loyal_Royal the style and quality of football has been better than in recent years.

Are you taking the piss?

i was referring to under BM and the hoofball he played.

Are you referring to the same hoofball we played under Coppell? Premubly you didn't like that much either?

The current 'style' is as bad as I've ever seen it. And that includes Branfoot. At least he had a defined tactic.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 07 Dec 2013 20:27

NewCorkSeth
P!ssed Off

Incorrect.
Against the bottom half we have taken 16 points from 10 games. 1.6 points per game.
Against the top half we have taken 15 points from 9 games. 1.66 points per game.

Even if you formulate your opinion solely on W/D/L we have still been below par against the bottom half of the league.

It is common sense that a team should be better against weaker teams, than against good teams.
Here are the results of the top 3 teams {Burnley, QPR and Leicester} bottom half vs top half:

Burnley vs Bottom half: 22 points from 10 games = 2.2 points per game
Burnley vs Top half: 17 points from 9 games = 1.88 points per game

QPR vs Bottom half: 27 points from 12 games = 2.25 points per game
QPR vs Top half: 12 points from 7 games = 1.71 points per game

Leicester vs Bottom half: 24 points from 11 games = 2.18 points per game
Leicester vs Top half: 14 points from 8 games = 1.75 points per game

Do you still think I am talking utter shite?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 07 Dec 2013 20:35

If the same fans who believe TSI have pulled their investment want Adkins sacked, who is paying him off?

Adkins is a proven manager at this level. Four promotions in his relatively short managerial career proves the guy knows how to build a decent team! The problem is he inherited a very average workmanlike squad, didn't get the funds he was promised, and is struggling to find a system that works for what he's got. He knows what he wants from them, but he's clearly not getting it.

I'd be happy to see the guy stick around for as long as he wants to be here.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Dec 2013 20:45

P!ssed Off
NewCorkSeth
P!ssed Off

Incorrect.
Against the bottom half we have taken 16 points from 10 games. 1.6 points per game.
Against the top half we have taken 15 points from 9 games. 1.66 points per game.

Even if you formulate your opinion solely on W/D/L we have still been below par against the bottom half of the league.

It is common sense that a team should be better against weaker teams, than against good teams.
Here are the results of the top 3 teams {Burnley, QPR and Leicester} bottom half vs top half:

Burnley vs Bottom half: 22 points from 10 games = 2.2 points per game
Burnley vs Top half: 17 points from 9 games = 1.88 points per game

QPR vs Bottom half: 27 points from 12 games = 2.25 points per game
QPR vs Top half: 12 points from 7 games = 1.71 points per game

Leicester vs Bottom half: 24 points from 11 games = 2.18 points per game
Leicester vs Top half: 14 points from 8 games = 1.75 points per game

Do you still think I am talking utter shite?

Short answer? Yes. Absolutely.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 07 Dec 2013 20:47

Those stats just prove what we all know. We are inconsistent and do not know what we're going to see from one match to the next regardless of the oppo.

418 posts