McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

565 posts
starbug

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by starbug » 29 May 2016 09:49

As the season ended I said to myself that I wouldn't renew my season ticket if Brian was still in charge, firstly as there would little to look forward to next season but more importantly would be the complete lack of ambition it would show of the owners. If they were to keep Brian it demonstrates they would be at least content with the terrible performances and results which would be a terrible sign of things to come.

As much as everyone likes Brian its clear he wasn't addressing the problems on the pitch and the owners recognised that. In the same way that Brian would eulogise about the players after the game despite playing terribly, the fans are doing the same with Brian despite terrible results. Whilst circumstances have been difficult (they are rarely easy) there were too few positives to justify keeping him on.

I'm sad for him but pleased for the club and looking to renew my season ticket again.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 May 2016 09:52

Nameless
Harpers So Solid Crew I don't get why they didn't sack him after the final game. Why wait??

The thing with the Thai's is they have to be in control, just look at other Thai owners, if they get hassle aboit what they want to do they get in a huff.

Hull Tigers, Cardiff playing in red.

This lot will walk if REP gets refused, which it should on parking loss alone

Hull are owned by an Egyptian
Vincent Tan is Malaysian.

But easy mistake to make.....

They're Johnny Foreigners ain't they?

Yours

Britain First

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 29 May 2016 10:09

Sutekh Generally agree with the consensus that the Thais appear to have no idea how to run a football club. Seem to be desperate to get to the PL but want to do it by spending no money whatsoever and any money we get for players is thrown away on manager settlements.

Clueless.

Of course if this is totally wrong then why do they not come and talk to us and tell us what the strategy is and what the hell is going in at the club at all levels.

Please, Sasima, put someone up to us/the media to talk and answer questions.

This is it for me. With the 10's of investors/owners/chairmen/little old Thai ladies you'd think one of them could putting a oxf*rd statement to explain their actions and what the actual plan for the club is, because for me as a supporter it looks like an utter shambles.

Clarkes comments on Sky are certainly looking to be more than just sour grapes.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 29 May 2016 10:13

Looking at this, why is anyone surprised he got the sack? He should have expected it.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ch ... table/form

And before the apologists come on the board and say it wasn't his team, give him time etc, look at Rotherham.

The only thing in my mind the Owners have got badly wrong is not coming out and facing the press and fans and explaining the reasons and strategy going forward. Not just sending out some crappy Press statement. And again don't tell me it's not their culture etc as that's bol***ks

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 May 2016 10:22

Haag Royal Looking at this, why is anyone surprised he got the sack? He should have expected it.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ch ... table/form

And before the apologists come on the board and say it wasn't his team, give him time etc, look at Rotherham.

I was a McDermott fan but also disappointed overall with the results.

But this was an exceptional set of circumstances

A seriously demotivated side with 6+ loanees who really didn't care, who then cared ZERO once we missed out on the FA Cup Semi.

Before McD came in we had fallen away extremely badly and were down to about half a point a game, likely relegation candidates. It was only that brief purple patch (6 wins in 7) under SC that made it look not-so-bad but our position was false.

We then lost our two top strikers and a few players knew they were leaving (all the loanees, HRK etc)

Merely avoiding relegation under those circumstances is competent. Mc D had us 12 points clear. We were and are a club in serious trouble, at a crossroads.

As for Rotherham. How many loanees?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 May 2016 10:24

Thais want success, regardless what anyone thinks they have saved us from administration and complimented an already decent squad with more money to make an assault on the championship, all under the guidance of existence staff members and recommended managers - all have failed!

Who can blame them for this approach. Although a McDermott fan sadly he was not inspiring the team to greater things.

Thais are now wanting to do it their way and who can blame them. Who's to say their way will be wrong.... Let's wait and see.

I would be very excited about a Stam appointment. Decent links, world renown name, defensive attributes and clearly ambitious coming from good stock. I will be less positive with our Azerbijan wannabe!

So, sit back, let it all unfold and give the Thais a chance - this is their way now, it might just be the right way!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 May 2016 10:34

While (see above) I wouldn't for a minute say Brian did brilliantly
under his tenure he was averaging 19 points a season more than
the last ten games under Clarke and that is DESPITE losing Blackman
and Sa, and having a loanee/end of contract group who would naturally
become less and less interested,

He also got us a 2-2 away draw followed by 5-2, 4-0, 3-1 wins (the last one against Premiership WBA) and we lost to the FA Cup Finalists

Last 10 Games under Clarke

23 10 1 3 6 0 03 10 18 -08 6 0.60 Reading (27.6 Points over 46 games at this rate)
24 10 0 5 5 2 05 07 13 -06 5 0.50 Bolton Wanderers

Under McDermott (not including Cup Games)

21 25 6 7 12 6 06 25 34 -09 25 1.00 Reading (46 Points over 46 games at this rate)

22 25 5 7 13 5 13 21 46 -25 22 0.88 Charlton Athletic
23 25 4 8 13 6 07 22 41 -19 20 0.80 Milton Keynes Dons
24 25 4 5 16 3 08 25 50 -25 17 0.68 Bolton Wanderers

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 May 2016 10:38

And yet the most important stat you ignore... 9 points from 39 - 9 points from 13 games....= awful, relegation, backwards....

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 29 May 2016 10:43

paultheroyal And yet the most important stat you ignore... 9 points from 39 - 9 points from 13 games....= awful, relegation, backwards....

+1

The only redeeming feature to the end of the season results might have been had we gone out in a blaze of glory - attacking football, passion, being first to 50:50 balls, looking as if we cared and giving something to the fans to look forward to. But as discussed on this thread numerous times we got none of that.

Maybe, just maybe the Thai's have got it right - I just wish they'd come out and say how, what why and where. Silence is doing them no favours.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 May 2016 10:46

Haag Royal
AthleticoSpizz Think that you are just one of the many at this moment in time.

For sure..I don't like where my money might be going

Quite probably on a better manager than the one we had.

Yep. Pantsitch and Jaap(s eye) Stam, top quality managers with years of experience at this level.

They'll go well with our 34 year old technical director, the bloke who sold Man City that one time and not forgetting our two fishermen owners and their granny who writes shit pop songs.

But yeah, I'm sure we'll be better off. Just like the last time we sacked McDermott when you and others assured us we'd be "better".
Last edited by sandman on 29 May 2016 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 29 May 2016 10:49

sandman
Haag Royal
AthleticoSpizz Think that you are just one of the many at this moment in time.

For sure..I don't like where my money might be going

Quite probably on a better manager than the one we had.

Yep. Pantsitch and Jaap(s eye) Stam, top quality managers with years of experience at this level.

They'll go well with our 34 year old technical director, the bloke who sold Man City that one time and not forgetting our two fishermen owners and their granny who writes shit pop sons.

But yeah, I'm sure we'll be better off. Just like the last time we sacked McDermott when you and others assured us we'd be "better".

I may have missed something? Have we already appointed his replacement? You really should calm down until we know who will replace him......

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 May 2016 10:51

Sutekh Seem to be desperate to get to the PL but want to do it by spending no money whatsoever and any money we get for players is thrown away on manager settlements.

Clueless.

No desperation. They care little for the football club itself. They've identified sufficient assets to cover their purchase outlay.

Last summers influx of loans seems to make better sense now. No long term commitment. Clarke's wish to leave may be becoming more apparent. As the cracks have well and truly opened up.
Last edited by Lower West on 29 May 2016 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2016 11:06

starbug As the season ended I said to myself that I wouldn't renew my season ticket if Brian was still in charge, firstly as there would little to look forward to next season but more importantly would be the complete lack of ambition it would show of the owners. If they were to keep Brian it demonstrates they would be at least content with the terrible performances and results which would be a terrible sign of things to come.

As much as everyone likes Brian its clear he wasn't addressing the problems on the pitch and the owners recognised that. In the same way that Brian would eulogise about the players after the game despite playing terribly, the fans are doing the same with Brian despite terrible results. Whilst circumstances have been difficult (they are rarely easy) there were too few positives to justify keeping him on.

I'm sad for him but pleased for the club and looking to renew my season ticket again.

I don't think your analysis is right. I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I didn't want Brian sacked, is not because he is a nice bloke and I love him. I'm not sad for Brian. I'm sad for myself. I'm sad for Reading FC. I'm sad because our future prospects look greatly diminshed, I'm sad because it now looks like League One is a far greater likelihood for us at the end of next season, I'm sad because it looks like the owners will keep bringing people in who don't know how to deal with the Championship. It's because Brian is a very talented manager, a good tactician and a great judge of a footballer both in terms of their ability and also character that I'm sad. I'm sad because Brian knows the division and knows how to get out of the right end of it.

I'm also sad of what our football club has become. You said this " its clear he wasn't addressing the problems on the pitch" In my opinion, the problems on the pitch were caused by us having an unbalanced squad of players with poor character and attitude. That problem can only be resolved during a transfer window. It wasn't going to be resolved during the season. That is why it was so wrong to sack Brian now. He didn't get the chance to do his job.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 May 2016 11:10

Can't address problems on the pitch with one transfer window and a squad that isn't yours.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 May 2016 11:17

Top Flight I don't think your analysis is right. I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I didn't want Brian sacked, is not because he is a nice bloke and I love him. I'm not sad for Brian. I'm sad for myself. I'm sad for Reading FC. I'm sad because our future prospects look greatly diminshed, I'm sad because it now looks like League One is a far greater likelihood for us at the end of next season, I'm sad because it looks like the owners will keep bringing people in who don't know how to deal with the Championship. It's because Brian is a very talented manager, a good tactician and a great judge of a footballer both in terms of their ability and also character that I'm sad. I'm sad because Brian knows the division and knows how to get out of the right end of it.

I'm also sad of what our football club has become. You said this " its clear he wasn't addressing the problems on the pitch" In my opinion, the problems on the pitch were caused by us having an unbalanced squad of players with poor character and attitude. That problem can only be resolved during a transfer window. It wasn't going to be resolved during the season. That is why it was so wrong to sack Brian now. He didn't get the chance to do his job.

I share the sadness, but more because I think it shows the club has lost a bit of its heart in not giving the manager the chance to really get his teeth into the job.

I'm sad because I'm not sure it bodes well for the future of the club.

I'm not sure I can agree that Brian was the manager you believe him to be, or the great judge of a player and his character you claim he is and so I don't think this, depending on the replacement, really changes our prospect next season.

I'm just a bit concerned about what the club is becoming without Madejski at the wheel.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 May 2016 11:39

paultheroyal And yet the most important stat you ignore... 9 points from 39 - 9 points from 13 games....= awful, relegation, backwards....

I didn't ignore it.

I specifically mentioned that the motivation, already low, plummeted after the FA Cup defeat to Palace

There were then 11 games in the league, 11 of the 13 you quote

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 29 May 2016 11:42

sandman Can't address problems on the pitch with one transfer window and a squad that isn't yours.

It was a good squad as early results showed. There was never going to be an influx of players which BM knew when he took job, he just failed to get the best out of them ..

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 May 2016 11:42

What worries me the most is that we have good football people telling us that things are not right at this football club yet we still have fans going on about how this is so positive and will make them renew.

Simon Cox loves Reading FC he's a supporter as well as a former player and has inside knowledge of the workings around the club and he's telling you things aren't right. Jake Taylor, Jem Karacan, Dave Kitson, Kevin Dillon are all saying the same.

Our greatest ever manager was on TV a couple of months ago saying the football club has lost it's identity due to the change of owners and that things aren't right at the top of the club because the owners have a lack of leadership, which is vital for the success of a club like Reading.

Even Steve Clarke, and whatever you think of Steve Clarke he is a real football man, said that it's difficult to manage upwards with these owners.

Again, these are football people, they know what they are talking about and they are telling you that something is seriously wrong.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 May 2016 11:50

Agreed, albeit with the caveat that some of those may have their judgement clouded by their own personal treatment at the club.

Also, there is more than one way to skin a cat etc.

sloughroyal123

by sloughroyal123 » 29 May 2016 11:51

sandman What worries me the most is that we have good football people telling us that things are not right at this football club yet we still have fans going on about how this is so positive and will make them renew.

Simon Cox loves Reading FC he's a supporter as well as a former player and has inside knowledge of the workings around the club and he's telling you things aren't right. Jake Taylor, Jem Karacan, Dave Kitson, Kevin Dillon are all saying the same.

Our greatest ever manager was on TV a couple of months ago saying the football club has lost it's identity due to the change of owners and that things aren't right at the top of the club because the owners have a lack of leadership, which is vital for the success of a club like Reading.

Even Steve Clarke, and whatever you think of Steve Clarke he is a real football man, said that it's difficult to manage upwards with these owners.

Again, these are football people, they know what they are talking about and they are telling you that something is seriously wrong.

+100000

565 posts