Is this the end for Madejski?

130 posts
paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Is this the end for Madejski?

by paddy20 » 15 Jun 2016 09:09

facaldaqui Although I agree with Madejski, it was wrong to say it at Stam's press conference. But he is not the only one to have spoken out of turn--Howe has done too. I find Howe's remarks unnecessary and rude towards a man who had employed him for years. But it shows where the power base is. Howe is running the club with the Thais and Sir John is sidelined. So I can't see how Madejski can last much longer. I think this reveals Howe might have been instrumental in Brian's sacking--so he'd better be right about this Stam. If Stam fails, and the Thais fail, Madejski's remarks will not seem so amiss in retrospect.

I do worry when a man makes decisions based on keeping his job. JM was out of order but Howes' comments later showed a lack of class. It doesn't seem as though he has much loyalty towards JM anymore.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 15 Jun 2016 09:19

paddy20
facaldaqui Although I agree with Madejski, it was wrong to say it at Stam's press conference. But he is not the only one to have spoken out of turn--Howe has done too. I find Howe's remarks unnecessary and rude towards a man who had employed him for years. But it shows where the power base is. Howe is running the club with the Thais and Sir John is sidelined. So I can't see how Madejski can last much longer. I think this reveals Howe might have been instrumental in Brian's sacking--so he'd better be right about this Stam. If Stam fails, and the Thais fail, Madejski's remarks will not seem so amiss in retrospect.

I do worry when a man makes decisions based on keeping his job. JM was out of order but Howes' comments later showed a lack of class. It doesn't seem as though he has much loyalty towards JM anymore.

Its called the real world.Sadly Loyalty counts for nothing anymore.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jun 2016 09:21

There is nothing wrong really with Madejski's comments. If you saw the whole conference, you would have seen that Madejski genuinely supports Jaap Stam and wants him to do well as I'm sure, we all do.

That doesn't alter the fact that sacking McDermott was a wrong decision. It was wrong in the eyes of Madejski, it was wrong in the eyes of Sandman, it was wrong in the eyes of Ian Royal, it was wrong in my eyes as well. It wasn't wrong in everybodies eyes though.

Madejski was just letting us all know for certain what we already suspected anyway, that it was the Thai's decision to fire McDermott and not the Mad mans. Madejski has done so much for Reading football club. He is an absolute RFC legend. He took us from tinpot (League One, League Two) to plastic fantastic (Championship/Premiership) football club. Always a legend in my book.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 15 Jun 2016 13:33

Lets look at the evidence:

Its 1990, pre JM. Club is fucked.

JM buys club, we start winning, people (that's you) start supporting RFC.

1998, JM goes on a long holiday, things start going tits up.

JM comes back, we go on a 12 year winning streak.

JM then sells up. Club is fucked.

I rest my case.

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 15 Jun 2016 14:01

Tony Le Mesmer Lets look at the evidence:

I rest my case.

Point 1 - I started supporting the club in 1977, long before SJM had anything to do with Reading FC

Point 2 - Cant see many people disagreeing with the rest of your post but your missing the point, even legends of the club say the wrong things at the wrong time and surely jeopordise their standing within the club as a result

Point 3 - The club was well on its way to being f****d before SJM sold up, as he had stated many times that he could no longer finance it or take it forward, therefore what position would we be in now if he was still the owner?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Jun 2016 14:29

hes in the position where he can say what he wants, because he has no say.
if the thais want to get rid of him that's up to them, and im sure he is aware that's a possibility.
fair play that he forced his say into the media. I don't disagree with him, though id question his timing

apparently there wasn't even a chair for him at the conference, but he pulled one up and inserted himself in anyway.
god love the mad old goat :lol:

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Jun 2016 14:30

Dixeyroyal

I rest my case.

Point 1 - I started supporting the club in 1977, long before SJM had anything to do with Reading FC

Point 2 - Cant see many people disagreeing with the rest of your post but your missing the point, even legends of the club say the wrong things at the wrong time and surely jeopordise their standing within the club as a result

Point 3 - The club was well on its way to being f****d before SJM sold up, as he had stated many times that he could no longer finance it or take it forward, therefore what position would we be in now if he was still the owner?

the same one, but with an owner who knew stuff about us, football finance, and the league

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jun 2016 17:21

Dixeyroyal Point 3 - The club was well on its way to being f****d before SJM sold up, as he had stated many times that he could no longer finance it or take it forward, therefore what position would we be in now if he was still the owner?
I imagine we would have gone with the youth products rather than loanees last season and I imagine Brian would be manager, Hammond still DoF and SJM being open and honest about the situation, still be blaming Anton though and the fans, seeing the youth on the field would probably see we were building towards something.
Of course, SJM would them sell up to the next set of investors who had funds to buy the club and we might be in a better or worse state.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Jun 2016 18:45

Nor forget that SJM is 75. Hardly a spring chicken. A succession plan was necessary.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jun 2016 20:45

paddy20

Why should he? Madejski was his employer and voluntarily decided to sell the business Howe works for. Howe actual has a contractual and moral duty to switch his loyalty to his new employer. If Madejski wants Howe's first loyalty to be with him then he needs to offer Howe a paid job in one of his own businesses. I am extremely loyal to one of my old bosses who sold our business but if there is now a conflict of interest between him and the current owners (my employers) my loyalty has to be to the latter, unless I choose to leave their employment.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jun 2016 20:49

I rest my case.

Correction. Madejski chose to leave our country for an extended period to avoid tax! That is legal. However, what stinks IMO is that he then returns to the country, donates some cash to an Academy ,which is then named after him and, in doing so, 'earns' himself a Knighthood. We would not need to rely on donations to fund our schools if people didn't opt to avoid tax in this manner.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Jun 2016 21:02

Top Flight it was wrong in the eyes of Sandman, it was wrong in the eyes of Ian Royal, it was wrong in my eyes as well.

If that doesn't convince people it was the right decision then nothing will.........

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Jun 2016 21:22

He will be gone by Xmas.

Oops wrong thread.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jun 2016 21:29

RoyalBlue

I rest my case.

Correction. Madejski chose to leave our country for an extended period to avoid tax! That is legal. However, what stinks IMO is that he then returns to the country, donates some cash to an Academy ,which is then named after him and, in doing so, 'earns' himself a Knighthood. We would not need to rely on donations to fund our schools if people didn't opt to avoid tax in this manner.

Correction. He was awarded the knighthood for a range of activities, not specifically for backing the Academy. I would agree with the general point that if rich people didn't avoid paying tax then we wouldn't need rich people to make charitable donations. On the other hand having avoided the tax many people don't use the proceeds charitably.
But I can't see why anyone would want to be knighted anyway !

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 15 Jun 2016 21:52

Some of the stuff posted in here is so wide of the mark.

What SJM did on Monday was shameful and embarrassing, and will hopefully see him removed from such deputies in the future. In fact, he shouldn't have even been there in the first place but turned up last minute at a point where it would have been impossible to remove him. He has no say in the day to day running of the club any more, so why should he be involved with such an important and high profile press conference? I'm sure Stam has thick skin, but it was very disrespectful to the man tasked with moving the club forward.

Howe has done the right thing by challenging the timing of the comments. At the end of the day he has to look after the interests of the club, and SJM put these in jeopardy with his crass comments.

SJM should stick to what he does best, getting pissed in the Director's Lounge.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jun 2016 07:48

Just :lol: at the screamy ab-dab hysterics on here.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Jun 2016 09:25

RoyalBlue
paddy20

Why should he? Madejski was his employer and voluntarily decided to sell the business Howe works for. Howe actual has a contractual and moral duty to switch his loyalty to his new employer. If Madejski wants Howe's first loyalty to be with him then he needs to offer Howe a paid job in one of his own businesses. I am extremely loyal to one of my old bosses who sold our business but if there is now a conflict of interest between him and the current owners (my employers) my loyalty has to be to the latter, unless I choose to leave their employment.

He could have achieved that by remaining silent and not openly critisising Jm. I would have though JM deceived at least that.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Jun 2016 09:28

Why did SJM not voice his opinions when BM was sacked? - If it's the media attention he wanted then one call to Sky Sports News and a camera truck and reporter would have been at a place of his choosing to record his views.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 Jun 2016 09:29

Avon Royal
Top Flight it was wrong in the eyes of Sandman, it was wrong in the eyes of Ian Royal, it was wrong in my eyes as well.

If that doesn't convince people it was the right decision then nothing will.........

It was wrong in Maneki Neko's eyes as well.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Jun 2016 09:30

RoyalBlue
paddy20

He could have remained silent. I would have thought JM deserved at least that after their long relationship. He didn't need to belittle him.

130 posts