Loan Watch 2013 - 2014

220 posts
GH Royal

Re: Loan Watch 2013 - 2014

by GH Royal » 26 Mar 2015 12:59

That's only if we sign Mackie, which I hope we do. Even still, the Championship is a long season and Mackie wouldn't be able to play every game due to injury or fatigue, if Tanner got 10-15 games that would be a good amount and not too much too soon I don't think.

Most natural in a centre attacking mid role, so the number 10. But I'm sure he'd bite Clarke's hand off if he was given the chance to play on the wing in the first team.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Mar 2015 23:13

GH Royal
Sorry, thought I mentioned Edwards contract was running out, didn't realise Taylor has another year though! I do prefer Edwards to Taylor, from the games I saw he looks the much better attacking option, driving runs, good pace, good control and the creative flair to pick a good through ball where others might not see one. Just looked a little lightweight to be able to cope with the Champs week in week out, hence why I said a loan would help. Worth mentioning Edwards is 2 years younger than Taylor aswell, whom I think is a very average player and used to constantly go missing in games.

I was more looking at how we are right now admittedly, if Karacan and Guthrie leave and we don't manage to get Chalobah on loan for another season then that would open up spaces for Tish and Kuhl if we don't bring anyone else in.
Before Chalobah came to us results were good with Akpan in the side, alot of the work he does goes unnoticed, however him mishitting the occasional 5 yard pass sticks in people's minds, I do think overall he is quite a useful player to have around. Again it's worth mentioning he is the same age as Taylor (23) admittedly different types of players, but as far as I'm aware both of their preffered positions are CM and I know I'd rather keep Akpan over Taylor given the choice..

Taylor isn't god's gift to Reading Football Club, but he's above Edwards in the pecking order for a reason. None of the three should get their contracts renewed unless they show dramatic improvement.

Whilst Taylor can play central midfield, he's much better closer to the strikers. I think the same is true of Akpan fwiw, though you wouldn't play him on the wing.

As for Tanner, he's rarely played out wide because he's always been our best attacker at youth level and we have had good wingers, but he's looked comfortable there when he's filled in, such as in the second half of the last U21 match at the Mad Stad (Bolton?). wrt. his contract, I thought his extension was just until 2016, must have been thinking of Tshibola.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Mar 2015 08:30

Taylor is now on loan at Orient until the end of the season.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Mar 2015 13:18

Upd8s:

Despite it all, Hartlepool are out of the relegation zone! Tshibola being credited with a big role in their upturn in form.

Wimbledon aren't doing as well as their fans would like, and Tanner is their escapegoat. They seem to have realised that he's supposed to be an attacking midfielder, but several of the louder voices on their forums really don't like him.

I did find this though:
Anyone think there is something Messi-esque about Tanner? Obviously the quality is "slightly" different, but he can pick the ball up back in our own half and get a long way with it. I think part of the problem for him is that at youth level he could dribble past them all, whereas here the standard of defense is slightly higher.

Dickie unavailable for Basingstoke due to international duty, They (and Stuart Moore) conceded four without him.

Dom Hyam was also unavailable for Hemel. George McClennan's Hayes and Yeading had no match.

Standard Jake Taylor match for Leyton Orient, described as "anonymous but set up the second goal".

Dominic Samuel didn't have any involvement in Coventry's only goal. He missed three chances, though two of them were from outside the area.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 02 Apr 2015 13:54

Dominic Samuel substituted after 10 minutes in Coventry's 1-0 home defeat to Orient last night.
Unspecified injury. Hope it's nothing serious.

EDIT
Found out a bit more:
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/loan-striker-dominic-samuel-fears-8968592
Loan striker Dominic Samuel fears his stint at Coventry City could be cut short

11:20, 2 April 2015
By Andy Turner

Reading frontman will find out today the extent of injury which forced him off the field against Leyton Orient

Dominic Samuel is 'praying' that his ankle injury doesn’t cut short his stay with the Sky Blues.

The on-loan Reading striker was due to find out today the extent of the damage after being forced off inside ten minutes in last night’s 1-0 home defeat by relegation rivals Leyton Orient after a crunching tackle by midfielder Marvin Bartley.

Samuel, who has an impressive six goals in 14 games for City, left the Ricoh Arena on crutches with his right ankle in a protective boot and was due to go for a scan today to assess whether he’s suffered heavy bruising or more serious ligament damage.

“I’m hoping and praying it’s just bruising,” said the 20-year-old.

“It’s pretty swollen and there was no way I could carry on but hopefully the swelling will go down and I’ll get some good news from the scan.

"I just hope it’s not ligament damage that will keep me out for a long time.”

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 02 Apr 2015 15:00

Fractured ankle, out for the season. Stay lucky

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Apr 2015 15:13

Marvin Bartley's from Reading, presumably this was some kind of territorial grudge

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 02 Apr 2015 15:25

Out of contract at the end of the season, numerous injury problems at a young age which will likely get worse the more he plays and the older he gets, rumoured to have an attitude problem, hasn't had a solid season or 6 months scoring consistently in Mens football =

Off in the summer.

Is it the last year he qualifies as an under 21 aswell?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Apr 2015 15:55

Reckon he'll be still at Reading next year myself....

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 02 Apr 2015 16:02

Sutekh Reckon he'll be still at Reading next year myself....

Guess we'll have to wait and see :wink: but I'd say the cons outweigh the pros, and this new injury is only going to dishearten him even more depending on his resolve.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Apr 2015 19:01

I reckon his performances at Coventry have earned him a contract to see what he can do at Championship level, it's not like we'd be breaking the bank keeping him and the club do love the PR of youth players breaking into the first team.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Apr 2015 19:48

Maguire Marvin Bartley's from Reading, presumably this was some kind of territorial grudge

Former Reading academy player too.

I think this increases Samuel's chances of staying with us. He'll probably find it difficult to get a club if he's injured. I think his form for Coventry justifies a contract extension. I'd probably try a year, with an extra year triggered once he makes 10 appearances or something.

I think all his injuries have been contact injuries. More like Kitson and Karacan than Guthrie or Ferdinand. He should be fine if he stopped getting kicked...

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 03 Apr 2015 20:34

Danny Guthrie wasn't at his best today apparently.

:lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Apr 2015 22:12

Aaron Tshibola set up a goal.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 06 Apr 2015 18:34

In a game where Cureton scored a hattrick according to the BBC T"he Dons should have levelled but Craig Tanner headed wide from close range."

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Apr 2015 20:08

Guthrie not in the Fulham squad today - out with a calf injury apparently. What a surprise!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Apr 2015 10:45

Haven't updated in a while.

Yesterday was a bad day for our loanees too. Craig Tanner played left wing for Wimbledon and was booked for a brilliant tactical foul in a 0-0 draw. He had a goal disallowed because the referee judged Akinfenwa to have committed a foul, when the consensus seems to be it was the other way around. He did set up the only goal in their last match though.

Some praise for him:

He was brilliant at KM in the game against (ok I can't remember who the oppo were) but he'd been told to sink back into midfield - any time we'd attacked and the ball broke out to their wingers it was Tanner sprinting like a nutter to close him down and stop the play. He's clearly out to prove himself and not smarting at being put out on loan. I actually really like the lad for his attitude and work rate and he's shown he can punish errant defenders by being in the right place where space gets left. It could be that his weakness is that he gets too excited when in a shooting position and just needs to focus down on the technique, or maybe accept that he's a midfielder.

Some people accuse Azeez of not being good enough for league football. Tanner clearly is, but maybe not in that position. Azeez would be a lost lamb in midfield but I think Tanner would be quite strong there with a bigger lad alongside him. But Azeez can score as well as oxf*rd a chance up (sometimes both at the same time) whereas Tanner can't score.

Tshibola gave away a penalty (converted) in a 3-0 defeat.

Dom Hyam's Hemel Hempstead side lost 3-1 to Whitehawk.

Left back George McLennan seems to have started up front for Hayes and Yeading in a 1-0 victory over Concord Rangers.

Urbancic hasn't scored for Vikingur yet.

Stuart Moore and Rob Dickie were essentially to blame for Basingstoke's 2-1 defeat to Sutton last week, Moore at fault for both goals and Dickie gave away a silly free kick for the first one. Dickie then went on a mazy run through the Sutton team, laid it off to a team mate who shot straight at the goalkeeper, pounced on the rebound... and his shot was blocked.

However, they kept a clean sheet against Havant and Waterlooville yesterday. Despite some issues with distribution today and last week's shocker, Moore was named their Player of the Season. Manager very complimentary:
Bristow said: “I think Stuart is the best goalkeeper in the league and he’s certainly the best we have had here for many years. He’s got fantastic ability and has got a big future ahead of him.

“If he doesn’t feature for Reading next season, then he should be playing on loan somewhere in the Football League. He’s that good.

“You are always going to get the odd mistake from any player and they are always highlighted if you are a goalkeeper. Stuart has made very few mistakes and been fantastic all year, so nobody is pointing fingers at him in the dressing room.

“He was really disappointed on Saturday and that goes to show how much he cares, but once he reflects on what happened, he will learn from it and it will make him a better player.”

Source: http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/spo ... ig_future/

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Apr 2015 12:46

Thanks SCIAG, great summary

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Apr 2015 14:35

Haven't been sure about the next string of keepers. That's great to hear about Moore.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 15 May 2015 05:49

Nice round up of all this year's loans now up on TTE.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/loa ... l#comments

220 posts