3%
Other (please st8)
16%

Total votes: 226
Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who do you want?

by Whore Jackie » 22 Oct 2014 13:46

At the Evening with Brian last week, he was pretty clear that he wouldn't come back. Interestingly* he said, there's always someone working in the background of a club, that could do a better job than many of the more obvious candidates. They or the club might not realise it either. Fairly obvious, he was pushing Dolan's claims should the vacancy arise.

1. Dolan
2. Pulis
3. Hoddle

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 22 Oct 2014 13:56

Martin Keown?..

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 22 Oct 2014 13:57

No idea.

The recipe for success of the moment seems to be Swansea or Southampton.

Two teams who's foundations were laid by two managers who've managed us (and failed) in the last 5 years. One sacked and one in danger of.

What does that tell you about this club? I'm happy to stick with Adkins, failing that somebody who is going to continue the job he's tried to do. If we go back to another hoof-ball merchant we'll be in exactly the same position in 4 years.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Oct 2014 13:58

Why not include Adkins as a choice?

Let me think .......... maybe because it wouldn't suit your agenda if a majority voted for him!

Coward's way out.

Show some guts by adding Adkins and resetting the poll.

As it is, it is an absurd poll, not just because those who still support Adkins can't show that and are far less likely to participate but also because none of the above are going to happen (unless Adkins gets pissed off with the unfulfilled promises from above and walks out). The owners won't pay to get rid of him (even if they are that way inclined) and no one decent in their right mind would come to us, given the apparent continued reluctance to invest any money in the squad.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Oct 2014 13:58

GH Royal Martin Keown?..

For the one game he managed me, he kicked a ball at me from point blank range in the warm up. I went on to score a hat-trick (at Wembley), so you can't knock his motivational skillz.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Oct 2014 13:59

RoyalBlue Why not include Adkins as a choice?

Let me think .......... maybe because it wouldn't suit your agenda if a majority voted for him!

Coward's way out.

Show some guts by adding Adkins and resetting the poll.

As it is, it is an absurd poll, not just because those who still support Adkins can't show that and are far less likely to participate but also because none of the above are going to happen (unless Adkins gets pissed off with the unfulfilled promises from above and walks out). The owners won't pay to get rid of him (even if they are that way inclined) and no one decent in their right mind would come to us, given the apparent continued reluctance to invest any money in the squad.

Try reading the opening post dumb dumb.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Oct 2014 14:01

1. Tony Pulis
2. David Moyes
3. Carl Robinson
4. Malky McKay
5. Phil Parkinson

All of them used to working with tight purse strings to achieve...

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 22 Oct 2014 14:02

RoyalBlue Let me think .......... maybe because it wouldn't suit your agenda if a majority voted for him!

Coward's way out.

:lol:

You irredeemable wanker.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 22 Oct 2014 14:07

Pepe the Horseman
GH Royal Martin Keown?..

For the one game he managed me, he kicked a ball at me from point blank range in the warm up. I went on to score a hat-trick (at Wembley), so you can't knock his motivational skillz.

We have a winner guys, a manager who can inspire his players and a new star striker :wink:

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 22 Oct 2014 15:24

blueroyals No idea.

The recipe for success of the moment seems to be Swansea or Southampton.

Two teams who's foundations were laid by two managers who've managed us (and failed) in the last 5 years. One sacked and one in danger of.

What does that tell you about this club? I'm happy to stick with Adkins, failing that somebody who is going to continue the job he's tried to do. If we go back to another hoof-ball merchant we'll be in exactly the same position in 4 years.

Yeah, agree with the overview here.

The options are:

1. Stick with Adkins or A.N. Other who is given the huge task of creating a sea change in philosophy/style of football which is going to be drawn out and painful at times (especially when there's not a great deal of cash sloshing about to throw at it).

2. Go with someone like McD/Mick McCarthy or the many other provincial style up 'n' at 'em type managers who will provide a fix for the competitive aspect of the team (but an entirely predictable and rustic version of football to watch).

3. Promote from within knowing that person will need less time to understand the squad and gel them quicker.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 22 Oct 2014 16:07

as I consistently suggest (to no avail) whenever there is specualtion I would like Mick McCarthy. However unlike on previous occasions when speculation has arisen for a potential reading vacancy I dont think he would come here....

I also think Holloway would be a good reading fit albeit a different way of playing.

Readars

by Readars » 22 Oct 2014 16:18

Sanguine I think when writing lists of prospective managers, it is useful to consider if those managers would actually want to join Reading.

I'd even go as far as suggesting Karl Robinson might not leave MK Dons for us (or Birmingham, for that matter).

Isn't Karl Robinson the guy who was on telly visiting foreign countries as a Ricky Gervais stooge?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Oct 2014 17:18

Should the time come for Adkins to go, which it hasn't yet, I'd want to see Dolan given the chance if he wants it.

I can see an argument for getting McDermott back, but I think he'd be a short term fix that wouldn't help in the long term and his leaving was acrimonious and disappointing enough for the fans, I'd rather not have another opportunity for a great to disappoint and brew dissent. Adkins tenure has already been blighted by resentment from many who didn't want McDermott out in the first place.

Parkinson is a laughable suggestion, the guy's got no track record at this sort of level no matter how beloved he was as a player. Equally Gunnarsson, who's not even got much managerial / coaching experience at all.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Oct 2014 17:22

Coppell and McD together

Or....

Nicky Hammond! :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Oct 2014 17:30

Royal Lady

Christ, I think the only way you could piss people off worse would be to give it to Madejski. :lol:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Oct 2014 17:34

Ian Royal Should the time come for Adkins to go, which it hasn't yet, I'd want to see Dolan given the chance if he wants it.

I can see an argument for getting McDermott back, but I think he'd be a short term fix that wouldn't help in the long term and his leaving was acrimonious and disappointing enough for the fans, I'd rather not have another opportunity for a great to disappoint and brew dissent. Adkins tenure has already been blighted by resentment from many who didn't want McDermott out in the first place.

Parkinson is a laughable suggestion, the guy's got no track record at this sort of level no matter how beloved he was as a player. Equally Gunnarsson, who's not even got much managerial / coaching experience at all.

No track record?
Did he not get Colchester United promoted from the 3rd tier for their first time in history and then keep them up the following year, finishing 10th in the Championship with a team that was made up of solely 'free transfers', bar one player.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Oct 2014 17:43

He also got Bradford to the League Cup final. Got a slightly better record than Dolan.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Oct 2014 17:53

McDermott had no track record at any level (alright, Slough) and that worked out okay.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Oct 2014 17:54

P!ssed Off
Ian Royal Should the time come for Adkins to go, which it hasn't yet, I'd want to see Dolan given the chance if he wants it.

No track record?
Did he not get Colchester United promoted from the 3rd tier for their first time in history and then keep them up the following year, finishing 10th in the Championship with a team that was made up of solely 'free transfers', bar one player.

He got them promoted from the third tier, left them for Hull who were in the Championship as well, where he promptly got sacked six months later for being a failure. So, on the important part, no.

To the others: Internal appointments are little different to externals, rather obviously.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Oct 2014 18:00

Ian Royal
Royal Lady

Christ, I think the only way you could piss people off worse would be to give it to Madejski. :lol:

You jest but...... :wink:

244 posts