Adkins - Pros and Cons

847 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Adkins - what do we think?

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2014 00:06

Some think yes, some think no. Half of those who think no would think no regardless of how well he was doing.

78royal

by 78royal » 02 Oct 2014 02:54

Doing a brilliant job

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Oct 2014 04:36

Doing a decent job.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 02 Oct 2014 05:39

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Adkins - Pros and Cons

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Oct 2014 08:54

Con - Inconsistency for me , still has not put any sort of half decent run together

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2014 17:04

3 wins in a row is a good base point for a decent season and we've already done that this season. We've only played 10 league games.

He did 5 unbeaten twice last year (3 wins and 2 wins). Those are ok runs.

what is your definition of a decent run? How many games must it include? What ppg average?

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 02 Oct 2014 17:44

Prefer the dull monotony of having a resident manager in situ for a spell of years so that he has a realistic chance of doing something good.

Rather than the awful sack race mentality that seems to have affected entire slices of British life - instant gratification junkies.

I don't like everything that permascouser does, but he's giving it his all, so good on the man.

He doesn't sulk. He gets on with it fairly quietly. There are pleasing signs of progress.

More pros than cons for me.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Oct 2014 21:50

More good than bad for me.

15 points from 10 games equates to 69 over a season - usually one win short of a play off place.

Given the chaos over the summer, the lateness of the new signings and the injuries to several key players I call that a good start.

The signings made have generally been OK (not sure about Mackie yet) and if we can hold 10th place or so for another couple of months I can see Macleary, Williams and Karacan making a real difference when they return. In addition, the quality of football has improved as more players are introduced to the team who can control and pass the ball.

Lets wait and see where we end up in May - Adkins will then have had 2 transfer windows with money to spend hopefully coupled with easing injury situation.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Oct 2014 22:02

Ian Herring Prefer the dull monotony of having a resident manager in situ for a spell of years so that he has a realistic chance of doing something good.

Rather than the awful sack race mentality that seems to have affected entire slices of British life - instant gratification junkies.

I don't like everything that permascouser does, but he's giving it his all, so good on the man.

He doesn't sulk. He gets on with it fairly quietly. There are pleasing signs of progress.

More pros than cons for me.

+1 to that. I don't think we should be sacking managers at all, bar flirting with relegation to League One for several months (sorry Brendan) or gross misconduct.

I think Adkins has made some mistakes - he's not shown enough faith in youth, for one, and his subs are sometimes a bit perplexing - but I broadly like what I see from his Reading team, and I don't see any reason to change managers. I don't see any reason to even discuss it, to be honest.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2014 22:27

Possibly without much choice, but he's shown plenty of faith in youth this season IMO. Taylor's being played ahead of Mackie. He's shown faith in Obita owning the left back slot. He's given Cooper a chance and isn't afraid to use him tactically. He's not tried to bring in someone to replace Morrison over Hector. Didn't Kuhl get played over Akpan a bit?

I think you're right about last season. He rushed senior players back and didn't use the youth as much as he could or should have done.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 02 Oct 2014 23:31

Ian Royal Possibly without much choice, but he's shown plenty of faith in youth this season IMO. Taylor's being played ahead of Mackie. He's shown faith in Obita owning the left back slot. He's given Cooper a chance and isn't afraid to use him tactically. He's not tried to bring in someone to replace Morrison over Hector. Didn't Kuhl get played over Akpan a bit?

I think you're right about last season. He rushed senior players back and didn't use the youth as much as he could or should have done.

Not sue about that. The youth are still not quite ready, and are slowly being blooded; they will be developing so quickly at this age that my guess us that last season they would not have been up to it. Just a guess mind

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 03 Oct 2014 09:11

Pro's - He's already in the job, He's giving youth a chance (not necessarily by choice), He has an acceptable track record, He isn't afraid to cut the dead wood (Drenthe), He's shown loyalty when he could have walked away, He seems approachable, Not afraid to change the teams style of play

Con's - Too orange for my liking, dull post match interviews, might favour The Rock over Con Air, maybe reluctant to switch to the old Reading 4-4-2 with wingers system when times may call for it - prefers to fit players into a system rather than a system to suit the available players.

Overall I find it hard to gauge whether Adkins is doing a good job or not as I'm not sure what job is expected of him, but I assume with the club having had to sell players his job has been to make the best of what he has and maybe aim for the playoffs..... If we were bottom or top of the table then my mind would be made up, at the moment I'm on the fence but giving him the benefit of the doubt and backing him.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Oct 2014 17:17

Major Pro. During the period Atkins has been manager he has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner. Despite all the off pitch shenanigans. He is developing a tight knit group of players that are proud to wear the shirt and give their all. Proving that up and coming players given a chance to play and learn can do so. This season has been far better than I imagined it would be at the beginning of August.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 04 Oct 2014 09:45

Entirely in favour and I've never wavered in my faith in him. Even when it was horrible to watch last season.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 04 Oct 2014 10:35

TBF I was probably just pissed off when I posted this thread, but looks like it was a debate worth having.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 04 Oct 2014 13:45

Lower West Major Pro. During the period Atkins has been manager he has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner. Despite all the off pitch shenanigans. He is developing a tight knit group of players that are proud to wear the shirt and give their all. Proving that up and coming players given a chance to play and learn can do so. This season has been far better than I imagined it would be at the beginning of August.

Exactly this (except it is Adkins) ^^^^^

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Oct 2014 13:56

Lower West Major Pro. During the period Atkins has been manager he has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner. Despite all the off pitch shenanigans. He is developing a tight knit group of players that are proud to wear the shirt and give their all. Proving that up and coming players given a chance to play and learn can do so. This season has been far better than I imagined it would be at the beginning of August.

Exactly this /\/\/\/\
I'd also add that we have had a largish personnel change and to be in touch at this stage is looking good. Nige is doing a great job.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Oct 2014 14:17

AirRaidSiren

This is Adkins team so should get the credit. Look at Cardiff. Big name manager, spent loads on money. Where are they now?

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 04 Oct 2014 14:26

Lower West
AirRaidSiren

This is Adkins team so should get the credit. Look at Cardiff. Big name manager, spent loads on money. Where are they now?

I've said for a while now that he needed time, exactly what Pearson had at Leicester.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 04 Oct 2014 16:48

:?

Dicked at Brentford :lol:

847 posts