The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7830 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2014/15

by ZacNaloen » 22 Oct 2015 17:07

Yet our record earlier in the season when more of them where in and around the first team wasn't that bad...

Weird how football works.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Oct 2015 17:13

ZacNaloen Yet our record earlier in the season when more of them where in and around the first team wasn't that bad...

Weird how football works.

Yeah, there was no insinuation or angle in my post I was just stating a fact and people could use it how they like.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Oct 2015 21:49

Vision The other point is that if both of those remained playing under 21 football then surely that potentially blocks the development of other potentially good young players in mcuh the same way you claim that signing the likes of Piazon for the first team does.

Moot point as long as the club keep selecting Conor effing Shaughnessy in Kuhl's position.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Oct 2015 22:29

That's an unfortunate middle name.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2015 07:41

genome That's an unfortunate middle name.

Its actually quite a popular unisex irish name. The irish language version being feckin'.
I'm sure Roy Keanes full name is Feckin' Roy O'Keaneeshy but he took the English version for simplicities sake. Which is rare for natives of Cork. Other examples are Effin' Sinead O'Connor, Feckin' Bono and Barack Effin' O'Obama.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 25 Oct 2015 15:35

U18`s lost 2-0 away to the league leaders Chelsea yesterday. They are now 3rd in the table 4 pts behind Chelsea

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Oct 2015 16:26

Match report here

Summary: first half was dull, Chelsea dominated possession but we kept them at bay. They scored just before half time.
In the second half, we look dominant, but Chelsea block our shots and eventually grab another.
Barrett gets pulled back when through on goal and the Chelsea defender gets sent off.
We start really battering them, but miss at least five chances.

The forwards have been in great form this season, so this probably isn't anything to worry about.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 26 Oct 2015 15:18

Free entry at madejski tonight, who's going?

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 26 Oct 2015 17:05

Me + 2 sons

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Oct 2015 19:56

1-0 up at H/T. Nova.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 26 Oct 2015 20:05

looks like an attacking line-up...

Reading U21 starting XI vs Norwich: Moore, Stacey, Griffin, Shaughnessy, Cooper, Sweeney, Samuel, Kelly, Liburd, Novakovich, Fosu.

Stacey at right back, with Samuel in front of him?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Oct 2015 21:17

2-0 FT. Fridge with 2nd.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Oct 2015 21:25

That's a hell of an attacking line up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Oct 2015 07:33

Not the greatest of games to be honest.
Not sure I'm sold on the new club policy of picking a load of exciting players but not really getting a workable blend.
Despite the wealth of attackers we didn't create much and never really got going. Stacey performed fine at right back and got in some decent forward runs. Other than that it was just flashes of quality amid plenty of not much.
Norwich worked hard but never really looked like scoring.
Good to have Samuel and Stacey back, although whether either gets anything more competitive than this for the next six months may be down to loan deals.

Murty was coaching Norwich.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 27 Oct 2015 09:33

Reading U 21`s now 2nd in the table-2 pts behind Sunderland with a game in hand http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matc ... e=NATIONAL

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 Oct 2015 10:03

Crap game, Reading struggled to create much and were quite sloppy in possession, Norwich offered nothing.

First goal was a great bit of poaching from Samuel though to pick the pocket of the full back, and we nearly scored a second with a repeat.

Second goal from an mildly amusing game of head tennis in their box finished off by Fridj

Remain unconvinced by Shaughnessy

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Oct 2015 11:12

ZacNaloen Second goal from an mildly amusing game of head tennis in their box finished off by Fridj

Don't think that quite does it justice. Fantastic switching pass from Cooper, Semedo drew his man and then played a lovely disguised pass to Hyam on the overlap.

Samuel keeps getting injured at bad times. He's probably fallen behind Liburd in the pecking order. Samuel worked very hard yesterday, but he obviously isn't a winger. Stacey was also a little shaky defensively but his pace covered for him a lot.

Hope we don't keep trying to force our "best eleven" into the team. Maybe put Novakovich on the wing and Samuel up front, else get either Liburd or Samuel on loan to League One or the Championship, move Stacey up the pitch, and stick Owusu or Sheppard or Watson at right back. Last night's set up didn't quite cut it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Oct 2015 13:33

I'd say Liburd is well ahead of Samuel now, can't see much about his game that isn't significantly better than anything I've seen from Samuel. Whether a loan move is a good idea I'm not sure. He's one injury away from being in the first team squad IMHO.

Last night's team looked to me to be about getting a couple of players game time on the way back from injury so Samuel and Stacey got an hour each and the fact neither were actually in position didn't mean too much.

The midfield was the weakest area, although Kelly did well and I would love him to make the grade even if I can't see it actually happening.

Says something about the squad that we can pick a somewhat strange lineup and still win comfortably against a Premiership academy.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Oct 2015 14:40

Nameless I'd say Liburd is well ahead of Samuel now, can't see much about his game that isn't significantly better than anything I've seen from Samuel. Whether a loan move is a good idea I'm not sure. He's one injury away from being in the first team squad IMHO.

Last night's team looked to me to be about getting a couple of players game time on the way back from injury so Samuel and Stacey got an hour each and the fact neither were actually in position didn't mean too much.

The midfield was the weakest area, although Kelly did well and I would love him to make the grade even if I can't see it actually happening.

Says something about the squad that we can pick a somewhat strange lineup and still win comfortably against a Premiership academy.

Being Premier League means little with academies as it's down to the clubs how much investment they put into it, however with all the money Prem teams get, there's pretty much zero excuse not to be Cat 1, to be fair all but 3 are already Cat 1, the exceptions are:

Cat 2: Watford + Palace
Cat 3: lolBournemouth

Which makes me think about Bournemouth, there is absolutely nothing Premier League about them, their ground is rubbish and the decided against expanding upon promotion, instead charging ridiculous prices for season tickets and the previously mentioned Cat 3 academy, doesn't seem like a lot of long-term planning has gone on there.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Oct 2015 15:15

tidus_mi2
Nameless I'd say Liburd is well ahead of Samuel now, can't see much about his game that isn't significantly better than anything I've seen from Samuel. Whether a loan move is a good idea I'm not sure. He's one injury away from being in the first team squad IMHO.

Being Premier League means little with academies as it's down to the clubs how much investment they put into it, however with all the money Prem teams get, there's pretty much zero excuse not to be Cat 1, to be fair all but 3 are already Cat 1, the exceptions are:

Cat 2: Watford + Palace
Cat 3: lolBournemouth

Which makes me think about Bournemouth, there is absolutely nothing Premier League about them, their ground is rubbish and the decided against expanding upon promotion, instead charging ridiculous prices for season tickets and the previously mentioned Cat 3 academy, doesn't seem like a lot of long-term planning has gone on there.

Strange thing to say. It doesn't seem like long-term policies have already been implemented? What 3 months into the season? I'd agree with not going gung-ho with expansion plans upon promotion, maybe trying to establish yourself first would be a good idea.

Listen you might now in more depth about it, but on the face of it it doesn't seem a bad idea. Expensive STH are harsh, but their demand heavily out ways supply at the moment, but perhaps not enough to justify an expansion if they go down.

7830 posts