Middlesbrough BFTG

149 posts
MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Middlesbrough BFTG

by MoorgateRoyal » 03 Oct 2015 19:01

Good performance and a great result. This should be the benchmark for the team to look to each week.

Al-Habsi looked confident, the back four were never really troubled, midfield once again looked dynamic and dangerous, and the forward line caused Boro trouble all afternoon.

Hector was immense, Williams ran the show in the middle and I have to say that Hal was superb, working really hard for the team and creating so much space for others.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2015 19:03

PieEater Boro had 63% possession but only one shot on target the whole game - that says it all, their one chance was a dodgy free kick were we had 2 in the wall and should of had 3, but Al Habsi saved it.

That spaff high and wide when through on goal was both mighty relieving and oxf*rd hilarious though.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 03 Oct 2015 19:03

ayjaydee Special mention also for HRK who in the past I have escape- goated for his lack of effort.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 03 Oct 2015 19:04

McShane MoM for me. He was commanding everywhere.
Hector was brilliant but too many hoofs and glory balls.
Williams had some good runs but sometimes into blinds alleys
Will give a shout to HRK, don't like him but he put in a shift today

Overall, a good job professionally done. Boy is our defence solid

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 03 Oct 2015 19:08

'Boro passed the ball around nicely but most of the time gave the impression that scoring a goal or two might be beneath them. So much possession, so little threat.

Whereas, we looked to create every time we got the ball. 14 shots, 4 on target for 37% of the possession sums up the more penetrative style of counter attacking football we're producing.

Williams, Hector, Mcshane and Norwood all absolutely outstanding. Nobody has a bad game (although Piazon was a bit too ineffective for me).

Al-Habsi produced the only really good save a Reading keeper has made all season that I can think of. Kicking largely good. He can be pleased with that performance.

Looked like a soft penalty to me - although I have yet to see it again.

Overall, 6 points from Burnley and 'Boro is a fantastic return. No one can say it was lucky. This looks like a very good Reading side.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Oct 2015 19:12

Can Chelsea recall Hector? Looks like they need him tbf, lol.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Oct 2015 19:20

For anyone confused by my previous post I should have added the phrase 'crisis-club' before the word 'Chelsea.'

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 03 Oct 2015 19:28

I thought we played like an away side today. Perhaps the early goal caused that.

Boro where good in possession, but had no penetration (Oooeeer Misses)

I have seen us play better and lose.

The defence were excellent today and a big thumbs up to Hector who was superb.

I thought the first half we were over run in midfield despite the best efforts of Struggle Pig and Norwood. Unfortunately Piazon was a little light weight. Second half was better.

Boro looked a half decent team with a load of Foreign sounding names, (probably explains their diving and play acting antics) however comfortable in possession they had nothing to trouble Old Flapsy.
Oh and finally what a shite ref. Gave almost everything 50/50 in their favour (Except the penalty LOL)

Onwards and upwards............. Happy Days

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2015 19:57

Make no mistake, this is a special result. Bro had just won 7 games on the bounce, scoring 18 and conceding just 4 goals in those seven games. (PS Burnley have won 5 drawn 1 of their last seven, their only defeat in 7 is by us.)

Unbelievable start which showed just what we are capable of these days, a move involving Blackman and then HRK who crossed for the energetic Williams to head home after the ball cleared Sa.

As SC said on BBC Berks, the early goal changed the next 90 minutes as Boro had to come out and play, allowing RFC to contain and break.

Boro players all looked solid and for sure they'll be top six, and before today were deserved favourites to win the league. But yet again, despite their possession, we kept another side down to just ONE on-target shot (well saved by Al Habsi). McShane-Hector (or McShane-Ferdinand) looks a division better than Pearce-Hector did last year, but we need to remember that both fullbacks are (so far) having a very good season.

To my amateur eye it isn't always that obvious that we have a stay-back defensive midfielder (presumably Norwood) but it's clear that the midfield is doing a great covering job.

One brilliant moment of skill on the right from Blackman, first half, but he looked slightly quieter. (Turns out SC had "sacrificed" him, asking him to play a more defensive game...)

The CBs were excellent, the FBs solid. Al Habsi was almost perfect and looked confident.

Some of Sa's close control, often with zero space was outstanding. IMO he is way better a target man than Pog ever was. HRK worked his socks off and got a good assist. Piazon shows some class but looked a bit lightweight. Against a weaker side he might look a world-beater, but he needs to be tougher.

Norwood really makes this team play. He is class and gets some great tackles/interceptions in.

Williams made some great surging runs through midfield, helped to win the penalty and scored a goal. He gets good marks on the day, but I thought our midfield versus Everton looked far more fluid/better when the one "individual" (Williams) didn't play.

McShane, Hector, Norwood, Williams, Al Habsi (maybe HRK) were all worth 8s, the rest 7+

John looked a player in his short stint. Tish ditto.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2015 19:58

Quality. Starting to really love blackman

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 03 Oct 2015 20:27

That was an excellent game between two good sides. Boro were alert to the danger of conceding an early goal but it didn't help them! At 1-0 down they they had to come up with a Plan B after 15 seconds and, although they bossed the possession, certainly in the first half, they never really threatened whereas we looked dangerous every time we attacked at speed.

On the Boro forums they are bemoaning the fact that Nugent was out for them (although he was on the bench). But we could equally well point to the absence of Ferdinand, Vydra and, as it happens, Bond. Boro manager, Aitor Karanka, said this after the game “If people think it's going to be easy and we are the best they are wrong because every team is difficult and Reading are one of the best.”

MOTM for me was Hector who was a rock but Williams put in a shift, McShane was solid as usual and Al Habsi didn't put a foot wrong. As others have mentioned, Piazon showed some nice touches but wants too much time on the ball and he surely must realise by now that he won't get that in the Championship! But, all in all, it was a great team performance and a fantastic result.

We are now 3rd in the table only 4 points off the top spot. However, all four of us in the play-off positions are on 18 points and 3 points only separates the next 6 teams! It is very tight but I'm loving this Reading squad!!

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 03 Oct 2015 20:28

NewCorkSeth Quality. Starting to really love A blackman

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 03 Oct 2015 20:35

Glad they didn't bring Nugent on.

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 03 Oct 2015 20:46

phil in cornwall Glad they didn't bring Nugent on.

he was injured , hamstring.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Oct 2015 21:01

Not convinced Borough actually had any shots on target. Pretty certain that Al-habsi's save came from a deflection off Sa.....

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 03 Oct 2015 21:04

Al Habsi - Did well with tricky free kick in 1st half. Good with crosses. Can't remember anything he did wrong. Much improved since Everton.
Gunter - great goal-saving tackle in 1st half. Solid
Obita - got forward well when had chance. Defended well
McShane - seems to want to win everything in the air wherever it is on the pitch. Fortunately he wins a huge proportion of them. I'd say best CB we've had since 106 team.
Hector - quality today. Some fine tackles, headers, interceptions and distribution. Back to the form he showed last Spring. Looks cheap at £4M now and have to hope Jose's forgotten about him.
Norwood - some decent tackles & good distribution
Williams - great to see a CM arrive late in the box for a goal. Sidwell-esque. Some decent runs & tackles. Ran into a couple of dead ends.
Piazon - looked like he expected to get more time of the ball than Boro were prepared to allow, hassled/bullied off too often.
Blackman - worked hard. One delightful turn in the 1st half that if Ronaldo had done would have had commentators 'gasming all over their mikes. Very little to show for his efforts for much of the game until right at the end. Coolly taken pen.
HRK - Great cross for 1st goal. Couple of quality through balls and runs. Decent performance
Sa - a good outlet all game. Worked hard. Couple of poor choices in terms of who to pass to/when to pass.

John - didn't have a lot of opportunity to shine but improved the team when he came on & gave Boro something else to worry about
Tish - brief cameo but couple of decent tackles and passes. Could have come on earlier to combat Boro's physicality

MOM - Hec for me but narrow margins. A lot of good performances against decent oppo.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Oct 2015 21:04

Snowball Make no mistake, this is a special result. Bro had just won 7 games on the bounce, scoring 18 and conceding just 4 goals in those seven games. (PS Burnley have won 5 drawn 1 of their last seven, their only defeat in 7 is by us.)

Unbelievable start which showed just what we are capable of these days, a move involving Blackman and then HRK who crossed for the energetic Williams to head home after the ball cleared Sa.

As SC said on BBC Berks, the early goal changed the next 90 minutes as Boro had to come out and play, allowing RFC to contain and break.

Boro players all looked solid and for sure they'll be top six, and before today were deserved favourites to win the league. But yet again, despite their possession, we kept another side down to just ONE on-target shot (well saved by Al Habsi). McShane-Hector (or McShane-Ferdinand) looks a division better than Pearce-Hector did last year, but we need to remember that both fullbacks are (so far) having a very good season.

To my amateur eye it isn't always that obvious that we have a stay-back defensive midfielder (presumably Norwood) but it's clear that the midfield is doing a great covering job.

One brilliant moment of skill on the right from Blackman, first half, but he looked slightly quieter. (Turns out SC had "sacrificed" him, asking him to play a more defensive game...)

The CBs were excellent, the FBs solid. Al Habsi was almost perfect and looked confident.

Some of Sa's close control, often with zero space was outstanding. IMO he is way better a target man than Pog ever was. HRK worked his socks off and got a good assist. Piazon shows some class but looked a bit lightweight. Against a weaker side he might look a world-beater, but he needs to be tougher.

Norwood really makes this team play. He is class and gets some great tackles/interceptions in.

Williams made some great surging runs through midfield, helped to win the penalty and scored a goal. He gets good marks on the day, but I thought our midfield versus Everton looked far more fluid/better when the one "individual" (Williams) didn't play.

McShane, Hector, Norwood, Williams, Al Habsi (maybe HRK) were all worth 8s, the rest 7+

John looked a player in his short stint. Tish ditto.

Agree with almost all this, nice summary. Thought Williams was exceptional today but loads of strong performances.

First true sign we'll be up there come May as Boro really are a solid side and we edged them out today. Whole club is buzzing so much compared to last season - Thai's and Clarke deserve a lot of credit.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 03 Oct 2015 21:20

Nameless Not convinced Borough actually had any shots on target. Pretty certain that Al-habsi's save came from a deflection off Sa.....

Downing's shot from the fee kick looked fairly on target from where i was sitting. That was a very good reaction save.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2015 21:25

Maguire
First true sign we'll be up there come May as Boro really are a solid side and we edged them out today. Whole club is buzzing so much compared to last season - Thai's and Clarke deserve a lot of credit.

When you consider we've played three of the favourites already...

We've played 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 10th, 12th

2-0 WIN
1-2 LOSE (deflection, hector slip, disallowed goal, missed penalty)
1-2 WIN
0-1 Lose (Sa sent off, first half)
1-1 Draw (Should have been a win, Bond dropped ball)
5-1 WIN

11-6 and 10 points from 6 tough games

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Oct 2015 21:57

Royal Ginger
Nameless Not convinced Borough actually had any shots on target. Pretty certain that Al-habsi's save came from a deflection off Sa.....

Downing's shot from the fee kick looked fairly on target from where i was sitting. That was a very good reaction save.

But it was a deflection off Sa.....

149 posts