who remebers 1988....

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spread eagle

who remebers 1988....

by spread eagle » 11 May 2016 16:17

when the club did a deal with british rail to take 1 adult and child free of charge to wolves v royals
and half the kids of reading went missing for a day !! :D

wolves fans was singing "we hate cockneys.....etc"
and the reading fans joined in with the chanting the same thing .....very funny.

but who else went from here ?

OldBiscuit

Re: who remebers 1988....

by OldBiscuit » 11 May 2016 21:02

We were even more shit then and got relegated if I remember correctly.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 11 May 2016 21:07

No I don't.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 May 2016 21:16

I remebers 1988 but don't remebers this tale sorry.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 May 2016 21:46

I got the Network South East special that day and walked to the stadium behind a hugely unimpressed Billy Whitehurst,

We were shit, Molyneux looked like it had just been bombed by the Luftwaffe, Andy Mutch, who I worked with about 5 years back, got both goals and I have vague recollections of Karl Elsey running around like headless chicken all afternoon.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 11 May 2016 22:18

Yes I remember 1988, was working in the Middle East training the Kuwaitis, met Dave Mackay (always pissed), Lawrie Mcmenemy, Eric Gates and our very own Steve Hetzke, really could do with him now.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 May 2016 19:33

I remember every game from the Simod cup as I went to all of them. I went to all the league homes and a few away's but I have a job remembering any. Ipswich at home the first game after the simod cup when 30k fans vanished sticks in my head. The Ipswich fans were very gernerous with there aplause when we paraded the cup. Bearing in mind this was a club that had won major trophies would have been easy for them to take the piss. Respect

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 May 2016 19:54

^ was there....one of the "few"

Wasn't that the game that Colin Baillie and Neil Smillie were dropped pre-match by Brian Infoot......(reasons still unknown)..... We lost and our downward trajectory continued.

And on another note.....Ipswich fans have always been good to us.....last game of the season 1987, they donated their loose change in the direction of the away end (ours) at eye-level and at a rapid rate of knots.....(thanx to a Steve Richardson equaliser, a 1-1 draw the score, thirteenth position for us....this was our highest ever league finish!)....happy days....I got hit with a 50p....a decent return compared to others

Simple things...simple minds, but some of our current clientel have been brought-up spoilt in the last 20 years or so......they are yet to experience the alternatives.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 12 May 2016 20:42

AthleticoSpizz ^ was there....one of the "few"

Wasn't that the game that Colin Baillie and Neil Smillie were dropped pre-match by Brian Infoot......(reasons still unknown)..... We lost and our downward trajectory continued.

And on another note.....Ipswich fans have always been good to us.....last game of the season 1987, they donated their loose change in the direction of the away end (ours) at eye-level and at a rapid rate of knots.....(thanx to a Steve Richardson equaliser, a 1-1 draw the score, thirteenth position for us....this was our highest ever league finish!)....happy days....I got hit with a 50p....a decent return compared to others

Simple things...simple minds, but some of our current clientel have been brought-up spoilt in the last 20 years or so......they are yet to experience the alternatives.

I remember 1948, but have forgotten the years in between, for the most part thankfully. Glad I woke up in 2006.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 May 2016 20:51

Respect to you Oldun

My first days were the bleak 1971's......grassless pitches ( and yet we whinge about a few "rugby-induced" brown spots at the Madejski these days)....absolute lols

Big old blue ex-army Bedford Police wagon already full of irate drunken bums banging on the walls as you entered the SB turnstiles

My mates dad parking on the grass verges on Tilehurst Road as we disgourged from the back of his Anglia van

Smoking fans, damp coats, no segregation

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 12 May 2016 22:55

AthleticoSpizz Respect to you Oldun

My first days were the bleak 1971's......grassless pitches ( and yet we whinge about a few "rugby-induced" brown spots at the Madejski these days)....absolute lols

Big old blue ex-army Bedford Police wagon already full of irate drunken bums banging on the walls as you entered the SB turnstiles

My mates dad parking on the grass verges on Tilehurst Road as we disgourged from the back of his Anglia van

With you there AS. Better than today's antiseptic atmosphere.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 May 2016 23:05

They don't know they're born etc :wink:

Seriously...although you obviously predate me

To listen to the whingeing and whining on here from pricks that have only ever experienced seated stadiums and golf-course pitches, regularly becomes laughable, admittedly, they are too far away from the pitch to voice their opinions these days.

Remember Norman Hunters biography stating that he got pelters from the Reading crowd at EP once.....and actually put him off of his game

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2016 08:50

AthleticoSpizz Remember Norman Hunters biography stating that he got pelters from the Reading crowd at EP once.....and actually put him off of his game

Well we would have only been fitting in with the "pelters" we got from the Bristol City support at the time....

Also, remind me, when did players start coming out 45 mins before ko to warm up. Seem to have vague memories that they just used to run out before kick off and play.....

The Sum of the Parts
Location: "The Sum of the Parts - the evolution of the perfect team" - Publication April 9th 2016

by The Sum of the Parts » 13 May 2016 14:59

AthleticoSpizz Remember Norman Hunters biography stating that he got pelters from the Reading crowd at EP once.....and actually put him off of his game

That would be the 7-0 home win at the end of December 1979. Allan Clarke's last match as Barnsley player-manager before hanging his boots up, ISTR - and he took them down a coal mine the next week to show them what life was like for their supporters.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 May 2016 15:59

I remember it coming very quickly after 1987 ended.

Hope that helps.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 May 2016 18:16

Sutekh
Also, remind me, when did players start coming out 45 mins before ko to warm up. Seem to have vague memories that they just used to run out before kick off and play.....

It's always happened but with a less sports scientific approach which usually consisted of the forwards welting the ball at the keeper as hard as they could, Martin Hicks practicing his towering headers and everyone else wandering around aimlessly. Think Sunday league without the cigs.

The Sum of the Parts
Location: "The Sum of the Parts - the evolution of the perfect team" - Publication April 9th 2016

by The Sum of the Parts » 17 May 2016 10:28

From Despair To Where?
Sutekh

It's always happened but with a less sports scientific approach which usually consisted of the forwards welting the ball at the keeper as hard as they could, Martin Hicks practicing his towering headers and everyone else wandering around aimlessly. Think Sunday league without the cigs.

Although the first appearance of one or two of them would be at 2.45pm when they would come out of The Spreadeagle and go to get changed.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 18 May 2016 11:52

Yep, I was on it #loyalroyals

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 18 May 2016 12:39

AthleticoSpizz wrote:

Respect to you Oldun

Nostalgic overview there Spizz. Especially the Bedford Police wagon bit. Memories or what? Plus let's not forget the toilets, urinals....okay yeah, they were bogs, in every sense of the word. The thing was, they were our bogs and they stunk to high heaven. Does heaven really smell like that? :lol: How can the stench of stale piss, floating around in cracked concrete troughs, accompanied by the odour of alcoholic fag fumes, ever be forgotten. Shame you can't write a book mate. Entitled 'Tales of the Southbank' :wink:

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1