Dellor moaning about Vydra again!!!

537 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Dellor moaning about Vydra again!!!

by SCIAG » 07 Apr 2016 15:15

Top Flight While I'm on the subject of inflation in football, has inflation completely passed Reading by? It seems that we are now real small fry.

When we paid out £1million back in the day for Leroy Lita, that was about the going rate at the time for that type of striker. The club were showing really good ambition. A bit like Burnely paying out £9million for Andre Gray this season.
When we payed £650K for Martin Butler, we were showing real ambition and financial muscle and holding our own in the transfer market.

Now in today's football when you look at the £3million Rangers paid for Connor Washington and the £9million for Gray and the £11 million for McCormack and the £11million for Rhodes. Inflation has passed us by. We cannot compete on those terms anymore.

A good League one striker is now £3million. A good Championship striker mid contract is £11 million.
It seems that we are still in the early 2000's period with our budget. Have we been overtaken?

I think you're focusing on a few prominent examples rather than rules. Championship teams were signing players £4m when we signed Lita. No doubt that there's been some inflation, but we've generally kept pace with it. You're also exaggerating a few of the fees paid - Gray was closer to £6m, Rhodes £9m.

£1m bought us Sa, who was a very good Championship striker. £2.5m got us Vydra, likewise. £3m would have got us Glenn Murray. £600k got us Kermogant who scored 17 goals last season. We got Liburd for very little. Andre Gray is the Championship top scorer and he went for £300k last season. Sam Vokes cost Burnley £350k. Chris Martin was a free transfer! Jamie Vardy and Danny Ings are England internationals who cost £1m when they signed for Championship clubs.

We could take the Fulham route of putting all our eggs in Ross McCormack's basket, but I think it's much better to try and get the players who are still available for reasonable fees. Liburd could well be the next Andre Gray. Samuel's scoring at a similar rate to Washington. We don't need to spend crazy money. For every Lita, there's a Doyle or even a Long (want to check which of those scored the fewest goals?).

No guarantees either way, but I think we'd be better off signing (or promoting) the next Manset, the next Baseya, the next Mooney and the next Long for £2m total, rather than the next £8m lower league king.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Apr 2016 15:29

I'm out of touch but significant investment in other areas that are crucial for long term development towards self-sufficiency have taken priority.

If we had no academy of note and had not invested in other top notch training facilities I guess there would be more money available for a transfer kitty.

Building a club with a sustainable long term plan means some sacrifices have to be made and the dosh available to spend on new players is one of those.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Apr 2016 15:57

we still bring in pretty much the same money per game.....not sure why our budget would have increased

Now in today's football when you look at the £3million Rangers paid for Connor Washington and the £9million for Gray and the £11 million for McCormack and the £11million for Rhodes.
A bit like Burnely paying out £9million for Andre Gray this season.
Inflation has passed us by. We cannot compete on those terms anymore.

lol.

really wouldn't want my club paying those sums for those players.
unless there was a significant change in our funding/income

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Apr 2016 16:52

There was mention on the other page of goals scored, I know this is the main role of a striker but let's never overlook assists.

A striker who plays every game and gets 0 goals may seem a flop but if they get 30 assists a season either directly or indirectly by pulling defenders out of position and creating gaps for others then I wouldn't be displeased with that.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Apr 2016 16:57

hes not got 30 assists either tbf

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2016 17:01

sandman
They all count as they say, but let's not proclaim him the new Cristiano Ronaldo.

Why even say that? Not a single person is arguing that he's had a good season let alone one of the best performers in the league.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 07 Apr 2016 17:27

Ian Royal
sandman
They all count as they say, but let's not proclaim him the new Cristiano Ronaldo.

Why even say that? Not a single person is arguing that he's had a good season let alone one of the best performers in the league.

Sandman is just enjoying winding us all up.

I think 90% of Reading fans back Vydra and rate him. It's only Tim Dellor, Sandman and one or two others that don't. And really Sandman does rate Vydra but he just enjoys the wind up.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Apr 2016 18:02

Top Flight
sandman 3 against a 10 man team that were cruising at 2-0 up and likely to score more but for the red card, two against a league 1 side, two tap ins and one off his arse that he knew little about.

I don't think anyone is proclaiming him as the next Cristiano Ronaldo. The larger problem is that you are expecting him to be as good as Ronaldo because he cost us £2.5million from Watford and he is not living up to your expectation.

£2.5million in today's football money is the same as when we shelled out £150 grand for Dave Kitson in yesterdays footballing cash.

I was expecting him to be a proven championship scorer for Reading due to his time as a proven championship scorer at Watford.

What do you think the club's expectation was when they signed him for that fee with an astonomical transfer fee upon promotion to the premier league?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Apr 2016 18:23

sandman
What do you think the club's expectation was when they signed him for that fee with an astonomical transfer fee upon promotion to the premier league?

Tha no matter what happened, Sandman would moan.

Next Question.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Apr 2016 19:01

Snowball
sandman

Next Question.

Avoiding the question because you don't like the answer and can't cover it up with your bullshit statistical 'analysis'.

He's not been good enough and you know it.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Apr 2016 19:14

Top Flight
Ian Royal
sandman

Sandman is just enjoying winding us all up.

I think 90% of Reading fans back Vydra and rate him. It's only Tim Dellor, Sandman and one or two others that don't. And really Sandman does rate Vydra but he just enjoys the wind up.

There is one of us on the wind up and it's you.

There is no way you can genuinely be so impressed with Vydra's time at the club.

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 07 Apr 2016 19:51

SCIAG
Top Flight While I'm on the subject of inflation in football, has inflation completely passed Reading by? It seems that we are now real small fry.

When we paid out £1million back in the day for Leroy Lita, that was about the going rate at the time for that type of striker. The club were showing really good ambition. A bit like Burnely paying out £9million for Andre Gray this season.
When we payed £650K for Martin Butler, we were showing real ambition and financial muscle and holding our own in the transfer market.

Now in today's football when you look at the £3million Rangers paid for Connor Washington and the £9million for Gray and the £11 million for McCormack and the £11million for Rhodes. Inflation has passed us by. We cannot compete on those terms anymore.

A good League one striker is now £3million. A good Championship striker mid contract is £11 million.
It seems that we are still in the early 2000's period with our budget. Have we been overtaken?

I think you're focusing on a few prominent examples rather than rules. Championship teams were signing players £4m when we signed Lita. No doubt that there's been some inflation, but we've generally kept pace with it. You're also exaggerating a few of the fees paid - Gray was closer to £6m, Rhodes £9m.

£1m bought us Sa, who was a very good Championship striker. £2.5m got us Vydra, likewise. £3m would have got us Glenn Murray. £600k got us Kermogant who scored 17 goals last season. We got Liburd for very little. Andre Gray is the Championship top scorer and he went for £300k last season. Sam Vokes cost Burnley £350k. Chris Martin was a free transfer! Jamie Vardy and Danny Ings are England internationals who cost £1m when they signed for Championship clubs.

We could take the Fulham route of putting all our eggs in Ross McCormack's basket, but I think it's much better to try and get the players who are still available for reasonable fees. Liburd could well be the next Andre Gray. Samuel's scoring at a similar rate to Washington. We don't need to spend crazy money. For every Lita, there's a Doyle or even a Long (want to check which of those scored the fewest goals?).

No guarantees either way, but I think we'd be better off signing (or promoting) the next Manset, the next Baseya, the next Mooney and the next Long for £2m total, rather than the next £8m lower league king.

Good post, couldn't agree more.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 07 Apr 2016 21:48

sandman
Snowball
sandman

Next Question.

Avoiding the question because you don't like the answer and can't cover it up with your bullshit statistical 'analysis'.

He's not been good enough and you know it.

Let me be TOTALLY clear. I believe Vydra is a fantastic player and has played brilliantly for us
but is having a tough time in front of goal. Nevertheless he has scored NINE goals and got three assists.
I would sign him in a heartbeat and I believe that if we did he would score 25 goals next season

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 07 Apr 2016 21:52

If the only criteria is

"We wanted him to score twenty goals" (END) then Vydra has "failed"

but I think his contribution has been immense, we look better when he is in the side,
he is our classiest player (with Piazon) and would be a fabulous permanent signing.

It is only the EXPECTATION that is colouring things. 9 Goals 3 assists in his minutes on the pitch
is very very decent, and his mins/goal might yet rise.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Apr 2016 22:21

Snowball136 I would sign him in a heartbeat and I believe that if we did he would score 25 goals next season

Will he fit the system next year. At the moment I'd say not. Piazon would be the better option. I'd prefer the money to be spent on midfield.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Apr 2016 08:53

Snowball136 If the only criteria is

but I think his contribution has been immense, we look better when he is in the side,
he is our classiest player (with Piazon) and would be a fabulous permanent signing.

It is only the EXPECTATION that is colouring things. 9 Goals 3 assists in his minutes on the pitch

See, you've got it with your first sentence. When the club signed him they put out a major outlay on a proven championship striker who they were expecting to score the goals to win them promotion. He has failed to do that.

Of course the expectation of him scoring goals is 'colouring' things because he's a striker and that is what he was brought here to do.

It's a business and the owners expect results. Do you think they're sitting in Thailand twiddling their thumbs saying "well at least he runs around a lot"

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Apr 2016 09:07

sandman
Snowball136 If the only criteria is

See, you've got it with your first sentence. When the club signed him they put out a major outlay on a proven championship striker who they were expecting to score the goals to win them promotion. He has failed to do that.

Of course the expectation of him scoring goals is 'colouring' things because he's a striker and that is what he was brought here to do.

and you failed to READ my sentence which begins with the word IF

Our whole front line has misfired this season except for a purple patch from
Blackman that was largely a surprise. But, meanwhile "our best current striker"
still has 9 Goals and 3 Assists. A striker getting 10-12 Goals 4 assists in a full
season in this league, is not "a bad striker"

If you look here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/cha ... op-scorers

You'll see that Blackman is still in the top 20 despite drawing a total blank at Derby

There are 46-100 Strikers in this league. The 20th has just 9 goals

25th has got 8 goals

Anthony Pilkington
Cardiff
347 minutes per goal

2777 minutes played
8 Goals scored
3 Assists

Vydra has played 2236 = 551 minutes less than Pilkington and has 1 more goal and the same number of assists

The third-top scorer in the league has just 16 goals

By chance Vydra hasn't scored so many league goals but he HAS scored goals (9) in a side that has been all over the place, a side where all bar one of the rest of the strike force has been dire

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Apr 2016 09:25

Read what i said. It makes clear that there is no if in this situation, that was the expectation and he's failed to meet it spectacularly.

You're clearly in shutters down mode and can't see sense. We all know there is no reasoning with you when you're in this mood so I'm not going to bother anymore because I know that no matter how hard you try to dress it up, you're wrong.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Apr 2016 10:38

Snowball136 I would sign him in a heartbeat and I believe that if we did he would score 25 goals next season

Would he bollocks. He can't hit a barn door! Have you even been to a game this season?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Apr 2016 10:42

I am under the impression he needs a good strike partner to flourish. His successful seasons have been paired with Deeney so perhaps we needed a striker of similar style along with him.

537 posts