Who do you want to replace Clarke?

1219 posts

Which one of these gentlemen, not currently managing, should lead the mighty Reading FC?

Steve Coppell
12%
Alan Curbishley
2%
Paolo Di Canio
2%
Avram Grant
1%
Glenn Hoddle
5%
Paul Ince
1%
Martin Kuhl
2%
Ally McCoist
1%
Brian McDermott
17%
David Moyes
12%
Nigel Pearson
24%
Gus Poyet
2%
Brendan Rodgers
2%
Uwe Rosler
0%
Tim Sherwood
3%
Mark Warburton
4%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes: 368
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who do you want to replace Clarke?

by Uke » 07 Dec 2015 12:43

Ian Royal Re: BMc, I'd have some reservations about his ability to manage as successfully without the same personal links, and to work well with the blend of players in the squad.

I also have concerns that if it doesn't quickly go well, it could open old wounds and splits in the fanbase and taint his record here.

Nothing concrete and if he can work with a more creative and finessed style of play and get results early then he's nothing short of perfect.

I spose that's less of a gamble than most other options.

When he went to Leeds he didn't 'know' the squad

Then Cellino got involved

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2015 12:43

On the subject of flukes. I think McDermott winning the league was a fluke, i don't think getting promoted was.

I think Coppell breaking the record was a fluke, i don't think winning the league was.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Dec 2015 12:44

I'm on of Brian's biggest fans and as a result I really am reluctant for him to return. He's held in high esteem amongst the club and fans for his attitude, his demeanour, the promotion season and just the way he conducted himself.

I am of the "don't go back" opinion as I just think it can taint and tarnish memories. I'd rather us forever remember the good times and just move on.

That said, if he did come back I'd be quite excited and I think the club would be hugely boosted and fans would be very supportive of him. Just hope that it would be successful

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Dec 2015 12:46

Nigel Pearson, promoted with Leicester once, came back and promoted again.
Coppell, promoted with Palace once, came back and promoted again.
Graham Taylor, promoted with Watford three times, came back and did it twice more.
Eddie Howe, promoted with Bournemouth once, came back and promoted twice more.

Never go back – one of football’s very stupidest clichés.

Biggest :| is Reading fans (led by Arsenal-supporter Charles Watts) getting all excited about Dennis Bergkamp (no managerial experience, presumably little/no knowledge of the Championship) and then getting sniffy about Brian McDermott (1 Championship title win and 1 play off final in 2 full seasons, 1.7 PPP as Reading manager in the Champ). We are Reading FFS. Quite honestly, we are unlikely ever to be able to attract a manager with a better pedigree in terms of managing in the Championship than Brian McDermott. He has his limitation, sure. But Reading as a club have just as many limitations.

Experienced Championship coach/manager > high profile 'name' with no experience at this level.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Dec 2015 12:47

Uke
Ian Royal Re: BMc, I'd have some reservations about his ability to manage as successfully without the same personal links, and to work well with the blend of players in the squad.

I also have concerns that if it doesn't quickly go well, it could open old wounds and splits in the fanbase and taint his record here.

Nothing concrete and if he can work with a more creative and finessed style of play and get results early then he's nothing short of perfect.

Indeed yet he still had a 37% win ratio at Leeds.

Not too shabby at all.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2015 12:48

Uke

He wasn't exactly pulling up trees before Cellino from what I remember.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Dec 2015 12:51

^ He was hugely well-liked by a Leeds fanbase which can be more than a mite choosy (ie. hated Dennise Wise/Ken Bates.....albeit who would find either of those two likeable?).

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 07 Dec 2015 12:52

I wouldn't say that McDermott would be number one choice (as I have suggested before it should be Mick Mccarthy). But I do not get the negativity towards the appointment if he is installed as manager. Since Coppell left, McDermott has been far and away the best manager we had in terms of the Championship. Despite a pretty negative reaction when he was appointed compared to the others lets not forget where we are - marooned in mid table in the championship. So we have the chance og fetting someone in who knows the championship like the back of his hand, knows reading like the back of his hand and who has recent experience of leading a team into the Premier League. I'm relaxed about his premier League record simply because we aren't even close to a return currently despite having a far better squad than he took up.

This never go back stuff is nonsense. I think people should admit that they don't want Mcdermott back because they want the excitement of 'someone new' despite McDermott having a far better track record and understanding of reading. Look where that approach has got us.... I would say that Pardew Coppell and McDermott have been our most successful managers in the last 20 years and its no coincidence that two of them emerged from other roles at Reading and the third was given time to change the team and get to know reading. If you want the drama of someone new fair enough - but you have to accept its going to be a greater risk and more likely to fail compared to bringing in McDermott or someone who knows the Championship really well.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Dec 2015 12:54

floyd__streete Nigel Pearson, promoted with Leicester once, came back and promoted again.
Graham Taylor, promoted with Watford three times, came back and did it twice more.

Where is Graham Taylor these days? Since he's the obvious candidate from that list.

Plus Graham Taylor soccer challenge was class on the Amiga.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 07 Dec 2015 12:55

He was lucky to get the team promoted, he failed when they got up, he failed at Leeds - Like the bloke but not a winner - too soft for our lot now. My choice would be Stubbs rather than Pearson who is just scary!! Berghamp would transform the club long term but we wouldn't give him the time

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 07 Dec 2015 12:56

floyd__streete Nigel Pearson, promoted with Leicester once, came back and promoted again.

Biggest :| is Reading fans (led by Arsenal-supporter Charles Watts) getting all excited about Dennis Bergkamp (no managerial experience, presumably little/no knowledge of the Championship) and then getting sniffy about Brian McDermott (1 Championship title win and 1 play off final in 2 full seasons, 1.7 PPP as Reading manager in the Champ). We are Reading FFS. Quite honestly, we are unlikely ever to be able to attract a manager with a better pedigree in terms of managing in the Championship than Brian McDermott. He has his limitation, sure. But Reading as a club have just as many limitations.

Experienced Championship coach/manager > high profile 'name' with no experience at this level.

But what is here still, that McD would know? - all the staff is now different and the players....well there's only about 4 still left from his era

Might as well get Colin, at least he's got a better record at gettings teams promoted

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Dec 2015 12:58

paddy20 He was lucky to get the team promoted

:lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Dec 2015 13:01

TBM But what is here still, that McD would know? - all the staff is now different and the players....well there's only about 4 still left from his era

Given that since leaving Reading he has taken up another Championship managerial position and then taken up a scouting role I'd suggest he knows the top two divisions of english football well, which is probably the main thing really.

TBM Might as well get Colin, at least he's got a better record at gettings teams promoted

I wouldn't be against that at all, tbh :!:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Dec 2015 13:03

TBM But what is here still, that McD would know? - all the staff is now different and the players....well there's only about 4 still left from his era

HRK, McCleary, Gunter, Blackman, and the (then) academy players and staff.

NO to Colin. I'd rather have floyd and Ian manage together. Of all managers to work in the top three divisions in the last decade, I'd prefer everyone except Di Canio.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Dec 2015 13:05

SCIAG I'd rather have floyd

I think we should get this printed on tea towels.....

biff

by biff » 07 Dec 2015 13:20

Gary Monk rumoured to have gone from Swansea. Dream but WCBAP?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Dec 2015 13:27

Why would Gary Monk be a dream? One good season at Swansea after inheriting a very good team. Now in free fall.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Dec 2015 13:29

Absolutely spot on.

I wouldn't mind Brian at all.

But for the same reasons I'd go with Coppell over Brian but that's just personal preference.

A big no to Bergcamp. I have absolutely no idea why a previously good player with no managerial experience should be any good. Having said that though everyone starts somewhere and except for Coppell who had a stellar record before he joined us our best managers were all unproven (i.e. Parj, FSB, King Brian). The big difference between them and Bergcamp though is that they were already known to us and knew our setup and we were in a good position to assess them and give them a chance. I'd rather Hoddle over Bergcamp, but you never know he may turn out good because, er, he used to play for Arsenal and was quite good!??

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 07 Dec 2015 13:39

Add to that list Tony Pulis who managed Stoke twice and got them promoted 2nd time round.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Dec 2015 13:41

Every manager was new once. He might be amazing. Was a great player with intelligence and a genuine understanding of the game. Plus he's well respected and would attract good players.

He's a gamble and Brian is a safer option but that's why I'm more up for it tbh

1219 posts