Worried Supporters.

141 posts
BR2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worried Supporters.

by BR2 » 03 May 2016 12:37

Didn't I see Al-Habsi come off his line and halt Beckford in a one-on-one last Saturday?
As for Cooper I agree with Hoop Blah-there is a doubt about his concentration levels as there is with Hector, and for that matter John Stones.
It may or may not be an age thing so we will have to wait and see (painful though it is, as vision says) with Cooper.

Any way we have no need to worry as Brian , in Top Flight's world, with a new 10- year contract will just about be able to sort Cooper out before he is 30 and likewise Al-Habsi before he is 40.

Incidentally isn't the average time for a Championship manager to keep his job something less than 18 months? If so, Top Flight's wish for Brian to get at least 3 years is statistically unlikely to happen.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 May 2016 12:47

BR2
Incidentally isn't the average time for a Championship manager to keep his job something less than 18 months? If so, Top Flight's wish for Brian to get at least 3 years is statistically unlikely to happen.

How many of the managers of the teams above us have been in post longer than 18 months though.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 12:55

Well, he is a component of the team and his department definitely needs to be upgraded.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 May 2016 12:56

Lower West
BR2

How many of the managers of the teams above us have been in post longer than 18 months though.

Probably less than 50%.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 May 2016 12:57

quickwingerswife We watched Reading at Elm Park since the late 50s,then joined the nouveau riches at Madjeski and it has been fantastic. Presently the bubble has burst and we look like a relegation candidate for next season. Please someone put our minds at rest. Where's that ray of sunshine? Please keep Championship status,

I'd advise caution in expressing some very fair concern on this message board because the usual all-too-regulars here will round upon you with their customary delusion.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 May 2016 13:04

West Stand Man Conversely, without the shit period that followed the purple patch we'd be champions.

Can you really call two-thirds of the season 'a shit period'?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 13:05

floyd__streete
quickwingerswife We watched Reading at Elm Park since the late 50s,then joined the nouveau riches at Madjeski and it has been fantastic. Presently the bubble has burst and we look like a relegation candidate for next season. Please someone put our minds at rest. Where's that ray of sunshine? Please keep Championship status,

I'd advise caution in expressing some very fair concern on this message board because the usual all-too-regulars here will round upon you with their customary delusion.

What are you talking about?

A debate is an exchange of views and opinions. Of course when you make a case, someone else might make an opposite case. We don't have to all agree on everything. The nobbers have certainly opened my mind to different ways of looking at things.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 May 2016 13:12

Top Flight What are you talking about?

A debate is an exchange of views and opinions.

And on the first page alone the OP has been decried as a 'moron', a 'moaner', and told to 'oxf*rd off' as he is a 'ghastly human being' :| . Don't flatter the vocal majority of regulars on here as being capable of 'exchanging views and opinions'.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 13:17

Yeah, you're right Floyd. Not good.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 May 2016 13:20

Anyway, here's an 'exchange of views and opinions' for you. Brian McDermott is one of the very best things about the club at the moment (take that any way you want). There will inevitably be a huge turn over in playing personnel next season and it will be a difficult ask to hit the ground running, so you could expect us to struggle initially and then it depends on the patience of the Board and the supporters doesn't it. On the bright side, we've seen people like Fosu and Samuel excel out on loan so hopefully they will get the chance and we've got to hope and pray they can step up because otherwise you'd have to say based on all the evidence of the last couple of seasons we are going to struggle and struggle badly. Sorry if that isn't unduly positive enough.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2016 13:24

I'm loving Top Flight's view that Al-Habsi iand midfield are at fault for all Cooper's errors, despite Al-Habsi regulatrly pulling Cooper's arse out the fire.

And bases this on not claiming a loose ball he couldn't see due to the sun, following a poor individual mistake from Cooper heading it straight up rather than away. This is despite us not conceding, but the mistakes Cooper makes where Al-Habsi saves him aren't worthy of note.

Al-Habsi had a shaky start, but hasnt actually cost us many goals and has clearly been one of the best 5 performers even if you disagree on PotS. Cooper absolutely hasn't.

If he can nail his reading of the game so he doesn't have to adjust his giraffe legs on the fly he should be a clear asset.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 13:24

Just had a look at the two Preston goals on YouTube. Here is the link if anyone wants to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZ6QQhkzQc

Communication breakdown between McShane and Al Habsi for the first goal. McShane was expecting Al Habsi to come out and collect. If Al Habsi would have come out I'm sure he would have collected it. (Poor judgement and lack of bravery again from Al Habsi, result is another goal conceded and another game lost.)

The second goal was because of terrible team work and appalling defensive organisation. The midfield were not interested to defend. There was so much space between our defenders and midfielders. Cooper and McShane had no chance when they get out numbered and out played like that. Williams and Norwood should have been back, closing out the space.

Athletico Madrid, we are certainly not.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 13:27

floyd__streete Anyway, here's an 'exchange of views and opinions' for you. Brian McDermott is one of the very best things about the club at the moment (take that any way you want). There will inevitably be a huge turn over in playing personnel next season and it will be a difficult ask to hit the ground running, so you could expect us to struggle initially and then it depends on the patience of the Board and the supporters doesn't it. On the bright side, we've seen people like Fosu and Samuel excel out on loan so hopefully they will get the chance and we've got to hope and pray they can step up because otherwise you'd have to say based on all the evidence of the last couple of seasons we are going to struggle and struggle badly. Sorry if that isn't unduly positive enough.

Floyd, I agree with you completely.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 May 2016 13:31

Hoop Blah
Lower West
BR2

Probably less than 50%.

60%. With league standing reflecting this as well. Continuity is a factor in being successfull.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 May 2016 13:34

Are they still in the job because they've been successful?

Or successful because they're still in the job and clubs have maintained a bit of consistency?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 13:34

Thank you Lower West.

Case Closed.

Now let's get on with supporting McDermott and let's give him that 10 year contract.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 13:36

Hoop Blah Are they still in the job because they've been successful?

Or successful because they're still in the job and clubs have maintained a bit of consistency?

It's probably a bit of both Hoop Blah.

I can't believe we are having a debate now about whether 3 months is enough time to judge a manager and if he hasn't made any improvements inside 3 months it would be ok to sack him....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 May 2016 13:41

Top Flight
Hoop Blah Are they still in the job because they've been successful?

It's probably a bit of both Hoop Blah.

I can't believe we are having a debate now about whether 3 months is enough time to judge a manager and if he hasn't made any improvements inside 3 months it would be ok to sack him....

I don't think anyone is saying 3 months, it's whether it's realistic to think a manager can get 3 years without some degree of success before getting the boot. A manager in this day and age won't get a lot more than 18 months (depending on circumstances).

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 03 May 2016 13:43

Things that I have seen every game at the mad stad this season:

- Al-Habsi bailing out our sleeping defence
Main culprit being Cooper although sure McShane has been guilty of sleeping a few times (he certainly did on Saturday)

- Norwood playing switch balls out of play

- Williams moaning at team mates

- Long flighted passes from the defence in to our giant target man up front (oh wait we don't have one so why do we do it?!)
Common sense, lets face it the majority of Championship centre backs are 6ft 2+, we have Cox, Vydra, Yann and Rakels all small strikers in size. Why on earth are we playing the ball in the air and into the hands of the opposition defence?

We need to start distributing the ball out to the wings and get back to our old counter attacking ways.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 May 2016 13:47

Lower West 60%. With league standing reflecting this as well. Continuity is a factor in being successfull.

60% of the managers above us in the Championship have been in post more than 18 months? Are you sure?

There are 14 teams above us. I make the following less than 18 months (not sure why I bothered to check it)

Hughton
Wassell
Carvalhal
Slade
Smith
Evans
Hasslebank
Lambert

Now in my book, 8 of 14 equates to 57%.

141 posts