44%
Other
9%

Total votes: 103
AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian or Nigel

by AirRaidSiren » 28 Dec 2013 17:42

sandman If David Moyes wasn't hand picked by Ferguson I doubt he would've been allowed as much leeway as he has had so far.

Change is fine if it is something that evolves naturally. If it's because of some foolish ideal then you have a problem.

Take it you wouldn't have players with the quality of Long and Sigurdsson given the chance?

Isn't sacking and hiring natural in football? Sacking, hiring, buying and letting people go is an evolution in football. Fans like you are like a jellyfish in evolution, you haven't evolved in <place a number here>years. Or can't evolve.

The thing that some of you lemon suckers forget is that Reading football club is bigger than any individual. So, I will continue to pledge my allegiance to Reading football club, like I have my entire life.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Dec 2013 18:16

Man Friday We're just expressing unnecessary change that's actually been for the worse.

Unnecessary? Seems to me that people have forgotten how quickly the team was plummeting in the latter days of Brian's reign. Performances on the pitch were dreadful, most importantly in the key games against our relegation 'rivals'.

And as for 'he was the man to bring us back up', if the even greater Sir Steve Coppell couldn't achieve that with a much more talented squad, then I think that faith may well have proven to have been misplaced.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 28 Dec 2013 18:26

Sould we not have one of these threads for Nigel or Pards, or maybe Nigel or Burns, or maybe Nigel or Mansell, or even Nigel or Roy Bentley , jesus christ McDermott has gone, for god sake get over it and get over living in the past !

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 28 Dec 2013 18:29

semtex1871
Man Friday We're just expressing unnecessary change that's actually been for the worse.

I suppose you think that David Moyes should be sacked by Man U rather than given time.... :roll:

Stop moaning and start supporting.....

is that a comparison between Nigel Adkins and David Moyes?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Dec 2013 19:10

howser Sould we not have one of these threads for Nigel or Pards, or maybe Nigel or Burns, or maybe Nigel or Mansell, or even Nigel or Roy Bentley , jesus christ McDermott has gone, for god sake get over it and get over living in the past !

Agreed. Now start realising that in the present we have a manager who doesn't fit the club and will fail in the future. Stop living in the past and mentioning his achievements at other clubs.
Last edited by sandman on 28 Dec 2013 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Dec 2013 19:14

sandman
howser Sould we not have one of these threads for Nigel or Pards, or maybe Nigel or Burns, or maybe Nigel or Mansell, or even Nigel or Roy Bentley , jesus christ McDermott has gone, for god sake get over it and get over living in the past !

Agreed. Now start realising that in the present we have a manager who doesn't fit at the club and will fail.

Who do you suggest then? You decided immediately you didn't like him regardless of results.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 Dec 2013 19:16

I'm comfortable living in the future of another x years in the Championship. Great league, exciting, can get a ticket home & away when I want. Guaranteed to have more London clubs relegated from Prem next year. I just wish our manager and players really gave a shit, like our promotion team did (and for a few years previous). Too much to ask I know...

As for the mugs still dreaming of a 'brand of football which will ensure we are comfortable in the Premiership'... Who is more rattLOLed about what has (or has not) happened in the past? :lol:

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 28 Dec 2013 19:34

Imagine if the powers that be at RFC actually listened to you moaning gimps and got rid of Atkins.....

....who would you want to replace him (new managers only - not old ones we got rid of!)

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Dec 2013 19:40

semtex1871 Imagine if the powers that be at RFC actually listened to you moaning gimps and got rid of Atkins.....

....who would you want to replace him (new managers only - not old ones we got rid of!)

Exactly. Same old whining about the same old sh1t yet nothing remotely productive or useful to say.

"I want Brian back wah wah wah"

If you love him that much, fcuk off & support Leeds. Getting tedious now.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 Dec 2013 19:47

Define 'productive or useful' in the context of this discussion and I'll see what I can muster. Simply discussing the title of the thread. If it bores you then simply read another one :arrow:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Dec 2013 19:52

Cureton's Volley Define 'productive or useful' in the context of this discussion and I'll see what I can muster. Simply discussing the title of the thread. If it bores you then simply read another one :arrow:

Good point - I'll go to the other thread where you are harping on about Brian too :wink:

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 28 Dec 2013 20:03

MmmMonsterMunch
semtex1871 Imagine if the powers that be at RFC actually listened to you moaning gimps and got rid of Atkins.....

Exactly. Same old whining about the same old sh1t yet nothing remotely productive or useful to say.

"I want Brian back wah wah wah"

If you love him that much, fcuk off & support Leeds. Getting tedious now.

It was getting tedious months ago.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 28 Dec 2013 21:07

The reason half of us are moaning is because Brian should have never been sacked. Madejski said himself at the time he wouldn't have sacked Brian. Anton was being the smarmy cnut he is at the start, then sacked McD, now he's fecked off.
Even if Nigel sorted things out and got established, who's to say he won't be treated the same way?
Revolving doors have never been a part of Reading. We've always been a small, stable (ish) club. We're not Chelsea, no matter how much the new RFC fans want us to be. Where the feck were you on new years day, 1993 at home to York city when the game was so sh1t we spent the entire 90 mins caning one of their guys for wearing an anorak?
"Anorak, give us a wave, anorak anorak give us a wave"!
Then we went 1-0 up,
"Anorak, what's the score....
To be fair, he both waved and demonstrated the score while wearing an anorak in the pissing rain in our uncovered away end.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Dec 2013 21:13

It is the change/evolution that was promised and what many on here crave.

But AZ remains the weasel that was never going to deliver.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 Dec 2013 23:24

marcusopp The reason half of us are moaning is because Brian should have never been sacked. Madejski said himself at the time he wouldn't have sacked Brian. Anton was being the smarmy cnut he is at the start, then sacked McD, now he's fecked off.
Even if Nigel sorted things out and got established, who's to say he won't be treated the same way?
Revolving doors have never been a part of Reading. We've always been a small, stable (ish) club. We're not Chelsea, no matter how much the new RFC fans want us to be. Where the feck were you on new years day, 1993 at home to York city when the game was so sh1t we spent the entire 90 mins caning one of their guys for wearing an anorak?
Then we went 1-0 up,
To be fair, he both waved and demonstrated the score while wearing an anorak in the pissing rain in our uncovered away end.

^ This. Well put, Sir.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 29 Dec 2013 02:36

MmmMonsterMunch Exactly. Same old whining about the same old sh1t yet nothing remotely productive or useful to say.

MmmMonsterMunch If you love him that much, fcuk off & support Leeds. Getting tedious now.

Irony.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Dec 2013 02:51

Cureton's Volley
marcusopp The reason half of us are moaning is because Brian should have never been sacked. Madejski said himself at the time he wouldn't have sacked Brian. Anton was being the smarmy cnut he is at the start, then sacked McD, now he's fecked off.
Then we went 1-0 up,

^ This. Well put, Sir.

Yet again all this post is doing is moaning about the past & not looking forward to the future.

Lets just suppose for a second that every fan didn't want Brian sacked. Even if this were the case - he has been sacked. We are all fans of Reading FC therefore we should want the current boss to succeed no? Harking on about Brian continually does the current regime no favours whatsoever. It's not Adkins' fault Brian got the heave ho yet many on here write as if he were in cahoots with Anton to get rid of Brian.

Nigel himself has been at the end of very harsh footballing decisions after back to back promotions - he knows the game as well as anyone.

Look around you - managers come & go on a daily basis. It is now part & parcel of the game I'm afraid. RFC is generally one of the better ones in that respect. If you don't like it, can't accept it and If you are that disillusioned with the set up at RFC, owners, football in general, whatever - then vote with your feet & stop going.

If however, you want the club to do well then perhaps try giving Adkins a chance rather than writing him off when quite frankly he has a team of players he probably doesn't want....

I suspect if money wasn't an issue, that starting 11 would be ripped to shreds & we'd only see 3-4 of them next season. I am disappointed with our current performances same as all of us, but I think the guy should get at least a season / 2-3 transfer windows to build a team of his own so they can play the way he wants. To suggest he wants slow tempo, dull football is probably quite insulting to the guy in all honesty. Personally I believe he needs 2-3 of his own type of players to fully put his stamp on the club & he's not really had the chance to do that yet.

We know full well our team is full of 'triers' who make up for in effort what they lack in technical ability. In reality the roles probably need reversing & we need more technical ability. We are not comfortable on the ball at all even now & to point the finger at Adkins for that is fundamentally wrong. The 'Reading Way' has been to plug gaps where needed & make do. Years of that kind of strategy unfortunately gets you to a place where you don't actually have many technically good players.

I get he needs to understand the culture of the club & what makes the fans tick etc but that takes time & he isn't a 'Reading' man so it may take him a while longer.

If you cannot accept that he might need a bit of time to get things right here then frankly you are no better than the owners who sacked Brian in the first place. You can't have it both ways. If you wanted Brian to get time, then you should afford the same luxury to Nigel. And if you can't then you know what to do - don't go any more.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Dec 2013 02:55

Zana Badawi
MmmMonsterMunch Exactly. Same old whining about the same old sh1t yet nothing remotely productive or useful to say.

MmmMonsterMunch If you love him that much, fcuk off & support Leeds. Getting tedious now.

Irony.

I thought it was pretty good advice.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Dec 2013 07:48

Well done to mmmcookies for eschewing the traditional "fcuk off and support Chelsea" and coming up with the thrillingly original "fcuk off and support Leeds".

Perhaps he could take his own advice and just fcuk off.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 29 Dec 2013 10:31

I don't understand this hate for Adkins, because if McDermott was still in charge we would be giving him the benefit of the 'relegation hangover'.

It's one of our best starts for many years, he's not had a chance to bring in his own players, he's inherited a squad that's in a transitional phase and clearly he's battling against some boardroom issues.

Just because he's not got us passing fluently yet that doesn't mean he won't. I just think people's expectations are too high, it will take over a year for us to be fluid.