BFTG - Bristol City

134 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Bristol City

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2016 12:42

Always good to read BFTG when not able to make it to a game.
Sky Sports reporter was saying that it was an atrocious game of football but the same was being said about a number of games in the Championship confirming what we already know-Championship is the least entertaining level of football in England.
Interesting to read that some posters felt that certain players were "excellent" with snowball in particular going so far over the top you would have assumed we had won 6-0.Perhaps they might reconsider what constitutes excellent.

Amongst the postings I thought Dr H made a comment worth debating regarding Norwood.
Most of us believe that Norwood has been our best player this season (and I am one of those) but I think he is wasted in the quarter-back role and I would like to see him playing further forward where his eye for a pass can be much more damaging.
Once Tish is fit maybe this will happen with Norwood playing closer to Vydra, the only other player capable of playing the killer ball.

A very welcome 3 points if only against a bottom 3 club and hopefully (it sounds like it) GMac did enough to be brought back in as a starter-on the right?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2016 12:47

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Jan 2016 13:03

Why are they called Teds?

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 03 Jan 2016 13:20

Victor Meldrew Most of us believe that Norwood has been our best player this season (and I am one of those) but I think he is wasted in the quarter-back role and I would like to see him playing further forward where his eye for a pass can be much more damaging.

I wouldnt disagree with all of this.
FTR, I wasnt trolling. I just dont believe Norwood / Williams is a particularly effective partnership and we have enough midfielders to stop us becoming a 'shambles'. Id be more inclined to believe Norwood can play further up the pitch when I see him play more games against sides that dont sit deep and let him play how he wants. Yeah, he did look good yesterday, but we also only won on the last minute against an out of form, bottom 3 side. Thats pretty much symbolic of how I see our central midfield.

Victor Meldrew A very welcome 3 points if only against a bottom 3 club and hopefully (it sounds like it) GMac did enough to be brought back in as a starter-on the right?

Macleary got to the edge of the 18 yard box a few times yesterday without even trying - he's class. He's really the only real winger we have. There is another thread somewhere which I tend to agree with, stating that Blackman/McLeary/Vydra would be a good starting line up. Id have Garath on the right wing with Vydra and Blackman interchanging as inside forward/ frontman. You can sense that we WANT to play the very fashionable fluid 4-2-3-1 and we arent that far away from it.

I, like everybody, want Tish back. Think there's a good run in the team waiting for him.

mbb

by mbb » 03 Jan 2016 13:35

https://youtu.be/Wqtdtou8zLE

This could be used as an educational video on the effects of inbreeding!

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 Jan 2016 13:40

mbb https://youtu.be/Wqtdtou8zLE

Good idea to read the last two pages before posting mate

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 03 Jan 2016 13:50

mbb https://youtu.be/Wqtdtou8zLE

A football match happened too.

yappy

by yappy » 03 Jan 2016 13:57

Agree regarding the comments on Norwood being a little wasted in the quarter back role. Actually watched the 06/07 season DVD a few weeks ago and it reminded me of Harps & Sidwell always being on the move making themselves open for the pass. Norwood always sits deeper for the easy pass and we sometimes lose momentum going forward because of this. Ok to sit deeper in a midfield three but would like Norwood to get forward a little more in a midfield two.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Jan 2016 14:13

I thought it was pretty entertaining.
Alot of shit. But quite entertaining inbetween

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 03 Jan 2016 14:30

Just seen the goal. Lol @ the City defenders being the only 2 people in the stadium not expecting Blackman to cut inside.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 Jan 2016 14:41

jd82 Just seen the goal. Lol @ the City defenders being the only 2 people in the stadium not expecting Blackman to cut inside.

Blackman is so most left footed player I`ve ever seen. and if the city players didn`t know that i think they need a new coach

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 03 Jan 2016 16:50

genome
marlowuk
genome Ferdinand 7 - Looked very assured coming back, harshly booked for a 50/50.

Yes he did look assured for most of the game but the deserved booking came because he held their attacker who otherwise would have beaten him for pace and been in on goal.

From where I was sitting it looked as though they were both grappling just as much with one another. I can't remember spotting that he would've been in on goal, I'm sure I remember there being plenty of defenders back, but I could be wrong.

As I recall it was a fast City break so there was not much cover for us in defence. I agree that Ferdinand is one of our best players but he was clearly not match fit and the winger looked as if he could outrun him easily. Hence the professional foul.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2016 17:03

3points
RG7Fan Ref - poor.
Away linesman - absolute legend.

Thought the ref was alright today compared to a lot we've had this season.

Not sure about that - I'm pretty sure his poor control & poor decision making led to it kicking off between Gunter, Blackman and Cotterill.

Bizarrely he allowed City to take a quick free kick whilst their defender was lying injured on the ground having pulled something. However, a second or so later when City cocked up and allowed Al-Habsi to gather the ball, he then stopped play with us in possession so the guy could be treated. He then allowed the injured player to stand a yard inside the pitch from the touchline, delaying the restart rather than getting off, until City were ready to bring their sub on.

Later on a City player took a pop at our goal whilst the ref had his back turned marking the line for the wall and he brought the kick back to be taken again without even having a word with the offending player. Left me wondering whether he would have had the balls to disallow the goal had the ball gone in from the first attempt.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 Jan 2016 17:15

RoyalBlue
3points
RG7Fan Ref - poor.
Away linesman - absolute legend.

Thought the ref was alright today compared to a lot we've had this season.

Not sure about that - I'm pretty sure his poor control & poor decision making led to it kicking off between Gunter, Blackman and Cotterill.

Bizarrely he allowed City to take a quick free kick whilst their defender was lying injured on the ground having pulled something. However, a second or so later when City cocked up and allowed Al-Habsi to gather the ball, he then stopped play with us in possession so the guy could be treated. He then allowed the injured player to stand a yard inside the pitch from the touchline, delaying the restart rather than getting off, until City were ready to bring their sub on.

Later on a City player took a pop at our goal whilst the ref had his back turned marking the line for the wall and he brought the kick back to be taken again without even having a word with the offending player. Left me wondering whether he would have had the balls to disallow the goal had the ball gone in from the first attempt.

TBF McShane did exactly the same thing, he was clearly injured and ready to go off. but he dropped to the ground again to allow Anton time to get ready to come on.

The Cube

by The Cube » 03 Jan 2016 17:49

Pepe the Horseman Why are they called Teds?

It's a contraction of "she teds", which in turn is a variant of ....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Jan 2016 20:49

The Cube
Pepe the Horseman Why are they called Teds?

It's a contraction of "she teds", which in turn is a variant of ....

... girls called Edward?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Jan 2016 21:23

Apparently one of the Bristol City fans who got nicked was a Reading fan. If so what a traitor!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jan 2016 22:30

1-0 and....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jan 2016 23:11

Victor Meldrew Interesting to read that some posters felt that certain players were "excellent" with snowball in particular going so far over the top you would have assumed we had won 6-0.Perhaps they might reconsider what constitutes excellent.

Excuse Me?

Snowball136
El Habsi may make occasional blunders but he looks a far better keeper and actually commands his box
Gunter, IMO played well. . Solid 7
Cooper. Did VERY well, won more headers than anyone else ever does,
McShane Honestly can't remember much good or bad but he isn't as dominant as the early games
Taylor OK
Norwood mostly excellent but a couple of horrendous mistakes. I think various players making mistakes is coming because our shape goes ragged far too often.
Williams, I was bitching about him first half. He wastes a lot of ball. IMO Williams is a "messy" player and contributes less than it appears at first glance,
Quinn, excellent again (great little player). good as a midfielder or LW or LB. Quality pro <<<<<<
Blackman (wing) Did OK except too many passes to Gunter that should have cut out the FB instead of allowing him to block.
Blackman (striker)... a bit of old fashioned channel running or balls over the top a la Shane Long but a well-taken goal. I do NOT think the should start up front.
Vydra is total quality but just drawing a blank ATM. H
Sa, not sure. I think he is by FAR our best hold-up player but he plays like he's not happy at Reading.

McLeary was excellent when he came on, so was HRK. No complaints about Ferdinand (solid) but it's pretty clear his body is packing up

We are a very good squad of players out of luck and out of confidence.

When did "occasional blunders", "solid", "Did very well", "He isn't dominant", " mostly excellent but a couple of horrendous mistakes",
"he wastes a lot of ball and is a messy player", "too many bad passes", "still drawing a blank", and "not sure"

count as "GOING OVER THE TOP"?

YOU NEED TO COME BACK FROM WHATEVER PLANET YOU'RE ON ATM

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jan 2016 23:16

Despite being low on confidence, losing our captain, playing a kid and a crock in defence, we won 1-0

That's WLLW for McD, still maintaining his 50% win record and 1.5 points per game average
and we'll improve as the season goes on.

134 posts