BFTG Derby (H)

131 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG Derby (H)

by Royal Ginger » 15 Mar 2014 17:14

Yawn. Last 20 minutes was ok, but pretty dull for the rest.

Le Fondre's disallowed goal looked like it probably was a hand ball. Ref was shocking for both sides. Missed a very clear Obita hand ball in the first 15, and another from HRK later.

Biggest problem was a lack of bravery in 50/50 tackles.

Drenthe was excellent, McAnuff was poor. Guthrie was non-existent.
Last edited by Royal Ginger on 15 Mar 2014 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: BFTG Derby (H)

by Platypuss » 15 Mar 2014 17:15

I only saw the last 20 via astream, and that was bad enough. How did the previous 70 manage to be even worse?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 15 Mar 2014 17:17

All played in the middle. We couldn't connect a cross and Derby couldn't string 2 passes together. Most goal line action (what little there was) was in the last 20.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 15 Mar 2014 17:18

Rubbish decision to take off Drenthe.
Ok game for a 0-0, could easily have been 2-2, clear cut chances for both sides.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 15 Mar 2014 17:19

Good game. Two good sides and a shit ref. thought we could have nicked it. Mccleary and Gunter were sublime.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 15 Mar 2014 17:22

Jack Celliers Good game. Two good sides and a shit ref. thought we could have nicked it. Mccleary and Gunter were sublime.

Good game? Really? The only reason I'll remember this game is for my horrible uneven sunburn.

China_royal

by China_royal » 15 Mar 2014 17:28

McCarthy 7
Gunter 8
Obita 7
Akpan 5
Pearce 7
Gorkss 7
McCleary 5
Guthrie 6
Robson-Kanu 6
Le Fondre 5
Drenthe 8
Blackman 6
McAnuff 7

Defence did their job. The partnership between Drenthe and Gunter was promising and they were the two players who were the most dangerous (could work on their crossing though). Everyone else was kind of anonymous, though McAnuff did put in a good shift. McCleary and Guthrie kept losing the ball, but Guthrie made some important interceptions to make up for it.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 15 Mar 2014 17:34

China_royal McCarthy 7
Gunter 8
Obita 7
Akpan 5
Pearce 7
Gorkss 7
McCleary 5
Guthrie 6
Robson-Kanu 6
Le Fondre 5
Drenthe 8
Blackman 6
McAnuff 7

Defence did their job. The partnership between Drenthe and Gunter was promising and they were the two players who were the most dangerous (could work on their crossing though). Everyone else was kind of anonymous, though McAnuff did put in a good shift. McCleary and Guthrie kept losing the ball, but Guthrie made some important interceptions to make up for it.

From the second half stream that I saw, Gunter was head and shoulders above the rest.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 15 Mar 2014 17:54

Royal Ginger
Jack Celliers Good game. Two good sides and a shit ref. thought we could have nicked it. Mccleary and Gunter were sublime.

Good game? Really? The only reason I'll remember this game is for my horrible uneven sunburn.

I thought it was a decent game between two good sides, you really must have shit in your eyes if you thought Guthrie was non existent. Gunter the MOM for me followed by Guthrie and Drenthe. The two wingers didn`t do enough for me 6 each. Alfie missed two great chances before the handball when it looked easier to head it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Mar 2014 17:57

Dull game, poor performance, too many players off form. Another stinker at home basically. That's now 4 games since a Reading player last scored at home. Thank god we're away next week.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2014 17:59

Just back. Poor 1st half but much better in the 2nd & we dominated for large spells. Plenty of quality balls into the box & we really did enough to win it I thought.

Alf missed another sitter. The home hoodoo continues - we just need one thing to turn our way & I'm confident we can turn it around soon enough.

Gunter - Clear MOTM for me. Him & McCleary were absolutely superb. He is fast becoming my vote for POTS. Obita very good also - the 2 full backs really stood out today.

As for McAnuff - as a Jobi fan it pains me to say this but I just don't know what has happened to him. He has completely lost his way & his decision making is all over the place. If he continues as he is, I really can't see the club offering him a new deal & I wouldn't blame them TBH.

Blackman looked decent. Really harsh on him that we don't see him more. Took a difficult ball 2nd half & turned superbly. He is definitely one to watch for me.

Overall, I think we should have won that game. They had a great one on one 2nd half but AM made himself big & made a great save.

Ref - horrendous.

Ah well - there are plenty of twists & turns to come & I still feel we have a good chance of making the play-offs.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Mar 2014 18:09

Same pattern as many recent home games. Start brightly, don't capitalise let the other team into the game. Difference today was we didn't gift them a goal. Derby couldn't score in a brothel today. We were much the same.

mccarthy 8 one fabulous save his kicking is improving though not exactly good.
gunter 7 solid game good attacking threat little wrong at the back.
gorkss 8 best I've seen him in ages
pearce 8 solid too.
obita 6 let a few silly set pieces go. Not his best game
guthrie 7 some telegraphdd passes
akpan 7 best ive seen him
mccleary 5 worst game for ages, bottled challenges and offered little poor crossing
mcanuff 6 bugger all going forward but got one of our few shots on target
Drenthe 8 quality but we just couldn't make it happen
hrk 6 not much chance

alf 6 did ok but no better than that
blackman 6 same as alf really

derby did a really good job of shutting down our danger areas.

ref was toss.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 15 Mar 2014 18:11

Two teams that cancelled each other out.

Derby decent and deserving a draw, and wtf was Le Fondre playing at (both chances)

Ref was getting on my tits.

Oh well. Nothing decided today but it got harder.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2014 18:15

Ian Royal Same pattern as many recent home games. Start brightly, don't capitalise let the other team into the game. Difference today was we didn't gift them a goal. Derby couldn't score in a brothel today. We were much the same.

mccarthy 8 one fabulous save his kicking is improving though not exactly good.
gunter 7 solid game good attacking threat little wrong at the back.
gorkss 8 best I've seen him in ages
pearce 8 solid too.
obita 6 let a few silly set pieces go. Not his best game
guthrie 7 some telegraphdd passes
akpan 7 best ive seen him
mccleary 5 worst game for ages, bottled challenges and offered little poor crossing
mcanuff 6 bugger all going forward but got one of our few shots on target
Drenthe 8 quality but we just couldn't make it happen
hrk 6 not much chance

alf 6 did ok but no better than that
blackman 6 same as alf really

derby did a really good job of shutting down our danger areas.

ref was toss.

You've marked Jobi higher than McCleary. Really?? Thought McCleary & Gunter were unplayable at times they were both fantastic. Odd...

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 15 Mar 2014 18:15

^ Why I never give scores

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2014 18:18

Especially as McAnuff was so poor today. He didn't link up well with Obita at all. Plenty of opportunities to run on & he kept drifting into a CM position so Obita had no one to pass to.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 15 Mar 2014 18:19

Mcanuff did well protecting Obita, part of the reason Obita looked so good today was that every time he did get beat Mcanuff was there to tracking back.

It was a tough game and Derby were very good on the ball. Neither team was bad we had opportunities though, no it wasn't the most exciting, games between two evenly matched teams like that usually aren't.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 15 Mar 2014 18:21

Sorry munchers, but I thought Garath was no more than average today based on recent performances

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 15 Mar 2014 18:25

McLeary was absolute pants today. Didn't look at all interested. Very frustrating player.

Back four solid. Thought Guthers had a decent game and Akpan got through a lot of work (yes he made a couple of silly mistakes) and tidied up well.

Wouldn't have taken Drenthe off when he did. ALF -waste of space. He'll be let go in the summer.

at least we tried to play some football today and thought we did enough to win today. Snuffed out a Derby and didn't let them play much. Their right winger was MOTM.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2014 18:26

Zac - Thought McAnuff was pretty dump today & probably our worst outfield player. Much as it pains me to say it!

He is like a rabbit in the headlights these days & just seems to panic.

Like you say though, quite evenly matched game but thought we should have won...just. I have a feeling both teams will be playing each other next season though! Can't see Derby winning the play-offs - they were just as sh1t in front of goal as we were!

They came for a point & given where there are in the table, you can't blame them for shutting up shop from now until the end of the season as it'll be enough for them to get top 6.

131 posts