Dellor moaning about Vydra again!!!

537 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Dellor moaning about Vydra again!!!

by Royal Rother » 13 Apr 2016 13:17

Their livelihood might depend on it but worth remembering that in reality for the rest of us it's only a bloody game - a game played by flawed human beings, not programmable robots.

Some of the comments (from media bods and fans alike) are comical.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Apr 2016 13:19

^ I'd have a modicum of sympathy if they didn't command such obscene wages in exchange for such medicority. As I have said though, this is more than a RFC issue. For me, professional footballers are down there with politicians in terms of fair game for criticism.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Apr 2016 13:20

The Sum of the Parts So, there's a player who's made a major blunder and who's clearly massively short of confidence.

His manager can either:

a) Defend him and refuse to get drawn into public criticism of him,
b) Agree that he's sh*t and that if "he was a dog he'd have been shot" - and allow that to be broadcast.

If you were his manager, trying to build up a team who have had obvious issues of confidence and motivation, and if you know that "the group" is such an important part of teamwork, what would you do?

And if you were the player, which option would you expect from your manager?

Option B - he needs to be hung out to dry. If you had a problem in your team would you carry on allowing it to happen? He's right footed - there's no excuse. I can't understand why Dellor isn't allowed to be exasperated, especially in the heat of the moment.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Apr 2016 13:24

KC Royal
bobby1413
Wimb Not saying they should be axed completely but it's time for a fresh voice or two to help mix things up.

I agree with this. About 10 games ago one of them - I think Ady - couldn't make the game so someone else stepped in. It was just refreshing hearing someone else.

As I put in the BBCRB forum, I am getting fed up with the current set up with:

Tim: "A stat for you... when Reading play at home, and it's a cloudy day, with the wind between 10 and 22mph, they will 7.2 times out of 10 draw the game.... are you following me?"

and Ady: "if we win the next 10 games, then we will be 6th - so it's not all bad..." and then Tim ... "Yes but if we lose the next 10 we will be 22nd". :roll:

I think you're right, a fresh voice, some proper debate between different types of fans would be excellent.

Or, what about this... have a guest fan (a proper fan who goes to all home games and some away) every week.

Was the person who filled in for Adie, Mike Williams? He's definitely presented the coverage for at least one of the games I've been to this season, and I'm sure he's filled in for Dellor on commentary duties in the past too. Also a Reading fan I believe, but not sure how many games he gets to. Also works for 5 Live, think I've heard him on there in the past - so like Jonny Saunders, someone who I always liked and who IIRC filled in for one game around Christmas in the last PL season.

I know Jonny Saunders doesn't work in the industry anymore, it was a surprise to hear him a few years ago but I guess it fitted in well with his teaching commitments, but maybe use either of them more often?

Mike Williams is a proper football commentator.

He may have lacked Dellor's passion but for me was a pleasure to listen when he filled in earlier this season. A straight commentary of the game with none of the nonsense.

Mind you, 50+ games in a season like this might have broken him....

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Apr 2016 13:41

Royal Rother
KC Royal
bobby1413
I agree with this. About 10 games ago one of them - I think Ady - couldn't make the game so someone else stepped in. It was just refreshing hearing someone else.

As I put in the BBCRB forum, I am getting fed up with the current set up with:

Tim: "A stat for you... when Reading play at home, and it's a cloudy day, with the wind between 10 and 22mph, they will 7.2 times out of 10 draw the game.... are you following me?"

and Ady: "if we win the next 10 games, then we will be 6th - so it's not all bad..." and then Tim ... "Yes but if we lose the next 10 we will be 22nd". :roll:

I think you're right, a fresh voice, some proper debate between different types of fans would be excellent.

Or, what about this... have a guest fan (a proper fan who goes to all home games and some away) every week.

Was the person who filled in for Adie, Mike Williams? He's definitely presented the coverage for at least one of the games I've been to this season, and I'm sure he's filled in for Dellor on commentary duties in the past too. Also a Reading fan I believe, but not sure how many games he gets to. Also works for 5 Live, think I've heard him on there in the past - so like Jonny Saunders, someone who I always liked and who IIRC filled in for one game around Christmas in the last PL season.

I know Jonny Saunders doesn't work in the industry anymore, it was a surprise to hear him a few years ago but I guess it fitted in well with his teaching commitments, but maybe use either of them more often?

Mike Williams is a proper football commentator.

He may have lacked Dellor's passion but for me was a pleasure to listen when he filled in earlier this season. A straight commentary of the game with none of the nonsense.

Mind you, 50+ games in a season like this might have broken him....

YES! It was Mike Williams - he was very good, easy to listen to, didn't wrap everything up in convoluted opinions. Much more succinct and fresh.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 13 Apr 2016 13:45

Wimb Think we're all on the same page though... if the club had been building the squad properly over the past few years we'd have others to come in and take the heat away from Vydra. As it is, right now we've got a man with 1 goal in 35 games, a youngster with about 20 goals, all in League One who's been left out on loan to be part of a team that's creating chances and in a promotion hunt. An unknown quantity from the Polish leagues who's not fully fit, Kermorgant who's also not fully up to speed or in a team that plays to his strengths or a bunch of Academy products with barely a senior game between them.

In those circumstances Brian is hoping that Vydra returns to the form from last season and with the options he has available, there's not a lot wrong with that.

Yeah Vydra's not been good enough, has missed some sitters and sadly been a waste of money but what can you do at this stage?

Sorry Wimb but that’s not quite true, he has 13 goals in total in League One!
Has 7 in 22 this season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2016 13:53

Armadillo Roadkill
Hoop Blah He dropped him for the previous two games but there was nobody else fit last night.

Do you really think playing Cox upfront on his own would've served us better?

Quite frankly, yes I do.

Cox can't play upfront on his own, he's more of a second striker than anything else and is totally ineffectual when play through the middle on his own.

McDermott had it spot on in bringing Vydra back into the side if that was the only other option.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 13 Apr 2016 13:57

I am totally serious when I say I believe Dellor is mentally ill.

At the very least he's having a nervous breakdown.

He actually asked last night for the other commentator
to take over because he couldn't handle it.

Criticism is one thing, even severe criticism but RABID RANTING is sick.

It DELLOR who needs to be put down.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Apr 2016 14:06

Snowball136 I am totally serious when I say I believe Dellor is mentally ill.

Hell of a thing to accuse someone of just because you disagree with their entirely correct opinion about the poor performances of a football player.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Apr 2016 14:13

Snowball136 He actually asked last night for the other commentator to take over because he couldn't handle it.

Did he? :shock: I missed that.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Apr 2016 14:16

Armadillo Roadkill
Hoop Blah
Armadillo Roadkill If Vydra ever plays well do you think Dellor would still criticise him? Personally I think he'd be delighted if Vydra pops up with a few well taken goals and assists in a game, and he wouldn't hesitate to give him credit.

What he probably can't explain is consistently picking an underperforming players who is a loanee. I can't understand it either, so I for one am just fine with Dellor's questions and comments.

He dropped him for the previous two games but there was nobody else fit last night.

Do you really think playing Cox upfront on his own would've served us better?

Quite frankly, yes I do.

Vydra played much better than Cox against Forest and Birmingham. He's our best striker at the moment. Criticise him all you like but we don't have a better option.

NessaFromEldorado

by NessaFromEldorado » 13 Apr 2016 14:17

Alright Mumsnet, calm down.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Apr 2016 14:26

Royal Rother
Snowball136 He actually asked last night for the other commentator to take over because he couldn't handle it.

Did he? :shock: I missed that.

Yeah, jokingly

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 14:47

Armadillo Roadkill If Vydra ever plays well do you think Dellor would still criticise him? Personally I think he'd be delighted if Vydra pops up with a few well taken goals and assists in a game, and he wouldn't hesitate to give him credit.

What he probably can't explain is consistently picking an underperforming players who is a loanee. I can't understand it either, so I for one am just fine with Dellor's questions and comments.

he can ask what he likes. ive no problem with that,

it was the fit he had that im moaning about
(exactly the same after the pen miss)

screechy deranged nonsense

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 14:50

John Smith
The Sum of the Parts So, there's a player who's made a major blunder and who's clearly massively short of confidence.

His manager can either:

a) Defend him and refuse to get drawn into public criticism of him,
b) Agree that he's sh*t and that if "he was a dog he'd have been shot" - and allow that to be broadcast.

If you were his manager, trying to build up a team who have had obvious issues of confidence and motivation, and if you know that "the group" is such an important part of teamwork, what would you do?

And if you were the player, which option would you expect from your manager?

Option B - he needs to be hung out to dry. If you had a problem in your team would you carry on allowing it to happen? He's right footed - there's no excuse. I can't understand why Dellor isn't allowed to be exasperated, especially in the heat of the moment.

that may work in your branch of macdonalds, but its really not a management style id really be pushing forward with, long term

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 14:51

sandman

Hell of a thing to accuse someone of just because you disagree with their entirely correct opinion about the poor performances of a football player.

it was a totally irrational melt down tbf

making contradictory and/or deluded statements all over the place

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2016 14:52

John Smith Option B - he needs to be hung out to dry. If you had a problem in your team would you carry on allowing it to happen? He's right footed - there's no excuse. I can't understand why Dellor isn't allowed to be exasperated, especially in the heat of the moment.

Because he should be a commentator and a journalist not a screechy fan with a chip on his shoulder about certain players or situations.

He really should be above that kind of thing in his position.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 14:53

If you had a problem in your team would you carry on allowing it to happen?

that's depends.
If I had no other strikers, or I was being forced to play him due to financial constraints it would be utterly understandable

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Apr 2016 15:23

Dellor spot on last night

And hilarious.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Apr 2016 15:25

I thought it was entertaining. And after all, I consume football to be entertained

537 posts