£3million for Ola John

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

£3million for Ola John

by Top Flight » 20 Apr 2016 20:27

Charlie Watts Get Reading article is suggesting that it may require in the order of £3million to land Ola John on a permanent deal from Benfica.

Charlie thinks that it would be unwise to shell out £3million on the Dutch wing star. Mainly beause he says that £3million amounts to near enough our full transfer budget over the summer.

Here is the link to his article
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-opinion-signing-ola-11209743

Charlie makes some good points.

What do my fellow nobbers think?

The signing of Ola John wouldn't be a gamble. It would not be a shot in the dark. Having observed him for a season, perform against Championship opponents we know exactly what we would be getting if we were to sign Ola John.

Is it worth a £3million punt on the player? We know exactly what he will bring to the table. Is what he brings to the table worth £3million? Is it worth our full budget?

I actually don't have a clue whether this would be a good move by us or not. What do you all think?

download

Re: £3million for Ola John

by download » 20 Apr 2016 20:38

Its a no from me. Starting to resemble Royston Drenthe, rather than Jimmy Kebe.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 20 Apr 2016 20:39

Top Flight Charlie Watts Get Reading article is suggesting that it may require in the order of £3million to land Ola John on a permanent deal from Benfica.

Charlie thinks that it would be unwise to shell out £3million on the Dutch wing star. Mainly beause he says that £3million amounts to near enough our full transfer budget over the summer.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-opinion-signing-ola-11209743

The signing of Ola John wouldn't be a gamble. It would not be a shot in the dark. Having observed him for a season, perform against Championship opponents we know exactly what we would be getting if we were to sign Ola John.

Is it worth a £3million punt on the player? We know exactly what he will bring to the table. Is what he brings to the table worth £3million? Is it worth our full budget?

I actually don't have a clue whether this would be a good move by us or not. What do you all think?

That ain't gonna happen

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 20 Apr 2016 20:44

download Its a no from me. Starting to resemble Royston Drenthe, rather than Jimmy Kebe.

Don't you think he has been misused a bit in the last couple of games? He is most effective when he is played wide on the left. Brian has played him in a 4-3-3 as one of the forwards or sitting in the pocket behind the front 2. He scored a cracker at Bolton from that position but apart from that, I don't think he is such a threat from that area of the pitch.

If he is played wide left, he can take on the full back, get crosses in or go past everyone and score.

Brian playing him out of position is the reason he has started to look like Royston in the last couple of games isn't it?

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 20 Apr 2016 20:47

Talented, took half a season to get up to the standard, only just a full 90 minute player, this season's Mass or Royston. No thanks.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 20:51

download Its a no from me. Starting to resemble Royston Drenthe, rather than Jimmy Kebe.

This.
Occasionally brilliant, mostly rubbish
We will need to be canny with the budget we get not blow it all on a flakey luxury

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 20 Apr 2016 20:53

Wow. Opinion has changed very quickly towards Ola John. We were loving him only a couple of weeks ago.

Remember his best position is out wide. Not sitting at the top of Brian's recent diamond formation. That's why he has turned into Royston all of a sudden, isn't it?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 20:55

Top Flight

Don't you think he has been misused a bit in the last couple of games? He is most effective when he is played wide on the left. Brian has played him in a 4-3-3 as one of the forwards or sitting in the pocket behind the front 2. He scored a cracker at Bolton from that position but apart from that, I don't think he is such a threat from that area of the pitch.

If he is played wide left, he can take on the full back, get crosses in or go past everyone and score.

Brian playing him out of position is the reason he has started to look like Royston in the last couple of games isn't it?

Was given a free role Imo. Wandered all over the pitch (apart from into his own half)

download

by download » 20 Apr 2016 20:58

Top Flight

Point taken. I suppose watching him at half time during the season with the other subs on the pitch left me with a poor opinion. Looked like he was always trying a bit half arsed.

I have a horrible feeling that before Kebe came good, I used the same about him. If it was £300K and sensible wages, I'd ask to have a think.

However BMcD's comments about all the loanees having to return home first, sounded like he wasn't interested in keeping any of them.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 20 Apr 2016 21:03

A definite no from me at that price. I'd take HarryBunn from Huddrsfield for a lot less than that

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Apr 2016 21:04

£3 million is a lot of cash for someone to sit on the bench. No thanks.

Rather us search the lower leagues for the best that's out there!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 20 Apr 2016 21:06

Goodbye Hello John

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Apr 2016 21:21

Given a chance to shine John has failed to deliver on a consistent basis. Last night when John came on. We were discussing which John would turn up on the night.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Apr 2016 21:32

Top Flight Charlie Watts Get Reading article is suggesting that it may require in the order of £3million to land Ola John on a permanent deal from Benfica.

I think he has great potential and McDermott could be a good person to develop him well, but he's not shown enough concrete performance to put all our transfer eggs in one basket with him. And at present we don't play with wingers, so it would require a change in system (completely possible).

I'd probably stretch to £1.5m, £2m if he hadn't gone flat again recently. I think that's a bit steep though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Apr 2016 21:34

Top Flight

He doesn't cross though. He fannies about and loses it or shoots. Yeah, he's put two or three fantastic crosses in, but across the whole season. Anyone can chuck a good cross in every now and then. He doesn't do it regularly at all.

Top Flight Wow. Opinion has changed very quickly towards Ola John. We were loving him only a couple of weeks ago.

Remember his best position is out wide. Not sitting at the top of Brian's recent diamond formation. That's why he has turned into Royston all of a sudden, isn't it?

No.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 20 Apr 2016 21:39

Ian Royal

I think he has great potential and McDermott could be a good person to develop him well, but he's not shown enough concrete performance to put all our transfer eggs in one basket with him. And at present we don't play with wingers, so it would require a change in system (completely possible).

I'd probably stretch to £1.5m, £2m if he hadn't gone flat again recently. I think that's a bit steep though.

I don't think Charlie knows how much John would cost, he is just having an educated guess. He's probably only worth a £500K risk for next season. A bit like Vydra. But I could see someone like Derby paying £2 or £3million for him and he'll be a revelation for them. Sometimes you got to take a risk. £3million is most probably too much.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 20 Apr 2016 22:28

Top Flight wrote:
I don't think Charlie knows how much John would cost, he is just having an educated guess. He's probably only worth a £500K risk for next season. A bit like Vydra. But I could see someone like Derby paying £2 or £3million for him and he'll be a revelation for them. Sometimes you got to take a risk. £3million is most probably too much.

Yeah, he could sit on the bench with Nick, while they chat the breeze about old times.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Apr 2016 22:55

I would hope our budget for next season is £3m, we still have our final season parachute payment of £10m and shifted a few of the high earners this season, I'm not saying go crazy but surely there's a bit more flexibility than £3m?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Apr 2016 23:17

Rakels was probably bought for not a lot. Contract weighted towards appearances and sell on value. The new Reading way.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Apr 2016 00:30

The point here, surely, is that if Brian thought he was worth that kind of money he would be in his starting line-up :|

His best chance of being here next season lies in swapping names with Vydra, pretending he's our worst and most ludicrously expensive signing of the campaign and playing all remaining matches despite his confidence being shot to pieces and missing 3 sitters per game.