little chat with the "pro" about the key points in that game
the rest of the goals from the League One

League Two
1 main game - extended highlights
little chat with the "pro" about the key points in that game
the rest of the goals from the League Two

Show the tables and maybe a "best bits from the weekend"

End

I never understood the need for the "pro's insight". I'd much rather see 5 mins more action from each division. Seeing the goals is not highlights, it's just goals

I quite like the pro's opinion as they highlight parts of the game that you may not have noticed

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Football League highlights Show

by Maneki Neko » 10 Aug 2015 14:24

I would gladly swap every 'insight' from a Pro, pundit, or audience member for another look at an contentious offside, "was it or wasn't it over the line" incident, or an extra slow-mo replay of the goals.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Aug 2015 14:25

bobby1413 I quite like the pro's opinion as they highlight parts of the game that you may not have noticed
They seem to have missed everything, so a few pro's there talking about replays like in slow motion like for the Reading goal that was disallowed or the penalty that should have been retaken would be most welcome.

Why didn't they just copy the popular BBC format?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Aug 2015 14:36

it was only popular because its the only programme on the television to show the highlights.IMO

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Aug 2015 14:39

melonhead it was only popular because its the only programme on the television to show the highlights.IMO

More choice = a better product

fozzy

by fozzy » 10 Aug 2015 15:15

Personally I thought the 'highlight' was asking someone in the audience a question and then saying "we can't hear you mate" as they hadn't bothered with any audience mics. Total fail.
Just highlights n goals and nowt else needed please!

FL72 much better, even though they still insist on splitting champ girls across start and end. Grrrrrrr.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 10 Aug 2015 15:23

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... wrong.html

Highlights from the article include:
Unfortunately their first effort over the weekend was one of a broadcaster evidently out of practice at covering the national game.

I just can't agree with Brian Barwick, writing in Monday's Daily Mail, that it was a 'good first effort' and that 'Channel 5 should be pleased.'

Most perplexing was the running order, which simply had no rhyme or reason.

Another thing was captions during games telling us of substitutions. Surely pretty pointless if you aren’t given the starting line-ups in the first place?

The studio audience was another ill-conceived idea. This seldom works well on football highlights shows and all efforts by presenters Kelly Cates and George Riley to engage fell flat because the audience member didn’t have a microphone and just couldn't be heard. That’s pretty basic.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Aug 2015 18:00

stealthpapes I also didn't catch Reading as I assumed we'd been on earlier.

Me too. Saw it us Youtube last night though. Crap that there was no Norwood fk and no replay of Tish's 'goal'.

I did flick on to the show at about 9.30, wondered whether they were interspersing things, but decided it was too unbearable to wait and find out.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 10 Aug 2015 20:46

Mr Angry Appreciate that it was the first show, but it was awful.

Some particular lowlights:

Whoever came up with the idea that the Championship highlights should be split between Leagues 1 and 2 needs to be told to grow up; presumably if Channel 5 had the highlights to ALL football then they would leave Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City to the last spots as well?? Nah - thought not....

The studio audience were an utter waste of space; just get rid of.

A lot of football fans aren't going to be sitting down for a whole 90 mins at 9pm on a Sat night, and will video the show, fast forwarding until they see their team - an intro before each game of both sides club badges was an excellent way of breaking the games up and needs to be adopted.

If you are going to have "experts" then lets hear their views on issues that the football brought up; maybe a view on contentious issues or on new players into teams and how/why they might help their new side? In fact, anything other than the usual dull anodyne tripe that was dished out.

There was absolutely no narrative and no sense to the running order (surely the first game should have been MK Dons winning 4-1 away from home in their first game at this level, followed possibly by Charlton beating the very fancied QPR?); as the season goes on, the top teams in each division should be shown first, but until things settle down I would have thought that showing the best results/most interesting games would have come first?

Finally, there was one massively contentious issue - ironically it involved us, but regardless, surely a programme like this could have investigated the incident of whether Tish's shot crossed the line or not rather than simply suggest that they would have to have a few looks at it later (and not discuss it), and then broaden it out into a debate about instigating the same goal line technology as is available in the Premier League, especially as the financial implications for dropping 2 points could be huge at the end of the season?

All in all, a pretty poor first effort I thought.

This is pretty much what I thought after watching it. It was cringey and just all over the place.

It made the BBC FLS look really good. Although FLS could have been better I think they got a lot right with their format.

What annoys me is that it appears to have got a lot worse after seeing that attempt by C5.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 10 Aug 2015 22:26

The format hasn't really ever worked. ITV had a crack, then BBC and now C5. It just doesn't work. You can't pack 3 leagues of football into a 90 min show and still have decent analysis/engagement.

A broadcaster needs to come along and admit that the audience for L1/L2 highlights is low enough not to warrant screen time. Show the Championship highlights with a MOTD type format and move the L1/L2 highlights to online only.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 10 Aug 2015 23:11

blueroyals The format hasn't really ever worked. ITV had a crack, then BBC and now C5. It just doesn't work. You can't pack 3 leagues of football into a 90 min show and still have decent analysis/engagement.

A broadcaster needs to come along and admit that the audience for L1/L2 highlights is low enough not to warrant screen time. Show the Championship highlights with a MOTD type format and move the L1/L2 highlights to online only.

I don't want analysis/engagement.

I want action and goals.

I don't mind a player/manager interview afterwards.

Why do I need to tell me what's happened in the match? I'm not retarded - I've just watched it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Aug 2015 23:41

Angry Shed Sex
blueroyals The format hasn't really ever worked. ITV had a crack, then BBC and now C5. It just doesn't work. You can't pack 3 leagues of football into a 90 min show and still have decent analysis/engagement.

I don't want analysis/engagement.

I want action and goals.

I don't mind a player/manager interview afterwards.

Why do I need to tell me what's happened in the match? I'm not retarded - I've just watched it.

You were doing well until the last sentence.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Aug 2015 10:02

You could just make the show longer, since there's nothing on C5 at night on a Saturday(or any other time) that anyone wants to watch.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Aug 2015 10:04

If they cut the audience participation, the presenters presenting they would have more time to show the highlights and maybe some analysis.... however, maybe they should consider having two shows for the Championship and Leagues 1+2 or just one longer show?.... or here's a novel idea, which would get advertising revenue. Show 3-5 mins highlights from one game, then one 20 second ad, then another game and another ad etc, fans won't necessarily bother fast forwarding though the ads then... skip the studio part altogether and save on presenter wages/overheads.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 11 Aug 2015 10:16

Forbury Lion
blueroyals Show 3-5 mins highlights from one game, then one 20 second ad,

I've never understood why channels which rely on TV advertising don't do this already. In a normal programme, why they don't just cut to a 20 second advert instead of 3-4 minutes of solid advertising where people record the programme just skip through it. Those who watch live will probably channel hop or get up and do something, check phone, etc...

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Aug 2015 10:18

advertisers now ensure that their ads contain exactly the correct amount of time where the logo is displayed so that it appears on screen for long enough when people are skipping through to sumbliminally do the job of getting into someones head and sticking there.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Aug 2015 10:19

bobby1413
Forbury Lion
blueroyals Show 3-5 mins highlights from one game, then one 20 second ad,

I've never understood why channels which rely on TV advertising don't do this already. In a normal programme, why they don't just cut to a 20 second advert instead of 3-4 minutes of solid advertising where people record the programme just skip through it. Those who watch live will probably channel hop or get up and do something, check phone, etc...
It would be a bit annoying during an episode of Coronation Street or a live game but would work perfectly for a footy highlights show.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Aug 2015 10:22

melonhead advertisers now ensure that their ads contain exactly the correct amount of time where the logo is displayed so that it appears on screen for long enough when people are skipping through to sumbliminally do the job of getting into someones head and sticking there.
The best ones are like the Volvo Game of Thrones ads that appear at the start and end..... I can't remember if GOT has ad breaks, but Thronecast does. They work as you see the Volvo and press before it restarts, I associate Volvos with helping me miss the ads and not the programe on Game of Thrones now, which is a good thing.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Aug 2015 11:02

agreed

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 11 Aug 2015 11:02

Folk need to remember that TV stations are massively regul8ed over the amount and frequency of ad breaks. Having "blipverts" is, I think, not allowed.
Also, football highlights will be restricted by the contract with the football league and the TV company with the live match rights. Both will limit how much of each game C5 are allowed to show - that's why there's so much "filler". C5 want to get as much airtime filled as cheaply as they can given the restrictions on advertising and the minutes of match highlights they're allowed to show.
That said, a studio audience and fans' opinions are terrible ideas.

174 posts