321 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pearce to Derby - CONFIMRED

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Jun 2015 10:34

Ian Royal
RoyalBlue
Top Flight This is a bit like when Coppell let Forster and Williams both leave. Everyone was a bit sceptical at the time. But he replaced them with Doyle, Long and Sonko and the rest is history.

Letting go of a few of the fans favourites and long-serving players is probably exactly what we need at the present time to break out of our current rut, change the whole philosophy at the club and come out stronger.

Without money, nobody thought that Coppell could replace Williams and Forsters quality at the time. But hell he did it. (I sound like Ed Milliband there).

I reckon Clarke will unearth the next Doyle, Long and Sonko without spending much. Come on Clarke, show us what a great manager you're gonna be for us. Lack of funds. That is no excuse.

The difference is that Coppell already had a good track record as a manager and also for identifying good players . IMO Clarke doesn't.

Coppell also had McDermott as Scout and Dolan's relation at Cork. Lots of Coppell's good buys were players who'd played for him at a lower level that he thought could step up too. Not really going to apply in Clarke's case.

Typical responses to Top Flights top post from two over mined pits of utter bollox.

We may never see another side like the one built by Coppell and McDermott but, one thing they didn't have back then was a fantastic bunch of kids on the brink of first team football.

Just the likelihood that Derby will be paying 20k+ a week for a slightly better than average Championship defender (not to mention recent reports that this league is on the brink of financial meltdown :| ) would suggest that trying to buy our way out of this league would amount to signing up for more God foresaken years like the two we've just had.

I wish Pearce well and don't blame him, at his age, for chasing the wonga but, frankly, if he was worth that kind of money someone would have offered a fee good enough for us to accept before we lost him for nothing.

We've probably been waiting since 1871 to have the quality in young talent we currently possess and, even if we have to snap up a few loans in January to bail us out, there are a number who should be given a chance ahead of over priced, mediocre rivals who happen to have more miles on the clock.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe RR is an accountant. As this really comes down to basic arithmetic, he doesn't need to attend many matches to have a valid opinion and I'd be amazed if those running the club see things that differently.

This could still be the start of fantastic times for RFC fans and those who wish to deride others for renewing their season tickets will not be missed.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Jun 2015 10:39

:shock: WTF, a very rare +1 there woodcote :shock: are you feeling alright :?:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Jun 2015 10:47

Another +1 on most fronts... :o

The 1st sentence was same old but the rest I'm fully in agreement with.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jun 2015 11:01

I particularly liked the bit about RR being an accountant.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Jun 2015 12:53

Yeah RR being an accountant changes everything - accountants have more than enough info at their fingertips re how the team are playing without having to actually watch them.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Jun 2015 13:35

AND again!! :lol:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Jun 2015 13:46

Royal Rother AND again!! :lol:

I think she's in denial about her feelings towards you.......

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 09 Jun 2015 14:50

CONFIMRED?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Jun 2015 14:59

Confrimed as well.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Jun 2015 15:28

Confrimmered.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 09 Jun 2015 16:02

Confrimmerwanged

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Jun 2015 16:48

Conformed.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jun 2015 20:03

Royal Rother Another +1 on most fronts... :o

The 1st sentence was same old but the rest I'm fully in agreement with.

Yeah me too, and I *think* he was trying to argue with me at the start. :shock:

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 10 Jun 2015 17:45

Top Flight This is a bit like when Coppell let Forster and Williams both leave. Everyone was a bit sceptical at the time. But he replaced them with Doyle, Long and Sonko and the rest is history.

Surely the success of this analogy is signing the equivalent of Doyle, Sonko and Long - and we've havent looked like doing that for quite some time.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jun 2015 18:30

But it's reasonable to suggest we may already have their equivalent in our own Academy products.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jun 2015 18:50

Royal Rother But it's reasonable to suggest we may already have their equivalent in our own Academy products.

Which is an entirely different thing. And Cardwell and Novakovitch are realistically at least another year away.

Long took, what? Five years to come good, then left. Can't really wait that long at the moment.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jun 2015 19:53

What I meant was that although Coppell went off and signed the largely unproven new players (Doyle, Sonko and Long) we may already have players with the at least same potential coming through to strengthen the team - certainly a lot more prolific in number, and quite possibly better / more advanced than and of the ones Coppell had at his disposal.

I wasn't suggesting the players / positions are the same, but the potential that Cooper, Stacey, Tshibola, Fosu, Kuhl, Novakovitch, Cardwell etc. etc. have are, I'd suggest, at least the equivalent of the 3 aforementioned (that was apparent at the time we signed them)... like me, I'm sure you'll remember the hugely underwhelmed reaction of the Hobnob majority when they were brought in. And Hobnob KNOWS!

But actually we don't know yet of course - only time will tell and if the money is available then most certainly a proven striker who scores goals and a proven central defender who stops them would be extremely welcome I'm sure.

RL - don't miss your turn now....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jun 2015 20:15

Meh, I was saying Sonko would have Adie's slot by the end of the season not long after he joined. We already had Kitson and had signed Lita for £1m so there wasn't much to be underwhelmed with Doyle and Long.

You won't hear me complain about the quality of our youth, I think they're fab.

Seem to have got somewhat off topic.

Boo Pearce has gone, boo.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Jun 2015 21:36

Hector and Mcshane will do for next season

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Jun 2015 21:44

Dr_Hfuhruhurr

Surely the success of this analogy is signing the equivalent of Doyle, Sonko and Long - and we've havent looked like doing that for quite some time.

We didn't look like signing them before they came on the scene. And let's not forget the hiatus on this board when we did sign Doyle and Long. Apparently we were 'mad to think that untried young Irish kids can cut it in England'. After the Plymouth game, when Doyle made his debut, this board was full of doom and gloom about how useless he was. A few weeks later ........

And don't forget that Long took quite a while to break into the team. He was, effectively, an academy / reserve team player for quite a while.

So, who knows when the next great acquisition will come, could already be there in the Academy for all we know.

321 posts