13%
Ownership
20%
Other
6%

Total votes: 160
glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

Re: What's to blame?

by glass half full » 04 Jan 2014 18:11

glass half full
ZacNaloen
SPARTA Players and a mix of bad attitudes in the squad.

Drenthe today a good example, arguing with Crosby when he was asked to pick up his marker. Adkins has said players aren't doing what he asks, and there's an example of some players thinking they know better. Get these people out of our club ASAP, save on the ridiculous wages!

Quite.

If Adkins wants the players out there to play with zero urgency I'll eat my hat.

Doesn't follow from what his Scunthorpe and Southampton teams did.

agreed

jellytot

by jellytot » 04 Jan 2014 18:34

Drenthe today a good example, arguing with Crosby when he was asked to pick up his marker. Adkins has said players aren't doing what he asks, and there's an example of some players thinking they know better. Get these people out of our club ASAP, save on the ridiculous wages![/quote]

Quite.

If Adkins wants the players out there to play with zero urgency I'll eat my hat.

Doesn't follow from what his Scunthorpe and Southampton teams did.[/quote][/quote]

NA needs to get the players out of the club who are not doing what he wants and get his own players in.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2014 18:36

Is Samuelson still showing up at matches?

If so, maybe it's time that the supporters told him what they think of him, TSI and Zingarevich. :twisted:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jan 2014 18:41

I do think we need to give Adkins until at least mid-February to make it his team, otherwise sacking would be a tad harsh.

But then, that's provided he gets adequate funds in this month, and that's affected by the ownership issue.

It is a bit of a mess.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Jan 2014 18:44

Until mid february? fucking hell.

Coppell needed three years and we weren't exactly pulling up tree's early in his time with the club.

Adkins needs backing by the owners. Of which we basicallly have none because they all want out.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jan 2014 18:46

I'm not saying sack him in mid-February, I'm just saying consider his role if things are still the way they are, as he would've had a bit of time to add to the squad.

Unfortunately with football the way it is, I don't think he'll get even that much if results continue like this.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 Jan 2014 18:48

Poll is far too simplistic. It's clearly a mix of all of the options + fans + confidence + expectation.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2014 19:16

ZacNaloen Until mid february? fucking hell.

Coppell needed three years and we weren't exactly pulling up tree's early in his time with the club.

Adkins needs backing by the owners. Of which we basicallly have none because they all want out.

Exactly and have people forgotten how dire we were initially under McGhee when he also tried to change our football to a decent possession and passing style?

Talking of McGhee, it was interesting to hear what Gooding was saying today. Apparently when he and Jimmy Quinn took over from the FSB they decided that there was one thing they needed to change. They felt that McGhee had the team making far too many passes in their own half. They decided that they would change this, encourage the players to get the ball into the opponents' half as quickly as possible and then play the passing game to openup their defence and create opportunities. Their plan worked damn well too and would have got us into the PL but for a cheating McAteer and an incompetent ref at Wembley!

Perhaps Mick could have a word in Adkins ear as I think that very same change is what is needed now (plus a few decent signings).

Gooding for a coaching role at the Mad Stad!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 04 Jan 2014 19:42

Expectations are all that is to blame

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 04 Jan 2014 20:52

Ownership issues for me.....

Adkins was Anton's man, he brought him in and it must have been based on a number of criteria. That's all gone out of the window, who can forget the confusion around the statements coming out of the club in the last transfer window and then to sell 2 of your best players instead of the funds to bring new players in which we all expected, not just free transfers!

I'd say that Adkins has probably either had enough or there's a possibility that he won't fit in the new owners plans. Either way, that has transferred to the players.

Just my opinion, not in the know, don't pretend to be the fountain of all knowledge......

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2014 22:14

Rob-Royal Ownership issues for me.....

Adkins was Anton's man, he brought him in and it must have been based on a number of criteria. That's all gone out of the window, who can forget the confusion around the statements coming out of the club in the last transfer window and then to sell 2 of your best players instead of the funds to bring new players in which we all expected, not just free transfers!

I'd say that Adkins has probably either had enough or there's a possibility that he won't fit in the new owners plans. Either way, that has transferred to the players.

Just my opinion, not in the know, don't pretend to be the fountain of all knowledge......

that's probably just as well. All that knowledge going everywhere.

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 04 Jan 2014 22:17

leon
Rob-Royal Ownership issues for me.....

that's probably just as well. All that knowledge going everywhere.

Well how can I possibly compete with over 7,000 posts....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jan 2014 22:26

The blame lies solely on AZ and his blue-sky deceit.

Yes Sir John should fire his advisors and even bear some of the blame for taking their advice in th first place.

Everybody makes mistakes....the Club, the Chairman, the FA, the local press and even us, the fans fell for it too.

NA is doing a sh1te job right now....but he is in a sh1te position....just like us, he's been had

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Jan 2014 23:16

First of all, it was just under two seasons before Coppell began Reading's best season ever. I think it's fair to say we 'clicked' at the start, rather than at the end of our 106 point season.
Secondly, in both his first two seasons we were potentially in the play-offs until the very last result.
Play-offs then, under Coppell, would have been a far greater achievement than reaching the play-offs would be say this season. The club is greater now in stature, finance and expectation than it was 10 years ago.

tbh I don't recall us being anywhere near as rubbish in the early days of Coppell.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jan 2014 00:52

Principally injuries (particularly to Karacan, Drenthe and Bridge), but also individual mistakes, poor coaching, a few tactical errors (though coaching seems more of a problem than match plans right now), and poor form.
P!ssed Off

First of all, it was just under two seasons before Coppell began Reading's best season ever. I think it's fair to say we 'clicked' at the start, rather than at the end of our 106 point season.
Secondly, in both his first two seasons we were potentially in the play-offs until the very last result.
Play-offs then, under Coppell, would have been a far greater achievement than reaching the play-offs would be say this season. The club is greater now in stature, finance and expectation than it was 10 years ago.

tbh I don't recall us being anywhere near as rubbish in the early days of Coppell.
Stature yes, finance no. In 2005, £1m on Lita was a lot for the Championship. Now, £1.3m (?) on Williams is par for the course, other teams have caught up with us.

Don't you remember the days of Owusu and Morgan up front? Sonko unable to do anything except win headers? Andy Hughes as second choice for every position? Paul Brooker? Bas Savage?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 05 Jan 2014 01:17

SCIAG Principally injuries (particularly to Karacan, Drenthe and Bridge), but also individual mistakes, poor coaching, a few tactical errors (though coaching seems more of a problem than match plans right now), and poor form.
P!ssed Off

Stature yes, finance no. In 2005, £1m on Lita was a lot for the Championship. Now, £1.3m (?) on Williams is par for the course, other teams have caught up with us.

Don't you remember the days of Owusu and Morgan up front? Sonko unable to do anything except win headers? Andy Hughes as second choice for every position? Paul Brooker? Bas Savage?

Our wage bill will be now be one of the highest in the Championship. As it was when we went up under McDermott. I can't imagine that our wage bill would have been anywhere near the top of the league when Coppell took over. Relative to the league, we are far stronger financially now, than before.

Surely pointing out how crap the likes of Savage, Brooker, Owusu and Morgan just further proves how well Coppell did, and that 9th and 7th was by no means underperforming.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jan 2014 01:49

Who signed those players?

We finished 5 placed lower under Coppell than we did under Pards, even though we'd added Goater, Kitson and Ingimarsson and still had the core of the side, though Salako was on the way out.

The next season, we could theoretically have fielded the same XI that won the league bar a striker, but we didn't even reach the playoffs. We had a long winless run, and Coppell's response was to drop Little and Harper. Long term injuries to Kitson and Forster didn't help. However, a lot of the football served up was no better than what we are seeing today.

The main difference is that Coppell wasn't in danger of losing Sidwell, Shorey or Kitson until their contracts ran out. Adkins is likely to lose Pogrebnyak, Carrico and maybe a few more if we don't go up, which will make future attempts at promotion and staying up harder.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 05 Jan 2014 03:05

SCIAG Who signed those players? I thought McDermott/Hammond were responsible for signings at that time? :wink:

We finished 5 placed lower under Coppell than we did under Pards, even though we'd added Goater, Kitson and Ingimarsson and still had the core of the side, though Salako was on the way out. Come on, we had one good Champ season under Pardew, by no means were we an established top Championship team when Coppell came in. If we were an established Championship side with heavy finance, as you've suggested, would we have been signing the likes of Morgan and Owusu on a Free? Coppelldidn't sign Savage anyway.

The next season, we could theoretically have fielded the same XI that won the league bar a striker, but we didn't even reach the playoffs. We had a long winless run, and Coppell's response was to drop Little and Harper. Long term injuries to Kitson and Forster didn't help. However, a lot of the football served up was no better than what we are seeing today. Bollocks.

The main difference is that Coppell wasn't in danger of losing Sidwell, Shorey or Kitson until their contracts ran out. Adkins is likely to lose Pogrebnyak, Carrico and maybe a few more if we don't go up, which will make future attempts at promotion and staying up harder. Carrico? :lol: . The reason Coppell was not indanger of losing Sidwell, Shorey or Kitson was because at that point all 3 players had so far achieved very little in their careers, further adding to the belief that Reading were not top Championship team when Coppell took over.

When Coppell took over we were not an established top Championship team. One good season under Pards in the Champ, after being promoted does not make it the case that we should expect to be in the Play-offs the next season.
Likewise, the argument that we won the league in 2006, therefore we should have got to the play-offs in 2004 is not only illogical, but also a tad ungrateful.

4 teams got to the play-offs in 2003. Wolves were promoted. None of the other 3 reached the play-offs the next year.
Reaching the play-offs once does not guarantee future success at all. Forest, who also reached the play-offs in 2003, were relegated in 2005. Derby came 4th in 2005, 20th in 2006.

Now, however, we certainly are an established top Championship team. The last 5 seasons we've spent in the Championship, we've won it twice and and got to the play-offs twice.

The idea that Coppell should have done better when he took over from Reading merely because he had players that would turn out to be future stars is preposterous.
Kitson was not "Kitson for England" when Coppell signed him from League 2. Sidwell had played less than 40 games in the top 2 English tiers when Coppell took over as manager. Shorey '2 caps for England' had played one full season in the top 2 tiers of English football.
These players weren't stars when Coppell arrived. They were players who had one good season at Championship level, if even that. Coppell did not inherit the stars, he created them.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 05 Jan 2014 03:55

jellytot
Drenthe today a good example, arguing with Crosby when he was asked to pick up his marker. Adkins has said players aren't doing what he asks, and there's an example of some players thinking they know better. Get these people out of our club ASAP, save on the ridiculous wages!

NA needs to get the players out of the club who are not doing what he wants and get his own players in.

You mean, such as, RR Drenthe?

BORING 1-0

by BORING 1-0 » 05 Jan 2014 07:01

P!ssed Off
SCIAG Who signed those players? I thought McDermott/Hammond were responsible for signings at that time? :wink:

We finished 5 placed lower under Coppell than we did under Pards, even though we'd added Goater, Kitson and Ingimarsson and still had the core of the side, though Salako was on the way out. Come on, we had one good Champ season under Pardew, by no means were we an established top Championship team when Coppell came in. If we were an established Championship side with heavy finance, as you've suggested, would we have been signing the likes of Morgan and Owusu on a Free? Coppelldidn't sign Savage anyway.

The next season, we could theoretically have fielded the same XI that won the league bar a striker, but we didn't even reach the playoffs. We had a long winless run, and Coppell's response was to drop Little and Harper. Long term injuries to Kitson and Forster didn't help. However, a lot of the football served up was no better than what we are seeing today. Bollocks.

The main difference is that Coppell wasn't in danger of losing Sidwell, Shorey or Kitson until their contracts ran out. Adkins is likely to lose Pogrebnyak, Carrico and maybe a few more if we don't go up, which will make future attempts at promotion and staying up harder. Carrico? :lol: . The reason Coppell was not indanger of losing Sidwell, Shorey or Kitson was because at that point all 3 players had so far achieved very little in their careers, further adding to the belief that Reading were not top Championship team when Coppell took over.

When Coppell took over we were not an established top Championship team. One good season under Pards in the Champ, after being promoted does not make it the case that we should expect to be in the Play-offs the next season.
Likewise, the argument that we won the league in 2006, therefore we should have got to the play-offs in 2004 is not only illogical, but also a tad ungrateful.

4 teams got to the play-offs in 2003. Wolves were promoted. None of the other 3 reached the play-offs the next year.
Reaching the play-offs once does not guarantee future success at all. Forest, who also reached the play-offs in 2003, were relegated in 2005. Derby came 4th in 2005, 20th in 2006.

Now, however, we certainly are an established top Championship team. The last 5 seasons we've spent in the Championship, we've won it twice and and got to the play-offs twice.

The idea that Coppell should have done better when he took over from Reading merely because he had players that would turn out to be future stars is preposterous.
Kitson was not "Kitson for England" when Coppell signed him from League 2. Sidwell had played less than 40 games in the top 2 English tiers when Coppell took over as manager. Shorey '2 caps for England' had played one full season in the top 2 tiers of English football.
These players weren't stars when Coppell arrived. They were players who had one good season at Championship level, if even that. Coppell did not inherit the stars, he created them.

Pardew and Coppell found excellent potential and coached them well.

Both encouraged attacking sides, using width and pace and power.

Coppell knew how to encourage, communicate and develop and everything was about the team. He sincerely deflected praise and kept things simple.

I get the impression that Adkins is all about Adkins.

He attempts to create over complicated systems, doesn't appear to be sincere and in that gnawingly irritating 'Mclaren style' speaks in meaningless cliches.

His communication appears to be as over coached as his team.

And equally as ineffective.

We are in decline and I cannot see anything to stop the rot.